• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

That's no 'little girl'...

PosturePal

Paranormal Novice
Since moving into an apartment a couple of years ago, I have seen, out of the corner of my eye, a girl standing in the doorway of our spare bedroom. The sightings occur off and on, and there has been no feeling of ill-will coming from anywhere in the apartment. Actually we've both (my wife and I) felt good vibes from the place, and have been quite happy there.

I've discussed the 'little girl' with my wife, who is far more attuned to 'ghosts' than I ever will be. Oddly though, she had never seen the girl, until a few weeks ago.

I was taking my customary heavy-duty comatose-like Saturday afternoon nap in our bedroom, and woke up because I heard my wife yell, "Oh, hell no, not in here!" I groggily asked her what was up. She said, "That's no 'little girl' you've been seeing. I came in the room and she was standing at the end of the bed looking at you. She's at least 17." We've been married nearly 15 years, so this sudden flare of jealousy, while somewhat flattering, was very uncommon. She hasn't talked about it since, and has said she won't. I don't know if that's all that happened, but it's all she's willing to say.

While open-minded about ghosts, and the paranormal in general, I'm the one in the house who is the last to really take it as fact. But this, I really have no choice but to take it as fact. My wife works 2nd shift, so I often will come home after work and take a nap so I can be up for a while after she gets home, and still have a chance of not being sleep-deprived the next day. Now, however, I must admit to some nervousness when I close the bedroom door to lay down, and have a few times woken up plain scared that I'm not alone in the apartment.

Just curious, Have you or your wife ever dabbled in anything considered paranormal? Do either of you have a family history of relatives who might have been involved with the paranormal? Do either of you participate in anything that calls for "emptying" of yourself like yoga or other eastern persuasions?
If you answer no to all of those questions the next area to investigate is the history of that apartment and what happened there.

Any of the things I have mentioned have been known to open doorways to the spirit world. Sometimes when a person is attempting to be emptied either though meditative or drug induced other things can fill that emptiness.Sometimes people come around these things and sometimes these things follow you.

In the case of my questions regarding tampering with paranormal things like spiritism and satanism/witchcraft or a family member who has done so in the past,this is like hanging a welcome sign up for certain entities. I believe in family curses and these come about because of those entities who for one reason or another have the open doors to come into.

If it is evil it will hate the light, not physical light but spiritual light.

Although I am probably biased in my opinions on what these things are I don't rule out other possibilities. I think in a large number of cases these things are misrepresenting what they are. You thought you seen a little girl and your wife saw an older girl, so we already have two possible different representations from the same entity leading me to believe that what you see might not be what you really get.JMHO

Neither of us have dabbled in anything, with the exception of a party where a ouija board came out at a party when I was a teenager. Nothing happened, got some responses, but we all think at least one of us at the table was pushing the indicator (I forget what it's called) to get "good answers". Nothing followed me, and I never had any type of paranormal experience until we rented a house (our residence before this apartment) for two years. There were odd noises of someone going up and down the stairs quite often, and that was pretty much the extent. Except the house just had a very oppressive negative feel to it, if that makes any sense. When we moved in, we had a great marriage, no problems outside of the ordinary. In our 2nd and final year in that house we had all kinds of problems, and even separated twice, although very briefly both times. That's why we were so glad when we moved in here and felt such a good vibe in the place, and things are back to the way they were before that awful house.

I don't have a family history in the paranormal at all, but my wife's family has some history of practicing Hoodoo (I'm assuming I spelled that right). Neither of us has practiced yoga, or any other eastern world exercises.

We had a talk about our 'little girl' this afternoon, and it was quite interesting. My wife has apparently seen her more than she had let on before, but neither of us have felt a malevolence. More like curiosity, if anything. Like me, she has seen her wearing a light dress each time.

what is she wearing how about her hair? what is she doing when you see her?
She's wearing a dress, not way out of fashion for today, but still plain and light colored (white or beige). Hair is long, not pulled back/pinned up, just over her shoulders.

Keep in mind it's only impressions I get when it comes to details, but they're the same impression my wife gets too.

Posturepal I can fully relate to your experiences living in a place that feels "oppressive" the outcome from my living in such a house wasn't good. The possibility exists that you wifes past and the relative who played with the Hoodoo may have helped to contribute to this. Playing with ouija boards is a known entry point although this isn't always a for sure thing. Lots of stories out there about this that are not fabrications. I know some people may think it is ridiculous to mention yoga because it is so accepted in western culture, but the fact is that any opening up and emptying out can invite.

