• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFOs and Nukes

Free episodes:

sorry to be 'picky', but in english, we only use the indefinite article 'an' when the following word begins with either a vowel or a silent 'h' - we never use it before the word 'wrong' (and by silent 'h', i mean in words such as ... hotel - as opposed to words such as ... hypocrite - get it?)

Well, I edited "imbecilic" to "wrong" and forgot to change the "an" to "a". Thank you so much for kindly pointing out my grevious error.

You must be so busy correcting everyone's grammar here, or was it just mine you felt compelled to correct, for some reason? Hmm , I just searched about and I can't find a previous instance of your concern for grammatical niceties :)

I'd like to reply in exactly the same helpful, friendly spirit, so, sorry to be "picky", but in English (not "english") we use capital letters to denote a proper noun. For instance, if your name was Mr. Silly-Pratt I would use capitals, and not call you mr. silly-pratt - get it?

You must be so busy correcting everyone's grammar here, or was it just mine you felt compelled to correct, for some reason? Hmm , I just searched about and I can't find a previous instance of your concern for grammatical niceties

I think the reason he pointed it out, Helix, is because of your concern as posted in #139: '"Hi Garath" ? Again?' which you apparently felt 'compelled to correct, for some reason.' Kind of a sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander thing. Why would you feel compelled to correct the spelling of "Gareth's" name? Let Gareth do that, if he wants to.

So for you to call out this guy for correcting what you obiously feel is a trivial matter when you did exactly the same thing not too far back would indicate a bit of hypocrisy. But, then, from reading through this exchange it seems clear argumentum ad hominem is part of your style. You're not really terribly interested in the issues. You just want to call names and be disruptive.

Hardly something to get worked up about.

And yes I do thank Roberts posts most of the time. When someone is posting decent chunks of text from their book I think it deserves a 'thanks' regardless of what the subject matter is.

Thanks for explaining that, Schuyler. Of course you are so right, using an instead of a once is a much worse gaff than continually calling someone by the wrong name, and of course it also proves that I am a hypocrite. :confused:

It was an observation about the accuracy of R H's work (he's the one claiming to be an authority who should be taken seriously), and no, I'm not particularily interested in this issue, however I do find interesting the uncritical fawning adulation that seems to be the norm here.

re the ad hominem comments - Mr Hastings has insulted me more than once, and does the same to anyone who disagrees with him, rather than present evidence or answer direct questions. Feel free to call him out. Wouldn't want you to look a hypocrite.

Well, I'll tell ya, Helix. You are known by the quality of your posts, including how you treat people here. If you post some quality stuff here, I'm sure you will be appropriately rewarded.

You mean, if I agree with you, I'll be somehow rewarded by you being nicer to me?
Why would I want to post anything on this site that I wanted an answer for, and why would I bother trying to persuade any of you? From what I see either would be a waste of effort. So I visit infrequently just to see what the lastest loony post is.

Hilarious that someone had to thank you for that "useful post".

So for you to call out this guy for correcting what you obiously feel is a trivial matter when you did exactly the same thing not too far back would indicate a bit of hypocrisy. But, then, from reading through this exchange it seems clear argumentum ad hominem is part of your style. You're not really terribly interested in the issues. You just want to call names and be disruptive.

my thoughts exactly, the post seemed to have no other value other than to call names and be disruptive........

and he then goes on to say hes not interested in asking questions here.......

which leaves me with the inevitable conclusion his/her primary purpose here is to simply call names and be disruptive.

Helix,

Schuyler is perhaps our most insightful and intelligent forum member, and his contributions here are deeply respected and valued. Good luck trying to lock horns with him, it's a fool's errand at best.

dB

I see David Biedney is an Administrator.
Within 11 minutes of me posting he is is on advising me not to "lock horns" with someone.
Still waiting for him to comment/act on Garaaaaaaath's language in the Jeff Woolwine thread.

Different laws for different people huh?
Cosy little club you have here.

Within 11 minutes of me posting he is is on advising me not to "lock horns" with someone.
Still waiting for him to comment/act on Garaaaaaaath's language in the Jeff Woolwine thread.

What?

He didnt advise you not to do anything. He simply warned you that you might not do to well locking horns with schuyler.

And implying that he got some bat signal or something and got here as quick as he could to defend someone (11mins to be precise) is complete and utter bullshit.

And implying that he got some bat signal or something and got here as quick as he could to defend someone (11mins to be precise) is complete and utter bullshit.

2 1/2 hours now. Doesn't need a bat signal.

Ok, I'll help him out then, as he seems to be reading this thread.

The UFO Forum -
The Jeff Woolwine thread -
Gareth - Yesterday, 11:37 PM - "can you go fuck yourself? you annoying little twat."

Forum Rules -
"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, ......."

Oh my. Surely you could spell his name right Helix?

tasty

and youre right BTW: Swearing in a forum is stupid. However please point out a case where David has reprimanded someone for swearing? Do this so you can demonstrate your "different laws for different people" theory.

Hark! What's that noise? Sounds remarkably like someone scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The misspelt name -
It's deliberate. Obviously no one, especially you, cares about names or accuracy here. Eg mine is TheHelix (NGC 7293, a specific nebula in Aquarious).

