• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Linda Cortile UFO Abduction Website

It seems rather excessive behavior to simply request one correction, that she really had edited "Witnessed." That could have been explained in a single paragraph, right?

I saw the same sort of behavior when I made a minor misstatement about her original article on Hopkins and Jacobs in a now-discontinued magazine, which was based on a someone's erroneous description of the contents. To her and her supporters, any error must be admitted with devout supplication. Give me a break!

wow simply WOW this person who sent it NEEDS help. It is my hope that you and Linda find peace some how in this mess.
I have read some of your website with my husband. I must say you present a compeling case for this poor woman. now here is my biggest concern. IF this woman is truly being taken by enitys unknown, What about her children? will they also face a lifetime of being taken by these enitys? and nothing can stop them? I have 3 children and would gladly give my life to save them from this fate. I gaze upon them in the inocence of youth, and wonder will Lindas children have the same as mine? or will they have to face something no child should face...quite chilling.
VICTORIA WATSON
RIKKI

has any one who faced this tried..
motin sesitve cameras?
sealed window? (as in bricked up)locking every door?
hireing private live in security?
having a UFO resarcher living nearby?
has an abduction been foiled? ever?

I've done some pretty extensive reading on the abduction phenomenon, watched plenty of documentaries and listened to several hundred interviews with abductees and researchers. This is what I know, I hope it answers some of your questions.

Cameras have been tried, in certain instances, they seem to work as nothing will happen while the cameras are running. In other instances, the cameras mysteriously shut themselves off, or the power fails or their batteries are drained.

I doubt sealing a window would do anyone much good since one of the strangest and most common pieces of this phenomenon are the ability of the supposed entities to pass through solid matter, such as ceilings, closed windows, doors and pretty much anything else that gets in their way. Often, the abductees themselves are floated through solid matter, some have even described the sensation as something like a vibration of their whole bodies, which I find very interesting considering the fact that solid matter is, in fact, not solid at all but made up of molecules vibrating at different speeds, which suggests that if we could figure out how to make our own molecules vibrate in certain ways, that we could theoretically pass through solid matter.

Some abductess have claimed to have foiled abduction attempts by utilizing a roommate or friend who stays at their house, and who they run too once they are able to break out of their paralysis. Others are unable to break said paralysis. I would imagine that hiring private live in security would be entirely too expensive for most people. I'm not going to address the UFO researcher question because I think this pretty much covers it, as I'm not sure what they could accomplish that private security couldn't.

Whether or not abductions have ever been foiled is a bit of controversy in the field, some have claimed to have success stopping abductions by invoking the names of certain religious deities, but the real question is: have they really? It's possible that they have, but given the sophistication of the entities doing the abductions, I would guess that their memories have been slightly altered or they are making it up entirely. Plus, who knows whether what they foiled was really an abduction or one of the far more terrestrial phenomenon that mimic some major facets of the abduction phenomenon. Ann Druffel wrote an interesting book called how to stop alien abductions, in which she presents 9 different ways that people under her care have supposedly been able to stop abductions in progress. I read the book and it's full of anecdotal evidence and speculation, she posits that the abducting entities are not aliens, but the Jinn of Islamic legends.

In any case, it's a fascinating subject and the more you get into it the more you realize that we have very little in the way of answers, lot's of case studies, but no solid evidence or answers. Debunkers will claim it's all sleep paralysis and while sleep paralysis does explain some of what's going on, sleep paralysis itself is a complete medical mystery, we don't know what causes it or why it happens, so it's pretty ridiculous in my opinion to explain one unexplained phenomenon with another unexplained phenomenon. That being said, I do have serious doubts that these entities that are performing abductions are extraterrestrial in nature, seems to me like it's a lot of jumping to conclusions with little or no evidence. The good news for you is, (as I saw you were worried about your children) if it hasn't happened to you or your husband, it probably won't ever happen to your children as abductions seem to run in family lines and it doesn't skip generations, which is an interesting phenomenon in and of itself, possibly pointing to some genetic disorder we don't yet understand as the cause, instead of beings from another planet. More speculation, but why not, the field is absolutely full of it already.

