• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Mad as Hell at BP Oil Thread

Dnold7X

I need to talk to the aliens
:mad::mad:DISCUSS your venom and rants of justified rage towards the debockling incompetent Black Plague or BP disaster mess. What a case of blundering bafoons who call themselves experts and :mad:clearly are as stupid as a gnat or piece of dog doo that is trying to manage an international crisis.

These rat bastards should be charged with a heavy crime against humanity and environment.

angry-face.jpg

Here is an idea take each Big Oil crook who made the decision to use lose parts and unsafe procedures

then throw them into a huge swimming pool full of OIL AND TAR

let BP CEO swim around in mud to see how that rat bastard likes it that piece of crap might understand:mad::mad:

Well BP, you certainly know how to upstage KFC and take the pressure off the Double Down for oil jokes anyway.

problem, reaction, solution.

this spill will help shove thru the flimsy remains of the climate bill. i highly doubt it was an accident.

problem, reaction, solution.

this spill will help shove thru the flimsy remains of the climate bill. i highly doubt it was an accident.

I hope for the 11 that died that it was not planned.

While corporations can get away with cutting corners they will.

I would like a louder voice for the workers in other countries that are being exploited to produce cheap consumer goods and who do not have the hard fought for employee rights we have laboured for and are now being punished for having.

It is disgusting that jobs are being taken away and given to those that exploit human rights.

I see this as the dark side of globalism.

As for BP they must be held accountable - pennypinching and burying responsibility through layers of subcontraction must stop.

No doubt the board of directors are finding someone to fall on their sword for them and then they will screw the workers by taking their bonuses away, and then they will hike up fuel prices to make us pay for the mess while protecting their troughs of money.

Go get'em obama

In defence of BP, safety is their primary concern. Well, profits, then safety. Oh . . . . no it's - profits, image, then safety . . . . I think . . . I know still it's right up there somewhere.

problem, reaction, solution. this spill will help shove thru the flimsy remains of the climate bill. i highly doubt it was an accident.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would be so callous and stupid as to "create" this disaster. It is bad news for everyone involved from a business and political standpoint. Never automatically attribute to conspiracy what incompetence and greed can just as easily produce.

bp.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

I find it hard to believe that anyone would be so callous and stupid as to "create" this disaster. It is bad news for everyone involved from a business and political standpoint. Never automatically attribute to conspiracy what incompetence and greed can just as easily produce.

"Never attribute to malice what can be equally well explained by stupidity."

I know, maybe we could take some of these politicians, pundits, and political talk show hosts and stick their swelling heads in the pipe to stop the flow. That and a few thousand Sham-Wows should do the trick.

any other ideas?
Honestly, no. A whole bunch of people many times smarter than I have attempted to tackle this thing and failed. Anything I or any of the people on this forum can offer has either been brought up and tried/rejected or is just too absurd to consider. In short, it's a big shit sandwich and we are all gonna take a bite or two. Like it or not.

Oil companies are supposed to have spill-response plans prepared before they begin drilling in American offshore waters. Minerals Management Service safetyregulators are supposed to scrutinize those plans before signing off on them. But it's looking more and more like no one bothered to read BP's backup plan before the Deepwater Horizon rig began drilling 5,000 feet below the ocean's surface.
Here's the evidence:
1. BP mentions sea lions, seals, sea otters, walruses in its Oil Spill Response Plan for the Gulf of Mexico region. The geniuses who wrote the plan either don't know jack about wildlife, or they cribbed text out of a plan for the Arctic region.
2. BP's "plan" offers a Japanese home shopping site as the link to one of its "primary equipment providers for BP in the Gulf of Mexico Region [for] rapid deployment of spill response resources on a 24 hour, 7 days a week basis." Apparently the site didn't have a 100-ton underwater containment dome in stock -- it took rescue workers days to build one in an early attempt to stop the leak ... which failed.
3. The "plan" included no information about tracking sub-surface oil plumes from deepwater blowouts, although more oil may be spreading below the surface than at the top.
4. The "plan" includes no oceanic or meteorological data, despite the ocean-floor site in a hurricane-prone region.
5. The "plan" directs BP media spokespeople to never make "promises that property, ecology, or anything else will be restored to normal." Sounds like weaselly responsibility-dodging, although this may be more honest than the company intended.
6. The "plan" included no measures for preventing disease (viruses and bacteria) transmission to captured animals in rehab facilities. This was found to be a major risk after the Exxon Valdez spill, according to Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER), which analyzed the response plan and culled these absurd lapses in common sense.
7. The nearly 600 pages of the "plan" consist largely of lists, phone numbers and blank forms, according to PEER Board Member Rick Steiner, a marine professor and conservationist who tracked the Exxon Valdez spill.
"This response plan is not worth the paper it is written on," Steiner said in a prepared statement. "Incredibly, this voluminous document never once discusses how to stop a deep water blowout even though BP has significant deep water operations in the Gulf."
Even if BP tried to craft a decent plan, all such contingency plans are basically "fantasy documents," according to Rutgers sociologist Lee Clarke, who studies disasters. "These documents let everybody get through the day," he told Grist. "They provide comfort that risks are under control. The plans are based on assumptions that you can control the uncontrollable, and the truth is there's nothing much that can be done."
Good times, huh? If the giant bleeding gash in the earth has you bummed out, go check out some constructive responses.
(Big hat tip to PEER for its work.)

What is happening to the ocean and the shoreline is an absolute tragedy. However, as a vegan, I have to take note of the extensive damage done to the environment -- as well as the pain and suffering exacted on other animals -- by the meat and dairy industries in the U.S. as well as globally. I am not proselytizing, but this is something each of can control, in contrast to what is currently happening in the Gulf. Some claim that more than 80% of the destruction of the Amazon is for cattle rearing and support of the meat and dairy industries.

The thread should have been titled "Mad as Hell at BP and Obama".

According to the State Department, 17 countries haved offered assistance, including Canada , Mexico, South Korea, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland , Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Russia, Spain, Sweden, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and Vietnam.

BP, which has accepted some help from Norway, has been approached by Brazil and Saudi Arabia.

An EU spokesman has said, "We have the equipment, but at this point in time, we have not received any requests."

Remember what Rahm Emanuel said, "Never let a serious crisis go to waste. What I mean by that is it's an opportunity to do things you couldn't do before."

It's becoming clear that this crisis may help propel the Cap and Trade agenda. Either that or Obama won't lift the Jones Act (as Bush did during Katrina) because of union pressure.

One of the hundreds of similar stories finally coming to light ...

Dutch consul slams US foot-dragging on oil spill :

Three days after BP’s Deepwater Horizon drilling platform exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, the Netherlands offered to help. Ships could have set about clearing the oil using Dutch sweeping arms, but the US government didn’t take up the offer.

http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/dutch-consul-slams-us-foot-dragging-oil-spill

Back