• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Swine Flu

Free episodes:

Kevin Daly

Skilled Investigator
I got up this morning, checked the news...and the swine flu situation seems to be spiralling out of control. It's here even.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20090426/swine-flu-world/

It doesn't help that the symptoms don't seem remarkable at all...most people probably wouldn't even see a doctor (and many people around the world can't afford to).

Here's hoping that infected people are identified and given appropriate treatment (and isolation) in time.
Otherwise we're a bit fucked.

Over a thousand people have caught it. 61 went belly-up. I can gamble those odds.

Is that globally? 1000 out of 6.5 billion? That qualifies as "pandemic" in this day and age? SARS was more dangerous for fucks sakes!

Pass me the dice!

they are worried that this flu has the potential to go pandemic. That's why all the press. It started as a bird flu and was passed to pigs. Any way it has all the signs. The thing that makes them sit up and notice is when the people that die from it are young and strong. other wise they wouldn't really sit up and notice a flu that killed the old and weak or babies for that matter. And another marker is that flu season is pretty much over now and that is another thing that has them upset.
So flus like this are always good to take seriously. At least to keep an eye on.

I'm on my county's emergency management list by virtue of being a HAM radio operator. They sent us the following, which I thought might be of interest on several levels. 1.) It's very funny in places. 2.) It shows how our local government is reacting. 3.) Who knows? It might even be useful. Not sure about #3. The formatting is a little difficult because it went from Word to Notepad to here:

April 28, 2009

Dear Kitsap County Residents and Employees,

The Kitsap County Health District (KCHD) is in close contact with the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regarding swine influenza in parts of the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The district is working closely with our partners around the state to monitor cases of pneumonia and influenza to see if they’re due to this new infection. Health care providers and laboratories in Washington have been asked to watch for influenza, especially in people who traveled to Mexico or other affected areas.

What is swine flu?

Influenza A viruses causes illness in humans and many animals.

* Some influenza A viruses are adapted to pigs and cause respiratory illness in them, and so have been called “swine flu.”
* Viruses that cause swine flu do not normally infect humans, although rare human infections with swine flu have occurred.
* The swine influenza virus that is being investigated now is different than the virus that causes illness in pigs and is not being transmitted from pigs to humans. This new swine flu influenza virus appears to be more able to be transmitted person-to-person.
* Human symptoms for this new type of swine flu are similar to the symptoms of regular human influenza that happens every year. Those include fever, cough and sore throat. In addition, fatigue, lack of appetite, runny nose, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea have been reported.
* The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has determined that the swine flu virus causing mild illness in some states is the same strain as the virus causing an outbreak of respiratory illness among humans in some areas of Mexico.

Are there cases of this new swine influenza in Washington state or Kitsap County?

* There are no known cases of swine influenza in people in Washington so far.
* There are no known cases of swine influenza in people in Kitsap County so far.
* Local health care providers and labs have been asked to be on the look out for influenza A cases, especially in people who recently traveled to Mexico or states with cases of human swine flu.
* The Department of Health has not seen an increase in the number of flu cases in Washington.

Can people catch this new swine flu from eating pork?

* No. This new swine influenza virus is not transmitted by food. It is transmitted from person-to-person like human influenza viruses.
* You can not get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked pork and a pork product is safe.

Current status of outbreak

* As of April 28, 2009, about 64 cases of swine flu infections have been confirmed in people living in five states: California; Texas; Kansas; New York City, and Ohio. No deaths due to this virus have been found in the United States. (See CDC website for current information - www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm.) Cases have also been confirmed in Canada.
* Swine flu infections have been documented in Mexico, but it is not yet known if all of the fatal or hospitalized respiratory illness cases are actually due to this swine flu. This is being investigated.
What can people do to avoid getting sick?
* There are no known cases in Washington State but precautions to avoid transmitting respiratory illnesses should be taken.
* This new swine flu virus is spread person-to-person. Infection occurs when the virus gets into the airways and lungs. However, it isn’t known how easily the virus spreads. As with any infectious disease that is spread through the human respiratory system, health officials recommended the following precautions:
-- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it;
-- Wash your hands often with soap and water frequently, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective;
-- Try to avoid close contact with sick people;
-- If you get sick, stay home and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them;
-- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
-- These are the same precautions that should be taken to stop transmitting all influenza viruses and other viruses that are transmitted from the respiratory tract.

