• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter -- April 17, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emma, I would consider this firm advice for YOU. Stop wasting your time here unless you like being (in so many words) repeatedly called a lyer. I think you should cut your loses and leave before you/I are banned.

I didn't say she was a liar. I said there was no way for me to determine if the audio segments were manipulated, consciously or otherwise to convey a misleading impression. But even if you accept what Jacobs says at face value, you have to have concerns about his investigative process.

As I said, there's fault on both sides. We aren't going to just ban people because of their beliefs, but you need to understand that I am persuaded by facts, not demands or assertions.

I didn't say she was a liar. I said there was no way for me to determine if the audio segments were manipulated, consciously or otherwise to convey a misleading impression. But even if you accept what Jacobs says at face value, you have to have concerns about his investigative process.

As I said, there's fault on both sides. We aren't going to just ban people because of their beliefs, but you need to understand that I am persuaded by facts, not demands or assertions.

But Gene, if you claim that she intentionally took quotes out of context and intentionally editted tapes to prove her point, then without using the word you are saying she is lieing, aren't you? I realize we are all too polite to use that word, but if I presented audio evidence that I asserted was the truth and someone responded that I probably editted the clips and took things out of context, then that would be telling me that the person thought I was at best a hoaxer.

Nonetheless, I am officially retiring from the Paracast because it is increasingly un-fun for me to be here. So Tom From Hong Kong and Archie can dance a little jig. I've suggested Emma do the same, but it's her life. She's on her own.

But Gene, if you claim that she intentionally took quotes out of context and intentionally editted tapes to prove her point, then without using the word you are saying she is lieing, aren't you? I realize we are all too polite to use that word, but if I presented audio evidence that I asserted was the truth and someone responded that I probably editted the clips and took things out of context, then that would be telling me that the person thought I was at best a hoaxer.

Nonetheless, I am officially retiring from the Paracast because it is increasingly un-fun for me to be here. So Tom From Hong Kong and Archie can dance a little jig. I've suggested Emma do the same, but it's her life. She's on her own.

That, of course, is not what I said. And since you seem so removed from my actual statements, yes it's better that you go to a place where facts don't matter. Have a nice day.

Emma,

I apologize if you have already answered these questions elsewhere.

Given your distrust in Jacobs and his conclusions what do you now think the true nature of your "experiences" (whatever drove you to work with Jacobs) actually are?
Are your experiences on-going?
Are you currently under the care of a physician of some sort that is aware of your experiences?
If you are under the care of a physician were they aware of your work with Jacobs and what was their opinion of it?

My own view of the phenomenon is that it is probably something that we do not understand at the present time, and may never understand. Having said that, I think that it is useful to study it, as we can increase our knowledge of how it operates, even if it remains largely elusive.

My experiences still continue as before. I have made peace with them now, and view them as something interesting to study, which is why I am continuing to publish the research that I did on them on my website, at Emma Woods: Is it Alien Abduction...?

I have seen two therapists who have been aware of my experiences. They are both of the opinion that I am psychologically normal. My current therapist is supporting me in the action that I am taking in regard to Dr. Jacobs' misconduct towards me as a research subject.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

The excerpts that I provided were from my hypnosis sessions, and were while I was hypnotized.

At this time I am in the process of preparing a case to the Office for Human Research Protections that Dr. Jacobs' research meets their criteria. If I am successful, they will undertake a thorough investigation of his research, which will include an examination of the original recordings of all of the hypnosis sessions that he conducted with me. Dr. Jacobs has all the original recordings himself. I would never be so stupid as to post here excerpts of those hypnosis sessions that were manipulated, or out of context, which would be then be seen as such during the very investigation that I am attempting to bring about.

If any of the allegations that I have made about Dr. Jacobs as a researcher were false, he would have had me in court in a heart beat, but he has not.

Once my action in regard to Dr. Jacobs' misconduct is completed, I will be making public the recordings of all of the hypnosis sessions that he conducted with me, so that people can assess them for themselves.

If any of the allegations that I have made about Dr. Jacobs as a researcher were false, he would have had me in court in a heart beat, but he has not.

I think suing someone who doesn't have a lot of money and who lives in another country on the other side of the planet is pretty much a waste of time. What could he possibly accomplish? An order for you to stop talking? Even if he somehow persuaded your Web host to pull down your site you could open it elsewhere and resume operations.

