• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — December 18, 2016

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
December 18, 2016
www.theparacast.com

The Paracast Explores the Scientific Study of Bigfoot with Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to After The Paracast, plus a higher-quality version of The Paracast free of network ads, and chat rooms when you sign up for The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes, the Paracast+ Video Channel, episode transcripts, Special Features, Classic Episodes and there’s more to come! We’ve just begun to add podcasts and videos from Paul Kimball’s “Other Side of Truth.” Check out our new lower rates, starting at just $4.99 per month, plus our “Lifetime” membership and special free eBook offers! For more information about our premium package, please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio.

This Week's Episode: Class is in session. Gene and Chris present a rare appearance by Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum, one of the few academics seriously researching such strange creatures as Bigfoot. Jeffrey received his B.S. in zoology specializing in vertebrate locomotion at Brigham Young University (BYU) in 1982, his M.S. at BYU in 1984 and a Ph.D. in anatomical sciences, with an emphasis in biological anthropology, from Stony Brook University in 1989 (then referred to as State University of New York at Stony Brook). He has published numerous academic papers ranging from vertebrate evolutionary morphology, the emergence of bipedal locomotion in modern humans and Sasquatch (Bigfoot), and is a co-editor of a series of books on paleontology.

Chris O’Brien’s Site: Our Strange Planet

Dr. Meldrum’s Site: The Relict Hominoid Inquiry | Idaho State University

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively to Paracast+ subscribers on December 18: [PG-13]: Gene and Chris talk about the guest on the December 18, 2016 episode of The Paracast, of Dr. Jeffrey Meldum’s emphasis on a physical Bigfoot, which he feels may represent a lost primate species that survived in scattered pars of the world. But Chris says that he is throwing out a “whole body of evidence” about paranormal creatures. So Chris recalls a strange encounter that he experienced in 1986 at the Carbon River, located at the base of Mount Rainier. He heard shrill whistling sounds from what he believed to be two creatures, one of which appeared to suddenly make a movement of a few hundred feet almost instantaneously, based on the sounds it made. Was this an episode of high strangeness, of possible teleportation? Chris also talks about his frightening encounter with a big and angry “mama bear” during another of his out-of-the-way exc ursions.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums.

Are We Seeing UFOs in their Actual Form?
By Gene Steinberg

Scientists of any era might come to believe they know pretty much everything, and that there’s very little left to discover about our universe. Of course, that’s been true for centuries, and think about all the things we know now that were hardly even dreamt of in the past.

Yes, we know the Earth isn’t flat and is not the center of the universe, although there appear to be some who choose to continue to believe this fallacy, or that the Earth is 6,000 years old. At one time, we knew for certain that there were only nine planets in our solar system, long before Pluto was relegated to the status of a “dwarf planet.” If planets had egos, this would be a source of great disappointment.

At one time it was theorized that Mars had canals, remnants of an ancient civilization. This all formed the basis for a number of sci-fi and fantasy stories, including Edgar Rice Burroughs’ John Carter tales. In the 1950s, a certain best-selling UFO author also speculated about life on Mars, taking the theory of the canals as pretty much a given.

Many scientists know for certain that spaceships can never exceed the speed of light. Einstein told us that it was a hard limit, but sci-fi writers figured out ways to make it happen anyway. The warp drive scheme was used in “Star Trek” as a plot device to get the Enterprise to and from a planet in hours or days rather than years, decades or centuries.

Of course we aren’t certain warp travel can be a reality, but scientists are nonetheless examining the fascinating possibilities.

But I wonder if Gene Roddenberry ever envisioned the possibility that scientists and engineers would actively attempt to duplicate the Star Trek gadgets as real products. Don’t forget clamshell cell phones, a few very noticeably patterned after the Trek communicator. And what about tablets used in “2001: A Space Odyssey” and “Star Trek: The Next Generation”?

Scientists are looking into the possibility of transporting matter from one location to another. But did that idea come from “Star Trek” or the sci-fi thriller “The Fly,” where the teleportation process didn’t account for the presence of a second living form in the transport mechanism when a scientist attempted to move himself across his laboratory. You’ve seen the two versions of this movie and its sequels, so I don’t need to be graphical about the consequences.

