• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What World Under Climate Change

We're still arguing climate change here? Seriously? I've been away for a while and my old friend Pixelsmith still hasn't realized he's arguing the wrong points?
It's happening. Let's try and figure out how much we are contributing to it (hint: a lot) and do something about it. Also, only listen to the experts, not any politicians (regardless of what side of the argument they fall on).

Some one or group has been thinking long and hard about overpopulation and it's effects. Just go and research the Georgia Guidestones. Reducing the population from 7 billion plus to 500 million is one of the stated goals. I'm pretty sure that means eradicating humans by any means possible.

As somebody had the money and means to build this stone monument, it lead me to believe that those in power have some wicked ideas about our future.

You worry too much... the Georgia Guidestones are just a monument. People seem to have ascribed some sort of bizarre aura to it.
I don't worry at all. I just am pointing out someone or some group went to an awful lot of expense to make their beliefs known. Make of it what you will.

I looked up Dr. Mann's Wikipedia biography to get a background on the claims that he may have falsified data:

Here are the relevant passages:

Gene, WIKI? really? This a couple years old but tells the story you and Tyger think you know.

Michael Mann – never fully investigated, thus never exonerated
TEXT:

Guest post by Christopher Horner

Michael Mann has made what will, I expect, prove to be his greatest misjudgment yet. He has filed suit against the Competitive Enterprise Institute (with which I am affiliated), a CEI adjunct, National Review Online and Mark Steyn for libel.

The gist of his claim that negative characterizations of him and his activities are actionable is that he has been “exonerated”. No, he hasn’t.

The truth is he has never even been investigated, and has furiously warded off scrutiny of what he and his allies insisted was the missing “context” explaining away Climategate. This suit, if he continues with it, should put an end to that.

I and my co-counsel encountered this talking point after Mann intervened in litigation against the University of Virginia, seeking to block release of certain public records relating to his tenure there (our judge rightly waived that away as irrelevant to applying the law).

Like so much else in the “climate” realm this claim suffers badly under scrutiny. As I detail, in discussing publicly funded academia’s refusal to self-police, in my new bookThe Liberal War on Transparency: Confessions of a Freedom of Information “Criminal”.

Exoneration requires investigation; investigation requires pursuit aimed at discovering material facts. Two bodies are actually positioned to pursue and produce such facts. Mann’s employer since 2005 and where he worked when the Climategate leaks occurred, Penn State University, has done no such thing. Neither has the University of Virginia where he worked when first organizing against researchers who were undermining his claims.

Panels in the United Kingdom which Mann often cites, the Muir Russell and Oxburgh inquiries into UK taxpayer-funded operations at the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit (CRU), did not even purport to address U.S. citizen Mann, or validate his work. They respectively inquired into “aspects of the behaviour of the CRU scientists” [sic, emphasis in original], “allegations about CRU‘s impact on climate science” and “to understand the significance of the roles played by those involved from CRU” (see, “The Independent Climate Change E-mails Review”); and “to assess the integrity of the research published by the Climatic Research Unit in the light of various external assertions” (see, “Report of the International Panel set up by the University of East Anglia to examine the research of the Climatic Research Unit”).

Mann is not and was not with CRU, and was not party to or the subject of those investigations. His role in Muir Russell was limited to submitting comments, like 110 other individuals seeking to influence matters, despite, according to Muir Russell, authoring the second-greatest number of relevant emails. Mann’s name does not even appear in the Oxburgh report purportedly “exonerating” him.

It is worth noting that a UK FOI request helped uncover how the Oxburgh panel operated to cover over dissenting opinion in the ranks. See, e.g., “How Lord Oxburgh of Persil washed the Climategate team whiter than white (pt 2)”.

As regards the PSU fiasco, otherwise-sympathetic Clive Crook in The Atlantic styles the Muir Russell effort as being “equally probing” as Penn State’s, whose contortions heelegantly devastated, piquantly summarizing them as “difficult to parody”.

Further as I discuss in The Liberal War on Transparency, I have documents in which a principal in that effort indicates it was orchestrated from behind the scenes to avoid certain people being asked certain things, presumably because that would make the desired outcome impossible. See also Steve McIntyre, “New Information on the Penn State Inquiry Committee”.

Also, subsequent to Penn State’s report a U.S. Department of Commerce Inspector General managed to interview Eugene Wahl in the context of federal government involvement in Climategate, which PSU incredibly did not. (“Examination of issues related to internet posting of emails from Climatic Research Unit,”, p. 5). Wahl was someone to whom Mann did forward Phil Jones’s (UEA) request that Wahl hide or destroy records. About this, PSU was remarkably incurious, its unexplained decision to not interview Wahl further making a mockery of its supposed inquiry into whether Mann “engage[d] in, or participate[d] in, directly or indirectly, any actions with the intent to delete, conceal or otherwise destroy emails, information and/or data, related to [IPCC] AR4, as suggested by Phil Jones”.

