• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Time Traveller Caught on 1928 Charlie Chaplin Film?

I have no problem with it being a hearing aid, based on the link to the audiphone pics at the hearing aid museum.

People with hearing aids talk to themselves a lot.

Hubby checks the volume on his by talking to himself. Why can't she be doing the same, especially since it looks like she is on her way to a movie premiere. Would you want to try checking your battery or volume in a movie theatre? You wouldn't, if you could make sure ahead of time, in bright light, whether or not adjustments were necessary.

If she is not going in to the theatre, it doesn't matter, either. Walking down the sidewalk and finding your battery is dying would cause lots of folks with a hearing aid to want to check it, and be annoyed if it seemed they were going to have to go home or deal with being deaf for the rest of their outing.

And I vote it is a woman. Not a man in drag. Take a look at some of the photos at ancestry.com :)

Hubby checks the volume on his by talking to himself. Why can't she be doing the same, especially since it looks like she is on her way to a movie premiere. Would you want to try checking your battery or volume in a movie theatre? You wouldn't, if you could make sure ahead of time, in bright light, whether or not adjustments were necessary.

Silent movies didn't have much dialogue to them...there would have been an accompanist or two playing some theme music, but the scripts were rather bland and read rather than heard. :)

I agree, silent movies didn't have sound, other than the musical background.

BUT: If you needed a hearing aid, you wouldn't give a damm whether the movie was silent or not, you would be very concerned about being on your own, unable to hear what is going on around you, unable to determine whether your surroundings were safe, all was well in your little corner.

People who are deaf function really well, considering all the things that hearing can do for you. Deaf folks have no early warning system, they don't know if there is a fire alarm going off, or someone is shooting a gun, or an explosion has happened. Seeing panic and disorder is many times more frightening when you cannot hear what is happening.

Just because the movie has no sound, doesn't mean the sound around a person is insignificant.

Have to forgive me. I'm "old" these days. Most of my music if from the 70's and early 80's. :) But, I love the expression on that pic. She has "character" and just seems to "know" somthing. Man, I tell ya it was just yesterday that I was cruising around to Foghat doing "Slow Ride" and then 'bam" Man, the years go by fast. :)

Foghat! Good choice of music, mate!!!:)

Back