• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

7/17/11 - Dennis Balthaser Episode

Jeff Crowell

Paranormal Annoyance
Admittedly I'm not all the way through this episode, yet, but wanted to chime in on a few things, and start the thread, I suppose.

I think that one thing that needs to be understood is the differences between a conference, a festival, and a convention. At a UFO festival, as the name implies, you're trying to rake in cash and popularity, so you need a mix of the serious element, the fun-factor, and the woo-woo folks. Agreeing with Mr. Balthaser, however, I would say this ratio needs to be about 60/30/10 for a festival. You WANT to draw in the family crowd, here.

At a convention, you may be looking at about 75/5/20 for the ratio of serious element/fun factor/woo-woo since you're trying to be more serious about the topic, and at a conference, well that all depends on who's putting on the conference. As Dennis indicated in the episode, the woo-woo folks are going to have their own agendas to discuss so they may put on their own conference. Let them discuss whatever they wish, but if the conference is put on in a more serious manner with more serious guests (Mr. Friedman, for instance) then you'll want little-to-no of the woo-woo folks.

In the end it's all a matter of intent for the function. Roswell's trying to pull in cold, hard cash at the Roswell festival. It's their version of "Black Friday", literally, for the whole town. Take the event/crash out of the town of Roswell and there's no more Roswell, so the festival needs to be setup to ensure it brings in a mix of all levels of interest. That's not to say you can't have a conference or convention at Roswell later on in the year that's a bit more specific (serious or woo-woo) but yes, I believe they need to be segregated to the intended audience.

One last point: Dennis mentioned that the mayor of Roswell turned over full control of this years festival to the museum. This may or may not be a good idea. The mayor best realize, as I said above, that the festival is their bread-and-butter, and that his little town in the desert will melt away if he/she doesn't keep milking that festival for all it's worth. He/she needs to take lessons from Disney in providing entertainment, AND serious discussion, AND woo-woo events, and do so in a fashion that is pleasing and enjoyable by all of these interest groups. Separate them within the town, sure. Keep the woo-woos away from the more serious element and so-forth but have a mix for all. In other words, keep the circus away from the research discussions. Only by appealing to all during the festival will it be a success.

Peace.

Jeff.

well the show was quite interesting, and he is a very ell spoken man. I know Chris said that with todays technology. we coulnt build the monoliths. I want to make a point very clear - just because we have technology now doesnt mean we can build better....we have lost technology as we have become more advanced. When my father past away, I asked "how much " would it cost to make the 12 foot granite pillar, with the scroll work on it, that is common in older cemeteries (at least in Ontario, Canada). The gentleman replied, "we can't to those any more - we dont have the technology" I was shocked and said ' You DONT have the technology, in this day in age" He explained, that they have no idea, how they lifted such large granite stones, or how they made them".....so if we lost the technology in one hundred years, what else have we lost. If the kids today dont know, what some of the tools our farmers used a hundred years ago, of something as simple as a spinning wheel or a loom....we have gotten dumber as we have gotten smarter. If we forgot stuff from one hundred years ago, the human mind cant remember what it lost two thousand years ago.

....we have gotten dumber as we have gotten smarter. If we forgot stuff from one hundred years ago, the human mind cant remember what it lost two thousand years ago.

VERY good point. Here's a more modern example. Go buy a brand new desktop computer off the shelf at your local Walmart, then, straight out of the box, try to use a 5 1/4" floppy disk in it. Does this mean that the 5 1/4" floppy was super advanced, or "lost technology?" No, it's magnetic technology which we still use at times but for the most part we've moved on past. It's the same with stone work. Saying that we, as a species, don't work in stone, any more, is ridiculous, and just because we may not be able to move a granite pillar "by hand" these days doesn't mean we didn't have the appropriate tools or technology to do it a few hundred, or even thousand, years back.

Sometimes people don't give human ingenuity enough credit, especially these "ancient alien" subscribers. Saying there's "no way" we could have accomplished some of the things we did is a massive stretch in logic and philosophy, both.

