• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Swine Flu

Free episodes:

While I'm certainly not a fan of Kissinger, the knowledge that you & I are just about the same age never fails to amaze me. I feel bad for you. Really. At the same time, your posts make me feel better about my own sometimes-anger-fueled rants. "Magic negro"? You're a racist dipshit. You should be ashamed of yourself, man.
dB

what is racist about calling someone a negro? i am far far from a racist. i have several family member who are black, i have dozens of clients who are black, i co sponsored a nigerian family who lived with me for almost a year, i am one of the only white photographers the local black community uses, and i currently have 2- 24x30 black portraits in my studio window. i enjoy learning about different aspects of their cultures. the sudanese Lutheran wedding/reception i shot last weekend was very educational.

go ahead and have yet another anger fueled rant. that is one of the things i like about you. please direct your racist remarks and name calling elsewhere. they do not apply here.

what is racist about calling someone a negro? i am far far from a racist. i have several family member who are black, i have dozens of clients who are black, i co sponsored a nigerian family who lived with me for almost a year, i am one of the only white photographers the local black community uses, and i currently have 2- 24x30 black portraits in my studio window. i enjoy learning about different aspects of their cultures. the sudanese Lutheran wedding/reception i shot last weekend was very educational.

go ahead and have yet another anger fueled rant. that is one of the things i like about you. please direct your racist remarks and name calling elsewhere. they do not apply here.

You're the one who used the term "magic negro". Is that somehow respectful, in some way that I'm misinterpreting? Or is that just you parroting a Fox spokesperson? To try and state that I am making racist remarks is just grasping at straws.

dB

To call someone a "magic" negro is extremely stupid! I don't know if you are a racist or not. To me a racist is someone who would destroy a whole race of humans (see ww11) but your prejudice is showing. As we say here in Alabama (cause we along with Mississsippi are often the scape goats when race is mentioned in the U.S.A.) Man I'm glad the guy that said that is not from Alabama! :cool:

i posted too fast. no, your remark was NOT racist. i should have stated it this way. please direct your racist remark accusation and name calling elsewhere. i apologize for the confusion.

what is racist or disrespectful about "magic"? OR "negro"? I do not watch FOX so i have no clue what you are referring to. i heard the term magic negro in a youtube song called "barrack the magic negro" sung to the tune of "puff the magic dragon". i like the term. if you don't, that is fine with me.

i posted too fast. no, your remark was NOT racist. i should have stated it this way. please direct your racist remark accusation and name calling elsewhere. i apologize for the confusion.

what is racist or disrespectful about "magic"? OR "negro"? I do not watch FOX so i have no clue what you are referring to. i heard the term magic negro in a youtube song called "barrack the magic negro" sung to the tune of "puff the magic dragon". i like the term. if you don't, that is fine with me.

Please give us a fucking break. :rolleyes: The term is a loaded racial slur, as you well know.

And just in case you actually ARE a complete and total nincompoop:
Magical negro

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
The magical negro (sometimes called the mystical negro or magic negro) is a supporting, often mystical stock character in fiction who, by use of special insight or powers, helps the white protagonist get out of trouble. The word negro, now considered by many as archaic and offensive, is used intentionally to suggest that the archetype is a racist throwback, an update of the "Sambo" and "savage other" stereotypes.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-0">[1]</sup> Spike Lee popularized the term, deriding the archetype of the "super-duper magical negro" in 2001 while discussing films with students at Washington State University and at Yale University.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-strangehorizons_1-0">[2]</sup><sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-SpikeLee_2-0">[3]</sup>

give me a fucking break. the term is not a racial slur to me. it is a sarcastic phrase. obama is NOT the magic(al) negro the masses believe him to be. he is a judas goat.

magical negro? would that term make you feel better? fine. barrack the magical negro then. whatever dude.

only nincompoops use wikipedia. lol.

You seriously don't take an issue with the WHO going to Baxter for a vaccine after knowing how bad they fucked up just a few months ago? "Oh well, they almost caused the deaths of millions of people because they are totally inpet. What's the big deal?" Ho-hum

Did you miss the post where I mentioned the Health Canada Hep C blood scandal? Because I have to tell you if I were in a car crash I wouldn't refuse a transfusion based on it and that was a LEGIT scandal.