At least with the matter transport system used in “Star Trek,” the ship’s computer can accurately disassemble living forms and — usually — reassemble them in their original form. So is the person who beams down the same individual who left the starship? Or a computerized recreation that matches the original down to the molecular level? What are the consequences of taking multiple trips, and is there the chance that your atoms and molecules might degrade over time?

I suppose that’s a suitable plot line for a future “Star Trek” movie, or the new streaming TV show, “Star Trek: Discovery,” scheduled to debut in 2017. But perhaps the number of transports must reach the thousands before the laws of entropy apply.

Now when we look at the possibilities for alien visitors coming to Earth, in UFOs, we regard their technology as natural evolutions of our own. Indeed, it does seem that the UFOs are listening, since they often appear to be just a step or two ahead. At least they are advanced enough to exceed our own aircraft in speed and maneuverability.

But consider what they might come up with were they hundreds or thousands of years ahead of us. Sure, we can imagine the technology of the 23rd century in “Star Trek,” but absent warp drive, just how far advanced are they anyway? Food replicators? Just the natural evolution of 3D printing technology. It may be just a few years before your “Big Mac” is cooked from the raw ingredients — or synthesized versions — in a printer rather than being placed on grills and cooked by low-paid workers.

I wonder: Would we be able to even recognize the technology used by a race of beings a few hundred years ahead of us? Even if their form is close to ours — meaning they are humanoids or superficially human — would we even recognize the products of their technology.

Is it true that, as Arthur C. Clarke once said, “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”?

Imagine, just imagine, if you got ahold of a time machine, packed up your iPhone, and took a trip to 16th century England. If you have a passing acquaintance with the works of Shakespeare, you would comfortably overcome the differences in language, colloquialisms and cadence, and communicate with the natives.

But what would they say of that magical implement you took out of your pocket that displays pictures? Sure, the battery might soon run down if you didn’t bring along a recharger in your time machine; it would be powered by the craft’s onboard power systems. There would be no cellular data network with which to send and receive data. But if you stored all or most of your stuff on your iPhone, you’d get by.

How would the local populace regard that magical appliance? Even if they took it from you, the most advanced scientists and engineers of the time couldn’t begin to fathom its potential and the means of construction. Would you be charged with witchcraft and put on the stake?

Or would you dress yourself in the clothing of the era, and behave in a way that doesn’t arouse suspicion? Rather than reveal who you really are, where you came from and the advanced nature of the technology that brought you there, you’d probably conceal your “waverider” with some sort of cloaking device. They’d never see your craft. Or maybe you’ll show up riding a horse that you brought with you so you could just mix in. Well, maybe you’d seem a little eccentric, but perhaps not enough to arouse suspicion.

So when people claim to have met up with ET, witnessing their arrival in a flying saucer, is that really what the craft looks like? Or are they putting on an act to appeal to the expectations of Earthlings?

I’ve often mentioned the scene in the movie, “Contact,” where the protagonist, portrayed by Jodie Foster, believes she meets ET, who arrives in the form of her late father so she’d be able to accept his appearance. We can only guess what that being really looked like. Maybe we can only guess what UFOs really look like, because they are play-acting for our benefit.

Copyright 1999-2016 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

I really do love the cellular phone analogy, but I also think we need to be careful not to put too much stock in the idea that there is an infinitely expandable frontier of advancement. We can now take pictures of individual atoms. We can even look inside atoms and build molecules by assembling individual molecular components. We know the limits of how small something can be and still be useful for building macro level objects. Consequently there is no piece of technology that can be invented that we could not analyze all the way down to the atomic level. Alien technology would be no exception. We would figure it out.

Last edited:
I wonder if in the future, perhaps we can assemble tiny nano-machines and suchlike, and if such machines could be linked and programmed to perform complex tasks, could they then somehow greatly increase the current max. magnification possible with electron microscopes?
I know that because atomic/molecular sizes are much closer to the wavelengths of X or gamma rays, we cannot expect to use those waves to show us the very small sub-atomic particles, because there is no way to obtain resolution and detail of an object so small when the waves used have wavelengths much longer than the diameters of such sub-atomic elementary particles.

But scientists have always managed to exploit and harness new and improved engineering abilities as we have made smaller and more precise instruments and materials; scales and precision that very recent generations would never have even conceived of.

A few SciFi movies/shows have ran with the idea of minute organised machines that can rearrange themselves and matter into utterly different textures, forms, uses and properties etc. Like say, a black liquid that can instantly become a tiny flying drone, or propulsion engine, or even weapon.

