• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Television Show - Extreme Paranormal

No that's a joke site.. perhaps the network is doing a spoof comedy show. If they wrote you back a nasty note they are just pulling your leg for all its worth.

Dude...I know who's producing this. It's not a joke and it will air. That is bad, bad news. I'm so glad I don't watch TV and analogue is dying in Australia very soon. I'll have zero reception. Only white noise. Oddly enough, white noise seems to be the only thing worthwhile on TV these days.

Well, I wrote Glenn, the moron from that site, and asked him if his "proof" page was satire. Here's his response:

Hi dB, we are professional paranormal investigators. Nothing we do is satire. I dont see a problem with our evidence page. The shadow person phenomena has been reported everywhere and red eyes on film have been linked with possessions. I dont know why but I'm guessing your one of those skeptics. No proof is ever good enough for skeptics.

Glenn

And I just wrote him back:

Glenn,

If you take the time to do an even cursory search of my name, you will find out exactly who I am - an experiencer, highly-respected paranormal podcast host (The Paracast) and one of the top Photoshop experts (I wrote the very first book ever written about the program, and worked at ILM in 1991, doing visual effects using Photoshop 2.0) involved in analyzing anomalous photographs for some of the top researchers/organizations in the world. Your "red-eye" picture is the result of a flash photo illuminating the blood vessels at the back of eyes with open irises, such a common photographic artifact with flash photography, that Photoshop, Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Lightroom all have dedicated "red-eye" removal tools. That one "shadow person" photo of a guy with a shadow behind him, is right in front of a pane of glass, it's obviously his reflection. I can explain every single one of those photos, EVERY ONE, no problem. Am I a logical, skeptical thinker? Absolutely. Am I fully aware that there are paranormal realities that defy current scientific understanding? Absolutely. Type my name into Google before responding, you'll look like less of a fool, if that's even possible. You've already proven to me that your research and critical thinking skills are non-existent.

dB

So, so glad I don't watch TV. You have no idea how hard it was to read his response to you without wanting to claw my own eyes out. No wait...the want and desire was there...I just need my eyes right now so I can see the tree I'm going to plow into on the way home from work tonight.

When will the hurting stop!

Well, I wrote Glenn, the moron from that site, and asked him if his "proof" page was satire. Here's his response:

Hi dB, we are professional paranormal investigators. Nothing we do is satire. I dont see a problem with our evidence page. The shadow person phenomena has been reported everywhere and red eyes on film have been linked with possessions. I dont know why but I'm guessing your one of those skeptics. No proof is ever good enough for skeptics.

Glenn

And I just wrote him back:

Glenn,

If you take the time to do an even cursory search of my name, you will find out exactly who I am - an experiencer, highly-respected paranormal podcast host (The Paracast) and one of the top Photoshop experts (I wrote the very first book ever written about the program, and worked at ILM in 1991, doing visual effects using Photoshop 2.0) involved in analyzing anomalous photographs for some of the top researchers/organizations in the world. Your "red-eye" picture is the result of a flash photo illuminating the blood vessels at the back of eyes with open irises, such a common photographic artifact with flash photography, that Photoshop, Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Lightroom all have dedicated "red-eye" removal tools. That one "shadow person" photo of a guy with a shadow behind him, is right in front of a pane of glass, it's obviously his reflection. I can explain every single one of those photos, EVERY ONE, no problem. Am I a logical, skeptical thinker? Absolutely. Am I fully aware that there are paranormal realities that defy current scientific understanding? Absolutely. Type my name into Google before responding, you'll look like less of a fool, if that's even possible. You've already proven to me that your research and critical thinking skills are non-existent.

dB

In the back of my mind I'm thinking these guys are having a laugh at everyone's expense. Trying to keep a joke going - to keep a straight face - for as long as possible. Haven't you guys ever come across people who have that sort of sense of humor before? Jackasses that try to stay in character long after the joke has worn thin.

Why else would they pick an image from the running of the bulls to prove levitation? I mean it's as bad as grabbing a pick of a cheerleader jumping in the air. It's so absurd. I guarantee there's some 25 year old smart ass behind laughing his ass off after such effective trolling. I'm not saying the cable network doesnt take it seriously - what the fuck do they know? - but I'm talking about the guy who created the site.

In the back of my mind I'm thinking these guys are having a laugh at everyone's expense. Trying to keep a joke going - to keep a straight face - for as long as possible. Haven't you guys ever come across people who have that sort of sense of humor before? Jackasses that try to stay in character long after the joke has worn thin.

Why else would they pick an image from the running of the bulls to prove levitation? I mean it's as bad as grabbing a pick of a cheerleader jumping in the air. It's so absurd. I guarantee there's some 25 year old smart ass behind laughing his ass off after such effective trolling. I'm not saying the cable network doesnt take it seriously - what the fuck do they know? - but I'm talking about the guy who created the site.