In any case, I have to ask you whether it makes sense to consume yourself with going after Dr. Jacobs. You've expressed your point of view. At this point, people can believe you or disbelieve you. I still feel you need to find a way to move on with your life.

Gene, I believe you have been exceptionally even-handed and objective throughout this debate, regardless of what others may charge.

I personally do not believe that we will see sufficient funding for the treatment of alleged abductees going forward. While I am not an authority in the field, I doubt qualified therapists will want to spend much time on treating otherwise normal patients for abduction-related anxiety, particularly if they are being compensated for doing so by the Federal government (n.b., does anyone know if the new health care legislation even covers mental health disorders outside of the most serious psychiatric conditions?). If this does occur, it is unlikely that the feedback will be centralized so that abduction researchers can advance their understanding of the phenomenon (question how much of this type of therapy currently does in fact happen for the wealthy but the researchers never hear about it, for whatever reason). If we are lucky, then there will be a few therapists who work alongside the researchers, but my instinct tells me they will be in constant jeopardy of not having their bills paid by any public health fund (or worse yet -- charged with some other type of wrongdoing or professional rebuke). This results in 'researcher-affiliated therapists' largely treating wealthy patients, which are probably the clear minority of patients.

The idea above about a MUFON-affiliated effort (or similar arrangement with a private sponsor) may be the best solution available, although those arrangements are always subject to claims of inherent bias given the nature of MUFON/the private sponsor. And if this was feasible, wouldn't this have occurred already? Where will MUFON get the funds? Will the private sponsor keep the results private? How many independently wealthy qualified therapists will dedicate themselves to abduction cases, as opposed to indigent, seriously mentally ill patients? And the John Macks of the world -- well qualified professionals situated in an academic institution paying their salaries -- are obviously few and far between (n.b., why has John Macks' work and use of hypnosis largely been left out of the debate on this forum?). Perhaps the best formula is a number of therapists working alongside the researchers only part time, while paying their bills by treating other patients. That is even ambitious: who wants to be affiliated with this?

Sorry for the pessimistic assessment -- hope I am wrong! However, I don't see much changing absent the unlikely emergence of a civic-minded private donor and a few qualified therapists who want to be associated with this enigma.

Gene, I believe you have been exceptionally even-handed and objective throughout this debate, regardless of what others may charge.

I personally do not believe that we will see sufficient funding for the treatment of alleged abductees going forward. While I am not an authority in the field, I doubt qualified therapists will want to spend much time on treating otherwise normal patients for abduction-related anxiety, particularly if they are being compensated for doing so by the Federal government (n.b., does anyone know if the new health care legislation even covers mental health disorders outside of the most serious psychiatric conditions?). If this does occur, it is unlikely that the feedback will be centralized so that abduction researchers can advance their understanding of the phenomenon (question how much of this type of therapy currently does in fact happen for the wealthy but the researchers never hear about it, for whatever reason). If we are lucky, then there will be a few therapists who work alongside the researchers, but my instinct tells me they will be in constant jeopardy of not having their bills paid by any public health fund (or worse yet -- charged with some other type of wrongdoing or professional rebuke). This results in 'researcher-affiliated therapists' largely treating wealthy patients, which are probably the clear minority of patients.

The idea above about a MUFON-affiliated effort (or similar arrangement with a private sponsor) may be the best solution available, although those arrangements are always subject to claims of inherent bias given the nature of MUFON/the private sponsor. And if this was feasible, wouldn't this have occurred already? Where will MUFON get the funds? Will the private sponsor keep the results private? How many independently wealthy qualified therapists will dedicate themselves to abduction cases, as opposed to indigent, seriously mentally ill patients? And the John Macks of the world -- well qualified professionals situated in an academic institution paying their salaries -- are obviously few and far between (n.b., why has John Macks' work and use of hypnosis largely been left out of the debate on this forum?). Perhaps the best formula is a number of therapists working alongside the researchers only part time, while paying their bills by treating other patients. That is even ambitious: who wants to be affiliated with this?

Sorry for the pessimistic assessment -- hope I am wrong! However, I don't see much changing absent the unlikely emergence of a civic-minded private donor and a few qualified therapists who want to be associated with this.

