• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UK Airplane Has Close Encounter with UFO

the reflection theory is given credit by two facts
1 only the pilot saw it
2 the aircraft collision alert did not sound.
an anylisis of the black box may show more info...

Here is a condensed summary from several cross referenced sources. I haven't located the original report. The sighting actually took place last year.

Date & Time: Around 6:30pm, July 19, 2013
Location: at about 34,000ft, around 20 miles west of London's Heathrow Airport, over the Berkshire countryside
Witness: An unnamed Captain of an A320 Airbus passenger jet.
Report Source: Various news repoerting agencies allegedly quoting a report released by the UK Airprox Board, part of the Civil Aviation Authority.
Sighting Duration: A few seconds.

The captain ( pilot ) was looking out the a cockpit window and saw a cigar-shaped metallic object flying at a similar altitude, seemingly directly at his plane which passed under the A320 at a distance of about 300 feet without triggering the aircraft's Traffic Collision avoidance System ( TCAS ).

The pilot was under the impression that they were on a collision course and his immediate reaction was to duck to the right and reach over to the alert the First Officer; but the incident was over so quickly that there no time to talk to alert him. Skeptics theorize a cockpit reflection. Investigators ruled out the possibility that it was a meteorological balloon or a helium balloon and concluded that the A320 pilot was subject to a powerful impression of immediate danger caused by his perception of an object closing rapidly on his aircraft.

An unknown primary contact was recorded in A320’s 10 o’clock at a range of 2.2nm. This contact first appeared on the radar at 1828:53, in the vicinity of the village of Eling, approximately 30nm West of Heathrow. The unknown contact routed West and landed at White Waltham at 1846. This was identified as being a Tiger Moth aircraft which was operating at low-level and was eliminated from the investigation.

In 2012, the head of the National Air Traffic Control Services said around one unexplained flying object is detected every month.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status: There is insufficient information to conclude that the object ( assuming it was an object ) was a UFO ( alien craft ).

Last edited:
2 the aircraft collision alert did not sound.
TCAS relies on a transponder code transmitted by each individual plane, so the missing collision alert is to be expected in the case of a UFO.

Edit: The lack of a ground radar track seems more at odds with the report from the pilot.

Last edited:
I had a UFO experience on a flight out from London to Ireland. It wasn't Heathrow it was Stansted i flew from. I put up a post on here about it, when it happened. It was around 15 to 20 minutes into the flight. Still over land, don't know what part of the UK, I was flying over at the time unfortunately. It was very high up though about 25,000, or 30,000 feet. i saw about 5 or 6 black objects in the clouds. To be honest, i have actually forgotten the number, but i remember 6 objects at various distances from each other.

I haven't thought about this experience in a while. They weren't disk shaped or triangle., i had only a small window to look out from. My friend was sitting at the window and i was looking over to see. I was in the middle. It was a three seater seat, i was in the first row, close to the front door of the Airplane.

I was going to film it and photograph them, unfortunately one Air hostess was sitting right in front of me. I should have done it, but i didn't, regret now. No phones are allowed to be turned on while in the air, so it would likely have got me in big trouble, i was thinking.

As for the objects. They didn't do much they were motionless. To me they were shaped like old Industrial chimneys, that used to blow smoke, to end a working day. Colour/ black and brown look. My friend said they're was an orange glow around the edges. I couldn't see that to be honest.

Just a short summary of what i saw.

I had a UFO experience on a flight out from London to Ireland. It wasn't Heathrow it was Stansted i flew from. I put up a post on here about it, when it happened. It was around 15 to 20 minutes into the flight. Still over land, don't know what part of the UK, I was flying over at the time unfortunately. It was very high up though about 25,000, or 30,000 feet. i saw about 5 or 6 black objects in the clouds. To be honest, i have actually forgotten the number, but i remember 6 objects at various distances from each other.

I haven't thought about this experience in a while. They weren't disk shaped or triangle., i had only a small window to look out from. My friend was sitting at the window and i was looking over to see. I was in the middle. It was a three seater seat, i was in the first row, close to the front door of the Airplane.

I was going to film it and photograph them, unfortunately one Air hostess was sitting right in front of me. I should have done it, but i didn't, regret now. No phones are allowed to be turned on while in the air, so it would likely have got me in big trouble, i was thinking.

As for the objects. They didn't do much they were motionless. To me they were shaped like old Industrial chimneys, that used to blow smoke, to end a working day. Colour/ black and brown look. My friend said they're was an orange glow around the edges. I couldn't see that to be honest.

Just a short summary of what i saw.

Hi Kieran, happy new year.

What airport in Ireland were you flying to?
Can you remember which airline it was?

I dunno. Reflection in the window etc., might make sense. But, what compels me to believe that the pilot saw an actual physical object, is the fact that he went so far as to make an official report about it. He was/is that certain he saw something.

Yes, Happy New Year.

Shannon Airport, Co Clare.

The Airline was Ryanair

I reckon that you would have been roughly in the area between Northampton, Bristol and Birmingham 15-20 minutes into your flight. (see map)
map1.png

The red X is where I think you would be after 15-20 minutes flying.

