• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Official Paracast Political Thread! — Part Two

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn’t it be a fitting end if the GOP were just waiting for the Trojan horse to become president, and then saddle him up & ride the rascal right out of the White House? I could only speculate that his followers would experience a degree of shock & awe not witnessed since the Nixon years.

Even though Pence would arrive at the presidency with views on anti-abortion, and creationism that may not please the majority, the GOP could easily handle him. He would simply take office a few years sooner than the GOP may have expected.
We could see a president pence in our near future, methinks.

If not mistaken, Breitbart’s Stephen Bannon along with Sarah Palin are being considered for positions in Trump’s administration. Talk about only the brightest minds leading America straight into the abyss.

Is it because I've been reading too much this evening? I'm pulling a blank. What do you mean, Gene? Can you clarify?
Candidate Trump made loads of outlandish claims and promises. Most of what he said was proven to be a lie.

But Trump as President may turn out to be a very different person, with far more reasonable ideas. In other words, he was the consummate salesman who said whatever he had to say to make the sale, regardless of whether he believed in it or not. In the spirit of someone selling cars perhaps? What is the "real" Trump like anyway, and is there any hope we'll soon see who he is beneath the brash public persona?

Or maybe that's a forlorn hope, but the article in the Washington Post does raise possibilities.

If not mistaken, Breitbart’s Stephen Bannon along with Sarah Palin are being considered for positions in Trump’s administration. Talk about only the brightest minds leading America straight into the abyss.
So choose the people with the lowest IQs?

I suppose it’s a strategy that has seemingly worked so far.

"Meanwhile, a person who spoke to the Trump campaign told POLITICO that the aides have also discussed tapping Sarah Palin for Interior secretary. Trump has said he’d like to put Palin in his cabinet, and Palin has made no secret of her interest."
"drill,baby,drill!!"

It's all just part of the shock & awe.
Donald Trump strongly considering Steve Bannon for chief of staff - CNNPolitics.com
This would be similar to having David Pecker of the National Enquirer as chief of staff.
David Pecker would actually be a better choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Candidate Trump made loads of outlandish claims and promises. Most of what he said was proven to be a lie.

But Trump as President may turn out to be a very different person, with far more reasonable ideas. In other words, he was the consummate salesman who said whatever he had to say to make the sale, regardless of whether he believed in it or not. In the spirit of someone selling cars perhaps? What is the "real" Trump like anyway, and is there any hope we'll soon see who he is beneath the brash public persona?

Or maybe that's a forlorn hope, but the article in the Washington Post does raise possibilities.
Thank you. Understood. I am realizing it's too early to tell - some good signals, some not so good. Consider that Paul Ryan is now saying they will privatize Medicare. :mad: Good God! Make money off the backs of the elderly. I am not quite there yet but very close so this comes close to the quick for me. As someone said: "MEDICARE IS FINE AS IS! Keep your greedy Republican hands off it. Privatize your own government health care plan if you want, but leave ours alone."

Lee Fang: "There’s a lot of evidence to suggest that rather than drain the political swamp in Washington, Donald Trump is perfectly merging in to the kind of orthodox Republican campaigns and political power establishment that have defined the Republican Party for decades." [Edit: Chris Christie has been replaced by Mike Pence as Transition Team Head.]

Lee Fang: Donald Trump Recruits Corporate Lobbyists to Select His Future Administration
LINK:
Lee Fang: Donald Trump Recruits Corporate Lobbyists to Select His Future Administration | Democracy Now!
TEXT: "Donald Trump may have run as an economic populist, but journalist Lee Fang examines how he has surrounded himself by corporate lobbyists. Fang reports in The Intercept that Trump’s transition team includes Michael Catanzaro, a lobbyist for Koch Industries and the Walt Disney Company; Eric Ueland, who previously lobbied for Goldman Sachs; and William Palatucci, whose lobbying firm represents Aetna and Verizon."

Big Money rules! Trump lied when he said he wasn't bought and paid for by Big Money.

Why are the Trump supporters silent on all this? Trump is breaking his campaign promises. He is showing himself to be very much the political rascal you thought you were throwing out. What say you?

Thank you. Understood. I am realizing it's too early to tell - some good signals, some not so good. Consider that Paul Ryan is now saying they will privatize Medicare. :mad: Good God! Make money off the backs of the elderly. I am not quite there yet but very close so this comes close to the quick for me. As someone said: "MEDICARE IS FINE AS IS! Keep your greedy Republican hands off it. Privatize your own government health care plan if you want, but leave ours alone."

Lee Fang: "There’s a lot of evidence to suggest that rather than drain the political swamp in Washington, Donald Trump is perfectly merging in to the kind of orthodox Republican campaigns and political power establishment that have defined the Republican Party for decades." [Edit: Chris Christie has been replaced by Mike Pence as Transition Team Head.]

Lee Fang: Donald Trump Recruits Corporate Lobbyists to Select His Future Administration
LINK:
Lee Fang: Donald Trump Recruits Corporate Lobbyists to Select His Future Administration | Democracy Now!
TEXT: "Donald Trump may have run as an economic populist, but journalist Lee Fang examines how he has surrounded himself by corporate lobbyists. Fang reports in The Intercept that Trump’s transition team includes Michael Catanzaro, a lobbyist for Koch Industries and the Walt Disney Company; Eric Ueland, who previously lobbied for Goldman Sachs; and William Palatucci, whose lobbying firm represents Aetna and Verizon."

Big Money rules! Trump lied when he said he wasn't bought and paid for by Big Money.
If true, this is an interesting turn of events because the Koch brothers wanted nothing to do with Trump earlier in his campaign because he was going to drain their swamp.