I'm curious if any suicides may have happened there.

Posturepal I can fully relate to your experiences living in a place that feels "oppressive" the outcome from my living in such a house wasn't good. The possibility exists that you wifes past and the relative who played with the Hoodoo may have helped to contribute to this. Playing with ouija boards is a known entry point although this isn't always a for sure thing. Lots of stories out there about this that are not fabrications. I know some people may think it is ridiculous to mention yoga because it is so accepted in western culture, but the fact is that any opening up and emptying out can invite.

I'm curious if any suicides may have happened there.

Not only is it ridiculous, it's nonsense. I've been meditating and doing Tai Chi my entire adult life and never have I ever "invited" in some kind of spirit, demonic or otherwise. This is your typical fundie bias against eastern religions, it has no basis in reality. Martial artists have been practicing a technique called "Mushin" or empty mind for centuries with no ill effects. You have no idea what you're talking about. I don't even think you could find a basis in the bible for this one, it comes from the same whackos that said dancing and drinking soda on a Sunday was the work of the devil. The fact that ignorant beliefs like this have survived into the year 2012 is astonishing.

Three words stood out from your post Muadib."nonsense" "fundie"and whackos".......you can call me anything you want to even late for supper but my opinions are valid and they do stand.

You may have given us a slight hint of your bias with your current choice of an avatar. FWIW I am trained in isshinryu Karate and it DOES have possibilities to get into more than the physical aspect of it. A lot of people take karate and yoga and nothing happens but some get into the deeper darker parts of some of these things and bring on spiritual forces.

Wheres the proof of this claim ?

It reminds me of this

Once convinced of her possession, Anneliese, her parents, and the exorcists stopped seeking medical treatment, and put her fate solely into the hands of the exorcism rites. Sixty-seven exorcism sessions, one or two each week, lasting up to four hours, were performed over about ten months in 1975 and 1976

Their request came after receiving a message from a Carmelite nun from the district of Allgäu in southern Bavaria. The nun told the parents that she had a vision of their daughter’s still-intact body and that the vision authenticated the supernatural character of the daughter's case. The official reason presented by the parents to authorities was that Michel had been buried in undue hurry in a cheap coffin. Almost two years after the burial, on 25 February 1978, her remains were replaced in a new oak coffin lined with tin.
The official reports state that the body bore the signs of consistent deterioration

So the nun got it wrong, was in fact spouting nonsense
This poor mentally ill person died because of the unfounded superstitious nonsense that comes from this cult and its brainwashing.

exorcism - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

A recent book on the topic (American Exorcism: Expelling Demons in the Land of Plenty By Michael Cuneo, Doubleday, 2001) found no reason to think anything supernatural occurred in the “real” exorcist case, or any other. After attending fifty exorcisms, Cuneo is unequivocal about the fact that he saw nothing supernatural—and certainly nothing remotely resembling The Exorcist. No spinning heads, levitation, or poltergeists, though maybe some cursing and a little puking now and then.

CSI | The Real Story Behind The Exorcist

So where is the proof these entities exist ?
The reason this is important is people get killed by the process

Exorcism has caused a number of real-world tragedies over the years, including several deaths.

Pentecostal ministers in San Francisco pummeled a woman to death in 1995, as they tried to drive out her demons.

In 1997, a Korean Christian woman was stomped to death in Glendale, Calif., and in the Bronx section of New York City, a 5-year-old girl died after being forced to swallow a mixture containing ammonia and vinegar and having her mouth taped shut.

In 1998, a 17-year-old girl in Sayville, N.Y., was suffocated by her mother with a plastic bag, in an effort to destroy a demon inside her.

In 2001, a 37-year old woman, Joanna Lee, was strangled to death in an exorcism by a Korean church minister working in New Zealand. The minister, Luke Lee, was found guilty of manslaughter.

Insisting these imaginary entities are real, with no proof whatsoever feeds this BS

Since moving into an apartment a couple of years ago, I have seen, out of the corner of my eye, a girl standing in the doorway of our spare bedroom. The sightings occur off and on, and there has been no feeling of ill-will coming from anywhere in the apartment. Actually we've both (my wife and I) felt good vibes from the place, and have been quite happy there.