We were not given the opportunity to depose Mann in the UVa case and so are unaware what if any knowledge of this he had at the time or since. We do know that PSU’s effort oddly did not meet the same uproar organized against other efforts to scrutinize the record, for example our various FOI requests. Unlike PSU’s proclaimed instigative tribunal, a simple FOIA request presents no ability to sanction Mann, but only threatens the transparency Mann agreed to as a condition of his employment at UVa. Yet announcement of what proved to be a risibly inept PSU effort, if one nominally with teeth, was greeted with no protest and, we are told, complete cooperation including turning over all requested records. That this behavior is inconsistent is something of an understatement.

The National Science Foundation purported to inquire, as well, but worked (almost entirely) from what PSU provided it. So much for that.

[Update Oct 25, by Chris Horner with thanks to Brian Angliss for inviting this elaboration: It equally failed to conduct a credibly rigorous examination of the evidence and/or key relevant factors. For example, the NSF OIG totally disregarded the findings of the NOAA OIG that Eugene Wahl had destroyed documents immediately upon receiving Mann’s email; Penn State apparently, and incredibly, never asked. Nor did NSF examine or report on whether, despite a conflict of interest, William Easterling had interfered with the Inquiry Committee even after supposedly “recusing” himself, interference which I understand stopped the Inquiry Committee from carrying out its obligation to interview critics, including Stephen McIntyre. Nor did the NSF OIG report directly address any of the contentious issues.]

The special silence, the dog not barking about supposed exoneration is the University of Virginia. Not once has UVA argued that it looked into Mann’s activities occurring on UVA’s watch. In fact, the University apparently was deliberate in its failure to conduct an inquiry. We have been reliably informed that UVA’s Board of Visitors suggested the administration get to the bottom of what transpired on Grounds, only to be rebuffed. The argument they received, we were told, is that the school could not guarantee that the findings would not be made public and as such it could not risk an investigation.

We also wished to depose the University on this matter but were denied the opportunity to confirm this. At our most recent hearing, the University stood and, oddly, denied any claim that the board stopped the administration from inquiring. No one has alleged this.

Regardless, as Mann now seeks to again use the courts to push this claim, the reality is plainly otherwise. Mann has never been credibly investigated. By definition he has therefore not been exonerated. In fact, he and his allies furiously oppose all possible independent inquiries — scrutiny of public, yet still-hidden records providing what they all swear is the missing context that would explain everything away as a big misinterpretation. Only release of UVa and other Climategate-related emails has the potential to actually exonerate the Hockey Team.

Read whatever you wish into their fiercely opposing release of precisely that which supposedly would clear their names. With this latest lawsuit, they may find they have no choice.

Christopher Horner is author of The Liberal War on Transparency: Confessions of a Freedom of Information “Criminal” (Threshold, October 2012).

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Anthony, per this counsel from Steve, would you please update the Mann/investigated post?
Date: Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:12 AM

My thoughts for a response were below, but I am going to go with his “update or ignore”.
Would you mind updating, and it’s obviously fine to note this was updated to resolve a correct statement being read ambiguously, re-characterizing it so as to dismiss the analysis, or something? thx cch

—–Original Message—–
To: chornerlaw <[email protected]>
Sent: Thu, Oct 25, 2012 1:01 pm
Subject: RE: I’ve got a speech I’ve only sketched out, for which I leave in hour and a half…can you look at/comment on this reply?

I’d be inclined to make a slight update to your post, but otherwise not engage. Perhaps something like this:

The National Science Foundation purported to inquire, as well, but worked almost entirely from what PSU provided it. [Update Oct 25, with thanks to Brian Angliss for inviting this elaboration: It equally failed to conduct a credibly rigorous examination of the evidence and/or key relevant factors. For example, the NSF OIG totally disregarded the findings of the NOAA OIG that Eugene Wahl had destroyed documents immediately upon receiving Mann’s email; Penn State apparently, and incredibly, never asked. Nor did NSF examine or report on whether, despite a conflict of interest, William Easterling had interfered with the Inquiry Committee even after supposedly “recusing” himself, interference which I understand stopped the Inquiry Committee from carrying out its obligation to interview critics, including Stephen McIntyre. Nor did the NSF OIG report directly address any of the contentious issues.] So much for that.

Sent: October-25-12 12:26 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: I’ve got a speech I’ve only sketched out, for which I leave in hour and a half…can you look at/comment on this reply?