Your language -
So the rules don't get enforced here? Saying fuck off is acceptable, even unremarkable? Pardon me for not knowing that. Although I bet if I had said it something would have happened and people would have remarked on it within minutes.

Although I bet if I had said it something would have happened and people would have remarked on it within minutes.

I honestly do doubt that.

As far as names, yeah I do care about accuracy. But Im not going to complain about someone misspelling my name.

Well, look at it this way. When you move to a new area in Great Britain one of the first things you do is find a Pub of your liking. It’s probably called “The Nag’s Head,” in my experience, but in any case, the idea is that every day after work you stop in for a pint at the Pub. It’s nice if someone introduces you, but not that necessary. You shoot the breeze with everyone there, then go home and attend to the family. After awhile you get to know everyone and they get to know you. Some people have been there a good long while, some are there nearly all day long, and some are new. You welcome them just as you were welcomed. Generally you have a good time.

There are all sorts of conversations in the Pub. Some are dead serious; some are not. Some are light-hearted, and some can get a little heated. Once in awhile someone will call someone else a name and conversation can get a little loud, but you know nobody is going to call you into the alley for a fist-fight and all will be forgiven very quickly.

Think of The Paracast as a bar. There are lots of conversations going on at any one time. Some are serious; some aren’t. Some people provide some pretty good information; some never do. Sometimes people over-react to posts or misunderstand intent. (Guilty!) Sometimes people need a little consoling, but the main issue is that this bar is concerned with the paranormal, UFOs, that sort of thing. Everyone has an interest at some level or another. Here are pictures of UFOs all over the walls. We know, generally speaking, which ones are fake. We point to a Billy Meier Ray Gun and laugh. Most of us think Lazar, Lear, Burisch, Doty, and even Moore are full of shit. We don’t ‘fawn’ over anyone, but it’s fair to say we’ll give everyone a chance to tell their story. Sometimes someone new will come in and say, “Have you heard of Greer?” and we probably are not all that nice when we point out that’s crap, too. So I’ll call stillborn stillborn and he either says, “You’re right” or “Fuck you” and it doesn’t really matter. Someone can point out a logical fallacy someone else has made and they will either get it, or they won’t; and at a certain point you stop trying. But basically if you yell at someone you can expect to get yelled at back. That’s fair.

Our bartenders, Gene and David are pretty cool. We’ve all learned what it takes to push their buttons and piss them off, and once we learned how to do that, we normally don’t. It’s their bar, after all. Once in awhile we get someone who is pretty pedantic, so we roll our eyes and try to bring them along. The thing is, if someone actually contributes to the discussion, they’re much more likely to be tolerated than if they do not. If you actually do something useful, you get a little slack.

Now, in the life of any bar, once in awhile you get a newbie in who thinks he or she can set everyone straight. A few days ago we had someone show up who decided she was going to teach us all peace and light as the way to enlighten the world and bring harmony to all mankind. Some of us may have resonated to this message. It’s my sense that most did not, so Bzzt! Thanks for playing. Just let the thread sink.

Now we have a new guy who just pushed open the doors of the bar, and from the first moment he arrived, it was obvious he had a chip on his shoulder and a swagger in his step: thehelix. In fact, he JUST arrived a few days ago (January, 2009), though he may have been lurking for awhile, and, of course, he is an instant expert on all subjects, from UFOs to English. But there’s something else. He followed Hastings (relatively new himself, I believe) into the bar just to cause trouble. He’s posted about 20 posts and EVERY ONE of them has been critical of some person in the bar. He’s been cruising around the threads picking on people randomly and accusing them (and everyone else) of ‘fuzzy thinking.’ Not only that, thehelix has decided to criticize the bar itself. Now obviously, thehelix must be one of them ‘college graduates’ who knows everything about reality and is capable of discerning mysticism from reality just by reading a sentence or two. He's of the 'rationalist/reductionist' school of thinking. If he can't see it in front of his eyes then, dad gum, it does not exist, period, and anyone else who thinks differently is stupid. He's one of these Amazing Randi guys who is going to be very surprised someday when he wakes up dead. That would be fun to see.

It must be obvious by now that thehelix doesn’t have any manners. He also has made no contributions. His posts are pedantic at best. He’ll pick on someone’s spelling, then react negatively when someone does the same to him. In that respect he’s a lot like Michael Horn in his argumentive style; he doesn’t get it and he’s just flinging shit. Not once has thehelix said, “I disagree, and this is why.’ Oh, he pointed us to another bar alright. All we have to do is go over there and partake of the wisdom he insists is there. I would suggest that thehelix is being intentionally disruptive. Because of that, I suggest our bartenders show him the door. Until they do I will be putting thehelix on ‘ignore.’ I suggest you do that, too. At that point his posts will be like masturbation. It may make him feel good, but to everyone else he just looks silly. But I think he likes that anyway.

Schuyler,

As usual, you are a voice of supreme reason on these forums. Helix has shown him/herself to be nothing more than a troll, and has been banned.

dB

Fimble/helix obviously has some sort of personal problem. He needs help, but not from here. You're persona non gratis here, kid. So bugger off. G'Day!

Back