How do people get it?

* Although this new virus has been called “swine flu virus,” it is not transmitted from pigs to humans. It is transmitted person-to-person.
* Flu and other respiratory infections are transmitted when people cough and sneeze, spreading germs through the air, or onto surfaces that others can come in contact with.

Will government be issuing a travel advisory?

* The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a travelers’ health notice for Mexico and states where there have been swine influenza cases. This is to inform travelers that an outbreak of respiratory illness is occurring and that precautions should be taken. The CDC recommends that U.S. travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico.
* Travelers should follow the same precautionary measures that are recommended to protect against seasonal influenza – frequent hand washing, covering coughs and sneezes, and staying home when ill. For more information about the CDC health notice and travel precautions go to http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm#travel

What do I do if I’ve been to Mexico or the U.S. and I have symptoms of a respiratory illness?

* If you have recently been to Mexico or affected areas in the U.S. and have symptoms of influenza such as fever, cough, and sore throat, you should contact your health care provider to discuss your symptoms. Make sure to tell your health care professional about your travel history.

Are there medicines to treat swine flu?

* Yes, there are effective medicines to treat all human influenza viruses and this new swine influenza virus.
* Whether a person with influenza needs to take one of these medicines is a decision that must be made by the patient and their health care provider.
* These medicines are generally used to prevent serious flu complications such as pneumonia and work best if started soon after getting sick (within 2 days of symptoms).
* In addition, in special situations, these medicines may be used to prevent a person from getting ill or infected from this new swine flu.
* A vaccine to prevent people from getting this new type of flu has not yet been developed.

What Is the Kitsap County Health District (KCHD) Doing to Prepare?

1. We are keeping the medical community informed as new information is received:

* We receive 24 hour State Department of Health (DOH) alerts whenever new information from the Center for Disease Control or the World Health Organization is available.
* We will provide timely information from these updates to medical providers, emergency rooms, urgent cares and other health care organizations so they will know how to respond if they see patients who might have the swine flu.
* We are also participating in daily conference calls with DOH and Public Health Districts throughout Washington State to ensure that we are informed and ready to respond collectively if the need arises.
* We are updating our website and our emergency information line as new information becomes available so that everyone in the community can take appropriate actions to keep themselves and their families safe.
* We are receiving stockpiles of both masks and antiviral medications to use as needed.

2. If a swine flu emergency occurred that affected our community, the KCHD will:

* Work with Kitsap County Department of Emergency Management and other community partners to identify the vaccinations or medications necessary to protect the public.
* Investigate cases of the flu in order to stop their spread and possibly issuing orders for isolation/quarantine, school closure or other social distancing precautions to keep as many people well as possible.
* Deliver health alerts and treatment guidelines to health care providers who may need to treat unexpectedly large numbers of sick people.
* Communicating alerts and instructions to the general public through local media, our website and our Health Information Line (877-256-4859).
Where I can find more information?
* Centers for Disease Control hotline at 1-800-CDC-INFO (232-4636).
* The travel health notice for Mexico and areas of the United states issued by the CDC can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm#travel
* Additional information can be found at:
-- Kitsap County Health District Webpage at http://www.kitsapcountyhealth.com/
-- Washington state Department of Health www.doh.wa.gov
-- U.S. Centers for Disease Control at www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm;
-- World Health Organization www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html.

Here's what a doctor thinks about it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TB5-Y08qbjo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TB5-Y08qbjo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Here's what a doctor who can't resist the urge to use this issue as a platform to promote his conservative/libertarian position thinks about it" you mean.

Governments NEVER get smaller. It's a pipe dream, so stop smoking it because you're just wasting time and killing braincells.

While not minimizing the possible threat that this outbreak may pose, I was watching the media's non-stop coverage yesterday, and I couldn't help but think that they are massively over-egging the pudding, as my British friends might say. If there's a panic, they'll be the ones who cause it, all in the name of ratings, and creating news. There was the NBC anchor on Sunday talking to the head of the CDC, and his question was (I paraphrase): "If a pandemic breaks out, what would it look like?" Clearly, he wanted an answer along the lines of "we could see millions of deaths in a worst case scenario". Instead, what he got was a reasoned and responsible answer from the head of the CDC - we're concerned, we're monitoring developments with other health agencies worldwide, but there's no reason to panic. Undeterred, the anchor again asked, "but if a pandemic breaks out..." and again the CDC head replied that there was no cause to panic, but didn't give the lurid details the anchor so clearly wanted. Evetually, he gave up. I found the whole exchange revolting.

