• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The best Movie you've seen in the past year.

I really dig Body of Lies, I've seen that a few times. Also the more I watch Tropic Thunder the more I want to watch it again.

I also thought Role Models was funny. I really want to see the documentary about the band Anvil but it was only playing at a couple theaters in dc.

Thanks, I actually found it from reading Joan Didion's "Slouching Towards Bethlehem" (really cool collection of 60's essays by the way) and really like the visual impact.

Yeah, the images it portrays are really cool and the use of language "the centre cannot hold", "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensit" - kind of describes the UFO scene!!

Here is another great Yeats poem called "Long Legged Fly", which I always thought was about the extremely delicate and intense moments that bring out the purity of genius from people. I recall the first stanza being about the moment of military genius of Julias Casear, the second stanza being about the amazing power of Helen of Troy's unconscious beauty and the last one about Michael Angelo painting the Sistine Chapel. Yeats was amazing!!!

Long-legged Fly
That civilisation may not sink,
Its great battle lost,
Quiet the dog, tether the pony
To a distant post;
Our master Caesar is in the tent
Where the maps ate spread,
His eyes fixed upon nothing,
A hand under his head.

Like a long-legged fly upon the stream
His mind moves upon silence.

That the topless towers be burnt
And men recall that face,
Move most gently if move you must
In this lonely place.
She thinks, part woman, three parts a child,
That nobody looks; her feet
Practise a tinker shuffle
Picked up on a street.

Like a long-legged fly upon the stream
Her mind moves upon silence.

That girls at puberty may find
The first Adam in their thought,
Shut the door of the Pope's chapel,
Keep those children out.
There on that scaffolding reclines
Michael Angelo.
With no more sound than the mice make
His hand moves to and fro.

Like a long-leggedfly upon the stream
His mind moves upon silence.

In second place and I acknowledge it has many flaws, but "Knowing" struck a chord with me. Maybe it was just the use of Beethoven's portentous 7th Symphony. The ending is a love it or hate it thing...

The best has to be "Moon". Low-budget, British sci-fi homage to "2001" with Kevin Spacey as the voice of the Hal-like computer that this time wants to protect the lone inhabitant of a lunar mining outpost.

Don't remember which year I saw this film, but it was great...a bit weird, but great.

There's this big, scary head that floats around blasting whack-jobs and there's this trained killer with a gun who...well, here's the poster...

Attachments

• Paradoz.jpg
    Paradoz.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2
Bedazzled (1969)
Peter Cook and Dudley Moore

I think Cook is one of the funniest people formerly alive (and possibly dead).

I just saw "The Red Violin."

I thought it was a very well done film. One that makes the viewer stop and think, and at the end the viewer is still intrigued and asking questions. My kind of cinema.

I got three good one's in a row from Netflix a few weekends ago.
'Coraline' has some of the best stop-motion animation ever, and it's an entertaining tale to boot. Coraline (2009)
'Bad Boy Bubby' was one of the most memorably twisted films I've seen a while. Bad Boy Bubby (1993)
And 'Perfume:The Story Of A Murderer' was a surprisingly well crafted film on pretty much every level. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I got three good one's in a row from Netflix a few weekends ago.
'Coraline' has some of the best stop-motion animation ever, and it's an entertaining tale to boot. Coraline (2009)
'Bad Boy Bubby' was one of the most memorably twisted films I've seen a while. Bad Boy Bubby (1993)
And 'Perfume:The Story Of A Murderer' was a surprisingly well crafted film on pretty much every level. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Skunkape. Bad Boy Bubby was shot in my hometown. In the suburb of Port Adelaide to be exact.

Harry Potter was good but it wasnt the book and that makes die hard fans not like it.

District 9 was really good and i love how real they made everything seem. really violent but still really good.

Inglorious Basterds was Tarantino gold so yeah...

The Lovely Bones is the next one i want to see cause i love Mr. Jackson

Best films I've seen this year:

(1) Le Samourai - by Jean Pierre Melville. Alain Delon never looked better or sadder or cooler. Saw it a few years ago, and I finally caught up with it again. Absolutely bloody terrific film. Now one of my top 5 films of all time (what are the others?? Annie Hall, and 3 others possibly).

(2) A wee film by the name of "The Man From Earth" ... which I finally got to see. Its even got the tallest man in history in it: Tony Todd :D ... so you can't go wrong really.

(3) Any and all films by Hayao Miyazaki. He makes ALL Hollywood/Disney/Pixar films seem like (what they are really) ... childs play. Not a flamin wisecracking fish/shark thing that just happens to sound and talk like Will Smith in sight. Thank god. And thank god for totoros too :D

Just watched "From Hell" with Johnny Depp,

I got it for my wife who is fascinated with Jack the Ripper and I suspect dear Johnny.
Cant blame her he's brilliant. Great film, not a theory that I was familiar with but quite convincing. Prior to this I thought the idea of Walter Sickert being the perp was on the money. Like Roswell I guess we will never know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Sickert

Mark

Yes mine also had sub titles it was " Mongol" a terrific story & photography.

EVP

That's a great movie! For some reason I like movies that put historical and legendary figures into more human circumstances.

Back