• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Time Traveller Caught on 1928 Charlie Chaplin Film?

Live at the Witch Trials

Skilled Investigator
I saw this on another Forum, thought that I would throw it onto the table and let you tear it apart ! :D

""Checkout this from the behind the scenes footage from the 1928 Charlie Chaplin movie ‘The Circus’. This short film is about a piece of footage that a fan named George Clarke found from behind the scenes in Charlie Chaplins film ‘The Circus’.

The scene shows a large woman dressed in black with a hat hiding most of her face, with what can only be described as a mobile phone device.""

Hmm, beats me. I doubt that there was but I'm left wondering if there were any sort of walkie-talkies or personal recording devices available in 1928, even in prototype form.

exceedingly odd, as who could she/he be talking to on a cell phone when there were no cell towers or satellites in 1928?

Someone at the digitizing studio had a sense of humour? but the shadows are very well done, and the figure fits in nicely with the background/foreground, doesn't it? so to me, this one is just plain weird:confused:

My five pence: What I see is an elderly lady with a gloved hand, holding a dark colured handkerchief* to her ear** she is talking to her self***. I think it is usefull to remember that it is hard to learn somethings but even harder to un-learn them, what I mean is that we are so used to mobile (cell) phones that when we look at this clip especially with "prior/leading" information it is hard not to see her using one, when there are much more mundane explanations.

* Any dark colour will show up as black in black and white film
** Possible earache.
*** Not uncommon particularly for the elderly.

Is he joking? There's nothing there.

No literally, I mean there's nothing there. The old lady isn't holding anything, she just has her hand up in a position typical of someone with arthritis. At the tail end of the shot, just as the scene begins to transition away you can see she's moving her empty hand away.

The harsh, black shadows from the stark lighting and poor quality of the film creates the illusion of an object being held. The position of the arm raised is only suggestive of a cel phone because that's what we associate that posture with NOW. It is at best a very lame optical illusion.

Time traveller? Not even close. Come on people, we have more important things to discuss here. Leave this crap for the Weekly World News crowd.

While there may be something to that, it looks like me with a broken tooth saying 'ahh fuck' over and over again on my way to the dentist, which actually happened.

Well, she holds some sort of 'device' I guess, as said, interesting. :) Even if it just a dark handkerchief, it seems out of place.

I always take my phone with me when I travel, but seldom use it. They are next to useless before WWII, since there were like three towers in the US. Back in the 20s, you have to be very careful where you plug in your charger, too, since a lot of wiring was DC and you'll let all the magic smoke out of your charger and maybe even your phone if you don't watch out.

Anyway, I'd say this lady was trying to call her dentist, from what can be seen in the video.

Altogether, a very strange bit of film, no matter what the explanation. The "woman" has a very strange body shape, extremely large feet, and walks with the gait of a man. Her facial feature also appear to me to be rather more male than female. She definitely seems to be holding something close the the side of her head and speaking into it. Bizarre.
George's film "The Knackery" is worth buying if you're a zombie fan.
Thanks for posting the clip.

Hmmm it's either a really really really old "brick" size mobile phone :rolleyes:

or.....

it's probably one of these....

http://hearingaidmuseum.com/gallery/Carbon/WesternElectric/info/westelect34a.htm

For those of you who can't be bothered to click the link...

"The Western Electric 34A carbon hearing aid was manufactured by the Western Electric Company in 1925. Western Electric marketed these early hearing aids under the "Audiphone" trade name.
It was one of the few 1-piece carbon hearing aids of the time. The unit measured 7¾" by 4" by 1½" and weighed just under 2 lbs. when fitted with batteries"

Thanks for the link, alzo. I had no idea devices like that existed back then (if you say "1928 electronics" I think "big boxes with vacuum tubes").

Altogether, a very strange bit of film, no matter what the explanation. The "woman" has a very strange body shape, extremely large feet, and walks with the gait of a man. Her facial feature also appear to me to be rather more male than female. She definitely seems to be holding something close the the side of her head and speaking into it. Bizarre.

Why is that bizarre? It's a movie. You know... hollywood... make-up... costumes... make-believe... Maybe they couldn't find an old woman so they dressed a man a drag. It's not like it's unheard of.

Why is that bizarre? It's a movie. You know... hollywood... make-up... costumes... make-believe... Maybe they couldn't find an old woman so they dressed a man a drag. It's not like it's unheard of.

Maybe in a few years people will be holding up Star Wars a true documentation for the existence of life in galaxies that are far, far, away, and captured on footage from long, long, ago.

Maybe in a few years people will be holding up Star Wars a true documentation for the existence of life in galaxies that are far, far, away, and captured on footage from long, long, ago.

No surprises, but Hoagland's all ready started running with that ball.

Google "Richard Hoagland C3-P0 Mars" :D

Back