• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What's Up Around Sedona/Verde Valley? Mysterious Booms...

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[I live 20 miles away to the east of Cottonwood & didn't hear any booms, oh well, better get my ear back on the ground! My guess is that it is mining activity under Jerome or maybe an expansion of that fabled "underground base" between Sedona and the Clarkdale cement plant? Naw :) — chris]

Mysterious booms rock Verde Valley

COTTONWOOD, AZ
By Scott Davis CBS-5
Dec 5, 2012 2:14 a.m.
"It was a whole series of booms," Swesey said. "Up to six or seven. It was fast, it went loud. We were quiet and then my daughter down the hall screams really loud, 'Did you hear that?' I sat there for a second and I heard another set."Jean Swesey was doing homework with her son in Cottonwood when it happened.

Swesey wasn't alone. Residents in communities in and around Verde Valley and as far as Flagstaff called 911 or their police and fire departments to report the strange booming sounds.

"It sounded like thunder, but underground," Swesey said. "Like muffled thunder. And all the dogs in the neighborhood, all of them that were outside all started barking at once."

CBS 5 News first received reports of the explosion-like noises shortly after 5 p.m. Tuesday and began checking with law enforcement and government sources. The U.S. Geological Survey reports no significant earthquake activity in Arizona that could have created the booms.

The Yavapai County Sheriff's Office had deputies in the area who either heard it or tried to respond to resident calls. They found nothing. The Sedona Fire District dispatched a crew to check a report of a strange odor, but that was unfounded and may not be related to the sounds. The Camp Verde Marshal also received a number of phone calls about the booms. Officers found no evidence of any explosions.
But the Verde Valley contains large expanses of uninhabited land. "Maybe when the light comes back they'll find something," said Gary Johnson of Sedona Fire.
Swesey sure hopes so. "It was just, 'boom-boom-boom-boom-boom all over the Verde Valley."

Cool! All we get up here are the usual Bigfoot sightings. I haven't even seen one of our famous unmarked black copters in at least several weeks. The monotony is starting to set in.

Made the news in Phx last night (link below), but more comprehensive feedback can be seen in this post on the Sedona Bulletin Board, which has had over 50 comments from all over the Verde Valley. Apparently it felt/heard from Camp Verde to Cottonwood, Sedona, Village of Oak Creek and even Flagstaff!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More descriptions of the event... some compared to rocket launch at cape canavral....
Andrea Mikana-Pinkham We live off Red Rock Loop Rd. I was home and heard it, thought it was thunder until our house shook. There were 2 booms in rapid succession. Mark was in another part of the house and didn't feel the shaking. It definitely sounded like it was above ground.

Gregg Hall
- towards the end you can hear the rumbling, it lasted longer than what is heard but that was the peak of it - WARNING - Explicit Language

Jamie Conglose I was at the dog park at Big Park School in the VOC with several other people and their dogs. It stopped us all in our tracks. It sounded like it was coming from the direction of Cottonwood over towards Beaver Flats Road. And it didn't sound like thunder or an explosion. Something definitely different than that. Having lived in Central Florida off and on for over 15 years, to me it sounded like something that one would hear at Cape Canaveral on the day of a launch. It was definitely weird.

Barbara Evans Gregg Hall...so glad you were filming when this happened. That's what we all heard. Now if we only knew what "that "was.

Ken Dauth Cool video...and it was the earth, i couldn't tell here in VOC

Gregg Hall Barbara Evans - It was Kimberly Miceli who caught it with her Mac while we were doing the video

Rasa Ra Since nothing was visible, yet everyone heard it. The vibration, as mentioned earlier was Very similar to the sonic boom of a jet (only in this case several) and I fully agree with Jamie, Cape Canaveral kinda boom... it leaves room for wild speculations of not a UFO but a USO (Unidentified Sound Object) LOL yet being sincere....

