• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFO Hunters - Renew the Series?

Should UFO Hunters be renewed for a fourth season?

• Yes

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 53.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobheck

Disco still sucks.
Should the History Channel renew the UFO Hunters show for a fourth season?

UFO's are the reason I ever got interested in anything paranormal. So, having a current show dedicated to the phenomenon is very important to me.

But, after what I see as a complete meltdown of this show last season (3) I am trying to decide whether I actually want it back on or not.

Now, for those of you that want to know what I mean about a meltdown, I believe that there are other threads earlier that discuss this stuff. But, if you want I will post some here. However, the purpose of this thread is not to actually bash the show, but a serious discussion of whether it should be renewed.

I guess what I am fighting with is if it is better to have a current show on about UFO's, just so SOMETHING is on. Or, not have anything on unless it is of high quality.

Interesting, I see a parallel here. With Basset and the X-Conference stuff -- there are those that argue that overall the X-Conference stuff is good because it gets 'Exposure' for the UFO topic. While others (I tend to be in this camp) say it is bad because of all the wacko stuff that comes with the grains of good.

I feel we are at that point with UFO Hunters. Some of the assertions and conclusions that were made in some shows in season 3 were preposterous (only ONE answer - time travel.....we SAW the PICTURES of insides of the Dulce base...blah blah)

Thoughts?

Of course the show sucks and is bad for the subject. But then again sometimes bad coverage is better than no coverage at all.

I'd lean toward the side of axing the show if it isn't doing a good job of maintaining some kind of positive exposure. We axed a show we filmed for a year where we presented a paranormal theme of a team going into haunted locations. People loved the show but we weren't happy with the fallacies being presented. Second season was all about implementing genuine scientific techniques to highlight the what modern groups were perpetuating. People didn't like the second season concept because they wanted to see "ghosts" rather than an informative TV series that exposed the bunk. We axed it on the spot and moved on.

It's better to kill a project than let it become a Police Academy franchise.

Voted no. The clear goal of each show seems to be entertainment, which isn't necessarily a problem, but if that's all you have to offer on an obscure subject, then you're not accomplishing anything. I'd like to believe the producers and the creators of the show mean well, but in my opinion they're going about bringing the UFO topic into the limelight the wrong way. They seem to think that the more far out the cases, the more astronomical the claims are, the better the publicity will be. Sure, but the wrong kind.

I voted yes. Why? Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.

Yes, it's entertainment. Yes the cases that they choose aren't always the greatest. No, their version of the scientific method isn't always credible, nor are their conclusions generally the same as any that I would make.

However; if the series could go the way of UFO mythbusting, or taking a tack towards some legitimate research, I could definitely get on board. And that is a direction I would like to see it go. I wonder if some legitimate researchers would actually help point them in a good direction.

I voted no. I'm tired of bad television in any form ( I hardly watch the darn thing anymore). And I am really tired of bad shows about UFO's. The first couple of seasons were not too bad. The 3rd season really sucked. I say spare us and let's find a better way to educate the great unwashed. Uhhhhh of course in a entertaining fashion... is American Idiot on tonight?

Well, for what it is worth, probably not much, I've been pissed at the tube since they axed "The Sarah Connor Chronicles." Damn it to hell, that was one show I watched without fail. Actually I think that series was MUCH better than the last two Terminator flicks. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED when John went thru time!!:mad: Again, for what it is worth.

Decker

Well, for what it is worth, probably not much, I've been pissed at the tube since they axed "The Sarah Connor Chronicles." Damn it to hell, that was one show I watched without fail. Actually I think that series was MUCH better than the last two Terminator flicks. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED when John went thru time!!:mad: Again, for what it is worth.

Decker
Fox TV hasn't always treated science fiction well. Remember "Firefly"? By the way, star Nathan Fillion has found a home on ABC's Castle, and I expect that show is a keeper.

But I do like Fringe, particularly when they brought Leonard Nimoy on during the closing portion of the season closer.

Fox TV hasn't always treated science fiction well. Remember "Firefly"? By the way, star Nathan Fillion has found a home on ABC's Castle, and I expect that show is a keeper.

