• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Television Show - Extreme Paranormal

Jeff Crowell

Paranormal Annoyance
So I caught a show called Extreme Paranormal last night on A&E. It was the first episode. I've heard this show was coming from some ghost hunting friends of mine where the show was based on the "investigators" intentionally provoking the ghosts to try to get something to happen. A few of the more sensitive people took offense of this technique, as I did for no other reason than it's annoying and disrespectful. Still, I decided to watch the show just to see what it was al about.

This was the dumbest f-ing paranormal show since Most Haunted. It's 8 times worse than Most Haunted, too. The three f-ers doing the show are dumber than a box of rocks. As my wife put it, there's the gay guy, the fat guy, and the idiot. So the first part of the first episode they go to an insane asylum that had a history of violence (imagine that...an asylum with a history of violence.) Supposedly, as the story goes, a riot broke out and some of the inmates raided another area of the asylum, setting some of those inmates on fire or beating them to death.

So the fools of Extreme Paranormal go there and start yelling, running, cutting through steel bars while trying to provoke something into happening. At one point they come across the visage of a burned inmate upon the ground and decide they're going to try to provoke there, because, after all, "someone died, right there " as the fat guy put it. That's when the show really goes off the damn deep end.

The gay guy (not that I have a problem with homosexuals at all, in fact I listen to a podcast that has a gay host and it's a pretty decent show, but this guy looked like he was in denial. I only call him "the gay guy" for identification purposes.), decided to do a blood ritual. On they went, the gay guy cutting his palm and outlining the burned image. He chanted some hocus-pocus BS and scribing some supposedly magical f-ing symbol in the image, tried to summon the ghosts. Very little happened for all their efforts, and call I can say is I pray that guy was not HIV positive.

The next session of the episode centered around a supposedly haunted lake where the gay guy, again, decided he was going to use sorcery to protect the idiots from harm, and summon the ghosties. The idiots put a floating ring and stars in the water to protect them, then the fool dove down to the bottom while the gay and fat guys went on shore to summon the ghosts that inhabited the lake. (I have to admit, the concept behind the haunted lake was pretty cool, but, still, it by no means takes away from the fact that these guys are blatant morons.) A friend of mine from work said that the ring in the water used to counter the ghosts reminded him of the episode of Spongebob Square Pants where Spongebob drew a ring in the sand to protect him and Patrick from a Sea Bear. This was about as realistic as a Spongebob episode, too. In the beginning of this part of the show, the fools were looking over the edge of the water with their flashlights when suddenly something broke the surface of the water pretty close and caused a serious splash. They freaked and chalked it up as paranormal activity. Clearly these morons never went fishing at night with their father or else they would be well aware that a light near the surface of the water will attract fish!! F, these guys are down right stupid!

In the end there was a lot of "What was that?!" and "Something just pushed me, dude" and "I saw something!!!" when the camera was pointed the other way. There was very little in the way of evidence caught...a shadow moving and some banging sounds that could have been the film crew, and a lot of spook-show, hocus-pocus BS.

How does this show compare to Ghost Hunters? This show makes Ghost Hunters look like genuine scientific research, and people who know me know how much I HATE ghost hunters these days. In a world where paranormal investigation is not taken seriously at all, this piece of s**** program puts the entire concept of paranormal investigation back to the stone age. Yeah, with magic incantations and whoody-whoo BS and all. I loathe this program, and anybody with any kind of serious streak in them will avoid the show like the plague. Let it wither and die so we can all pretend it never happened.

(BTW, this was the seriously edited version of my view of the program. The unedited version is on my blog. It just has the curse-worse in it so you're not missing any of my rant.)

More like Extreme Assholes. I can imagine a Loch Ness epsiode:"Wanna eat me, prehistoric prick,do you want a piece of me, come for it":)
"Today we are going to to say a Reptilian fuck you!". Oh my God, this show must be a satire, no?

The gay guy (not that I have a problem with homosexuals at all, in fact I listen to a podcast that has a gay host and it's a pretty decent show, but this guy looked like he was in denial. I only call him "the gay guy" for identification purposes.),

LOL at your 47 word disclaimer when using the word "gay" :)

Anyway.. I think Ghost Adventures is the worst of the worst.. Last week the main guy Zack (Not gay by the way) pretended to "posessed" by some ghost (after planting the seed of that possibility in the viewers' minds earlier during the "pre-lockdown" walk-through.) The whole thing was truly ridiculous and embarrassing.

I wonder how out and out charlatans sleep at night knowing that they make their living feeding off the gullibility of people rather than contributing something useful to society.