Gregg Hall It started as a low rumble and then got very loud where we were on the side of the mountain - it was vibrating the ground for sure...

Jamie Conglose Cape Canaveral de je vu What you describe is the sequence of sounds and vibrations of a rocket launch, Gregg.

Rasa Ra Just no rocket that was launched, more like several super sonic air-crafts breaking the barrier of sound.... going beyond Mach1, hence a few in a row perhaps??? Speculations lead to insights... any other "offers"??

Gregg Hall It felt seismic where we were ...

Rasa Ra USGS has nothing on record... that would be a No to seismic and there was no earth-shaking either (besides the "pressure" rolling over the ground)

Gregg Hall Didn't say it WAS seismic - said it "felt" like that sitting on a ledge on the side of a mountain... I AM wide open to find out what it was as well

Karen Rambat I didn't see the camera shake but it's such a deep sound, even digitally. I can't imagine standing there when that happened. What a beautiful video. Thank you for shining ever-so-brightly.

Wing N Laurie we were high on a rock out by Palatki...heard it but felt it in the feet and heart

Jocelyn Buckner Wow! long low rumbling, lasting about 9 seconds, could feel the shock waves on my body...

Jocelyn Buckner At first I thought it was a big truck too, but I could feel it in my body (not a truck!)

Tom Shoemaker Heard and felt it around 4:50 in West Sedona off Aldante. Seemed to be coming from the Thunder Mt area or beyond

Joyce S. Kaye I was in VOC and heard/felt it...

Laurel Lyons I was outside at Crystal Enlightenment (4:50 p.m.) and felt it like a California earthquake w/out the rumbling, heard it like a big truck sound and knew it was neither. It was a hefty "whatever" Earth based "something" for sure!

Natasha Shealy Felt as far as the entire verde valley !

Valerie Irons I also heard the big truck-like thing. Figured that's what it was rattling my windows.

Mark Short I heard 3 big rumble sound like sonic booms coming from Cottownwood area. I was hiking off of Dry creek rd couldn't get my iphone out quick enough to record.

Lina Rueda ahhh mark! lol just kidding...

Dana De Luz I thought it was a delivery truck in our VOC neighborhood too. I even asked the kids if they saw one outside.

Mikiko Duncan Uchida OMG, people in Japan(Tokyo area) also felt something about 3 hours ago. Lets pray for our mother earth...

Carrie Konyha I was in Staples getting copies during the time of people hearing the sound but come to think of it, I heard a rumbling but didnt think anything of it - thought maybe it was a truck going over a speed bump in the parking lot or something...

Charlotte Brand I heard and felt also, my whole house shook, Im by the creek near Page Springs.

Rasa Ra Never felt anything quite like it. Planes breaking through the sound barrier have one boom, that's it. Since this was heard as well as felt throughout the Valley and being above ground vs mining or earthquake activity.... we will never find out what it was Does anyone know of someone that might've been in Sycamore canyon today???

Laurel Lyons It was unique ... and clearly based on range, impact and volume combined, something to hold thought and feel of. I find the common thread here of the sound/feel of a large truck interesting.

Rasa Ra Having worked at Morenci (huge open pit mine near Safford) I am familiar to detonations and general mining activity and this was different. Also different is the way that it was felt not just linear but more circular. One directional would have meant so much of a boom that Cottonwood would be flattened, somehow it seems that it might've come from the center and went in every direction equally.

Charlotte Brand It did sound and feel a bit like thunder, I went outside to see if we were in the middle of an unexpected storm!

Jonathan Sprague That's how quakes radiate from zero point rasa, I'm telling you we had a quake. The usgs seismic recorder for Sedona is right off of 179 before javelina. I'm gonna call our offices here in phx and see if anythings been recorded.

Jan Revell I went out to see if there were storm clouds. At first, thought it was a truck but then decided perhaps it was thunder since it rolled (circular was a good description) - but there was nothing other than blue sky with some clouds. I stood out there for a while so as not to miss a second round (of thunder and perhaps lightning?) but .... nada. VOC area.