I sure as shit hope you're right, man, 'cause if not, then they're dumb as rocks.

dB

My wife was watching this show the other night. I can usually put up with bad tv, but this pushed me over the edge. I swear every single word that was coming out of their mouths sounded like they were reading a script! I hate that more than anything on these kind of shows. I will never watch it again.

The fact that anybody would take their evidence page seriously is frightening. I have to agree (and laugh with) Jose when he said he wanted to claw out his eyes over it. The pic with the country bumpkin missing a tooth was classic and clenched it for me; this simply cannot be serious.

Then again, people thing that the world is going to end or change dramatically in the year 2012, so...maybe.

Also, it's possible have a scientific measure of a ghost?

Hi Rudolf,

The answer to your question is a resounding 'no', unfortunately. If there was a way to measure a ghost, the world would recognize their existence as a whole and I would be getting paid for ghost hunting.

I don't remember the specifics but I read about someone who conducted experiments in the 1800's attempting to measure the soul. This individual put a bed frame on a very sensitive scale, drop a dieing person on the bed, then measure the person while they were alive. Upon their passing, he would immediately weigh them again. The theory was their physical bodies would weigh less after the soul left. Odd as it sounds he actually got some very minute variations! They was extremely small, less than an ounce, I believe, but still.....very odd.

When we're investigating claims of hauntings and take base-line readings in a location, we will check for certain parameters during the investigation that may indicate activity occurring. For instance a variation in EMF from 4 to 7 milli-Gauss may indicate an energy build up prior to manifestation, and a temperature fluctuation of around 10 degrees (plus or minus) could indicate something about to happen. We look for those types of fluctuations which may indicate a ghost (I prefer "disembodied consciousness") is in the general location, but this is discounting environmental factors as well.

4 to 7 milli-Gauss

This means nothing when the devices being used aren't calibrated. They can't be calibrated for the purpose they're being used for. Therefor, those readings and the base line readings are useless. You're better off waving a feather duster in the air and whistling dixie.

The sooner these gadgets are put in the trash the better.

This means nothing when the devices being used aren't calibrated. They can't be calibrated for the purpose they're being used for. Therefor, those readings and the base line readings are useless. You're better off waving a feather duster in the air and whistling dixie.

The sooner these gadgets are put in the trash the better.

Okay, time to educate the noob (me). So since they cannot be calibrated, are EMF detectors essentially worthless regardless of what they're used for? Are they calibrated when purchased? Approximately how much can you use a common detector before it's considered inaccurate? What about a natural tri-field meter, which calibrates upon power-on? Do you recommend a particular brand of feather duster? I can't whistle very well so is a kazoo just as effective?

J.

That argument is how I have beat my last 3 speeding tickets. ;)
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Funny you say that! I've heard that the K-II can go off from a police radar gun triggered up to 3 miles away. I have an hour commute, each way, every day down a busy highway that has known speed traps along the route so I dropped my K-II in my car to test. So far, nothing, but the experimentation continues.

A good friend of mine at work also into ghost hunting just pointed something out about our friends here... Welcome ...Their acronym, which ghost hunt groups are known to push like TAPS or HHPI (Haunted Heartland Paranormal Investigations) is CRAP.

This MUST be a joke, now.

Okay, time to educate the noob (me). So since they cannot be calibrated, are EMF detectors essentially worthless regardless of what they're used for? Are they calibrated when purchased? Approximately how much can you use a common detector before it's considered inaccurate? What about a natural tri-field meter, which calibrates upon power-on? Do you recommend a particular brand of feather duster? I can't whistle very well so is a kazoo just as effective?

J.

Yes, EMF detectors are worthless when used in a Paranormal scene. Not useless when used what they're designed for. Totally useless if they cannot be calibrated. They aren't calibrated when you purchase them regardless of what the seller claims.

The devices I used professionally had a tolerance of .25 - .5 when it came to calibration. This meant that if the device fell under 99.5% accuracy that we couldn't use the device. Calibration took a while and these devices needed calibrating every time we used them. Our calibration target was supplied by the manufacturer. Calibration didn't come at the push of a button. We used several pieces of equipment to calibrate one device.

So, when it comes to paranormal uses. There is no calibration target. There is no regular calibration to this target. There is no calibration, period.

A Trifield does not calibrate to anything paranormal related and this device also requires recalibration to a set target. So calibration when it turns on means nothing because what exactly is it calibrating to and what is it calibrating for?

I recommend the dust-o-matic. They're awesome.

Yes, EMF detectors are worthless when used in a Paranormal scene. Not useless when used what they're designed for. Totally useless if they cannot be calibrated. They aren't calibrated when you purchase them regardless of what the seller claims.

The devices I used professionally had a tolerance of .25 - .5 when it came to calibration. This meant that if the device fell under 99.5% accuracy that we couldn't use the device. Calibration took a while and these devices needed calibrating every time we used them. Our calibration target was supplied by the manufacturer. Calibration didn't come at the push of a button. We used several pieces of equipment to calibrate one device.