You're huffing and puffing about an almost-but-not-quite scandal that NEVER HAPPENED. I expect people to do their jobs. If Baxter gets the contract, I expect them to produce the vaccine and get it right. If they do and it winds up killing people, THEN you've got a case to make. Until then however, end of story.

Moving on....
give me a fucking break. the term is not a racial slur to me.

Oh, YOU don't find it offensive so it's okay? I see. One small problem there though... YOU'RE NOT BLACK. Here's a simple test: ask one of your black friends/collegues/family members if THEY find it offensive. If I had any to spare, I'd bet money you don't have the balls to ask them though.

For my own two cents, I find the term negro more archaic than offensive. It's like "chesterfield" or "automobile". I have to stop and stare when I hear it and wonder wtf century these people think they're living in?

only nincompoops use wikipedia. lol.

I guarantee your lord and master Alex Jones uses wikipedia all the time.

I suggest you go ask one of your many black friends, then, what is racist about calling someone a negro. Or a magical negro. If you don't understand this, I don't see how y'all could be very close.

Or you could ask the man who lost his job for passing around that same stupid video you posted.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0Ti-gkJiXc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0Ti-gkJiXc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Today we have 6 cases documented by the "media". 3 are in my county and 2 of the 3 are in school. So, I can freak out that my 2 boys which are in the school system in the county are at risk...or I can relax and think that this is the same old scare that propogated in 1976. I am going to chill and realize that it is all good...RELAX people

This is what I was sent today. And so you are all aware, I scanned these and that's why they are crooked and why the links don't work. Yes it is lame but I didn't know how else to get them on here. lol. sorry. lol

Attachments

• 4-30-2009 9;18;10 PMstate 1.jpg
    4-30-2009 9;18;10 PMstate 1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 4-30-2009 9;18;28 PMstate 2.jpg
    4-30-2009 9;18;28 PMstate 2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 4-30-2009 9;19;08 PMstate 3.jpg
    4-30-2009 9;19;08 PMstate 3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-30-2009 9;19;58 PMstate4.jpg
    4-30-2009 9;19;58 PMstate4.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
With all this flu pandemic talk, it makes me wonder what is REALLY going on with our government and economy that they needed a new boogey man to scare us with?

With all this flu pandemic talk, it makes me wonder what is REALLY going on with our government and economy that they needed a new boogey man to scare us with?

That's exactly the point I made on this week's Angry Human. I really think this whole thing is a diversion, something to distract us away from other, more pressing matters.

dB

this whole thing kind of reminds me of Tom Clancy's 'Rainbow Six.' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Six_(novel)) I think there are a couple of factors at work here.

1. The sensationalistic media. In my local rag this morning the headline was '20 Cases in County sent to the lab!' Comments ranged across the board, of course, but by this evening the results were back. Guess what? Just normal old flu that kills 36,000 people a year. I don't blame them for sending flu cases to the lab. that seems only prudent. but I do blame the papers for suggesting that these are SWINE flu cases when that is statistically unlikely. Our local county 'Department of Emergency Management,' where I am listed as a volunteer is saying, 'be cautious, but don't panic.' it;s the papers and the schools that are freaking out here.

2. One of the issues driving this and why some folks are freaking is that computer simulations run on the data are suggesting a 'pandemic' will break out within a week. However, the simulations depend on accurate data. One of the issues with Mexico is that there were initially a lot of false positives, which skewed the data. it's like using a spreadsheet; you can be accurate to 12 places past the decimal and be entirely wrong.

3. One of the interesting issues is the making of 'flu chips' that can detect the virus accurately within a few hours. there's a story about this over on slashdot, a geek forum: http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/01/199228.

4. Stratfor (www.stratfor.com), a private intelligence firm, is suggesting the data coming out of Mexico is completely unreliable and that US data available over the next week will provide a much more accurate picture of the both the spread, and more importantly, the lethality of the virus.

Back