• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Tonight on DMR ...

About EVP's Don, I have listened to the supposed evidence for EVP's for years and years.

Thought I'd add my 2 cents for what it's worth on the subject.

Some things i never hear brought up with all these ghost hunters about EVP's if they exist are the inherent problems with the environments and the devices themselves to prove the existence of EVP's.

Some of those portable digital recorders have very noisy audio circuits and terrible RF rejection. All sort of signals can creep into the recording circuit. Throw in audio normalization (hardware or software limiters and compressors) and you have a recipe for a disaster.
Simple ambient noise can be distorted into odd sounds, stray radio signals heard as audible responses.

Taking 6 - 8 recorders to a location proves nothing except there all receiving the same signals. Different makes and models may all have the same flawed OEM design.

The worst part of all is when the person trying to get you to "hear" the EVP has to tell you what is being said. If this is supposed to a "voice" then let me use my own language centers in my brain to interpret what i am hearing. This is just like being told what to listen for in supposed reverse human speech or the "satanic messages" or "backward masking" in rock music that was all the craze in the 1970's. If i can't understand it, it's probably not the English language.

The only way you could verify legitimate EVP's for me personally and a good start for an objective standard to be used to prove their existence is to try the following. Run the experiment with a recorder that was already tested to reject any stray radio frequency/ambient noise, then literally lock that recording device away from human interference in an Radio Frequency Anechoic Chamber that is in itself wrapped in a solid Faraday cage. If any audio is getting on the device after all these precautions, then that will get me interested in EVP's.

I am not saying that EVP's can't exist just that using such sloppy techniques to obtain them can only lead to ridicule and rejection of the supposed phenomenon.

For me the only proof I could accept would be (even then I'd look for trickery.) But, would be "Hi, this is Uncle Joe and I enjoyed the Braves game we went to back in 1969." "Remember the foul ball that bounced right past you?" Something specific and to the point.

What a great show, and ward, great comments from you as well.
I really can't comment to much on the whole EVP thing. I mean, it did definitely sound like voices, but I have no real knowledge on the technology or what might be involved to give a good opinion on how valid it is.
One thing though, She did say that the voices were answering her question, when actually it sounded like they were just saying random things.

Hoff where the heck you been man? Hope your alright and no more broken noses ;)
One of these Days you gotta keep that promise and call into DMR and chat with Don and Rich.

The random sound thing is what bugs me as well Hoff. I saw a EVP special with Darren Brown i think and he asked a very good question something like if there is a spirit present don't say anything in response to me.....and guess what.... there was a response..of course the "EVP expert" said those were the spirits messing with him, makes me think its just a poor noise circuit in most of those cheap hand held digital recorders.

Hey Ward

Yeah i've still been listening all this time, i just listen to the downloads now. Used to listen live on iphone but you have to pay about £70 a year to listen and it pisses me off that I would have to pay that when Don doesn't recieve any of it. On top of that I have moved jobs to London and am on the underground during a chunk of the show so have no reception.

I still love the show, and listen to every one although I have to say I have really become dissalusioned with the topic. So many of the great cases have been very convincingly debunked, and many of the key researchers exposed as frauds that to be honest with you, i am starting to think its all bunk.
Key examples of the above would be:
The Rendelshem Incident -Larry et al clearly showing they are embelishing things as time goes on, therefore giving a clear motive to making the whole thing up. Even Peter Robbins (who is a legend) sounded like he was doubting the whole thing on gregs show recently
Ted Philips - Basically exposed as someone who claims he has al these great photo's, then sends the paracast a picture of his dog, claiming that it was a big white beast (see previous Ted Philips thread which i can link at some point)
Phil Imbrogno -Enuff said (and to be honest i always thought he was a bullsh*tter, Biedny helped me come to that conclusion a long time ago)
David Jacobs - Enuff said
The list goes on....
Even with my own experience i think it was probably now just a black project of some sort.

I still of course have an interest in it all, and I love Don, Rich and all the other characters on the show so I still listen, but i don't listen to the paracast or anything like that now as I can't stand the adverts and I am just so tired of all the crap, lier's, hoaxers etc
I really think you should be a guest on soon Ward, you're always so interesting when you phone up, and that episode of Radiomisterioso where you were on for like the whole show was awesome.

Keep up the good work everyone

Thanks Hoff those were some really kind words. Don't give up on the subject buddy, we all go through phases where we get uninterested that's normal, and there are whack jobs in every field its just that this one, well has the MOST of then, so discernment and patience. The DL route is the best bet hate to see you have to pay money to stream, and the Paracast did some great shows recently with that whole Nancy Talbot- Robert fiasco, you just have to fast forward over the commercials :)

Well still hoping one night you might call into Dons show or heck even Gregs show which i think he's taking off of kill radio because of the internet problems and will be doing live braodcasts from his home.

anyways glad to hear from you Hoff, post more often if it strikes you, always appreciate your insights,

Ward

Thanks Blowfish, maybe some day, who knows. I can't imaging doing a nightly show like Don, the guy is Host, Producer, Engineer, web master and guest arranger, and he doesn't get a dime for any of it, talk about selfless.

I listen to the shows that appear on iTunes. I'm happy I have that option. I really like the Rich and Don shows - really interesting stuff. My attitude is like Hoffmeister's, but I have not lost interest at all.

Back