I've discussed the 'little girl' with my wife, who is far more attuned to 'ghosts' than I ever will be. Oddly though, she had never seen the girl, until a few weeks ago.

I was taking my customary heavy-duty comatose-like Saturday afternoon nap in our bedroom, and woke up because I heard my wife yell, "Oh, hell no, not in here!" I groggily asked her what was up. She said, "That's no 'little girl' you've been seeing. I came in the room and she was standing at the end of the bed looking at you. She's at least 17." We've been married nearly 15 years, so this sudden flare of jealousy, while somewhat flattering, was very uncommon. She hasn't talked about it since, and has said she won't. I don't know if that's all that happened, but it's all she's willing to say.

While open-minded about ghosts, and the paranormal in general, I'm the one in the house who is the last to really take it as fact. But this, I really have no choice but to take it as fact. My wife works 2nd shift, so I often will come home after work and take a nap so I can be up for a while after she gets home, and still have a chance of not being sleep-deprived the next day. Now, however, I must admit to some nervousness when I close the bedroom door to lay down, and have a few times woken up plain scared that I'm not alone in the apartment.

Interesting story. Please keep us apprised of future developments. When these incidents happen, also try looking around outside and in the sky for anything unusual like strange vehicles or objects in the sky.

Three words stood out from your post Muadib."nonsense" "fundie"and whackos".......you can call me anything you want to even late for supper but my opinions are valid and they do stand.

You may have given us a slight hint of your bias with your current choice of an avatar. FWIW I am trained in isshinryu Karate and it DOES have possibilities to get into more than the physical aspect of it. A lot of people take karate and yoga and nothing happens but some get into the deeper darker parts of some of these things and bring on spiritual forces.

Well, those words weren't directed at you specifically but if the shoe fits I guess you have to wear it. You are indeed a "fundie whacko" who's speaking "nonsense" if you believe that doing yoga, practicing martial arts or clearing your mind invites in demons. Furthermore, I'm betting that you have no proof that would support any of the statements you've made. What in the world are you even talking about, what "dark side" is there to practicing Karate or Yoga? How about some examples or testimony from people who have engaged in the so called "deeper or darker parts" of martial arts, inquiring minds would like to know.

As for my avatar, yes I have shown my bias, my bias in favor of kick ass punk rock music with intelligent lyrics that speak out against ignorance and bullshit. Guilty as charged.

Interesting story. Please keep us apprised of future developments. When these incidents happen, also try looking around outside and in the sky for anything unusual like strange vehicles or objects in the sky.
I'll do that. Interesting idea, I hadn't even considered looking in the sky, or even outside, for that matter.

Check out a movie called 'The Rite' which has Anthony Hopkins as a Welsh priest/exorcist living and working in Rome.
It shows the battle a trainee priest has in coming to terms with demons and possession. It's quite good whichever side of the fence one is one.

Personally, I think there may well be entities, trickster-like maybe, who maybe are 'evil' or possibly amoral who can inhabit someone's consciousness - but I don't think there has to be any religions dimension in that perhaps these things have been known about for a long time and they have been incorporated into man-made religions and given character's such as demons etc.

I often refer to the Sherman Ranch and what is happening there. If even half of the reported happenings are true then I see no Christian/religous connotation whatsoever but I do see how the religious could use terms like 'evil' and 'demonic' to describe the entities that seem to operate and play there.

Check out a movie called 'The Rite' which has Anthony Hopkins as a Welsh priest/exorcist living and working in Rome.
It shows the battle a trainee priest has in coming to terms with demons and possession. It's quite good whichever side of the fence one is one.

Personally, I think there may well be entities, trickster-like maybe, who maybe are 'evil' or possibly amoral who can inhabit someone's consciousness - but I don't think there has to be any religions dimension in that perhaps these things have been known about for a long time and they have been incorporated into man-made religions and given character's such as demons etc.

I often refer to the Sherman Ranch and what is happening there. If even half of the reported happenings are true then I see no Christian/religous connotation whatsoever but I do see how the religious could use terms like 'evil' and 'demonic' to describe the entities that seem to operate and play there.

better yet, check out a book called "Dark Sacrament" -details some Irish cases of demonic oppression, and the physical and mental toll some exorcisms take on the exorcist themselves. One such fellow, Cannon William Lundry(?) -documents some really strange activity surrounding some of his cases.
Really enjoyed this book- out of about 6 cases, 3 or 4 really had my interest.

