• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A Warning About ET's Intentions

The latter is the only theoretical alternative I ever heard of. If anything else could be a basis of life, in the real world, biochemists probably would've thought of it by now.;)

Ahhhh yes, but you are assuming that our minds can expand that far. We have only just started our jouney into the mysteries of the universe and we are still in preschool. Probaby still in the womb! We have so much to learn and discover. ::)

:confused:But they said it assimilated carbon. It may not be based on conventional energy/food sources but that's a different issue.

I hardly think it is a different issue...we were talking about non-Carbon based life. It exists. It exists here on earth. It may assimilate non-organic carbon, but the life form is still sulfur based. Nowhere in the article does it say that without carbon this particular organism will not survive.

My point is thus: if non-carbon based life can exist as a subset within a large pool of life which is largely carbon based, it is not unthinkable that there can be other non-carbon based life forms.

Funny that a party with superior capability chooses to hide.

I imagine they are no more "hiding" than we are hiding from the millions of species of animal and insect life that inhabit this planet along with us who are either totally ignorant of our presence or have only a rudimentary awareness of us. Certainly no other species has an understanding of human society in the least. Therefore someone a notch or two up the food chain on us might have a similar advantage to that we enjoy. It has to do with our ability to perceive I suspect and not anything they are doing to "hide" from us.

I hardly think it is a different issue...we were talking about non-Carbon based life. It exists. It exists here on earth. It may assimilate non-organic carbon, but the life form is still sulfur based. Nowhere in the article does it say that without carbon this particular organism will not survive

It's just another kind of bacteria and they're carbon based. Sulfur is just its energy source.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

I imagine they are no more "hiding" than we are hiding from the millions of species of animal and insect life that inhabit this planet along with us who are either totally ignorant of our presence or have only a rudimentary awareness of us.

They are most definitely aware of us. Humans have usurped so much of their habitat and resources, even driven many to extinction.

Therefore someone a notch or two up the food chain on us might have a similar advantage to that we enjoy. It has to do with our ability to perceive I suspect and not anything they are doing to "hide" from us.

We can perceive the phenomenon, easily, when it appears but that happens only sporadically. There's no doubt the phenomenon could let us perceive it all the time just by staying put and not going away but it doesn't.

And I wonder how a species with a hive mind, one without much individuality, would react to the prospect of several billion humans all with their own ideas and agendas and armed with intelligence, technology, and knowledge of their existence. That's a whole lot of different outlooks to worry about. Hopefully if it ever does happen we'll meet a species of individuals like we are. They would understand us more and would recognize that the actions of one shouldn't be cause to damn an entire species. But if we encounter an intelligent species more like bees, one with a collective conscious, they might not understand us at all and could interpret some actions in a way that would be devastating for us.

They are most definitely aware of us. Humans have usurped so much of their habitat and resources, even driven many to extinction.

You actually think that any species of animal on this planet has any real conception of what the human presence on this planet is and what it is doing? I don't think so. Some have a rudimentary awareness of us as threats but most don't even have that. No my friend, I think you're missing a vital point here. The neurological superiority of humans places us almost on another plane of existence were our actions and intentions are pretty much incomprehensible to even the most intelligent animals on the planet. If there is some non-human intelligence sharing the Earth with us, it is entirely possible that we are neurologically inferior to the degree that we would have to struggle to even be aware of their presence even with instrumentation to expand the range of our senses. Of course I could be wrong and I certainly reserve that right. I just think we've been thinking about his wrong.

The neurological superiority of humans places us almost on another plane of existence were our actions and intentions are pretty much incomprehensible to even the most intelligent animals on the planet. If there is some non-human intelligence sharing the Earth with us, it is entirely possible that we are neurologically inferior to the degree that we would have to struggle to even be aware of their presence even with instrumentation to expand the range of our senses. Of course I could be wrong and I certainly reserve that right. I just think we've been thinking about his wrong.

OK so we might not understand the actions and intentions of a "higher" species. But just as many animals are frequently or constantly aware of our presence it should at least be obvious that they're here. As I said before, we CAN observe the phenomenon; it leaves plenty of evidence of various kinds. But it just won't stay put. It goes away upon being noted, which argues for origin elsewhere.

Back