• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A Science Minute

Is Science the Only Standard for Truth?

• Total voters
Oscillating Pulsar - A New Theory on X-Ray/Radio Pulsars
Instead of spinning they act as gigantic electrical circuits.

Human Powered Helicopter
On June 13th, 2013, the AeroVelo Atlas Human-Powered Helicopter
captured the long standing AHS Sikorsky Prize with a flight lasting 64.1 seconds
and reaching an altitude of 3.3 metres.
Visit AeroVelo for more details.
The competition was initially opened in 1980, and over the course of the 33 years that followed,
dozens of teams from around the world pushed the limits of existing technology in pursuit
of this once-thought-to-be impossible goal. This video is a compilation of footage
from the record flight, as well as previous test flights.

Human Powered Helicopter
On June 13th, 2013, the AeroVelo Atlas Human-Powered Helicopter
captured the long standing AHS Sikorsky Prize
with a flight lasting 64.1 seconds and reaching an altitude of 3.3 metres.
Visit AeroVelo for more details.
The competition was initially opened in 1980, and over the course of the 33 years that followed,
dozens of teams from around the world pushed the limits of existing technology in pursuit
of this once-thought-to-be impossible goal. This video is a compilation of footage
from the record flight, as well as previous test flights.

That is simply the coolest thing ever. I've always wondered if the power/weight ratio could be done with a human helicopter and indoors, with 4 rotors in opposition, it obviously is. I bet if felt amazing (though tiring) to the cyclist/pilot.
Well done to that team.

You have to wonder what new materials things like Graphene may give us in terms of strong, light rotors?

Thanks for posting man.

Supercomputer simulation of a galactic formation after the Big Bang.
On a personal computer it would have taken 570 years to render,
and that's just for the credits :D !
( only kidding there about the credits ).

Dig This - Heliocentric Model Updated

The animation isn't to scale, but is still a good representation.
The descriptions are little off-base, but there weren't
any videos with purely scientific commentary.

Last edited:
Sure that's not 8.5 billion? ;)

It is amazing to me how we are only just outside our planet and not past the moon with manned missions , yet we know which planets are habitable and which are not. I get that we use spectral gas analysis and some other tools, still to say that a planet is habitable seems to be a giant leap of...dare I say it, faith. I can live better with "potentially habitable"

One litmus test for determining some of the theories circulating around, one being that something can come from nothing all on its own with no help would be to take a closer look at these planets. If the soup is still laying there after a few billion years I would say that the theory has holes. There should be planets with varying degrees of evolutionary progression. We should even have life on planets that might not be in the habitable category if life forms can develop in the most extreme of circumstances. Right? Look at Titan. Can life exist in an environment that is composed of frozen methane, is hundreds of degrees below zero, below miles of ice?

If life must be initiated as I believe then you will only have life on the planets where it was made.

Inner Life of the Cell

This award winning piece was the first topic in a series of animations XVIVO
is creating for Harvard's educational website BioVisions at Harvard.

Back