I would find it hard to think that a greatly intelligent and advanced (to us) race that can travel stellar distances, would not have mastered the manipulation of the very small as they also learned to master the very large - such as incredible magnitudes of energy harnessed, or enormous distances now being traversed. We seem to be exploring 'out' as much as 'in' and no doubt each can benefit the other too.

So Gene's article's premise of ET maybe turning up in forms we could not recognise, and deliberately showing us instead, forms of spacecraft that we can comprehend. It makes perfects sense to me and also it explains some of the crazier aspects to Ufology such as the too-numerous variations of craft shape and size and the even weirder apparent morphing or disappearing that is reported.

I think it not only possible they may arrive in strange ways and forms, then morph into something else for us to witness, I think if they Ufological field has anything true at its core, I am almost positive that they do alter the look of craft for our benefit. They no doubt have recorded history of a time in their own past, they would not have understood the ultra-advanced of their future either, so they would understand a need to do a few parlour tricks for our benefit.....

Goggs,
Spot on and the infrared spectrum leaves human at a disadvantage do cats and dogs see it? do even cows? Swam technologies will make humanity able to enhance capabilities across a number of platforms especially undersea. This will enable the technology to be used in off planet spectrum for exploration to other world oceans some in our solar system and others. Not discounting dimensional worlds (strong indication they do exist) and Ben Rich and his handlers (Col Corso) no doubt had foresight to open mind we see advance in technology next year which Mars is in our reach sooner than folks think. Will China out do USA or Russia exciting to see.

Merry Christmas (Seasons Greetings) & Happy New Year to you and your families
Don ,Chris , Goggs, Nick Pope and all Paracast members )..

Last edited:
...Consequently there is no piece of technology that can be invented that we could not analyze all the way down to the atomic level. Alien technology would be no exception. We would figure it out.
Ya but, we can't even properly define and explain consciousness or know for certain where and how memory is contained and where it's located. If their technology is partially biological and involves some form of connection w/ advanced consciousness, we haven't even cracked the riddle of fundamental human consciousness, etc. Re-read your Vallee/Torme novel, Fastwalkers I think old Jacques gave us some pointed clues as to the state of our efforts to back-engineer so-called alien tech... Just my POV, but hey, I've got a butt too :)

Ya but, we can't even properly define and explain consciousness or know for certain where and how memory is contained and where it's located. If their technology is partially biological and involves some form of connection w/ advanced consciousness, we haven't even cracked the riddle of fundamental human consciousness, etc. Re-read your Vallee/Torme novel, Fastwalkers I think old Jacques gave us some pointed clues as to the state of our efforts to back-engineer so-called alien tech... Just my POV, but hey, I've got a butt too :)
Thanks for the book suggestion. I've been meaning to check out that novel for ages. Right now I'm reading on a book called Eunoia. Your point about consciousness is also certainly one to consider. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the "riddle of fundamental human consciousness", but if we're thinking along the same lines, which is with respect to the riddle of the fundamental existence of things, that is a separate question from determining how things behave and what can be done with them.

So given alien technology ( ATECH ) that utilizes consciousness directly, we would probably get a good idea what it's about and how it's constructed, but being able to put it to use ourselves is another story. One problem might be how to create an appropriate interface. We use input devices, screens, and symbols to do that. ATECH might have some sort of direct mind to mind interface. That might explain the telepathic experiences associated with some UFO reports. It also suggests that by our standards UFOs are themselves living things, like the Vorlon ships from Babylon 5. In which case evading Air Force jets would seem very sensible !

Last edited:
At least with the matter transport system used in “Star Trek,” the ship’s computer can accurately disassemble living forms and — usually — reassemble them in their original form. So is the person who beams down the same individual who left the starship? Or a computerized recreation that matches the original down to the molecular level?

A conundrum I've long toyed with.

You Don't Want a 'Star Trek' Transporter Because Using It Would Kill You

Does star treks transporter kill you - Google Search

Ship of Theseus - Wikipedia

So Gene's article's premise of ET maybe turning up in forms we could not recognise, and deliberately showing us instead, forms of spacecraft that we can comprehend. It makes perfects sense to me and also it explains some of the crazier aspects to Ufology such as the too-numerous variations of craft shape and size and the even weirder apparent morphing or disappearing that is reported.