Tom, I think your careful, intelligent and comprehensive assessment of the situation is absolutely spot-on.

I'm afraid this puts bland proclamations like "Hypnosis used for memory recovery in abduction research should be placed into the hands of trained mental health professionals" (nothing personal because everyone agrees with this rather fatuous platitude in theory, like everyone agrees it's a good idea for the sun to shine) into an altogether more sober and realistic perspective.

We're all in favor of roses, Mum and apple pie, but this ain't the real world and there is no sign it's gonna be for the foreseeable future. Things are gonna continue as they are because that's the best there is, and until other researchers come to the party with their own dedication, time and resources, and "health professionals" take trouble to learn about this issue and give their time free, abductees are going to continue to contact the only channels open to them, in large numbers. What else can they do? "Health professionals" by and large know nothing about it, usually don't understand hypnosis and have no interest in the subject.

Your point about John Mack is interesting. John as we know was a Pofessor of Psychiatry at Harvard who looked into this phenomenon in his own time and with fresh, "uncontaminated" experiencers and uncovered exactly the same narratives as everybody else in the field. Let's not forget that, people. It should tell us something.

Sorry, one final point: if I am a political opponent to the new Federal healthcare program, I would love to get my hands on an actual example of a therapist, being compensated by public funds, who works alongside David Jacobs or Budd Hopkins. I would be certain that story appeared on the front page of every newspaper, and at the top of every evening news broadcast, across America. Needless to say, the therapist will be somewhat embarrassed and not happy about the attention from the federal and state authorities.

I am trying to be neutral on this topic, but American politics is what it is.

... However, I realize that an entire paradigm/reality system has been constructed around this since at least the 1980's when Whitley Strieber first published COMMUNION and Budd published INTRUDERS...

IndigoEyes ... Dr Jacobs himself has stated that he started learning hypnotic techniques in 1986 ... and the current phase as it were of abductions started in ... 1987 :D. I'm not saying anything :p.

Oh and I agree with pretty much all you have stated and commented on ... so ... count me in with the silent throng ... although I'm not very silent since I'm not PMing ... oh you know what I mean :D.

ps and Emma, nice to see you here again ... as always being thoughtful, and intelligent, and strangely enough not at all mentally unbalanced ... ;)

Dr Jacobs himself has stated that he started learning hypnotic techniques in 1986 ... and the current phase as it were of abductions started in ... 1987 Click here to enlarge. I'm not saying anything Click here to enlarge.

"The current phase as it were of abductions" - is supposed to mean what exactly?

All the researchers I have talked to (about 20+) and all the published literature from investigators since the late 1960s tells us the "current phase of abductions" seems to have started about 1890 (1890, not 1990) and there are plenty of quite detailed intergenerational cases on file from the 1920s and 1930s. I know personally one person who had abduction experiences in the 1930s (now deceased) and another who had a multi-witnessed case in London in 1944 (still with us and living in London).

If your game is to try to push the lie that this is all somehow an artefact of hypnosis manufactured by a couple of American researchers from the 1980s, you might persuade a few of the ignorant but anyone who understands anything about this phenomenon for real is going to see straight through that BS.

"The current phase as it were of abductions" - is supposed to mean what exactly?.

I was paraphrasing something that I heard Dr Jacobs himself say on a podcast. Unfortunately I've listened to a number of his interviews on various programmes recently so I cannot remember which one it was. I might have to go through them again and note down which one it was and what he exactly said. Once I do I'll let this forum know.

"The current phase as it were of abductions" - is supposed to mean what exactly?.

My understanding of his "hypothesis" is that abductions are part of a long running program that has different phases, the last being the total integration of completely human looking ...dare I use the word ...hybrids ... into human society.

You know that even if just a small portion of what is reported by alien abduction research is true then the "aliens" (or whatever they are) are criminals of the highest order and the enemies of mankind. If true, you would think that the military would be making a concentrated effort to apprehend these things and track them back to their point of origin and make total war on them. If Jacobs is correct in his hypothesis then what is happening is the formation of a 5th Column within human society. It is difficult to imagine how this could be construed as anything but a hostile act by a foreign power. I don't know how much of all it I really buy into to be quite honest but I think that is the way you have to think about it. These "aliens" are agents of a foreign power who have committed hostile and criminal acts and must be treated accordingly. Having any thoughts of making nice with creatures that prey upon mankind stealing, kidnapping, and raping who they please is absolutely insane.