And add to/improve as you see appropriate, thx:

A Brian Angliss at ScholarsandRogues takes umbrage at my guest post on WUWT detailing the spectacularly overblown nature of claims that Michael Mann has been exonerated, which requires being properly investigated. Specifically, he objects to this statement:

The National Science Foundation purported to inquire, as well, but worked from what PSU provided it. So much for that.

This statement is true, as the NSF document we both reference notes. I suppose NSF “purporting to inquire” is opinion, dependent upon one’s assessment of the effort’s scope and rigor. That they worked from what PSU provided them is disputed by no one. Angliss says “This is demonstrably false”.

To support this Angliss restates what I wrote, by implication, to charge at a strawman and declare it false: I apparently deny “that the OIG’s investigation went beyond the information provided to the OIG by Penn State.” I do not and did not deny it, but linked to the document saying as much.

For example, information I possess indicates that PSU panelists were instructed from behind the scenes to not interview Steve McIntyre, who was in fact interviewed by NSF (although neither report draws attention to its respective ignorance of or consultation McIntyre).

Angliss slays this allegation never made with aplomb. Allow me to rephrase for him and see which turn his umbrage takes: NSF began with (“worked from”) what PSU provided them. It was facially deficient, as Clive Crook among others noted to devastating effect. For example, on its face it was incredible that PSU did not interview McIntyre. Which NSF apparently agreed. They should have written about that interview. It would help support concerns about its rigorousness.

Regardless, mischaracterizing what I wrote to then say that mischaracterization is knowingly false or spreading false rumors is advocacy, not analysis. In fact, in his effort Angliss becomes what he deplores.

Penn State President Fired
Penn State President Fired « Climate Audit
text:

On the same day that Nature published yet another editorial repudiating public examination of the conduct of academic institutions, Penn State President Graham Spanier was fired from his $813,000/year job for failing to ensure that a proper investigation was carried out in respect to pedophilia allegations in Penn State’s hugely profitable football program. The story is receiving massive coverage in North America because the iconic Penn State football coach, Joe Paterno, was also fired today.

CA readers are aware of Spanier’s failure to ensure proper investigation of Climategate emails and his untrue puffs about the ineffective Penn State Inquiry Committee, reported at CA here and by the the Penn State Collegian as follows:

Graham Spanier addressed the inquiry and the panel’s work during the Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 22. Penn State President Spanier is quoted as saying:

“I know they’ve taken the time and spent hundreds of hours studying documents and interviewing people and looking at issues from all sides,” Spanier said.

Spanier’s claims were totally untrue. Not only did the Inquiry Committee fail to “look at issues from all sides”, they didn’t even interview or take evidence from critics – as they were required to do under the applicable Penn State policy. As I reported at CA at the time:

The only interviews mentioned in the report (aside from Mann) are with Gerry North and Donald Kennedy, editor of Science. [Since they are required to provide a transcript or summary of all interviews, I presume that the Inquiry did not carry out any other interviews.] What does Donald Kennedy know about the matter? These two hardly constitute “looking at issues from all sides”. [A CA reader observed below that “North [at a Rice University event] admitted that he had not read any of the EAU e-mails and did not even know that software files were included in the release.”] They didn’t even talk to Wegman. Contrary to Spanier’s claim, they did not make the slightest effort to talk to any critic or even neutral observer.

Although State Senator Piccola had written to Penn State President Spanier asking him to ensure that “the university must deploy its fullest resources to conduct an investigation of this case”, the Inquiry Committee decided that the investigation committee should not investigate three of the four charges “synthesized” by the inquiry committee and, as a result, despite the request of Piccola and others, no investigation was ever carried out Penn State on any of the key issues e.g the “trick… to hide the decline”, Mann’s role in the email deletion enterprise organised by Phil Jones or the failure to report adverse data which the House Energy and Commerce Committee had asked about (but not investigated by the NAS panel, whose terms of reference were sabotaged by Ralph Cicerone, President of NAS).

When told by the subsequent Investigation Committee that they weren’t investigating the substantive charges, Richard Lindzen told the committee,

“It’s thoroughly amazing. I mean these issues are explicitly stated in the emails. I’m wondering what’s going on?”

Clive Crook of the Atlantic Monthly mercilessly criticized Penn State for their fatuous findings that success in bringing revenue to the university and accolades from peers necessarily meant that misconduct was precluded:

The Penn State inquiry exonerating Michael Mann — the paleoclimatologist who came up with “the hockey stick” — would be difficult to parody. Three of four allegations are dismissed out of hand at the outset: the inquiry announces that, for “lack of credible evidence”, it will not even investigate them. …

You think I exaggerate?

