• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Spook Freaks out the Ghostbusters

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
by Jerry Lawton ARTICLE HERE:
[They must have forgotten to bring Scooby-doo along-- chris]

A FRIGHTENED family fled their home after a poltergeist scrawled “Move” on a window.

But when Emma Keeitch called in ghostbusters in a bid to eject the malevolent spirit, they also ran off terrified. Paranormal investigator Steve Kneeshaw said: “I have done many investigations but this is the worst one yet. It even freaked me out. It was a very intense evening. Some of what happened was totally bizarre.”

Emma, 31, and partner Jamie Owen, 25, left home with four-month-old daughter Phoebie after waking up to discover “Move” written in the condensation on their bedroom window. It was the final straw after a series of mys-terious happenings – including radios suddenly switching on, pictures spinning round on the wall and even a plank of wood flying through the air.

Investigators Elliott Ainley and Kellie Taylor joined Steve to investigate the weird goings-on. But the experience was so intense that Kellie fled herself after being slapped by a spirit. A TV remote control was thrown across the room and bedding moved by itself during the investigation.

Elliott said: “The house definitely has poltergeist activity. There are two spirits haunting the house, a mother and a baby. The mother seems particularly angry, which is why objects are thrown about. The master bedroom proved to be a very active area. All three of us were in this room calling out for the spirit when I had a TV remote control thrown across the room at me.”

Now retired Church of England clergyman the Rev Tom Willis has been called in to exorcise the house in Hull. He said: “Hauntings are usually lonely spirits that have refused to move on. What I do brings relief to both the spirit and those bothered by it.”

Now retired Church of England clergyman the Rev Tom Willis has been called in to exorcise the house in Hull. He said: “Hauntings are usually lonely spirits that have refused to move on. What I do brings relief to both the spirit and those bothered by it.”

This probably sounds kinda dumb. But when I hear stories like this or watch things like My Ghost Story (which has become a guilty pleasure) I think about things like. "Why would gravity have any effect on a spirit (whatever that actually is) and keep it on the earth and in a particular spot?" "Wouldn't it be outside of the influence of gravity and just be left behind in space as the earth orbits the sun?" "Wouldn't the thing have to expend a great deal of energy just to stay in a particular house so as to haunt it?" "Are we anthropomorphizing a phenomena which is real but in no way related to human beings other than in our perception of it?"

This probably sounds kinda dumb. But when I hear stories like this or watch things like My Ghost Story (which has become a guilty pleasure) I think about things like. "Why would gravity have any effect on a spirit (whatever that actually is) and keep it on the earth and in a particular spot?" "Wouldn't it be outside of the influence of gravity and just be left behind in space as the earth orbits the sun?" "Wouldn't the thing have to expend a great deal of energy just to stay in a particular house so as to haunt it?" "Are we anthropomorphizing a phenomena which is real but in no way related to human beings other than in our perception of it?"

In order for us to see something it has to reflect light. can an apparition reflect light?

In order for us to see something it has to reflect light. can an apparition reflect light?

I think if we use the word apparition as I think you correctly do here, we have realize that it may only exist as an effect within the mind of the observer and not as a light reflecting object in the outside world.

Or emit light, we see stars they dont reflect light

and

Simple explanation
In simple terms, phosphorescence is a process in which energy absorbed by a substance is released relatively slowly in the form of light. This is in some cases the mechanism used for "glow-in-the-dark" materials which are "charged" by exposure to light. Unlike the relatively swift reactions in a common fluorescent tube, phosphorescent materials used for these materials absorb the energy and "store" it for a longer time as the processes required to re-emit the light occur less often.
Quantum mechanical explanation

Most photoluminescent events, in which a chemical substrate absorbs and then re-emits a photon of light, are fast, on the order of 10 nanoseconds. Light is absorbed and emitted at these fast time scales in cases where the energy of the photons involved matches the available energy states and allowed transitions of the substrate. In the special case of phosphorescence, the absorbed photon energy undergoes an unusual intersystem crossing into an energy state of higher spin multiplicity (see term symbol), usually a triplet state. As a result, the energy can become trapped in the triplet state with only classically "forbidden" transitions available to return to the lower energy state. These transitions, although "forbidden", will still occur in quantum mechanics but are kinetically unfavored and thus progress at significantly slower time scales. Most phosphorescent compounds are still relatively fast emitters, with triplet lifetimes on the order of milliseconds. However, some compounds have triplet lifetimes up to minutes or even hours, allowing these substances to effectively store light energy in the form of very slowly degrading excited electron states. If the phosphorescent quantum yield is high, these substances will release significant amounts of light over long time scales, creating so-called "glow-in-the-dark" materials.

Interesting questions, but I have already heard some possible answers on gravity.
The ghosts mind still thinks it's alive and, like in The Matrix, the mind makes the rules....makes it real for the ghosts.

OR, could there in fact be a ring of ghosts left behind by the orbit of the earth? Or the solar system in orbit around the galactic center? And even the galaxy is moving through space.
We've left a trail of ghosts throughout interstellar space?

Now that's about the creepiest and most frightening thing I've heard lately. What if we all end up that way? *violent shudder*

Deep thoughts by Jack Handy moments here: and I want to participate. Yeah, I've had similar thoughts listening to narratives about ghostly encounters and spirit forms in general. Forget about the more complex notions of gravity and ghostly exospheres, I'm stuck on ghost 101 issues. What about the common conception about ghosts doddering about in the clothes they wore when they died, or lingering about smoking cigarettes and pipes? Ghost tobacco? Is there a market in the afterlife for this? And the common conception that ghosts whom experienced traumatic deaths are jettisoned off into the afterlife bearing the scars they passed with? Spirit conforms to a place and moment in time...? This seems completely contradictory to prevailing theories of soul found in religious systems. And what about babies whom have died being scuttled off into the afterlife to fend for themselves? What the hell kind of Kosmology would have to be in place for that to make sense? Ok, I'm done for now.

I've had some "lucid" dreams and gotten some information that "some" experts say is impossible so I am open to the idea of spirtual reality. I also have eaten and drank and gotten drunk and gotten full and worn clothes in dreams. So, the idea that the spirit or mind might manifest (at least for a time) those things is at least feasible. Now, for the record I'm not saying that I 'believe" that is what's happening. I honestly don't know. But, I do like to speculate. Kind of like when I was young on those 'beery" southern nights when we would look up at the stars and "explain" the cosmos. :)

Back