Do all the myriad scammers out there look in the mirror every morning and tell themselves "Other people are much worse than me so it's ok that I'm a liar and leech" Or are they just insane?

Do all the myriad scammers out there look in the mirror every morning and tell themselves "Other people are much worse than me so it's ok that I'm a liar and leech" Or are they just insane?

I think they just really, really like money. They like it WAY more than having things like integrity... or scruples... or talent... or credibility... or anything, really.

Extreme Paranomal is ungodly awful though. As I said to Jose in another thread (which should perhaps be mereged with this one, maybe?) the only way I can descibe it is if you took the very worst elements of Most Haunted, Paranormal State, Ghost Hunters and Destination: Truth and combined them in a manner that makes the Blair Witch Project look like oscar-winning cinema.

Thanks for the heads up. I DVR'd another new show called "Ghost Lab" (at least I think it is new, perhaps not). Either way it was pretty bad as well. They drive around in their huge Ghost Lab rig lugging around the typical equipment doing the typical ghost hunting stuff coming up with the same typical sketchy "evidence". I'm thinking they must somehow be related to Grant or Jason from Ghosthunters and have now got their own show.

I only made it through half an episode before deleting it. It probably isn't as bad as the show described here in this thread (which isn't saying much), but it is among the duds that are clogging the televisions right now.

For what it's worth I do like the show called "A Haunting" (think that is what it's called). It's a pretty dramatized, over exagerated (I'm sure), depiction of certain hauntings. I find it much more interesting than any other show right now (it's been on for a while now). At least it makes me want to find out more about the cases presented.

LOL at your 47 word disclaimer when using the word "gay" :)

I, uh, just wanted to make sure that people knew I wasn't discriminating. I've made it no secret that I'm Lutheran on these forums and didn't want people thinking I was passing judgement on anybody for any way they wanted to live their life. I'm the least qualified person walking this Earth to do so.8)

Thanks for the heads up. I DVR'd another new show called "Ghost Lab" (at least I think it is new, perhaps not). Either way it was pretty bad as well. They drive around in their huge Ghost Lab rig lugging around the typical equipment doing the typical ghost hunting stuff coming up with the same typical sketchy "evidence". I'm thinking they must somehow be related to Grant or Jason from Ghosthunters and have now got their own show.

I only made it through half an episode before deleting it. It probably isn't as bad as the show described here in this thread (which isn't saying much), but it is among the duds that are clogging the televisions right now.

For what it's worth I do like the show called "A Haunting" (think that is what it's called). It's a pretty dramatized, over exagerated (I'm sure), depiction of certain hauntings. I find it much more interesting than any other show right now (it's been on for a while now). At least it makes me want to find out more about the cases presented.

The first episode of Ghost Lab I didn't like. I thought the Klinge brothers were arrogant and over-excited, but I saw some potential in the show. They're more debunkers than Jason and Grant are, and the evidence they capture is more valid, in my opinion. I ended up missing the 2nd episode, but watched bits and pieces of the 3rd episode last night. Honestly the show's growing on me, I think because the guys are calming down and settling into the show. For my money, this one has Ghost Hunters beat, since Ghost Hunters sold out and fake 99.9% of their stuff.

A Haunting's a good flick. It's all re-enactments but still good stories and eye witness accounts. I don't think they're making A Haunting any more, though. I think it's all syndicated.

I think they just really, really like money. They like it WAY more than having things like integrity... or scruples... or talent... or credibility... or anything, really.

Here's where Jason and Grant from Ghost Hunters sold out, too. They used to be good, actual paranormal investigators but now they're nothing more than entertainers. Honestly when dB goes on a rant (justifiably so) about the lack of unity in the ghost hunting discipline, I think back to the days when I thought Jason and Grant would take their popularity and do just that. I thought they could unify the ghost hunting field and elevate it to something far more credible. Though they're based out of New Jersey, they have what's called "TAPS family members" around the country. These are like-minded groups that will do investigations on behalf of TAPS when the TAPS team can't make it themselves. Unfortunately even this slight unification is starting to falter, mostly because the TAPS guys only care about the next show, ratings, and keeping the gullible lined up for their next book.

Jose. Whatever happened to the "Haunted Australia" that you were a part of? Did it make it to TV (channel)?

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_d2QXGtlk[/YouTube]

They're debunkers? I simply don't see that. I see them as full blown believers who try to give themselves credibility by dismissing things. Not that they don't warrant dismissing but, you know...eh.