This level of success in proposing research, and obtaining funding to conduct it, clearly places Dr. Mann among the most respected scientists in his field. Such success would not have been possible had he not met or exceeded the highest standards of his profession for proposing research…

Had Dr. Mann’s conduct of his research been outside the range of accepted practices, it would have been impossible for him to receive so many awards and recognitions, which typically involve intense scrutiny from scientists who may or may not agree with his scientific conclusions…

Clearly, Dr. Mann’s reporting of his research has been successful and judged to be outstanding by his peers. This would have been impossible had his activities in reporting his work been outside of accepted practices in his field.

In short, the case for the prosecution is never heard. Mann is asked if the allegations (well, one of them) are true, and says no.

In the case of Climategate, President Spanier apparently saw nothing wrong with reasoning that equated revenue generation with virtue and accepted the report.

In such a febrile environment, the likelihood of wilful blindness in respect to the far more profitable football program was that much greater and that appears to have been what happened. Even though a Penn State staff member witnessed a rape of a 10-year old by a more senior Penn State official, the junior Penn State staff member did not intervene at the time and investigation by more senior Penn State officials appears to have been cursory until a recent grand jury. (For example, they don’t appear to have bothered even identifying or interviewing the victims.)

It’s hard not to transpose the conclusions of the Penn State Climategate “investigation” into Penn State’s attitude towards misconduct charges in their profitable football program:

This level of success on the football field and revenue generated from it, clearly places Coaches Paterno and Sandusky among the most respected professionals in their field. Such success would not have been possible had he not met or exceeded the highest standards of their profession in operating a football program…

Had Coach Paterno or Coach Sandusky’s conduct of their program been outside the range of accepted practices, it would have been impossible for them to receive so many awards and recognitions, which typically involve intense scrutiny from peers who may or may not agree with his program …

Spanier planned to introduce Michael Mann at an invited lecture next February. I guess that someone else will make the introduction.

Spanier was fired not because of any personal role in the Sandusky football scandal, but because of negligence on his part in ensuring that the allegations were properly investigated. This was not the only case in which Spanier failed to ensure proper investigation of misconduct allegations. As noted above, Spanier had falsely reported to the Penn State trustees and the public that the Penn State Inquiry Committee had properly interviewed critics and had examined the Climategate documents and issues “from all sides”.

Breaking: Michael Mann in Perjury Sensation: Nobel Committee Affirm He Lied
Breaking: Michael Mann in Perjury Sensation: Nobel Committee Affirm He Lied | johnosullivan

TEXT:

The Norwegian Nobel Institute has today made a statement affirming that climate scientist, Michael Mann lied when he claimed he was a joint winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. The news is set to render a devastating blow to all libel suits Mann has filed against critics of his outlandish global warming claims.

Where once there was doubt now none remains

Tom Richard investigating for Examiner.com takes the credit for this sensational scoop. Tom says, “I contacted the Norwegian Nobel Institute to find out if Mann was indeed a Nobel Laureate, winner, etc.” A prompt reply from Geir Lundestad, Director, Professor, of The Norwegian Nobel Institute was soon forthcoming. In no uncertain terms Lundestad affirmed, “Michael Mann has never been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.” Yet lo and behold Mann makes the claim that he has been “awarded the Nobel Peace Prize” in the complaint itself (page 2, paragraph 2).

Mann and his hot shot lawyers have thus violated Rule 11(a)(1) and (3) over Mann’s dodgy affadavit submitted this week in the District of Columbia Court. He is now proven to have knowingly sought to mislead the court. In short, the offense is one of perjury. Blackstone’s law dictionary describes perjury as, “a crime committed when a lawful oath is administered, in some judicial proceeding, to a person who swears willfully, absolutely and falsely, in a matter material to the issue or point in question.”

EXHIBIT A: Mann’s IPCC certificate displayed in his office proving he was a helper NOT a Nobel Laureate

Earlier this week, Mark Steyn, a co-defendant in the latest Mann libel suit wasscathing about Mann’s Nobel Prize claims. As to the IPCC “certificate” Mann proudly displays on his Facebook page as “proof” Lundestad had this to say, “Unfortunately we often experience that members of organizations that have indeed been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize issue various forms of personal diplomas to indicate that they personally have received the Nobel Peace Prize. They have not.”

In essence, this new evidence shows that Mann will stoop to criminality to achieve his goals. He is now the veritable Lance Armstrong of climate science. Whether the court imposes a light or a harsh sanction the offense is a criminal act. As such, this is the best possible news for those Mann is suing for libel. Up till now there was only circumstantial evidence in the public domain to suggest the Penn State University (PSU) climatologist is guilty of academic fraud. But now with proof of perjury, Mann’s reputation sinks to an all time low with actual criminality established.