Christianity embraces exorcism because the jesus character performed them.

Christianity and the Problem of Human Violence By Stephen R. Kaufman, M.D. - Part 128: The Gerasene Demoniac - Did Jesus Kill 2000 Pigs? - All Creatures Guide to Kingdom Living - life, heaven, earth, peace, justice, Bible study, discussion, commentary, God, Christ, Christian, Jewish, Jesus, Holy Spirit, vegetarian

As far as sherman ranch goes its all relative, Whats been documented there is nothing compared to what goes on in abattoirs every day, but the visceral horror of such places dont evoke "evil" explanations.

Give a kid a magnifying glass and the local ants will likely suffer a searing death at the hands of his laser beam, demons ? no

Several psychological disorders, including Tourette syndrome and schizophrenia, can produce the types of effects seen in "possessed" people. People with epilepsy can suddenly go into convulsions when having a seizure; Tourette syndrome causes involuntary movements and vocal outbursts; schizophrenia involves auditory and visual hallucinations, paranoia, delusions and sometimes violent behavior.

Psychological issues like low self-esteem and narcissism can cause a person to act out the role of "possessed person" in order to gain attention. In a case where the subject is in fact suffering from mental illness, the Church is doing harm by labeling the person possessed if this prevents the person from seeking out the medical treatment he or she requires.

There is considerable documentation, however, of the harmful outcomes of exorcisms performed outside the Catholic Church. One widely reported incident took place in June 2005 in Tanacu, Romania. A priest and several nuns in a Romanian Orthodox convent believed that Maricia Irina Cornici, a 23-year-old nun who lived in the convent, was possessed.

So they carried out an exorcism ritual: They tied her to a cross, pushed a towel into her mouth and left her alone without food and water. The intent was to drive out the demon inhabiting her body. Cornici died after three days. Officials believe the young woman had schizophrenia.

Imo demons like god are imaginary beings, and not useful for humanitys psyche

Just a few examples of the real evil this superstition causes

Exorcisms that have ended in death...
Exorcism | Religion News Blog

Concerning Exorcism | The Paracast Community Forums

It's really interesting where this has gone. I certainly had no intention of sparking a religious debate, but healthy debate is good, imho.

@mike - I don't even pretend to offer proof of the little/not so little girl, I don't think I ever could. Just extremely brief glimpses, that I admit could well be tricks of the light. Although it has happened at various times of day/evening/night.

@goggsmackay & @Stagger Lee - Thanks for the movie and book suggestions. I'll check them both out.

More and more I'm leaning towards thinking that 'ghosts' aren't so much the spirits of those that have died, but more likely a left over, or residual energy left behind. If that's the case, and if there's anything at all behind the little girl, I'm willing to bet a girl who lived here died (quite possibly here), and had a lot of energy that previous tenants didn't bother to pack and take with them when they left. :)

Mike,
What are your thoughts on the rare cases, where activity is reported by those involved in an exorcism? Internal ("victim" speaking in foreign language, etc.) External ("poltergeist-like" activity)
There was a case in the eastern part of my state (Pa) about 30 yrs ago, where a young man could make it "rain" indoors- experienced by law enforcement called to the scene, with water pouring down from no obvious source, defying gravity by raining "up" as well as sideways. Also witnessed by prison guards and inmates -only to be "released" from oppression after an exorcism.
The religious aspect aside- something unusual occured, that seems certain.

Mike,
What are your thoughts on the rare cases, where activity is reported by those involved in an exorcism? Internal ("victim" speaking in foreign language, etc.) External ("poltergeist-like" activity)
There was a case in the eastern part of my state (Pa) about 30 yrs ago, where a young man could make it "rain" indoors- experienced by law enforcement called to the scene, with water pouring down from no obvious source, defying gravity by raining "up" as well as sideways. Also witnessed by prison guards and inmates -only to be "released" from oppression after an exorcism.
The religious aspect aside- something unusual occured, that seems certain.

I saw an episode of 'Paranormal Witness' last week and it must have been about this 'rain' case. It was a great episode and great story. If it really happened then it is one of the most in-yer-face examples of the manipulation of matter and forces.
To produce indoor rain is something but to have rain go upwards? Wow.

Back