From what's been attempted it appears that overt attempts to video tape abductions are
predominantly countered, that being said, anomalies have been recorded.

Could you point us to some? The only videos of supposed abductions I'm aware of are the ones on Youtube, some of which are interesting, but most likely fake.

It's such a pity that virtually no one has chosen to look at the silly piffle that Sean has posted at his site. I am happy to discuss this with anyone who thinks I exaggerate the worthlessness of it. No one seems to bother to look.

A reasonable person can easily see that Sean's objections to detractors fall far short of the gist of the matter: that the Linda case is ridiculous and easily debunked. Sean's list of inaccuracies is so dumb that it reads like the work of a 7th grade girl describing why Justin Bieber is cuter than any other singer and listing the "evidence" why.

It's a shame that Gene has chosen to tacitly support such nonsense. Carol Rainey has a right to be outraged by the stupid and vapid attacks against her.

Best,

Lance

Honestly, there's just too much info there and I don't care that much. I read Hopkins book, it was, like every other abduction account, interesting. At the end of the day, there's 0 physical evidence, and all of the evidence they do have is the weakest form available either witness testimony or testimony given under hypnosis, which is immediately suspect in my opinion. Like I said, I'd go as far as to say that something strange happened to the woman, but what that something strange was is a whole different matter entirely and I'd find it far more likely that it was the result of as yet unidentified genetic disease or some kind of undiscovered and undiagnosed psychosis then it was aliens from some far away galaxy. At the end of the day it just doesn't matter to me that much, I'm content to listen to the strange stories and file them away under the "I just don't know" category. What I don't think is that the woman is hoaxing the story, what the hell for? A 30% share of the profit from a UFO abduction book that probably never sold more than 50,000 copies? Doesn't make much sense.

Hi Muadib,

Sean here.

The recorded anomalies I'm referring to are the ones discussed in Kay Wilson's articles.
The footage hasn't been made public.

Thanks

Sean

I read the article, all it said was she recorded some blue screens during her video tape experiments, nothing about anomalies or aliens that I could find. Maybe I missed it. Not to mention the fact that unless I'm mistaken that was done in 2010, if she's sitting on some kind of smoking gun evidence of alien abduction, I would have to ask why.

Muadib,

You have never had a crazy girlfriend, I suppose. :)

The reasons people fake these kinds of stories are widely varied. But the fact remains that they do. For instance, Kevin Randle managed to find about a half dozen liars and frauds who spun tales about Roswell for no discernible reason.

Lance

Lol I've had quite a few actually, however, I never had one crazy enough to make up a tale about aliens abducting her from her bedroom at night for no reason whatsoever. I'd be much more inclined to believe that this woman simply misinterpreted what happened to her than she made it up. Especially given the fact that she hasn't tried to profit from it any way that I can tell, besides maybe having made royalties from the book, which I imagine Hopkins would've published without her consent anyway.

I recommend following it up with Kay, she's in a better position to discuss the video tape anomalies than I am.

Thanks

Sean

Yeah I'm definitely not that interested, have to file this one under "believe it when I see it" If she had some kind of video taped evidence that would validate not only her story but the stories of thousands of other abductees, I think she would've released it by now. Just my opinion though.

"Incidentally, I encountered Lance Moody on a UFO site the other day (Kevin
Randle's). He was acting like an obnoxious 11-year-old, spewing contempt
and calling names in the manner of a schoolyard bully. I asked Kevin who he
was. Kevin characterized him as a "rabid disbeliever" whom he's almost
barred from the comments section because of his persistent rudeness. So
don't feel as if you're alone in this. The guy clearly has problems."

You must be proud of the reputation you've got Lance.