For all their smart work in forum shopping the case to the District of Columbia courts, Mann’s lawyers now face a tortuous uphill battle to win over any judge and jury, let alone one under “biased” Judge Natalie Combs-Greene.

In Canada this news may also impact Mann’s libel suit against fellow climatologist, Dr Tim Ball which has stalled since last year. That’s all because Mann refuses to provide courtroom examination of the dodgy data he has kept secret since he first concocted his infamous “hockey stick” graph that was trumpeted by the IPCC and others as “proof” human emissions of carbon dioxide were dangerously changing the climate.

You can imagine Mark Steyn, Rand Simberg and the folks at National Review and the Competitive Enterprise Institute will today be convulsant with laughter at the news.

Much Ado About Michael Mann the Climatology Courtroom Perjurer
Much Ado About Michael Mann the Climatology Courtroom Perjurer | johnosullivan

TEXT:

Three days on and it is finally beginning to dawn on his supporters that Michael Mann has been monumentally caught out committing perjury in two lawsuits in which he has filed untrue statements claiming to be a Nobel laureate. Already the retractions are happening apace.

Michael Mann surrenders his credibility

Just witness how Penn State University (PSU) and Wikipedia are in full retreat and a forlorn Mann has withdrawn to the sanctuary of his Facebook page. Today, up in Vancouver, Canada, Dr Tim Ball sits serene and satisfied that not only is he about to defeat Mann’s bogus, dragged out libel suit but that he can proudly announce that the organization of which he is chairman and co-founder, Principia Scientific International, today publishes a truly astonishing new paper utterly refuting the greenhouse gas theory.

We are truly at the end game of the man-made global warming scam that has preoccupied western academia for over a generation. The rent seekers like Mann sustained the greenhouse gas fraud to steal over $100+ billion from taxpayers. Monday morning PSU continues in it’s ignominious task of removing from all university documents and websites Mann’s bogus claims that he won the prestigious Nobel award in 2007.[1]

Mann’s crestfallen employers were already reeling and face further criminal charges in their midst due to the boardroom conspiracy in the cover up of theJerry Sandusky pedophile ring (conspiracy theories anyone?). Now they’re liable to a full investigation by the National Science Foundation, a federal agency, for complicity in this long-standing deception that culminated in Mann repeating the falsehood with his sworn affidavits, both in the Washington DC court last week and last year in the British Columbia Supreme Court versus Ball. In both instances, Mann sought to prevail in libel claims where others had disputed his truthfulness. It seems time has now caught up with the perjurer and his critics are proven correct.

NSF, as per their mandate, are required to investigate why PSU, a federally-funded university. PSU disregarded it’s own official policy about academic misconduct and false representation to and became complicit with their employee to assist him to profit personally, professionally and financially in plying his false Nobel claims. In this quid pro quo arrangement PSU gained undeserved prestige and addition funding. And the happy counterfeiting arrangement went on brazenly for several years.
As I reported yesterday, PSU is hard at work playing damage limitation. But is it too late? No doubt their attorneys advised them that to continue to make such misrepresentations renders the university to the charge of accessories in the crime. At minimum they flagrantly disregarded their own policy statement on academic misrepresentation:
“Academic integrity includes a commitment by all members of the University community not to engage in or tolerate acts of falsification, misrepresentation or deception. Such acts of dishonesty violate the fundamental ethical principles of the University community and compromise the worth of work completed by others.”

On two separate occasions, the first last year in British Columbia Supreme Court, Canada, the second last week in the District of Columbia Court Mann committed perjury with the implicit consent of his university that also shields pedophiles. PSU enabled Mann’s nauseating chutzpah to rise above mere academic fraud into criminality. Regardless of Mann’s counterfeiting his Nobel credentials, his increasingly popular adversary in Canada, Tim Ball, is on the very brink of defeating Mann on a wholly separate issue anyway: Mann’s refusal to comply with the court’s mandatory requirement to release of his hidden “hockey stick” graph data (more on that below).

For over a year the Ball case has been a slow -ticking time bomb and very soon Ball’s legal team will be motioning for a dismissal on the basis that Mann declines to progress the case. In both lawsuits Mann’s court papers comprise a list of arguments from authority whereby the “authority” on all things climate is inferred to be a Nobel laureate, i.e. Mann himself. By unlawfully assuming the identity of “Nobel laureate” he then demands that the courts take this “Nobel laureate’s” word that Mann’s science “must” therefore be top class. That’s called deception with intent to gain undue advantage.

