• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Swine Flu

Free episodes:

yes, that is a little disturbing. But, If there were a pandemic you want anyone and everyone capable of producing it to be doing so.
I think alot of the hyp you're hearing has got to do with preparedness.

That's just the time we live in. We are pretty much dealing with everything in real time. 30 years ago if 200 died it would already be up to 1000 by the time you got the first set of numbers. Now you hear about it as it happens so the numbers don't upset you as much. (frog in the frying pan type of thing)

Ems today deals with everything as though it was the most important emergency. It doesn't matter what it is now. It's all about interoperability. Having everyone trained the same so no matter who you are working with you know what you are doing. The press picks up on the business of everyone and panics the world.

Also you are going to see alot of people using this as a training tool to be ready. Which may look frightening to some because before 911 or New Orleans, You didn't see anyone acting. Only reacting.

If we had the same senario and no did anything and no one was warned and all the different health departments didn't do every thing they are doing now, what do you suppose people would say if it did break out into a pandemic?
You would hear alot of bitching on how we could have done more and no one was prepared and no one warned us even though they all knew.

So I guess I would rather see this overzellous behavior than nothing.:)

What is concerning to me is that the World Heatlh Orgainization has put that at "level 4" which to most people means nothing. It means it is close to calling it a global pandemic.

All that means is that there's confirmed evidence of the disease migrating to other countries, which is by no means surprising, espescially given our ability to monitor these things nowadays.

All that means is that there's confirmed evidence of the disease migrating to at other countries, which is by no means surprising, espescially given our ability to monitor these things nowadays.
and it gives them the ability to free up money to make enough vaccines. I believe they have to be at a certain warning level for that to happen.

All that means is that there's confirmed evidence of the disease migrating to at other countries, which is by no means surprising, espescially given our ability to monitor these things nowadays.

It also means there are protocols that follow the "levels" they set. It goes up to stage six. They next one has a lot of stuff that people will dislike. Including forcing vaccines on people. These are not "my views" either Cap. I don't think this is as serious as hyped, but my views don't amount to much other then an opinion.

I think what is more concerning is what I posted about Baxter. What is your take on that? I think any person who would stick their arm with a Baxter produced vaccine is a stone cold fool with a death wish if they are aware of how inept that company is. It defines "CREEPY" to me.

It also means there are protocols that follow the "levels" they set. It goes up to stage six.

There had goddamn better be protocols. If this thing does become a global pandemic, I fully expect there to be plans to contain it.

They next one has a lot of stuff that people will dislike. Including forcing vaccines on people. These are not "my views" either Cap. I don't think this is as serious as hyped, but my views don't amount to much other then an opinion.

Indeed. And I highly doubt the "forcing vaccines on people" part. There probably wouldn't be enough to go around in the first place. Besides, this is a wholly new strain of flu, so no such vaccine even exists.

As for Baxter, mistakes happen and that's unfortunate but it's also how new regulations get introduced to protect people. Up here in the 80s we had a problem with our blood supply and dozens of people were accidentally infected with Hep C due to tainted blood, so now we watch the blood supply like hawks.

I want protocols as well. Just not ones given to Baxter. The "forced" point is not mine, it's of the protocols. I didn't say it would be enforced, but under the WHO's protocols can be done in the US.

Mistakes happen? Dude they had the most deadly form of bird flu in their bird flu vaccines that were at 18 different facilities in Europe. I don't even need to go to the area of "evil conspiracy" here to say that is not a simple mistake to be taken lightly. It at BEST shows such an inept and untrust worthy company that I wouldn't let them wash my car, let alone stick myself with something in my bloodstream that is susposed to save me life. Why the fuck are BIO-WEAPONS able to be fucked up where they wind up in vaccines in the first place? There is simply no rational answer for this. They should not even be in business anymore. They came within a couple independant lab tests away from likely killing millions of people only a few months ago in Europe.

Why the fuck are BIO-WEAPONS able to be fucked up where they wind up in vaccines in the first place? There is simply no rational answer for this.

Sure there is. You do understand how vaccines are made, right?

They should not even be in business anymore. They came within a couple independant lab tests away from likely killing millions of people only a few months ago in Europe.

Key word: likely. They did not in fact wind up "killing millions", correct? Crisis averted, therefore not a problem. Labelling them "inept and untrustworthy" seems harsh for ALMOST making a mistake, no matter how dire that mistake would have been. The point is it didn't actually happen.

I understand vaccines should not have bio-weapons in them. I would assume you and anyone else reading this would understand this. I also understand that weapons and vaccines are not to be made in the same area. Protocol to ensure accidents do not happen. How the fuck did this happen then?

Take their shot then, Cap. It's like you want to have a Bill Clinton debate and define the word "is" with semantics. Likely? Their ineptness and downright CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE was only stopped by INDEPENDANT scientests who tested the samples on ferrets. They did NOT stop their own mistake. They didn't ALMOST make a mistake. They made a mistake that was found by third party scientests. They should not be serving us FRIES let alone a solution to a possible global pandemic! If not for the independant scientests that tested this we would not be having this debate, possibly literally. Baxter is also the same company involved with Bayer that shipped Factor 8 blood that they KNOWINGLY had AIDS in it to hemophiliacs. Take the vaccine though, it will save you.....