Also, a stat worth considering - in Canada, about 4,000 people per year die of the flu. Until we start to see similar numbers, I think we run the risk of making much ado about a relative nothing.

If you caught last night's The Daily Show Paul, they had a clip of someone on CNN pointing to a global map on their big-ass wall of screens and he was literally saying "Potentially tens of millions of deaths".

That was followed immediately by several more clips of talkng heads adding "But we don't want to freak people out!"

And those face masks... do they actually work? Anyone know?

Just read a thing on that. Short answer: No. they can prevent 'droplets' from you getting out, but they do absolutely nothing for the finer particles coming your way (like from an energetic sneeze). If you want that level of protection you need a respirator. If I can find that article I'll edit this and post the link.

edit: well, looks like opinion varies: http://afludiary.blogspot.com/2009/04/cdc-releases-interim-facemask-guidance.html

edit 2: More info: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/04/28/f-flumasks.html

If one consumes about a 1/4 oz of 'DRIED' caps from amanita muscaria mushrooms it will wipe out many viruses.
No joking.
-It must be either dried or cooked.
-One may not consume 'ANYTHING CARBONATED' a few hours before and a few hours after ingestion.
Follow these rules and it is Good Medicine.
Break these rules and you will very likely get sick and your brain might act funny. Not 'funny' as in 'ha-ha,' ...funny as in 'I shouldn't have eaten that thing raw and then gulped down a Mountain Dew and then gone jogging nude.'
I don't think I've suffered a bug in (knock on wood) 8 or 10 years or so. Star anise is another easily obtainable virus-stomper.
Don't forget broccoli-sprouts.
Also raw carrots and grapes. They are good sources of monoatomic minerals. They'll cure what ails ya'.

While not minimizing the possible threat that this outbreak may pose, I was watching the media's non-stop coverage yesterday, and I couldn't help but think that they are massively over-egging the pudding, as my British friends might say. If there's a panic, they'll be the ones who cause it, all in the name of ratings, and creating news. There was the NBC anchor on Sunday talking to the head of the CDC, and his question was (I paraphrase): "If a pandemic breaks out, what would it look like?" Clearly, he wanted an answer along the lines of "we could see millions of deaths in a worst case scenario". Instead, what he got was a reasoned and responsible answer from the head of the CDC - we're concerned, we're monitoring developments with other health agencies worldwide, but there's no reason to panic. Undeterred, the anchor again asked, "but if a pandemic breaks out..." and again the CDC head replied that there was no cause to panic, but didn't give the lurid details the anchor so clearly wanted. Evetually, he gave up. I found the whole exchange revolting.

Also, a stat worth considering - in Canada, about 4,000 people per year die of the flu. Until we start to see similar numbers, I think we run the risk of making much ado about a relative nothing.
I agree with everything you have just said 100%.
But also keep in mind that the people that died in Mexico are mostly young and healthy, and It is fair weather. If the weather were crappy I think this could be way more serious. It's probly good fortune it's happening this time of year.