I agree, Its entirely consistent with the Parity concept.

And we can see examples from our own real history. We know when an advanced civilisation meets a less-advanced one, the latter doesn't do well. Indeed Hawkings said in 2010: "If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans."

The implications of extraterrestrial contact, particularly with a technologically superior civilization, have often been likened to the meeting of two vastly different human cultures on Earth, a historical precedent being the Columbian Exchange. Such meetings have generally led to the destruction of the civilization receiving contact (as opposed to the "contactor", which initiates contact)
Potential cultural impact of extraterrestrial contact - Wikipedia

It therefore seems well with the range of likelihood an advanced ET society would seek to coax the contactee to parity first.

However in defining "advanced" we open a can of worms too since its now being speculated ET may be trans biological in nature.

Susan Schneider, a professor of philosophy at the University of Connecticut, is one who has. She joins a handful of astronomers, including Seth Shostak, director of NASA’s Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, or SETI, program, NASA Astrobiologist Paul Davies, and Library of Congress Chair in Astrobiology Stephen Dick in espousing the view that the dominant intelligence in the cosmos is probably artificial. In her paper “Alien Minds," written for a forthcoming NASA publication, Schneider describes why alien life forms are likely to be synthetic, and how such creatures might think.

“Most people have an iconic idea of aliens as these biological creatures, but that doesn’t make any sense from a timescale argument,” Shostak told me. “I’ve bet dozens of astronomers coffee that if we pick up an alien signal, it’ll be artificial life.”

The Dominant Life Form in the Cosmos Is Probably Superintelligent Robots

If contact is conditional on parity then we may have to make that leap too.

This view may not seem anthropocentric, for it makes no overt assumptions about the biochemistry of extraterrestrials; only that intelligence will arise on at least some worlds with life. However, the trajectory of our own technology now suggests that within a century or two of our development of radio transmitters and lasers, we are likely to build machines with artificial, generalized intelligence. We are engineering our successors, and the next intelligent species on Earth is not only certain to dwarf our own cognitive abilities, but will be able to engineer its own, superior descendants by design, rather than counting on uncertain, Darwinian processes. Assuming that something similar happens to other technological societies, then the implications for SETI are profound.
The Search for Extraterrestrial Life and Post-Biological Intelligence | SETI Institute

Last edited by a moderator:
When dealing with ufology the careful reader will always bear one additional question in mind: If we put ourselves in the aliens’ shoes, what is the most rational way to go about planning a successful first contact effort with a planet like Earth? Although this xenological problem is explored in greater depth later on, a few issues can profitably be raised now:

1. Disturbance of the system -- Since they are the ones with high technology, they will not fear us.1208 Thus the greatest danger to the enterprise is that of observer influence (a common problem in measurement science).77{?} If the mere act of observation will disrupt or destroy the system under observation, it behooves the observer to minimize that disruption. As Richard J. Rosa of Avco Everett Laboratories puts it: "A hundred years {may be} of little consequence to them. The fact that Columbus did not hesitate to talk to the Indians was not without consequences that were unfortunate for Europe and tragic for the Indians. Perhaps our interstellar visitors have learned to be more cautious -- and considerate."344

2. Minimizing the disruption -- An advanced society can certainly make a planetary survey without the primitive indigenes knowing about it.377 As added security in maintaining anonymity, aliens and their artifacts could sport many clever disguises.49 Ufologist Jacques Vallee notes: "To make ultimate detection impossible, {the aliens} would have to project an image just beyond the belief structure of the target society."1189 In fact, it is rather difficult to explain why, if they wish to avoid contact, the UFOs allow themselves to be seen at all.747

3. Standard first contact procedures -- Space faring ETs will undoubtedly be experienced at the business of contacting other cultures. The following has been suggested by anthropologists familiar with the problem:

"Exploration will proceed in a series of ordered steps. At each star the team will investigate the system and locate any planets. If they find a planet they will evaluate its habitability, physical resources and life forms. If any signs of intelligent life are discovered the survey team will have to decide whether to withdraw or attempt contact. This will involve careful observation from a distance to acquire information before actually making contact. At first, in order to gain language skills and social understanding, contact will be limited to individuals in small groups. In this way we can increase the chance of success at the official, formal meeting with ET leaders to arrange recognition and continued contact."615

3.2.2 - The Evidence for UFOs

Home page

Back