You know that even if just a small portion of what is reported by alien abduction research is true then the "aliens" (or whatever they are) are criminals of the highest order and the enemies of mankind. If true, you would think that the military would be making a concentrated effort to apprehend these things and track them back to their point of origin and make total war on them. If Jacobs is correct in his hypothesis then what is happening is the formation of a 5th Column within human society. It is difficult to imagine how this could be construed as anything but a hostile act by a foreign power. I don't know how much of all it I really buy into to be quite honest but I think that is the way you have to think about it. These "aliens" are agents of a foreign power who have committed hostile and criminal acts and must be treated accordingly. Having any thoughts of making nice with creatures that prey upon mankind stealing, kidnapping, and raping who they please is absolutely insane.

"If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. . . . Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. . . . Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

--- Sun Tzu

"If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. . . . Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. . . . Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

--- Sun Tzu

Hi tom, are you suggesting that our military is on it and operating on the qt? If you believe Ingo Swann's account in Penetration that is what is happening. However, it seems unlikely given the fact that the U.S. military is engaged and stretched as thin as it is. A "secret military" seems unlikely as well although not entirely implausible. If this business (abductions) were truly happening as reported it seems improbable to me that U.S. military and security organizations and agencies would ignore them. You would think that the folks who been working with the various abduction researchers would be under some constant sophisticated surveillance. This brings to mind the whole MILAB talk doesn't it? I just find it all harder and harder to believe myself.

My understanding of his "hypothesis" is that abductions are part of a long running program that has different phases, the last being the total integration of completely human looking ...dare I use the word ...hybrids ... into human society.

This is what is reported repeatedly by a lot of abductees around the world, mostly from conscious memories. Some of these accounts are written up in "Sight Unseen" by Hopkins and Rainey, and in Nick Pope's excellent investigation into the abduction phenomenon published as "The Uninvited" which is full of cases from the UK.

DJ's hypothesis, so far as I am aware, has always been tentative and changing. How do you make sense of all these data? There's a lot, from many different sources, and all kind of similar or at least with common themes. Some abductees report that they're told during the abductions that the program has from the beginning been planned with three phases: gradual, accelerated and sudden.

Truth is, something seems to be going on, but we don't know what. At least, I don't. But when you look at thousands of reports going back 40 years or more describing the harvesting of genetic reproductive cells from abductees (even back to Villas Boas in the 1950s and several cases from the 1960s), reports of "missing pregnancies", of thousands of tiny babies seen gestating in liquid tanks, and then later of small hybrid-looking children, the hypothesis of some kind of eventual integration seems to be logical and certainly fits the data.

... the hypothesis of some kind of eventual integration seems to be logical and certainly fits the data.

I can't think of any function that such an integration could serve other than a subversive one. But why would they need to do that? If they possess the technology that the UFO phenomena suggests why go through all that trouble? The whole re-engineering their race notion seems unlikely since all creating hybrids would do is create a third race with their own problems, needs, etc. I really don't think these things are inter-dimensional philosophers who are seeking to enlighten us or guide us toward 'assention.' No matter what these things point of origin is and no matter what their true nature might be, I think we need to view all of this as a military operation with military goals that does not have our best interests in mind. If we view the UFO phenomena as the evidence of military operations of a foreign power how does that re-frame the subject? Does it make more sense?

Hi tom, are you suggesting that our military is on it and operating on the qt? If you believe Ingo Swann's account in Penetration that is what is happening. However, it seems unlikely given the fact that the U.S. military is engaged and stretched as thin as it is. A "secret military" seems unlikely as well although not entirely implausible. If this business (abductions) were truly happening as reported it seems improbable to me that U.S. military and security organizations and agencies would ignore them. You would think that the folks who been working with the various abduction researchers would be under some constant sophisticated surveillance. This brings to mind the whole MILAB talk doesn't it? I just find it all harder and harder to believe myself.