Hmmmm, I don't really know Lance that well, but he never struck me as obnoxious or a school yard bully, he's just a guy that doesn't believe in this stuff and he's entitled to that opinion. Though why someone like that would hang around a forum dedicated to the paranormal is a bit of a mystery to me.

At many believer sites, anything skeptical is seen as rabid disbelief. Believers bristle at skeptical thought because it challenges their religion. They tend to forget the rudeness they, themselves, display towards skeptics but I don't deny that I try to be blunt and to the point.

Whom was I calling names and what names did I use?

Lance

I'd agree with that. The way new age belief systems have glommed on to the whole UFO thing isn't doing anyone any favors. I'm a skeptic myself, but I'm also someone who has seen some strange things. However, I don't jump to conclusions the way true believers tend to do. I'm content to maintain my perch on the fence lol.

Whom was I calling names and what names did I use?

I didn't say you called anyone names so I hope this wasn't directed at me. The only thing I saw that could have been interpreted as rude was when you called someones type of thinking "dumbass" I edited this to add that I wasn't offended, I happen to agree that certain types of thinking that are prevalent in the UFO field are indeed pretty stupid.

As far as Carol goes, doesn't it bother you that she's Hopkins ex-wife? I mean there's mounds of evidence of people doing crazy shit to each other after a divorce. Allegations of abuse or molestation, cheating, and pretty much anything else you can think of. Automatically makes me a little bit suspicious of her testimony, just like I'd be suspicious of testimony from someone who's an obvious true believer, it has to work both ways.

If that was directed to me, then yes, Rainey's point of view should be suspect. But in this (rare) case, we have video evidence that builds a case (not completely and not definitively so far) that at least some of her claims against Hopkin's work are legitimate. I thought a few of her points in her released material were superfluous and unconvincing.

But you add this into the frankly silly and completely unsupported claims of Linda (some of which have been very nicely disproven) and you start to get a better picture.

And it isn't a picture of saucers over New York.

Lance

Yeah I was directing it to you, thanks for answering. Which claims that Linda made have been very nicely disproven, if you have time and don't mind answering. I'm curious. Thanks in advance.

Here's the thing though Sean, how does doing research help anyone? I'm not attacking you just asking a legitimate question. Personally I think that in order to prove some of the conjecture in what you're proposing, ie that these abductions are done by extraterrestrials who fly around in UFO's, a more proactive form of investigation needs to be employed. Now I'm not saying that I have all the answers, I certainly don't, but I do know one thing, we've had people researching this phenomenon since the 60's and it's gotten us absolutely nowhere. We can't prove anything, all we have are some stories and a lot of jumping to conclusions. For this to ever become a serious subject in the eyes of people like Lance, we're going to have to do a lot more than just compile witness testimony which is all that's being done outside of people who are researching so called implants, and even in that case they haven't been able to really provide any kind of smoking gun evidence that these implants don't come from terrestrial sources or aren't made from terrestrial material. I'm the first to admit that I don't know how to go about doing that, just pointing out why some people are so skeptical towards the whole subject.

Sean,

I am supportive of any effort to help people for whom belief in abductions has become a destructive force in their lives.

But, after careful consideration of the topic, I find myself in alignment with many other people (like Kevin Randle, for instance) who find no evidence of any reality to the claims of abductions by aliens. Instead, I believe along with many many other people, that the "phenomena" is actually a mental health issue.

I further suggest that the work of people like Hopkins and Jacobs, while very likely well-meaning, did not help but exasperated the plight of these people. Through their books, they codified a belief system and for, some fragile folks, a guided-tour further into delusion.

Hopkins wanted to help. But I think he did the opposite.