Schyuler,
This is what I recieved a few days ago.
This is an official​
CDC Health Advisory​
Distributed via Health Alert Network
April 25, 2009, 3:00 EST (03:00 PM EDT)
CDCHAN-000281-2009-04-25-ALT-N
Investigation and Interim Recommendations:
Swine Influenza (H1N1)​
CDC, in collaboration with public health officials in California and Texas, is investigating cases of febrile respiratory illness caused by swine influenza (H1N1) viruses. As of 11 AM (EDT) April 25, 2009, 8 laboratory confirmed cases of Swine Influenza infection have been confirmed in the United States. Four cases have been reported in San Diego County, California. Two cases have been reported in Imperial County California. Two cases have been reported in Guadalupe County, Texas. Of the 8 persons with available data, illness onsets occurred March 28-April 14, 2009. Age range was 7-54 y.o. Cases are 63% male.
The viruses contain a unique combination of gene segments that have not been reported previously among swine or human influenza viruses in the U.S. or elsewhere.
At this time, CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for the treatment of infection with swine influenza viruses. The H1N1 viruses are resistant to amantadine and rimantadine but not to oseltamivir or zanamivir. It is not anticipated that the seasonal influenza vaccine will provide protection against the swine flu H1N1 viruses.
CDC has also been working closely with public health officials in Mexico, Canada and the World Health Organization (WHO). Mexican public health authorities have reported increased levels of respiratory disease, including reports of severe pneumonia cases and deaths, in recent weeks. CDC is assisting public health authorities in Mexico by testing specimens and providing epidemiological support. As of 11:00 AM (EDT) April 25, 2009, 7 specimens from Mexico at CDC have tested positive for the same strain of swine influenza A (H1N1) as identified in U.S. cases. However, no clear data are available to assess the link between the increased disease reports in Mexico and the confirmation of swine influenza in a small number of specimens. WHO is monitoring international cases. Further information on international cases may be found at: WHO | Influenza-like illness in the United States and Mexico
Clinicians should consider swine influenza infection in the differential diagnosis of patients with febrile respiratory illness and who 1) live in San Diego or Imperial counties, California, or Guadalupe County, Texas, or traveled to these counties or 2) who traveled recently to Mexico or were in contact with persons who had febrile respiratory illness and were in one of the three U.S. counties or Mexico during the 7 days preceding their illness onset.
Patients who meet these criteria should be tested for influenza, and specimens positive for influenza should be sent to public health laboratories for further characterization. Clinicians who suspect swine influenza virus infections in humans should obtain a nasopharyngeal swab from the patient, place the swab in a viral transport medium, refrigerate the specimen, and then contact their state or local health department to facilitate transport and timely diagnosis at a state public health laboratory. CDC requests that state public health laboratories promptly send all influenza A specimens that cannot be subtyped to the CDC, Influenza Division, Virus Surveillance and Diagnostics Branch Laboratory
Persons with febrile respiratory illness should stay home from work or school to avoid spreading infections (including influenza and other respiratory illnesses) to others in their communities. In addition, frequent hand washing can lessen the spread of respiratory illness.
CDC has not recommended that people avoid travel to affected areas at this time. Recommendations found at Outbreak Notice: Swine Influenza in the United States | CDC Travelers' Health will help travelers reduce risk of infection and stay healthy.
Clinical guidance on laboratory safety, case definitions, infection control and information for the public are available at:CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu) Investigation.
<DIR><DIR>Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Biosafety Guidelines for Laboratory Workers: CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Biosafety Guidelines for Laboratory Workers

Interim Guidance for Infection Control for Care of Patients with Confirmed or Suspected Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection in a Healthcare Setting: CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Interim Guidance for Infection Control for Care of Patients with Confirmed or Suspected Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection in a Healthcare Setting
Interim Guidance on Case Definitions for Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Human Case Investigations: CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Interim Guidance on Case Definitions for Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Human Case Investigations
</DIR></DIR>
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports Dispatch (April 24) provide detailed information about the initial cases at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm58d0424a1.htm
For more information about swine flu: CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)
Additional information is also available by calling 1-800-CDC-INFO (1-800-232-4636)

I also recieved a PDF from the state that had advisories also, But I can't get it to load for some reason. Says it's too big but I don't know how to change that.
If you want to see it I can probly email it to you.

The "flu" itself is overhyped and fearmongered by all accounts. At least at this point with that data put out there. If the paranoia is based on information that is not being shared then it is another thing. So far, I don't see it though.

What is concerning to me is that the World Heatlh Orgainization has put that at "level 4" which to most people means nothing. It means it is close to calling it a global pandemic. What follows that is not something that people will like IMO.

Another very "creepy" thing to this issue is the WHO has said that Baxter International will be the company working on the vaccine for those infected. Baxter was caught 6 weeks ago with releasing actual bird flu in their bird flu vaccines. Putting such an inpet company that literally almost killed MILLIONS of people by causing a pandemic in Europe not even two months ago with their unconscionable protocols is pretty concerning to me. Far more concerning then the actual "flu" itself IMO.

Back