Powerful Koch brothers rebuff big donors' calls to back Trump for White House

Then you have this

Make No Mistake: The Koch Brothers Are Helping Donald Trump

Again I ask: who do you want to be?
Good question, Marduk. I saw some figures and just under 50% of the voting populace did not vote. In particular, Democrats did not show up to vote in large enough numbers to impact the outcome. There is enough blame to go around for Trump being elected. Apathy plays a large part. Our own fault. What comes is on all our heads.

If true, this is an interesting turn of events because the Koch brothers wanted nothing to do with Trump earlier in his campaign.
There was some sort of shift at one point - everyone distancing themselves, and then a falling into line. What happened? Some dealing had to be going on (of course). They've got the tiger by the tail - somehow. Speculating - a man like Trump has got skeletons in the closet. Don't you think? Just speculation but these guys are a tight crowd. Might they be threatening Trump with - something? Looks like there will be a deal with the Trump U civil suit. But how about the 13-year old rape case? It's a civil suit now, but that goes to criminal trial and Trump is majorly screwed (to use the vernacular). Could there be worse that he might be threatened with? Just wondering.

This is a Shakespearean drama - with a country being played. Dumb.

There was some sort of shift at one point - everyone distancing themselves, and then a falling into line. What happened? Some dealing had to be going on (of course). They've got the tiger by the tail - somehow. Speculating - a man like Trump has got skeletons in the closet. Don't you think? Just speculation but these guys are a tight crowd. Might they be threatening Trump with - something? Looks like there will be a deal with the Trump U civil suit. But how about the 13-year old rape case? It's a civil suit now, but that goes to criminal trial and Trump is majorly screwed (to use the vernacular). Could there be worse that he might be threatened with? Just wondering.

This is a Shakespearean drama - with a country being played. Dumb.

I think the rape case may have been dropped & the Trump U. case is being postponed until after he's taken office.

Not withstanding, his campaign promises are obviously falling short. There's the distinct possibility that "crooked Hillary" , may not face prosecution.

Edit: I was wrong about Trump U.

There may be some financial dealings lurking about that aren't being discussed as of yet.

I think the rape case may have been dropped & the Trump U. case is being postponed until after he's taken office.

Edit: I was wrong about Trump U.
Correct, on NPR this morning there was discussion about the Trump U case - Trump's lawyers have asked for a postponement until February - this was denied. There is also something about another judge being brought in as a mediator (from San Diego). But as of now, November 28th still on but Trump's lawyer wants to settle and the defendants are amenable. [Hope I am recalling this all correctly - I could have skewed some of it.]

S.R.L., do you have a link about the rape case? About it being dropped? Last I heard it was still on.

I understand why you say what you do. Not sure I 100% agree. The McCarthy Hearings in the late 40's into the 50's were a shameful spectacle. De Facto segregation. The lynchings of people of color in the South across decades (not to mention slavery itself). Plenty of 'overt' stuff to mar our 'standing'.

Is he evil? We don't know that. We know he's likely amoral. He's a narcisstic personality. He doesn't know what he is. It's all normal to him.

Evil is something else. I would need to see far more evidence of real malific intent to be willing to go that far. At this point.

I say that deliberately.

Look at his record on racism.

Look at his record on misogyny.

He is anti-human, anti-humane. Deliberately incents violence, egging it on, and offering free legal protection.

If that's not evil, I don't know what is.

I say that deliberately.

Look at his record on racism.

Look at his record on misogyny.

He is anti-human, anti-humane. Deliberately incents violence, egging it on, and offering free legal protection.

If that's not evil, I don't know what is.
He's not intelligent enough to be evil. He's clueless, in a way. That's not to say I don't agree that he is beyond just the occasional rudeness. But I think he's a bit more simple than actual evil.

In this video Thom Hartmann interviews Ralph Nader, who gives an excellent analysis of both Trump and why this has happened. I think I get it, in fact. Nader asserts that Trump is the single most scared man in the US right now - because he never expected to win. I agree with that - just going by Trump's body posture, and his expressions (he is aging by the day). He's a big impressive man physically - 6'2" and beefy - dwarfs most people around him - but he is looking abashed, 'small' - I mean that not as a belittlement but as a body posture comment. He's a deer in headlights right now. He's with the big boys now and they are likely more cut-throat than even he is. He doesn't understand how the sytem works.

I am recalling how the Clintons when they first came to Washington D.C. - how they were bashed by the 'Inside the Beltway' elites and press. The Clintons had no foothold in the Washington bureauocracy - and it seriously hampered them. I think Trump will be experiencing much the same - but I don't have any inside edge on any of this so accept it all as speculation. Of course.

Anyway, here's Ralph Nader's analysis - he really starts cooking a couple of minutes into the interview.

Ralph Nader, “This Could Be The Most Serious Event In History"
TEXT: "Published on Nov 9, 2016: Big Picture Interview: Ralph Nader, Breaking Through Power: It's Easier Than We Think. If Donald Trump's election represented anything - it was the complete and utter repudiation of the Clintonite Democratic establishment. Are we about to witness a permanent realignment of the parties?"

How Liberals Got It So Wrong
TEXT: "Published on Nov 9, 2016: Thom discusses Donald Trump’s shocking defeat of Hillary Clinton with the Nation’s Katrina Vanden Heuvel and asks her how liberals got it so wrong when the writing on the wall was everywhere to be seen. Thom also talks with former presidential candidate Ralph Nader about where progressives can go next under a President Trump and a Republican-controlled Congress."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back