But I do like Fringe, particularly when they brought Leonard Nimoy on during the closing portion of the season closer.

Yes Gene, you are right. Fox has treated the SF genre badly. Firefly was a great series. I also watch Fringe but IMHO it is a somewhat pale imitation of X Files. I do not think the writing is as sparkling as X Files was. And I really am pissed about Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Decker
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I voted no. Gave up on the show a long ago.

I'm a Fringe fan too. Cool show..much different than X-Files but I can see the correlations.

For many reasons, the show sucks. It's credulous to the extreme.

But it is a dream job. Consider. You're interested in the topic. History Channel flies you all over the world to some of the best hot spots that exist. You get to talk to lots of witnesses, believers, etc.

And they pay you for this. I voted No, but I'd take the job in a second.

I thought the first series of UFO hunters was the best. It seemed to get out some cases that the mainsaty of people didnt know about. Second series was O....K.....A.....Y.... But a little "over the top" with its sensationalism and "Oh my God's..!!!" at almost every turn.
I havent seen Series 3. Welcome to Australia. We might get it here in a couple of years. For the most part I think if they stay a bit on the "straight and narrow" many more serious researchers wouldnt have a problem, but hey - that isnt showbiz is it kids? ::)

I'm all for it, I don't always agree with the direction of the show nor the topics. However it helps bring awareness and has helped put more eyes up in the sky. Until someone here can do better and get the networks to buy into it... this will suffice.;)

I'm all for it, I don't always agree with the direction of the show nor the topics. However it helps bring awareness and has helped put more eyes up in the sky. Until someone here can do better and get the networks to buy into it... this will suffice.;)

7 String, I take it you are on the side that says that Bassett and the X-Conference stuff is for the good, overall, then?

7 String, I take it you are on the side that says that Bassett and the X-Conference stuff is for the good, overall, then?

Bob, lol no kind sir your assumption is wrong, not a fan of Bassett or the x-conference. I take the UFO hunters for what it is. I know that Bill Birnes is a wealth of knowledge in the field and I personally have great respect for him. Bassett is a douche bag and claims to "know" the answers.

~A

Bob, lol no kind sir your assumption is wrong, not a fan of Bassett or the x-conference. I take the UFO hunters for what it is. I know that Bill Birnes is a wealth of knowledge in the field and I personally have great respect for him. Bassett is a douche bag and claims to "know" the answers.

~A

Thanks 7.

BTW, it really was a serious question, not a smart-aleck one. I have an earlier post where I said I see a parallel to the UFO Hunters show and the x-conference regarding the reason people still want it on the air. You have proven that not to be true in all cases.

Again, thanks for answering!

Thanks 7.

BTW, it really was a serious question, not a smart-aleck one. I have an earlier post where I said I see a parallel to the UFO Hunters show and the x-conference regarding the reason people still want it on the air. You have proven that not to be true in all cases.

Again, thanks for answering!

Bob, that's cool man. To be honest with you I wasn't sure if I was being set up for a beating or not. The UFO hunters and the x con seem to be hot button topics here.:D

Again I just want to emphasize my respect for Bill Birnes, he goes back much further than the UFO hunters and has a lot of good things to contribute in this field. He may need to be reeled in sometimes, but never discounted. Bassett and x con,,,, 6 pack of guinness, a johnny boat and some cement shoes......

~A

Again I just want to emphasize my respect for Bill Birnes, he goes back much further than the UFO hunters and has a lot of good things to contribute in this field. He may need to be reeled in sometimes, but never discounted.
~A

I first met Bill when Vicki and I interviewed him on "The Day After Roswell." As I got to know Bill, I often told him I respected his intellect, and as he learned more and more about the field, his grasp of it. But, something I said in my goodbye paper apparently rubbed Bill the wrong way. I said word to the effect of, Bill was an academic as opposed to myself being an investigator. I looked at the topic with a very critical eye, where as Bill was willing to, somewhat, give everyone a pass. Opposing points of view.

Decker
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Back