Of course I don't have access to any type of classified information, but the more I study the abduction phenomenon the more I think something genuinely strange -- and physical -- is occurring. Apparently in the 1950s we tried to directly combat the saucers that were encountered, and failed miserably. Question is how the military would respond afterwards -- ongoing direct confrontation, or by bidding its time while it tries to understand what is occurring and attempt to develop effective countermeasures? Again, who knows the true nature of the phenomenon, but there is a trillion dollars plus missing and the government is capable of developing secret weapons systems. If aliens do in fact exist, I highly doubt the government is working alongside them, and perhaps the aliens do have an effective cloaking mechanism (and if so, why not provide the appearance of black helicopters, etc.?).

Reagan did make references five times to a hostile alien force, apparently over the objections of his speechwriters. Was that just empty rhetoric? Reagan's purpose is unclear, but it is an interesting fact nonetheless.

You know that even if just a small portion of what is reported by alien abduction research is true then the "aliens" (or whatever they are) are criminals of the highest order and the enemies of mankind.

I've had this thought for a while: if Dr Jacobs is so sure about the hybrid programme, and if he has been on the run from these evil hybrids ... and if he has got evidence ie photos, and videos of alien hybrids living amongst us (according to Elizabeth, his (erstwhile??) webmaster) ... ummm why has he never gone to the authorities about it?? I mean he supposedly has had an address where some were living.

Just being a devil's advocate here ::) ...

I can't think of any function that such an integration could serve other than a subversive one. But why would they need to do that? If they possess the technology that the UFO phenomena suggests why go through all that trouble? The whole re-engineering their race notion seems unlikely since all creating hybrids would do is create a third race with their own problems, needs, etc. I really don't think these things are inter-dimensional philosophers who are seeking to enlighten us or guide us toward 'assention.' No matter what these things point of origin is and no matter what their true nature might be, I think we need to view all of this as a military operation with military goals that does not have our best interests in mind. If we view the UFO phenomena as the evidence of military operations of a foreign power how does that re-frame the subject? Does it make more sense?

I personally find that there are some odd fact patterns in this apparent phenomenon -- recognizing that we truly do not know what is happening and are merely putting forth hypotheses. For example, if Messrs. Hopkins and Jacobs are correct, why do the aliens need to abduct 2-5% of the overall population (and apparently growing) to get adequate genetic samples? Wouldn't 10,000 or 20,000 across the globe offer sufficient diversity to breed hybrids, while minimizing the risk of detection and not over-allocating resources to the effort? Also, I can understand the arguments why this would run in family lines, but that indicates that they are studying or modifying our basic genetics rather than merely taking reproductive material. Also, why take genetic materials repeatedly, particularly from males, when one or two samples would do given the sheer number of gametes involved?

Let me throw out complete speculation which may go to why they do not want to engage in a military action: maybe they want the earth kept in tact, given that we do have nuclear weapons, which may affect them. Perhaps they want a certain percentage of the earth's population to remain alive (the 2-5%), for whatever reason, while the balance are expendable. Perhaps the hybrids are a closer, more loyal race of beings that can eventually be placed on earth to control the 2-5%, but certainly are fewer in numbers (and don't integrate particularly well, at least so far). Perhaps the 2-5% have had their genetics (family lines) modified in some manner that will give them immunity from some type of plague (recall that some researchers have pointed out the presence of UFOs and "MIBs" during the bubonic plague). Many abductees are shown scenes of social dislocation and destruction, and are told that they will be of assistance when the time comes. This all makes for a great science fiction novel, but if there is something to this, the above scenario does fit with the data. In short, there may be less destructive means of taking over than going to war, and their time frames may be longer term in nature.

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

I've had this thought for a while: if Dr Jacobs is so sure about the hybrid programme, and if he has been on the run from these evil hybrids ... and if he has got evidence ie photos, and videos of alien hybrids living amongst us (according to Elizabeth, his (erstwhile??) webmaster) ... ummm why has he never gone to the authorities about it?? I mean he supposedly has had an address where some were living.

Just being a devil's advocate here ::) ...

Paraschtick, it is a good question. There are these persistent rumors that some well known researchers make semi-regular trips to Washington D.C. to meet with the Pentagon, or otherwise maintain a regular dialogue with military personnel. Who knows if Dr. Jacobs falls in this category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back