• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Official Mayan Calendar Thread

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
All right, here's the official countdown.

Enjoy or whatever. :)

<script src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://widgets.tropicalpcsolutions.com/widgets/version2/mayan/mayan.xml&amp;up_Maya_Calendar=0&amp;synd=open&amp;w=260&amp;h=360&amp;title=Mayan+Calendar&amp;border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+%23999999&amp;output=js"></script>

The world will end yesterday.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I don't know what these Mayans are so worried about. Whenever my calender ends I just go buy another one.

I don't know what these Mayans are so worried about. Whenever my calender ends I just go buy another one.
Theirs is circular. They just have to give it a spin.
Based on what I've learned of the Mayan calendar system, it makes more symmetrical sense than the Gregorian calendar. 13 months, 28 days each and 1 day "out of time" which falls on July 25th by our system. July 26 is day 1 of month 1. It makes the first day of the year always fall on the same day of the week.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Theirs is circular. They just have to give it a spin.
Based on what I've learned of the Mayan calendar system, it makes more symmetrical sense than the Gregorian calendar. 13 months, 28 days each and 1 day "out of time" which falls on July 25th by our system. July 26 is day 1 of month 1. It makes the first day of the year always fall on the same day of the week.

It was a joke. Personally, I'm still waiting for a metric calendar.

That's another thing that drives me nuts... anyone with half a brain would ALSO know that the Mayans never, and still don't claim the end of the world or catastrophe as anything even remotely associated with the Mayan Calendar... it's all Hollywood, Americanized, cookie cutter BS.

The Mayans and the end of the world, yet another band wagon for the so called "expert" researchers to jump on and make some $$ from people that will buy, read and believe anything that's put in front of them.

One thing has always crossed my mind, once these so called expert researchers have made their money and, "if" the world is due to end soon, they are not going to have much time to spend their $$, are they?...

Weren't the Mayans very interested in astronomy - isn't there is a galactic alignment in 2012, maybe this is why the Mayan calendar ends at this date, stepping from one age to another. It could be as simple as that.

Maybe I am way off the mark.

Weren't the Mayans very interested in astronomy - isn't there is a galactic alignment in 2012, maybe this is why the Mayan calendar ends at this date, stepping from one age to another. It could be as simple as that.

Maybe I am way off the mark.

Yes, they were also very interested in cycles beyond just moving from one age to another. This is very evident simply in their ritual, and I am working off the top of my head hear and can't remember the specifics, where every certain period of time, they buried all their possessions and started fresh. In speaking to many Mayans while I was in Mexico, it seems logical that the calendar was astrological and like much of their culture, involved the cycles of the nature and planetary objects. At key times during these cycles they had rituals, ceremonies and practices to mark, revere and basically stay attune to these times, cycles and patterns and the mythology that surrounded them. This is what was told to me by those I spoke to anyway. Keep in mind, they weren't the actual wisemen/priests though, mostly just tour guides and villagers.

The basic belief of the Mayans involved the cycle of day to night and back through to day. And, of course the cycle of the planetary objects was another larger cycle. The night was a time for renewal and application while the day was when these things were brought to light, and the benefits/penalties of the nights activities were experienced. Surrounding that, were larger cycles where similar identifications and beliefs were patterned. Obviously, it's too much to go into in one post, but there is a lot of reasonable interpretations online that actually stem from what the Mayans actually believed, as told by Mayans themselves.

Who knows though, maybe all these guys speaking for the Mayans without really ever asking any actual Mayans on it are right... maybe the Mayans are just keeping this end of the world thing to themselves because we aren't worthy of the knowledge. Ha! I kid, I kid... :p

I've often wondered that if the calendar DOES in fact end at the exact cosmic alignment that it appears to possibly end at then perhaps the calendar simply is then meant to be read backwards. Then when you hit the "start" again, you simply reverse the order yet again. In other words, you cycle through the calendar just as the alignment would no doubt follow a cyclical pattern as well. Of course, that is nothing more than personal speculation and I don't really know TOO much about the whole cosmic alignment that they speak of... where the earth is in the exact galactic centre or whatever...

My wife had that Syfy channel promotional special on yesterday, the one with Richard Hoagland pontificating on his hyperdimensional BS.

I really do wish someone would put a ginormous dirty sock in that lying mouth of his. That or his "NASA Masonic conspiracy" would make him disappear without a trace.

Feel the love, Richard. Feel the love.

I did a Numerological study on 12, 21,2012, and came up with some pretty messed up stuff as possibly being the underlying world view come that day.

Ever hear of 11:11? There are many Mayans who actually think if forced to name the date it's Novemberish, 2011. That being said, none of them tout the end of the world... or is that Word. :p

Back