Lance

Mental health certainly does cover some of the aspects of the abduction phenomenon, but not all of it. Strange anomalous marks on people's bodies, and the fact that they're missing from their normal environment sometimes to the point of having the police involved (ala Travis Walton) isn't explained by any mental illness that I know of. Not to mention that Mack was a skeptic and world renowned psychologist, if it could simply be dismissed as a mental illness, why wouldn't he have done so? He would've been renowned in the field, hell he could've named the damn disease "Mack Syndrome" or something of the like and been immortalized in the medical profession and literature for all time if it was that simple, yet he specifically stated a number of times that the cases couldn't be explained by mental illness. My feeling is something else is going on here, maybe on top of some form of mental illness but maybe not. Some disease would go a long way in explaining the marks on people's bodies, but wouldn't explain them going missing.

Hi Muadib,

Thanks for your question.

In regards to Linda's case what primarily is helping her is having the numerous false attacks and claims made against her case
finally refuted in detail. Budd Hopkins wrote a rebuttal to Hansen, Stefula and Butler in the early 1990's but it was only done in
a very general way. It did not address the vast amount of false information being disseminated. To be publicly labelled a hoaxer
on false information is unfair and hurtful.

I sympathise with your question because more often than not what does UFO or Abduction research accomplish? Individuals
typing and arguing. What gets accomplished? Very little. The issue of proving these things as fact is naturally one of the aims
of the work, but beyond that, the primary purpose is to alleviate the suffering of those affected. To show to the world that Linda
is an honest, normal person, who had something extremely terrifying and unfair occur to her over her life is important. It's important
for the sake of history and it's important because her detractors depend on the ignorance of others to peddle their lies, Lance Moody's
reference to the Hansen/Stefula/Butler "Critique" is a prime example.

Linda's case, unfortunately, is too complicated, vast and primarily inaccessible for the public to understand. Much of the evidence is
not publicly released because it touches many lives, people who don't wish to have to justify themselves to half baked debunkers.
The nature of the beast is what is being worked with. Linda's case was the most tangible physically because it had numerous witnesses
and unique, but indirect, physical evidence. There is a distinct lack of retrievable physical tangibility in this phenomenon, nonetheless
researchers work with what is being presented. Honest skepticism is to be expected and people are free to think what they wish of
course. What is unpleasant however is when people go out of their way to come to you and spout ignorant, hurtful remarks. Remarks
which if you reply only serve to bring you down, case in point with me and Lance.

The reason I've put so much work into Linda's case, written the papers, built the website, is because I've followed the rabbit hole very
far down. The case is difficult to appraise on its surface because so much is required of the appraiser, specifically time, resources and
inclination. What is important for the public to know is, the case is significant.

Thanks

Sean

Interesting but I have some problems with this. In the case of not releasing information, why? If there's information out there that would prove Richard or Dan are actually real people, it should be released and fast. Whether they want their identities known by the general public is, to my mind, irrelevant at this point. If they didn't want to get involved they shouldn't have gotten involved. Hell from what i remember of the book, one of them is a kidnapper, felons often don't want their crimes to be known by the public but in our system that doesn't matter, you do the crime you deal with the consequences. It certainly would go a long way to disproving the debunkers. That's how I feel about it on one hand, however on the other hand, part of me understands. When you have people out there like that bag of shit and wind Phil Klass (I know he's dead, I'm talking about a certain type of person) who would go around and try to destroy people's private lives because of their interest in or admittance of a UFO sighting or abduction event, then I understand why people don't want to come forward, but I will say this: they aren't helping anyone but themselves by keeping their identities secret.

It's a shame that everything in our society has become so polarized. It irks the shit out of me. It's the problem with our political system and it's the problem with ufology. Either you're for it or against it, nobody wants to say "I don't know" but it's the most honest thing any of us can truly say when dealing with stuff like this. There's just too much that we don't know about ourselves and about how the universe works.

If you are leaving I am sorry. I do not know what to beleve about Lina. But this is a woman who CLEARLY had something unusual happen. aliens? extradimentional beings? night hag? or a real bad sleep disorder. It is my hope she receves help in some way and soon. my heart goes out to her becuse.. it could be me my kids any one next...

Back