Debbie Dehm Mama Earth talking to us.

Rebecca Sprague Reported to the USGS. I encourage anyone who felt it to use their form on the website to report what they experienced. Japan gets small earthquakes many times every day, usually too small to feel or cause damage, but knowing that Tokyo sits on a major fault that got displaced after last years large event is a little scary. That whole area in East Asia is scary...

Sarah McLean It felt like a deep explosion.

Jocelyn Buckner underground tunneling? air quakes? a portal being moved? hmmm.

Jonathan Sprague Could have been a deep underground fault moving gas or water? Perhaps a secession of rocks hitting the atmosphere at super sonic speeds?

Ken Dauth I can't be sure of the origination, above or below, at first at thought a truck was rumbling through the neighborhood, I was hearing it and feeling it at the same time, though the sound was what caught my attention at first...but when I was in VA during their earthquake of the 2011 summer, I felt an aftershock that was very similar to what I experienced yesterday evening. I must admit I did think about the planetary alignment that is happening now and how it could effect even a geologically stable area like Sedona. But I am still not sure what it was. And I am also not sure I want the government's or media's explanation of what happened...

Milda Kristina Borgogni My son said...it was in the sky though mom, not the ground....?

Rasa Ra Without a doubt... this was above ground. If it would''ve come from below we would''ve had recorded seismic activity. Plus by now a huge whole in the ground or some flattened buildings. A buddy told me he heard and felt something very similar only a few weeks ago when I was in Europe....

Possibilities:
  • There are over 1400 mines in Arizona, many of them abandoned, so it's possible that the sounds are from these caving in from age.
  • Some mines are still active, so perhaps some blasting was going on.
  • Perhaps there is some seismic testing going on.
  • Perhaps there is some fracking going on.
  • Maybe some sonic booms, but those shouldn't shake the ground that much
NOTE: Data from station TUC (Tucson, Arizona) reported seismic activity between 18:10 and 18:30 on Wednesday Dec 05, 2012

Live Feed ( refresh to see current readings )

TUC_24hr.gif

What is the Radius of the valley? If it was a mine collapse, to be felt that widely (even if you discount the report from texas) one would have to think it's part of a chain reaction of multiple mines collapsing. I don't know much about the science of ground movement and acoustics but would such a mundane event as a mine collapse account for such a large area?

and jump a whole state :cool:

What is the Radius of the valley? If it was a mine collapse, to be felt that widely (even if you discount the report from texas) one would have to think it's part of a chain reaction of multiple mines collapsing. I don't know much about the science of ground movement and acoustics but would such a mundane event as a mine collapse account for such a large area?
and jump a whole state :cool:

Mine collapses can be quite large and snap rock support structures, and sound can travel in the ground for thousands of miles. So it's conceivably possible as an explanation. But is it the explanation? I dunno. Given the seismic readings and the uncertainty of the seismologists about "true earthquakes" I wouldn't rule it out, and I'd put it much closer to the top of my suspect list than the planet Niburu.

A Russian mine collapse seen from the air.
coalcollapse.jpg

call me stupid but what on earth was the original purpose of the above video?
Huh? Yikes, yer right, GOOD question!
Now you you have a sense of why I moved outta Sedona (in '06) and eased down the hill into the dirty Verde Valley lol New-age yahoos are one thing---20-something-yr-old versions...oh my!
I do however, appreciate the synchronistic validation/documentation of Tuesday's anomalous event ... Stranger things will probably happen ...sooner if not later...

Yeah I wondered about that too. I'm all for enthusiasm ...to a point I guess. Oh well, at least she's happy.

But the looks on thier faces said a lot more about the noise than the actual sound did.

I remember reading something about "sky-quakes".......has anyone else heard of that?

call me stupid but what on earth was the original purpose of the above video?