There can be no mistake, from hereon in the defendants in these actions will want to put it to any jury that if Mann can lie under oath and falsify his academic credentials, then what else has he falsified? On the balance of probability a reasonable juror may thus then be inclined to believe Mann also lies when he declares his (hidden) “hockey stick” data isn’t deliberately rigged (fraudulent).

The “hockey stick” graph has been an iconic image since the 2001 Report by the International Panel on Climate Change. It is allegedly reliable and affirmed tree ring proxy evidence proving the existence of dangerous man-made global warming. It isn’t and doesn’t. In fact, no third party analysts have been allowed any open access to Mann’s crucial, but hidden r-squared cross-validation results for his graph.

But we do know a few interesting facts about this secret science. For example, it is a matter of public record that Mann’s proxy reconstruction method was made by lining up his tree ring data with measured temperatures in the 20th century to calibrate the scale. In the process Mann used a statistic called the r-squared correlation coefficient. We also know, from evidence in the public domain, that Mann found that over most of the reconstruction there was essentially no match (in other words the r-squared data was telling Mann his graph was junk).

We know Mann did, indeed, perform this important due diligence test because he let on that he got r-squared results for the one part of the data where there was a weak match. We also see it in the code he eventually was forced to publish. We critics of this post-normal junk science then say Mann thereafter lied when he proudly boasted to journalists that his graph had passed the tests. He got away with that hubris for a while because he very carefully didn’t publish most of the r-squared numbers themselves. These unpublished r-squared numbers are what Tim Ball wants to see examined in open court and what Steve McIntyre and others have repeatedly asked Mann to release. Instead Mann had his PSU employers spend upwards of a million dollars to pull every trick in the book in the U.S. to finally block open public access to it in the Virginia courts. But that trick won’t work in Canada under different judicial rules.

In fact, the r-squared numbers are what the ‘dirty laundry’ comment in the Climategate emails was about. Mann won’t release the r-squared data to Ball to pick apart in open court, and would rather lose the case. We say Mann chooses not to comply with court rules because if he did release the numbers we believe he will be exposed in court for what he actually did after performing his original r-squared tests. We test data shows his procedure was bad (ie it created hockey sticks whatever numbers were fed in, and Mann knew it). In fact, statistics expert, Steve McIntyre and others have actually demonstrated that Mann’s methods themselves are why his tortured data churns out endless hockey stick-shaped graphs.

Reason and common sense demands that if Michael Mann is guilty and all his lawsuits must be thrown out. Certainly, costs and damages should be awarded to Dr Ball. While Mann’s employers, Penn State University and the NSF, must now sanction him. The US federal govt should also sanction Penn State for their duplicity. Perhaps a Romney Whitehouse might even countenance banning PSU from applying for any further federal funding for several years. The world is now seeing the complete vindication of Dr Ball. He was right on the money when said Mann belongs in the ” state pen, not Penn State!”

———————–

[1]Page 6 (Para. 17) of Mann’s Complaint makes the false and misleading claim that Mann, “shared the Nobel Peace Prize with the other IPCC authors for their work in climate change, including the development of the Hockey Stick Graph.”

Gene I could post all day and night about this guy and his band of bought and paid for climate "scientists".

According to what it says at Wikipedia, "The 2007 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to the IPCC as an organization, and the prize was not an award to any individual involved with the IPCC."

So it appears he was part of a group that got the award, but it would be wrong to say it was specifically of him. This may be an important distinction, and maybe he should have been more forthcoming about the facts, but it doesn't necessarily disprove his research.

MICHAEL MANN FACES BANKRUPTCY AS HIS COURTROOM CLIMATE CAPERS COLLAPSE

Michael Mann Faces Bankruptcy as his Courtroom Climate Capers Collapse | Principia Scientific Intl

Massive counterclaims, in excess of $10 million, have just been filed against climate scientist Michael Mann after lawyers affirmed that the former golden boy of global warming alarmism had sensationally failed in his exasperating three-year bid to sue skeptic Canadian climatologist, Tim Ball. Door now wide open for criminal investigation into Climategate conspiracy.

Buoyed by Dr Ball's successes, journalist and free-speech defender,Mark Steyn has promptly decided to likewise countersue Michael Mann for $10 million in response to a similar SLAPP suit filed by the litigious professor from Penn. State University against not just Steyn, but also the National Review, the Competitive Enterprise Institute and Rand Simberg. Ball's countersuit against Mann seeks "exemplary and punitive damages. " Bishop Hill blog is running extracts of Steyn's counterclaim, plus link.