Again, "possibly". Face it, you're freaking out over something that NEVER HAPPENED. Okay, so they screwed up but a third party caught it? You think that's rare or something? I guarantee it's more common than you think (both the screwing up part and the catching part). As long as someone does catch it (and steps are taken to try and prevent it in future) I don't care how it happened. Catastrophes that might have been are of little interest to me.

And last time I checked, bird flu wasn't a bio-weapon, it was bird flu.

Also I don't take flu shots as a matter of course, so I don't plan on taking this one either, should there be one.

I loved the Daily Show's coverage of the media hype the other night.

I've also noticed that outside Mexico not only are people not dying, but for the most part they don't even seem to be getting very sick.

I think this flu should serve as a warning of why stupid farming practices and poverty need to be dealt with for all our sakes, but for most of us it's not going to be a problem in itself.

Also, a stat worth considering - in Canada, about 4,000 people per year die of the flu. Until we start to see similar numbers, I think we run the risk of making much ado about a relative nothing.

The fear with this particular virus is the % infected. Which could be considerably higher than a the normal flu virus. So the number of deaths may increase in relation to the number of infected. Yes I know I just basically described a pandemic. I'm unsure how this will unfold. Will need to wait a few months for the virsu to fully spread to see the final outcome. It's still early.

Agree.The mainstream media is hyperventilating on this per usual. May get worse now with the first US fatality.

I'm waiting for the fashion/designer masks..you know its coming. :cool:

kissinger is going to get his genocide plan after all. how nice that we have a monster like that advising the magic negro.

kissinger is going to get his genocide plan after all. how nice that we have a monster like that advising the magic negro.

While I'm certainly not a fan of Kissinger, the knowledge that you & I are just about the same age never fails to amaze me. I feel bad for you. Really. At the same time, your posts make me feel better about my own sometimes-anger-fueled rants. "Magic negro"? You're a racist dipshit. You should be ashamed of yourself, man.
dB

Normal Flu causes 500,000 deaths per year already, and no one is wearing masks now?

People are lemmings and the media are whores.

I'm going to the zoo to pet a pig, and while I'm there I'll feed the birds.

Two confirmed cases in my Massachusetts town today. It's two little kids who went to Mexico on vacation. They're home with their mother and apparently don't require hospitalization.

I gotta say, it feels weirder when it's closer to home.

Again, "possibly". Face it, you're freaking out over something that NEVER HAPPENED. Okay, so they screwed up but a third party caught it? You think that's rare or something? I guarantee it's more common than you think (both the screwing up part and the catching part). As long as someone does catch it (and steps are taken to try and prevent it in future) I don't care how it happened. Catastrophes that might have been are of little interest to me.

And last time I checked, bird flu wasn't a bio-weapon, it was bird flu.

Also I don't take flu shots as a matter of course, so I don't plan on taking this one either, should there be one.

You seriously don't take an issue with the WHO going to Baxter for a vaccine after knowing how bad they fucked up just a few months ago? "Oh well, they almost caused the deaths of millions of people because they are totally inpet. What's the big deal?" Ho-hum.

It was worked on in a lab as a weapon. It was a bio-weapon, not just a normal strain of bird flu. Companies and governments work on that stuff all the time. It just doesn't usually wind up in shots, well not just usually, but never.

This from stratfor:

"
Mexico’s casualty figures on the issue have been maddeningly inconsistent. As of two days ago, the Mexican Health Ministry reported over 150 deaths believed to be related to the swine flu. But only 20 of those deaths had been confirmed to be flu-related, and on April 29 that number was revised down to only seven. There is still a lack of information regarding the particulars about this new pathogen; but if it has killed only seven people after two months of spreading in a country with somewhat limited health care services, perhaps its virulence is not so harsh after all, even if its communicability is impressive. Bear in mind that every year 36,000 Americans are killed by “normal” flu strains — a figure that averages out to 100 a day. "

It's funny that in many other threads we see that people have this mentality that we are insignificant little nothings. And people even remark how we could be wiped out in an instant. But no one, so far as I have read, seems the bit concerned about this thing. Maybe it is nothing, or not much of anything. On the other hand, maybe this is the start of something big.

I don't know, but it is beginning to concern me a bit more as the days pass. Now we have a death in the US. Now it has been detected in Indiana, my state. I have little kids. It is becoming a bit more real for me now.

Is anyone the least bit concerned?? Or am I just buying into the "hype". Because maybe, for once, it isn't just hype. I mean if we put things into perspective, is it beyond reason and biology that a mutant virus strain can put a smackdown on a large portion of humanity?? Sure it is early, but isn't anyone out there a bit nervous??

Bear in mind that every year 36,000 Americans are killed by “normal” flu strains — a figure that averages out to 100 a day. "

Man, just read this Schuyler. That has put some perspective to it. It's hard to believe 36,000 die each year. That is staggering. 200,000 hospitalized. ..... Still wonder how this will play out.

Back