Seems like they're just hanging out and doing their thing ... expressions of love ... a little music ... enjoying the scenery ... a bit of a happy dance ... it all seems harmless enough. However their reaction to the sounds ( "We hear you mother. We hear you father." ) does seem to indicate a propensity for leaping to certain metaphysical conclusions without having done sufficient investigation. For example, what if the sounds really were from a mine collapse or seismic testing? That would make their whole reaction seem kind of ridiculous ... come to think of it, it seems kind of ridiculous anyway ... but like I said, harmless enough, and who am I to judge? I probably seem equally weird to some people when I talk about UFOs.

Kind of reminded me of a 'Pet Shop Boys' video with the singer prancing about as is his wont and the keyboard player desperately trying to look totally nonchalant.

But I agree that the expression on the girl's face - and her sudden turn to swearing from happy dancing - does kind of provide some 'proof' that the sound happened. I think that the camera's mic only really picked up the loud boom part, but judging by their expressions, there was a fair duration to the sound, or more than one boom?

Anyway, I'm thinking, sonic boom, earthquake or underground explosions of some kind? I don't know if anyone was making connections to the supposed 'sky sounds' or not, but this seemed more of a 'boom' and no more?
I've listened to a few podcasts on this subject of sky sounds and I've moved from being totally unbelieving to a position of there may be some core truth - there are some witnesses who have claimed to have heard these strange noises, they are not talking about the copied stuff on youtube. Who knows!

What is the Radius of the valley? If it was a mine collapse, to be felt that widely (even if you discount the report from texas) one would have to think it's part of a chain reaction of multiple mines collapsing. I don't know much about the science of ground movement and acoustics but would such a mundane event as a mine collapse account for such a large area? and jump a whole state :cool:
It was heard over roughly a 50 sq mile area—too large for a mundane mine collapse. Could have been a series of explosions at the Jerome copper mine, but unlikely...

Article on world wide noise phenomena........... Skyquakes: Warnings From Earth's Destabilizing Core | Environment
I don't know about the Doomsday aspect of this article, but check it out.......be sure to look at the "survivalist" websites and adverts on the side.

Excerpt; Ominous booms thunder across the sky. These 'skyquakes' are abruptly erupting all over the world. Hundreds of thousands wonder in fear about the bizarre hums, explosive booms, and howling moans. From Russia, to Australia, from Chile to the Eastern Coast of the U.S., the sky is exploding. As the frequency and intensity increase people are asking: 'Is Doomsday approaching?' Some researchers fear that may be exactly what's coming… :eek::eek:

Check out the live feed above from the Tuscon recorder before it passes beyond the recoring time period !

Yeah it looks cool Ufology, but I can't interpret that graph. Is that P waves delta t or delta s? Or S waves? What is the scale of magnitude it's using? I'm not really sure what the Displacement Magnification means in terms of measuring the seismic waves, I don 't remember that from any of my classes.
Anyhoo, I can read the one I posted, I just prefer it. Siesmology wasn't my specialty in college, cartography was.

In any event, if that was a normal seismic reading without any magnification, it looks to me like Tucson would be just a hole in the ground by now. Those lines make it look like the station is experiencing 9.9+ magnitude earthquakes.:eek:

Yeah it looks cool Ufology, but I can't interpret that graph. Is that P waves delta t or delta s? Or S waves? What is the scale of magnitude it's using? I'm not really sure what the Displacement Magnification means in terms of measuring the seismic waves, I don 't remember that from any of my classes.
Anyhoo, I can read the one I posted, I just prefer it. Siesmology wasn't my specialty in college, cartography was.

In any event, if that was a normal seismic reading without any magnification, it looks to me like Tucson would be just a hole in the ground by now. Those lines make it look like the station is experiencing 9.9+ magnitude earthquakes.:eek:

I'm no expert either. But the chart is a live feed from a USGS station. Here's the link: Seismic Network Operations

Back