So, when it comes to paranormal uses. There is no calibration target. There is no regular calibration to this target. There is no calibration, period.

A Trifield does not calibrate to anything paranormal related and this device also requires recalibration to a set target. So calibration when it turns on means nothing because what exactly is it calibrating to and what is it calibrating for?

I recommend the dust-o-matic. They're awesome.

I can see your point, exactly. I've often heard the factual argument that the equipment we use, regardless of accuracy, is no good when it comes to ghost hunting. Despite how much you calibrate, despite how accurate these devices are they simply are not created for paranormal investigation. Even your so-called "professionally" calibrated EMF detectors are utterly worthless when it comes to detecting truly paranormal activity.

So I ask you, why bother waving these things around? I mean you're own devices, despite the calibration, are worthless, or are you telling me that the lengths you took to get them calibrated allowed you to detect ghosts? It seems to me that there are no devices at all that detect ghosts, only environmental factors. So if I take a baseline reading (not paranormal) of say, .1 to .3 milli-Gauss, and later on get a fluctuation of upwards of 3 to 7 milli-Gauss, we tend to take notice of that. What would cause that? Radar emission? An errant EMF 'cloud' drifting through the area? Someone turning on a radio or a walkie-talkie? A cellphone hit? Calibration or not, since it's not picking up paranormal activity, what, exactly, is it picking up? Is the device failing and suddenly registering false positives,randomly, that fluctuate from readings taken less than an hour ago? What causes that? Clearly there is a plausible explanation and I'm not convinced that calibration is it? And how exactly do I calibrate a device to detect paranormal activity? If I can't, then you're right, I shouldn't be utilizing such devices, but what about an ion detector? an infrasound detector? an ambient temperature detector? any such electronic devices?

In short, what are the lines of demarcation?

I can see your point, exactly. I've often heard the factual argument that the equipment we use, regardless of accuracy, is no good when it comes to ghost hunting. Despite how much you calibrate, despite how accurate these devices are they simply are not created for paranormal investigation. Even your so-called "professionally" calibrated EMF detectors are utterly worthless when it comes to detecting truly paranormal activity.

So I ask you, why bother waving these things around? I mean you're own devices, despite the calibration, are worthless, or are you telling me that the lengths you took to get them calibrated allowed you to detect ghosts? It seems to me that there are no devices at all that detect ghosts, only environmental factors. So if I take a baseline reading (not paranormal) of say, .1 to .3 milli-Gauss, and later on get a fluctuation of upwards of 3 to 7 milli-Gauss, we tend to take notice of that. What would cause that? Radar emission? An errant EMF 'cloud' drifting through the area? Someone turning on a radio or a walkie-talkie? A cellphone hit? Calibration or not, since it's not picking up paranormal activity, what, exactly, is it picking up? Is the device failing and suddenly registering false positives,randomly, that fluctuate from readings taken less than an hour ago? What causes that? Clearly there is a plausible explanation and I'm not convinced that calibration is it? And how exactly do I calibrate a device to detect paranormal activity? If I can't, then you're right, I shouldn't be utilizing such devices, but what about an ion detector? an infrasound detector? an ambient temperature detector? any such electronic devices?

In short, what are the lines of demarcation?

The devices I used were for the printing/imaging industry. Highly precise film/plate equipment. It had nothing to do with the paranormal. The equipment required regular calibration. Several tools were used to gain an acceptable final calibration standard. The manufacturer of the devices and the tool give you a calibration point. None of this exists in the paranormal scene.

A baseline reading is virtually useless if the device you are using is not calibrated. I have seen people make claims of reading that were "not there" earlier in the day. This means nothing. It could be anything. Load on a grid, environmental factors or even the device itself because it's poorly manufactured or simply not calibrated.

What about an ion detector, infrasound detector, ambient temperature detector? They are just as useless because none of them are designed for the use their being put forward for. They're great when you use them for their designed purpose but the second you throw a paranormal twist to it, they're useless.

Ugh...I hate paranormal TV shows.

The below idiots are soon to grace Australian TV with their presence

The stupidest paranormal team on the face of the planet...coming soon to a TV near you

I'm going to vomit blood

That is too funny. I guess all of my friends and I are possessed by demons... well at least until I use that little tool that corrects our red eyes. Would that even exist if it wasn't completely normal. And before digital cameras were so popular they actually had the little handy pen thing for fixing that.

I am not a photo expert and I understand what I am looking at in all of those pics and it isn't demons.

My grandparents used to have some oak paneling in a den that looked like a face... I should have taken a pic and sent it in for proof of something. haha. And if the flash reflected off of any bit of the shiney wall in the same pic, thats ectoplasm right? extra proof.

Watched an episode of Extreme Paranormal. I can honestly say I enjoyed it thoroughly...for all the wrong reasons. How can anyone watch that bullshit and not laugh? Man, don't try watching this show after some hash cookies or you'll literally die laughing.

Back