Good grief no! You are thinking of David Jacobs and as far as I know there is no law suit. And it was New Zealand I think, not Australia.

Ah, that's right. My apologies. Sometimes I lose my score card of the whos-who in UFO research. Thanks trained.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Oh sh*t. Did I just admit I was wrong......then APOLOGIZE??? I'll never make it in the UFO research field. Then again, it seems I'll have to lie about my credentials, my research, and my data, too.

Sorry....bitterness-slip there. I'm better.8)

Here is the UFO Hunters episode referenced in the show. Watch UFO Hunters put words in Chris's mouth. Also, I've spared you guys. The first half of the show featured Phil ImBRAGno.

Here is the UFO Hunters episode referenced in the show. Watch UFO Hunters put words in Chris's mouth...
Naw, they didn't put words in my mouth--they blatantly used my words completely out of context (*In my UFOH interview I was referring directly to my work in the San Luis Valley--400+ miles to the NE of Sedona)---NOT Sedona. I stated up front--on camera--that I was not referring to Sedona. Come on, I have stated publicly (w/ confidence for over 15 years) that "the highest, per-capita incidence of UFO sightings in the USA, is in the greater SLV (4 counties in the top ten CUFON 1990)" -- and that figure was compiled before the wave of 1992-98! Bottomline: They used my languaging about my "work" in the SLV and inserted "Sedona"and that's a bald-faced lie! Whatever...

Naw, they didn't put words in my mouth--they blatantly used my words completely out of context (*In my UFOH interview I was referring directly to my work in the San Luis Valley--400+ miles to the NE of Sedona)---NOT Sedona. I stated up front--on camera--that I was not referring to Sedona. Come on, I have stated publicly (w/ confidence for over 15 years) that "the highest, per-capita incidence of UFO sightings in the USA, is in the greater SLV (4 counties in the top ten CUFON 1990)" -- and that figure was compiled before the wave of 1992-98! Bottomline: They used my languaging about my "work" in the SLV and inserted "Sedona"and that's a bald-faced lie! Whatever...

Agreed, they put Sedona in your mouth, which was a bit dusty I imagine, in a total misrepresentation! Did they ever give you any justification for that other than they really weren't too concerned with the truth? It seems like it wouldn't have hurt their story to go with SLV. It's like they thought, "Hey, lets just further discredit ourselves and alienate the people who might provide some content in the future."

In passing, I did ask Bill Birnes about this, but he blames the producers for this curious manipulation of show's version of the interview.

I liked the show. I came away with the impression that researchers of Balthaser's caliber keep ufology from becoming no more that a big tin foil hat party.

Hey all, first time poster, long time listener/lurker in forums. :)

I really enjoyed the show, and I think Gene and Chris's respect for the guests make the show that much more enjoyable. Although Dennis chose to share his religious stance with you, your reactions and interactions with him didn't become awkward, aggressive or demeaning..which unfortunately happens a lot these days. It helps that Dennis is logical and so well respected in the field. Kudos to you for keeping it professional!!

Okay, I have to admit, when Dennis was complaining about having to judge the tin-foil hat competition, I was laughing so hard I almost crashed my car. That really struck me as funny on a number of levels, including his vocal bitterness and muttering complaint as well as the vision of a respected UFO researcher among the quacks and woo-woos trying to just crash through the duty. Don't get me wrong, I have respect for Mr. Balthaser on the highest level, but there are elements of pop-culture in this field and I'd imagine even the most serious researcher will get caught up in them at some point. The best thing to do is just be a "people person" and go with it, I'd say. When it's over, get back to the serious research.

Dennis has been on the Paracast a few times and he always bugs me. He describes himself as a serious researcher, and in this episode he bemoaned the "Woo Woo" factor in the field. But, then he went on to describe a bit about his Egyptology work and I just felt like running from the room, pulling my hair out, and shouting "Woo Woo"! Come on, people -- the Sphinx and Atlantis?!?!? This is not serious research. Conjecture at best, but not research.

Back