• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The 'Box' is back: The Possession

Wow, thanks for all the links, now we can all be up to speed. As I mentioned I only recently became aware of it as i read the article on a recent entrainment weekly so I looked into it some more, and very shortly after that don ( I think) had mentioned it and then ward chimed in so I got hooked.

Truth be told though jason I was a little disappointed when the article mentioned the treatment of your book, one of those based on thingees, but being possession movies seem to be de rigueur nowadays, I suppose the fact that it is on the big screen is a victory of sorts. From what I read in the articles, the actual events are much more interesting but I suppose they don't really lend themselves to a plot driven movie perhaps ?

It's taken me a long time to accept that you cannot always make a watchable movie from a great story. Cos it's a visual media, you have to tell things in a certain way, keep the audience interested etc.

So sometimes IMO it's ok to do a 'Hollywood' of a story but sometimes not. Case in point being 'Fire in the Sky' about Travis Walton. Virtually everything that happened on the ship was Hollywood and not at all what Travis recounted.

I love the box story and if a good horror movie comes out of that story, even if it aint too accurate, then I can live with that.

Isn't it insane that the time I decide to post about the movie, Jason googles it and finds my post, then finds out on the very day the movie opens in Aberdeen, Scotland, he is going to be here? You can look at it as coincidence, which of course happens all the time, or you can know it was the box all along. I can tell you Jason Haxton thinks it's the box - and I agree!

It's taken me a long time to accept that you cannot always make a watchable movie from a great story. Cos it's a visual media, you have to tell things in a certain way, keep the audience interested etc.

So sometimes IMO it's ok to do a 'Hollywood' of a story but sometimes not. Case in point being 'Fire in the Sky' about Travis Walton. Virtually everything that happened on the ship was Hollywood and not at all what Travis recounted.

I love the box story and if a good horror movie comes out of that story, even if it aint too accurate, then I can live with that.

Isn't it insane that the time I decide to post about the movie, Jason googles it and finds my post, then finds out on the very day the movie opens in Aberdeen, Scotland, he is going to be here? You can look at it as coincidence, which of course happens all the time, or you can know it was the box all along. I can tell you Jason Haxton thinks it's the box - and I agree!

I was going to mention that as well but I didn't want to steal your thunder. Although I'm more inclined to credit it to coincidence if not synchronicity. I just eat that stuff up.

Hmmm...
YOU WROTE:
"Jeeez, I am so glad that box is in the States. Anywhere but here! Even though I know the box can reach right round the world! lol"

Not so fast there Goggs Mackay! Is it really all just odd coincidences? One in a million kind of things??? What is the chance of the Dibbuk Box owner being in Aberdeen, Scotland this next weekend August 31-September 2nd. IMPOSSIBLE - let's have a pint and catch "The Possession" movie there in Aberden on opening night - how about it - since you only know the smallest amount of the story - trust me. Bring your friends too! Seroiously.

Would enjoy meeting up with you - not a joke. I will have some free time between my Museum lectures. Ben and Aaron of MU can vouch for me. They are meeting me in Minneapolis on Oct. 21st. Shoot me a Private message and I will send you my email address. Cheers! From the keeper ofthe Dibbuk Box - Jason Haxton
I would like to meet with you guys and photographically document this meeting on Oct 21st. I am only an hour away from Minneapolis. Any chance we can make this happen?

@Pixel - I think that's a great opportunity you should definitely take. By his actions thus far I am sure Jason would be more than happy. I know for a fact the Mysterious Universe guys, Ben and Aaron put a shout out to their US listeners inviting them to come and meet.
So lucky you, you should be able to meet Jason and the guys from M.U. That's a date I'd like to have made. I'm sure Jason will check in and respond.

I would love a professional photographer to take some phots of Jason and myself but I suppose I'll make do like a tourist and get a stranger to use my very shitty digital camera.

Jason Haxton is the director of a medical museum I've read, which just happens to be a subject I am very interested in, having studied medical physics. But it's all the old brutal, nasty shit that I love and I could probably chat about that stuff all night, let alone the box. But I would never dream of making the box anything other than the star of the night - I just wont chance disrespecting the box - eat that my skeptical friends! I am making a conscious choice to try avoiding invoking the wrath of a spirit - something I'm not sure if I believe in. But I believe the box and so do others.
If nothing else it is the only paranormal story/happening ever to actually have given me a nightmare. Not a single horror movie etc has ever caused me to have a nightmare. But a few days after first hearing of the box I awoke suddenly and heard an old woman's vicious voice shouting 'It's a DIBBUK box' in my ear, she sounded like if she wanted to, she could make me life a misery, but all that she has done so far was to let me hear her bark. She has to date not tried to bite me and I put that down to my never saying out-loud that there is nothing to the story. I tried that once and she barked!
So I'll rather sit with the non-skeptical camp right now rather than join them. Others have gone against the box and regretted it! This is madness!

The “Box”

I have had mixed emotions about commenting on this thread concerning, what I will simply refer to the “box”. Until two years ago I had never before heard about this item. It was originally brought to my attention by one of my listeners and a user here on the Paracast, Dana Ward. Ward had told me some highly unusual information about the “box” which, since it was close to Halloween, I thought would make some good radio. If memory serves me, I had some brief email contact with Jason Haxton, to invite him on the show to discuss the “box”. If memory serves me, and remember this has been a couple of years, for whatever reason he declined, so I ended up locating and inviting Jason Offutt who reportedly also had some experiences with the “box”.