Here is a map of the official Ryanair route from Stansted to Shannon:
official route ryanair.png

here is a map including the suggested Waypoints I found on an aviation forum:
suggested flightpath.png

here are the links to my sources::

map: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&channel=np&q=stansted&ie=UTF-8&ei=L3HNUp2RJ6b07AaFmYCADQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg
Edit you will have to manually add destinations as I cant seem to link the map, the destinations/waypoints are. (1) London Stansted Airport, (2) Compton Berkshire, (3) Brecon Wales, (4) Strumble head Wales and (5) Shannon Airport Éire.

Ryanair Routes: Stansted: Destination map

Suggested flight path taken from: Stansted To Shannon Flight Path — Tech Ops Forum | Airliners.net

Additional info: I believe that the Aircraft type was a Boeing 737-800:
About Us - Ryanair Fleet

Boeing 737 Next Generation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I reckon that you would have been roughly in the area between Northampton, Bristol and Birmingham 15-20 minutes into your flight. (see map)
map1.png

The red X is where I think you would be after 15-20 minutes flying.

Here is a map of the official Ryanair route from Stansted to Shannon:
official route ryanair.png

here is a map including the suggested Waypoints I found on an aviation forum:
suggested flightpath.png

here are the links to my sources::

map: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&channel=np&q=stansted&ie=UTF-8&ei=L3HNUp2RJ6b07AaFmYCADQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg
Edit you will have to manually add destinations as I cant seem to link the map, the destinations/waypoints are. (1) London Stansted Airport, (2) Compton Berkshire, (3) Brecon Wales, (4) Strumble head Wales and (5) Shannon Airport Éire.

Ryanair Routes: Stansted: Destination map

Suggested flight path taken from: Stansted To Shannon Flight Path — Tech Ops Forum | Airliners.net

Additional info: I believe that the Aircraft type was a Boeing 737-800:
About Us - Ryanair Fleet

Boeing 737 Next Generation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice work Han, thanks. It happened in 2010, i forget the month, but i think it was July, but it certainly was summer. I had three flights that year, but i only saw something the one time. It was my first UFO experience outside of Ireland and it was the last one, i have had. I've had 3 UFO experiences in total. My first one was when i was a teenager. I have some prove this event happened. It was documented in the UK as the Cosford event, but my experience happened in Ireland. The great thing is though another 100 Irish eyewitnesses reported seeing things that day. There is a report about it online.

Eyewitness account from two policemen (they are called Garda Irish version here) claim they saw a craft the night, same day, i had my experience with friends (this happened close to my parents home)

What i witnessed was different it involved beams of lights flying across the sky, at very fast speeds ( The beams of light were red and green in colour and there was a blue ball light also following) it happened during the evening and the objects caused an event, I'll never forget it. The sky was pulsating like it was undergoing a shock of some sort. Its really hard to describe. It was flashing, like the flash you seen when lighting goes off, but still different, and it was constant flashing and pulsating. It went away eventually, few minutes after all the objects left.

I only found about the Cosford Ufo incident in the last 5 years or so. When i had this experience, i just viewed this experience as being very strange and out of place. For me it wasn't man made what i saw. But, i have no prove it was Alien either and to be honest when i was teenager i don't think UFO or Alien crossed my mind. Gone off topic, but i thought you might be interested?

Last edited:
Hi kieran I have had a quick search on Google for U.K reports/sightings and July 2010 has a lot of reports, if you could remember or find out the exact date of your flight it would make finding a "matching" or similar report a lot easier, but don't worry if you can't.
Best wishes

Hi kieran I have had a quick search on Google for U.K reports/sightings and July 2010 has a lot of reports, if you could remember or find out the exact date of your flight it would make finding a "matching" or similar report a lot easier, but don't worry if you can't.
Best wishes

Han, i got the year wrong it was 2009, not 2010 I got the month right it was July 10th. The mistake i can only think was because of me haven taken a similar two flights in 2010, as well.

I would have had no record of the flight only for this thread from the past that I'll post shortly. The booking for the flight was done by my friend.

For some reason there is large gap in posts from me from Jan 2009 to July 2009 ( i think i left the forums for a while)

But here is the thread from 2009 were i describe the events.

Orange spheres in UK | The Paracast Community Forums

I saw 5 UFO's according to this and it was only three days after the sighting, so its probably more accurate. I remember 6, though.

I described them as Mushroom shaped, in this thread. I still think the objects resembled old industrial chimney's, but they kind of looked like the shape of mushrooms too. My memory of what the objects looked like is beginning to fade from memory, if i am being truly honest, its been a while since it happened and don't think about this experience., every day. I just remember the experience and what happened. Hope this helps?

Here is a similar report from the Birmingham area and only 3 day before yours:

"Looking to the south she was amazed by the sight of nine orange glowing orbs of light that appeared to be travelling in a line across the sky, heading in an easterly direction"*

*BUFOG Investigated UFO Reports: 06/07/2009 - Coleshill - Orange Orbs Sighting

And this is also similar:
ufo report.png
source: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/16850/ufo_report_2009.pdf

I will attempt to find more when time permits

I dunno. Reflection in the window etc., might make sense. But, what compels me to believe that the pilot saw an actual physical object, is the fact that he went so far as to make an official report about it. He was/is that certain he saw something.

Yeah, it's really putting your reputation on the line when you report something like this. He must have been pretty damn sure that it was there.

Back