Well, yeah. You got me there. When I say "debunkers" I guess I don't mean it in the same way some others, to. They may 'debunk' some things but you're very correct in saying they're already believers. Anybody who has a show like this, on some degree, is already a believer or they wouldn't really be doing it. If they were complete skeptics (the cynical kind) they'd be doing a show like MythBusters.

Still, they do try to dismiss 'some'things. J and G from Ghost Hunters no longer dismiss anything at all. It's better for ratings to make everything paranormal, I'm thinkin'. :eek:

I stopped watching Ghost Hunters some time ago. They picked up a "evp" and the voice clearly said "I like the one in the hat." Well one of em was wearing a hat and they kind of went "Heeeyyy" and then just dismissed it. Now I suspected they were full of it b4 but that kind of clinched it for me. If I were in a "haunted location" and something or someone made special notice of me I'm either be running like hell or really investigating my ass off to find the source. The smug little dismissal spoke volumes. I hate it because I have seen one or two scenes that really did defy (if not out right faked) a "rational" explanation.

Personally, I like Ghost Hunters. Not because it's a great show, but because they are so much better than all the other crap out there.

I'm really looking forward to Kimball's show though. Haven't seen it in my tv guide for Ontario yet, but will be checking it out for sure when it comes out.

Back to GH. These guys take it seriously, which I really respect, they don't view it entirely as entertainment, though they do sometimes make an effort to entertain, which when I'm watching TV, is fine by me. Jay and Grant genuinely believe in the phenomenon and I don't think that they are discrediting the field in any way. However, their use of EMF and K2 meters doesn't do much for me. I'd rather they concentrate more on capturing stuff on video and audio then running around with these toys that don't really prove a damn thing.

We all want to see smoking gun footage, and the only way you're going to get that is with cameras.

Personally, I like Ghost Hunters. Not because it's a great show, but because they are so much better than all the other crap out there.

I'm really looking forward to Kimball's show though. Haven't seen it in my tv guide for Ontario yet, but will be checking it out for sure when it comes out.

Back to GH. These guys take it seriously, which I really respect, they don't view it entirely as entertainment, though they do sometimes make an effort to entertain, which when I'm watching TV, is fine by me. Jay and Grant genuinely believe in the phenomenon and I don't think that they are discrediting the field in any way. However, their use of EMF and K2 meters doesn't do much for me. I'd rather they concentrate more on capturing stuff on video and audio then running around with these toys that don't really prove a damn thing.

We all want to see smoking gun footage, and the only way you're going to get that is with cameras.

They fake evidence. I've seen extremely compelling critiques of them on youtube, particularly one example where Grant pretends to have his collar pulled down by a ghost. I used to be agnostic on them but after watching the footage I firmly believe them to be full of bullshit.

Whenever you have a situation where your fame and livelihood depends on weekly viewership there is always going to be too much temptation to exaggerate, sensationalize, and outright fake your results.

They fake evidence. I've seen extremely compelling critiques of them on youtube, particularly one example where Grant pretends to have his collar pulled down by a ghost. I used to be agnostic on them but after watching the footage I firmly believe them to be full of bullshit.

I haven't seen the youtube clip, but I did see the episode where that happened. I'll have to check that out b/c I was pretty convinced when I first saw it. If in fact they are faking evidence, then I'll be really disappointed. I thought these guys actually gave a shit about the field.

The GH guys have shown that they don't have a clue of how to actually use the technology they deploy - they have no grasp of level normalization, audio noise reduction, visual enhancement or analysis methods, and their use of IR and EMF tech is sorta silly. And yeah, they're in it for the $$$, and that's pretty much the Bill Birnes School of Integrity degree they're waving. I stopped being interested in the show a couple of seasons ago.

dB

ok, so I watched the clip. I'm really not convinced by that either. If it was pulled down by his right hand, wouldn't the jacket reflect that it is being pulled from an eccentric angle? I've watched the 3D renderings, the actual video, and read the shitstorm on http://www.cliqueclack.com/tv/2008/11/14/was-the-coat-pull-on-ghost-hunters-live-event-faked/ and I'm still not convinced one way or another. Personally, if these guys are faking stuff, I'm going to want to see more proof. And if you can provide it, I'll gladly watch it.

Don't assume that I've got GH on a pedestal, but we all know that people like to call other people out on things without being entirely objective about it. I'm going to give GH the benefit of the doubt, as right now it's just a bunch of "he said, she said".

I guess I'm kinda biased towards GH because I like the show, and I'll be the first to admit it. I don't feel that they have provided really compelling "smoking gun" footage, but they are trying, and IMHO, that's what counts.

Aside from that, they're a lot better than Paranormal State, Most Haunted, and Extreme Paranormal, so I'll keep watching.

Back