• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Official Mayan Calendar Thread

Free episodes:

Didn't small pox , famine and rebellion wipe out the Mayan civilisation and they were absorbed into neighbouring cultures..... maybe no one was left skilled enough to actually make a calender seems only a select few from royali familys were trained in these skills ....

The Mayan traditions along with many other first world cultures spoke of different ages, I think the Mayan are interpreted as saying the earth will move into the fifth age of ether possibly spirit. Their word apocalypto doesn't mean the end - it means the rebirth or beginning. I suppose the world will have to go through some transforming along the way. Others suggest there will be a galatic alignment with the earth forming an eclipse of the centre of our universe which some German scientists in the last few months are saying is black hole which coincidentally is in the region of orion's belt which again coincidentally is of interest to the ancient egytpians. Others suggest this a continuation of the book of revelations which began the heavy duty start of the transformation in 2000 when planets were supposed to be in alignment on the opposite side of sun with earth on the other side. Mmmm. The Mayan are pretty cool - they are credited with having worked out the transit of venus - which gives the means of fixing longitudinal lines that helped the europeans finally be seafarers around the world.

Although not seen as the same North American Indians they seem to share many similarities. Like their North AMerican counterparts the inca aztec and mayan civilisations or remnants were hit very hard with disease and different forms of technoloigcal advancements from other civilisations namely those of the wrong white crowd.

Didn't small pox , famine and rebellion wipe out the Mayan civilisation and they were absorbed into neighbouring cultures..... maybe no one was left skilled enough to actually make a calender seems only a select few from royali familys were trained in these skills ....

You mean nothing at all in the year 3000??! (For those of us who are around to see it, of course.)

Yep something will happen in December 2012. It's called "Christmas"!! ^_^

Edit: Recently there was a really good comment that somebody made in another forum (unrelated to this one.) I will share it here. In relation to the cycle of the Mayan calendar... (and also I am reminded that the Ancient Chinese view of time is also cyclical ~~ 12 x 4.) If I recall, this other poster said something along the lines of, "We throw out our calendars once a year."

Sounds like a VERY valid explanation to me! Perhaps the reason for the "end" of the calendar was either:
1: They ran out of space
2: They stepped out for coffee (or the equivalent thereof) and always MEANT to get back to it but never did.

Back