Mann’s chief undoing in all such lawsuits is highlighted in a quote in Steyn’s latest counterclaim:

“Plaintiff continues to evade the one action that might definitively establish its [his science’s] respectability - by objecting, in the courts of Virginia, British Columbia and elsewhere, to the release of his research in this field. See Cuccinelli vs Rectors and Visitors of the University of Virginia...”

At last, after 3 years of legal wrangling, it is made clear why I was so bold as to formally undertake an indemnity to fully compensate Dr Ball for my own actions in the event Mann won the case. Respected Aussie climate commentator, Jo Nova was one of the few to commend my unparalled commitment to Ball's cause.

Steyn’s legal team, aware of the latest developments from Vancouver, have correctly adduced that Ball has effectively defeated Mann after the Penn. State pretender’s preposterous and inactive lawsuit against Ball was rendered dormant for failure to prosecute. Under law, Mann’s prevarications, all his countless fudging and evasiveness in the matter, establishes compelling evidence that his motive was not to prove Ball had defamed him, but more likely a cynical attempt to silence fair and honest public criticism on a pressing and contentious government policy issue.

The fact Mann refused to disclose his ‘hockey stick’ graph metadata in the British Columbia Supreme Court, as he is required to do under Canadian civil rules of procedure, constituted a fatal omission to comply, rendering his lawsuit unwinnable. As such, Dr Ball, by default, has substantiated his now famous assertion that Mann belongs "in the state pen, not Penn. State." In short, Mann failed to show he did not fake his tree ring proxy data for the past 1,000 years, so Ball’s assessment stands as fair comment. Moreover, many hundreds of papers in the field of paleoclimate temperature reconstructions that cite Mann’s work are likewise tainted, heaping more misery on the discredited UN’s Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change (IPCC) which has a knack of relying on such sub prime science.

Where Do We Go From Here?

It will likely be open season on Mann. Anyone may now freely dismiss him in the harshest terms as a junk scientist who shilled for a failed global warming cabal. Without fear of his civil legal redress, we may now refer to Mann for what he is: a climate criminal, a fraudster.

Being that Mann's suit in the BC court was filed 3 years ago before he filed against Steyn, it appears Dr Ball will be first in line with his counterclaims and pipping Steyn for the well-deserved $10 million compensation prize. That’s if Mann's financial backers (most notably, the David Suzuki Foundation) aren't bankrupted first.

Woe for Weaver, too

But the more savvy climate analysts will note something here that is far more important scientifically than just Ball’s sensational legal victory over Mann. That is Ball’s more telling concurrent court triumph over Professor Andrew Weaver, “climate scientist” at the University of Victoria, BC, Deputy Leader of the Green Party of British Columbia, and a member of the British Columbia Legislative Assembly. Weaver has also established himself as the IPCC’s lead climate modeler.

Long-time readers may recall that Weaver also sued Ball for libel in February 2011, some months before Mann took a punt at it. David Suzuki's mouthpiece, desmogblog.com made huge fanfare of it at the time. Both Ball and I suffered the ignominy of having all our online articles removed from the Canada Free Press website after CFP caved into the bully boy tactics masterminded behind the scenes by the deep-pocketed David Suzuki and his Desmogblog cronies, who thereafter smeared my name, too).

Weaver’s libel suit against Ball has also now been rendered dormant due to failure to prosecute because Weaver, like Mann, won’t disclose his (similarly dubious) metadata. Both these prominent men have been expensively represented by one of Canada’s top libel experts, Roger McConchie, who claims he “literally wrote the book on “Canadian Libel and Slander Actions.””

This is an epic double whammy for Ball. As an inadvertent courtroom martyr for climate skeptics Dr Ball has destroyed the credibility of both the IPPC paleoclimate record (Mann’s ‘hockey stick’ graph ‘science’) and all those IPCC computer model ‘projections’ of a dangerously warming climate (Weaver’s ‘science’). And all achieved in the most important ‘peer reviewed’ venue possible – a government court of law. The threat of the cold light of truth being shone on their "secret science" was a step too far for Mann and Weaver. As such, the alarmist (false) claims of a cooler past climate presented by Mann, and doomsaying computer model projections of a dangerously warming future climate, presented by the still hugely influential Weaver, would not stand up in court.

So, forget Steyn’s case – the court victories that count, in terms of the scientific (and political) consequences, are entirely due to Tim Ball. By tenaciously and bravely defending his actions for three long years the mild-mannered septaugenarian has single-handedly proved that the very core of government climate science is junk. Thereby, this instance of 'science on trial' is no less significant, in the broadest sociatal context, as the infamous Scope's Monkey Trial of 1925.

