• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Way to settle the Zeta Riticuli debate forever?

Drew,

I do appreciate the effort you've put into giving us your opinion on my somewhat rhetorical question. Well done.

What say we find the planets orbiting the stars systems first, then worry about what, if anything, we may have to trade later. That said, we do have some used NeoCons for sale. Hell, I'd even give em away if they'd take em....

:D

I've always had a problem with the SETI folks... why are we sure at all that if someone were there they'd be using radio. Seems very anthropomorphic.

There's lots of other potential ways to transmit and receive information... like optically (lasers), using gravity waves, neutrinos, even the "spooky action at a distance" with QM. And lots, I'm sure, that we haven't even thought of.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't take a look in the radio spectrum to check it out, but as Friedman says "Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence."

I'm not sure we have the technology to flash gravity waves, neutrinos, or other quantum particles that way. Scientificially we're not there yet. Radio waves are very simple to manipulate and I think the common belief is an up-and-coming society would discover radio waves and their manipulation long before they've tapped the QM realm. Radio frequencies are the kiddie pool where lasers+ are more the deep end of the big-kids pool.

And, I believe Carl Segan actually coined the phrase "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" to which I've always replied back myself, "Absence of evidence is not evidence of existence" but that's the skeptic in me. :D .

J.

Well. I was just listening to Stan do his patented rant on C 2 C about Zeta Reticuli being the home of the aliens even though that whole spiel has been pretty much debunked.

The Truth About Zeta Reticuli

That was published back in 2013, so one would think Stan would have gotten wind of it by now.

Last edited:
Back