I will say that originally I did not totally accept the rumors I heard concerning the effects that the “box” had on people simply by talking about it.

Starting the night I hosted Offutt I had computer problems after mentioning the “box”. Very shortly afterwards, really just a couple of days I became deathly ill with a virus. Coincidence? I don’t know. Then after about two weeks getting over that I had nightly problems with my computer. For no reason my mic would stop transmitting my audio. The mic was fine, I still use it today. Then my sound card acted up, I replaced it with the best one on the marketplace … and it stopped working. Then my motherboard blew up, I replaced it and finally the entire damned computer stopped working with CyberstationUSA. And, ladies and gentlemen … this is NO BULLSHIT. For example, and this dogged me for a couple of months … they could receive my audio … but my music REFUSED to transmit. I kid you not …. they could receive every word, every syllable I transmitted … but my music would refuse to go through. Until they finally got me a new computer I was off the air for almost a year. Sure, the show continued, I had a lot of stuff in the can but no new broadcasts. Yea, I was a believer. But wait … there is more … just like the Ginzu Knives commercial.

You all know that almost 3 weeks ago my little cocker spaniel was bitten by a rattlesnake that entered my home, then the bastard snake disappeared. I found it the next day coiled right up next to my broadcast computer desk. You know I reached down to turn on the powerstrip there (controls my lights) and sitting there was that damned snake. Well, I was not bitten ..Thank God … and I killed the snake. Okay, here is what you don’t know.

The day before my little dog Jade was bitten, I was having on the show Pastor Robin Swope, The Paranormal Pastor. If you are familiar with Pastor Swope, you will know that for years he was been involved in paranormal matters. While we were catching up and discussing what we wanted to discuss on the show, like a dumbass I asked him if he was familiar with the “box” but I used the actual name of the item. I then proceeded to tell him about my experience of the item. While we were chatting he looked up the thing on the net and I told him some other things I had heard about the “box”. The next day, well I already said what occurred. Coincidence? Well I am sure the skeptics will say coincidence but not me. I am convinced the thing is very bad juju, and enough said about it. There was a thread on the DMR forum about the “box” and I deleted it. Take this for what it is worth but I want nothing to do with it. I don’t think I will even go see the movie. Like I said .. bad juju.

Decker

Is anyone here able to get me a Media or Comp Pass to the Paradigm Symposium? Gene, Chris, Don? anyone?

@Don - until the box perhaps you may have scoffed at such thing - I certainly did. The weird thing is that if you accept such a thing can exist (whatever spirit) then it opens up a whole can of worms. Sometimes it's easier not to go down that road.
Considering we are both watching the movie on Fri 31st together for the first time, Jason Haxton has gone to the bother of telling me he believes unless he/I chose to have continuing dealings about the box, in his experience it does not randomly jump to people for no reason.

If anything like that did happen, without joking, who you gonna call? How does one go about ridding oneself of the influence of such things? (I've had no old hag dreams so that's good).

goggsmackay you are in for a real treat if you can catch up with Jason. A gentlemen through and through, and Hollywood doesn't deserve a kind soul like him and his family.
That being said, I still hope the movie does well and gets people interested enough to check out Jason's book.

Whatever you can say or dare say about the object I'm absolutely convinced it's in the right hands now. Jason is the Loremaster of this item, the amount of information he's collected in the past 8 years and the theories around it are astounding.
Thankfully he is now the permanent caretaker.

I respect Don's decision to not even discuss this object and it's story. I had no idea Don have deleted that thread over on the DMR sub forum but for Don better off being safe.

Yeah, we've been in touch back and forth and for sure we are catching the movie and some drinks. I found this video of a programme that covers Jason (Haxton) and the box.

I am really looking forward to meeting Jason, especially having been following the story for a few years.
I am unsure - did you see the movie? Has it been released in the States? An extra weird coincidence is that the sole day he is in Aberdeen to meet me, is the day the movie is released here. His reasons for being here are unrelated to the box, so he could never have known googling the box would have led him to a box fan in the one city he was gonna be in, in a foreign country on the day the movie comes out.

Jason already told me he thinks there are no coincidences with the box, and considering I have been into it for years, I can't help wondering if this meet was pre-ordained?

I'll let you know how it goes on Friday Ward. Cheers.

(And on the subject of Don, isn't amazing a Vietnam veteran and former cop turned UFO investigator should choose to have nothing to do with the box? I really want to hear from any doubters on the subject but people have been really quiet. I genuinely think people are really scared of this box. It's not that I am not scared, but let's just say I intend to only ever give respect to the box for the duration of my life. If anything bad starts happening - I'll seek advice from a Rabbi or something.)

Pinhead_by_ScreamingDemons.jpg

"Did someone say BOX?"

Where is Posey? I can guarantee he is posting somwhere. There is no stopping that man on his quest to tell all about the 'nont's - and I am still not sure what on earth (or not ) they are supposed to be?

Back