But was the "evidence" for global warming intentionally and illegally concocted? By their persistence in hiding their data we may think so, as far as Mann and Weaver are concerned; while Dr Ball's latest sensational book,''The Deliberate Corruption of Climate Science;' detailing the Climategate shenanigans, is a 'must read' as to culpability. But only a full criminal investigation will be determinative of all that. The question now is, will the U.S. and Canadian governmental authorities have the stomach to delve deeper?

According to what it says at Wikipedia, "The 2007 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to the IPCC as an organization, and the prize was not an award to any individual involved with the IPCC."

So it appears he was part of a group that got the award, but it would be wrong to say it was specifically of him. This may be an important distinction, and maybe he should have been more forthcoming about the facts, but it doesn't necessarily disprove his research.
Again... WIKI? really Gene?
read my posts..

I did. Exaggerating one's achievements doesn't make him a criminal. Having financial issues doesn't make one a criminal, or we'd have tens of millions of them.

More to the point, the piece you quoted reads like a brief for the opposing lawyers. Really now!

I am just grabbing and posting stuff quickly before you ban me again for opposing tyger. There is plenty of information out there proving that there is MANN MADE global warming and not Man Made global warming.

What you are doing is cherry picking, as you've always done.

But as long as you stay free of personal attacks, and calling someone a criminal is a personal attack, you can express your point of view.

Can we start by listing nothing but proved and known unemotional facts and please stop posting emotionally articulated viewpoints from either side of the fence? What are the facts here? All we need to settle this once and for all is for both sides of the debate to play by the same precise rules. The first poster, and all posting member participants that follow, that state "I believe", or IMO, is disqualified and must cease to post anymore until a factual conclusion is reached. Deal? Now, what are the unequivocal facts in the case for mankind directly influencing climate change to the degree, that prove beyond question, mankind is the responsible agent and must alter it's path or suffer climate relative disaster? Remember, you cannot state merely supportive evidence here. Precautionary projections or not. This is solely about proof that exists here and now for what constitutes undeniable man made climate change. This being to the precise effect that the resulting climate change will negatively impact this planet, and directly influence our possible extinction as a species. Please proceed.

This is not a climate change debate thread. :rolleyes:

While I appreciate Gene stepping in here - thank you, Gene -it's really a thankless task. Pixel is fixated. He should not be posting his debating points on this thread.

My opinion of pixel's and manxman's grasp of the science, and their ability to absorb information intelligently, is not relevant. They can think what they want, post what they want - elsewhere.

I started this thread to explore the reality of climate change as an actual event taking place - this seems to offend certain people who are keen to keep the Paracast chat site world 'pure' of what they have determined is floss. That is interesting to me in itself, but I am not interested in the debate of the science. The science speaks for itself - I don't need to debate it. (It's always shifting btw - it never stays still - unlike the position of some posters who never go with the flow).

I want to look at how the climate change predictions are being borne out. That interest me and the scientific world is discussing that. We are in the midst of a world altering event - and yes the evidence is overwhelming that it been human induced this time round. You disagree with that, take issue with the scientists, not with me.

The 'debate' (as such) has ranged far and wide on this chat site across innumerable threads. This should not be one of those threads - for sanity's sake. It was started specifically to avoid the 'debate' a poster like pixel wishes to engage - ostensibly regarding the science but usually it's just a series of ad hominem attacks. I have been the subject of one such attack on this chat site in an attempt to nullify what I post apparently. It would be amusing if it were't so ugly, and even creepy.

Yet again for the umpteenth time the same'ol'same'ol 'debating points' pixel feels are relevant get dredged up from some other thread. There seems to be a suggestion that because pixel has these objections then nothing should be posted - certainly nothing mentioning Mann or any other climate scientists the PR machine has slimed. It's a unique pov in my experience.

If you look back on previous climate change threads pixel has driven all of them into silence and basically shut them down. His is the last post usually chortling that he has 'won' because everyone has 'run away'. It's tiresome.

It appears that I have been the sole poster who has refused to be silenced. I have no interest in debate and this seems to upset two posters. They will not let anyone alone who posts on climate change and does not adhere to their denialist pov - which has changed now, as it's too obvious we're in deep trouble, so the deniers now say 'of course the climate is changing, it always has, but it's not human induced, and it's not serious, we can't do anything about it.' - which gives 'permission' to business-as-usual. This is the current party line being peddled, and pixel has swung to that. Okay - he's entitled - but why then should everyone else say nothing? This is taking place in the US - whole states as in Florida and Wisconsin are disallowing the phrase 'climate change' to be used. That the 'party line' would be 'trickling down' to this chat site is fascinating in itself.

Back