• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

So who among you has actually had a sighting?

Would PLAYFUL be a fair description?

Absolutely !

Have you had this impression too ? Have you posted your experiences somewhere in this forum ? I would like to know, especially if you also have had this type of humorous apparitions, I have never come across this aspect among experiencers ...

If you have time please check the "Advice seeked..." thread I started and tell me if it relates to your experiences ...

I wouldn't know where to begin. I've seen spheres/orbs of all colors small red & blue ones that dart around, medium sized orange ones that tend to appear around mutilation sites, a huge green fireball in '91 that flew up the Sangres, a small scout ship that flew right in front of our car—150' away, a wedge-shaped object that flew across the road, about 2 to 3 miles away that did a falling leaf style descent to the ground, a 4 foot grayish colored sphere that flew up my road exhibiting some kind of terrain following ability, yada yada on and on and on. They are all found in my database here: Move to the SLV and you will undoubtedly see weird things in the sky, if you look, of course!

So, I'm standing on my back Deck in the town of Waukee, Iowa last night [6/24/2010 APRX 10:15 CST] waiting for my dog to pee so I could take her back in and go to bed.

I look up and as I glance to the west south west I see a very bright white light moving in a easterly direction (toward me, toward Des Moines proper). The brightness is what caught my eye at first.

It was traveling (as near as I can figure) in a straight line toward the east, perhaps east, north east. No green/red aircraft lights as one would see on an airliner. In fact I saw a jet liner flying to the east far above this object.

I am not good at estimating altitude but it, and as such I have a hard time telling you how big this thing was. But the jet liner moving east above this thing looked to be more than twice as high, that's the impresson I got anyway.

So I figured, it's an airplane with it's landing lights on and the landing lights are washing out the red/green strobes so that I can't see them. The thing keeps moving east and the light doesn't die out at all.

If it were an aircraft landing light, it would be directional. You might see it very brightly as the aircraft was moving toward you but it would become more difficult to see as the plane moved over and started moving away from you.

But this is what happened. The thing moved over where I was standing, perhaps to the south a bit but clearly over the city of Des Moines, then it kept moving at the same rate of speed BUT it began moving (or at least the light did) in a slightly, nearly unnoticable zig zag way.

Mind you, I can see nothing but the bright white light. I see no craft/structure, no wings, nothing but the light. And the light continues to move in an easterly direction until I lose sight of it behind the roofline of the other houses behind mine. It moved in a straight tac, in a slightly zig zag manner and stayed at a steady speed. It wasn't very fast at all. The jet liner above it overtook it easily.

It made no noise that I could hear but it might have been too far away and it appeared to be illuminated all the way around. In other words, the light stayed bright, no matter the angle in which I viewed the thing.

I doubt it was a helicopter because if it was it was too high and even if it was, what's with the 360 degree illumination effect? Even those super bright spotlights on helicopters are directional.

I tried taking a picture of it, but my crappy cell phone camera is all I had close and all you could see was a white spot on a black background, it didn't tell the story at all. By the time I could have gone in and gotten my good camera, come out, set it up and get the shot, the thing would have been gone.

So, whatever this thing was, I remember thinking that the airliner flying above might not have been able to see it because of the illumination from the city below, but who knows? The if the airliner did see it, he didn't alter his course or anything so it must not have concerned him. But the thing was very bright, in comparison to the stars, it was easily noticable at first glance and very easy to track.

All told, it crossed the sky (from rooftops to the west to roofline in the east) in about 90-120 seconds. I remember distinctly thinking that whatever I was seeing wasn't normal so I made a point to watch it intently (another reason I didn't go for the good camera). It was right after I made this decision that it started to zig-zag (again, everso slightly) and I remember thinking...WTF? The zig-zagging was just enough to be noticable and just discrete enough to make me question what I saw.

Now I try rationalizing and explaining it away as any number of plausible explanations. But the fact that it was #1 so bright #2 had no red/greens #3 moving relatively slowly compared with the air traffic above it #4 IT FUCKING ZIG ZAGGED. As I remember this thing, I'm thinking: "It couldn't have zig-zagged, that's not possible, I must have been seeing things, I misinterpreded it some how", but I KNOW I saw the thing zig-zag!

So tell me I'm not crazy! Explain this thing to me. I know what it was not...It wasn't a balloon. I know it wasn't the space station, a meteor or a satelite...a jet linter flew OVER it. Further, I seriously doubt that it was a helicopter. I was a flight medic for some years and I know rotor-craft, especially the medical rotor-craft in this area. The flight path didn't make sense (for a medical helicopter anyway). It came from out of town and bypassed all hospitals and went back out of town to the east. Plus, the bright white light wasn't directional, it remained bright no matter what angle I could see it from.

Maybe it was military, but our Air Guard base is south of where this thing flew...it wasn't on approach to DSM International, it was WAY too far north, it didn't descend, it didn't appear to change direction. It certainly didn't just take off from there either. I suppose it could have been like a private plane/jet or even a military jet, but I could hear NOTHING and what's with the light? Let alone the ZIG ZAGGING!!!???

I am stunned guys. What the hell was that thing?
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I live in Dallas, TX...near a very large Airport (DFW obviously for those of you who know) -- one night saw probably the weirdest suspected IFO I had ever seen. Basically over the Airport Frwy \ George Bush Turnpike interchange, I saw a very large motionless craft hovering over the interchange as I was approaching from the north. As I crossed the apex of the highest bridge I got closer to the nearly motionless craft. There were no lights on inside the windows--clearly it appeared as a 727 (or similar) cargo plane with most of its internal lights off (perhaps in the cabin). I actually slowed my vehicle to a crawl to see if I could hear the sound of its airbrakes or engines -- the plane was flying north into a 30-40 mph gusting headwind, so that might have explained its speed ( or lack thereof--which was heightened by fore-shortening and my general nighttime disorientation).

I didn't hear any sound aside from the wind as it flew overhead (probably only a few hundred feet overhead) -- but it was the weirdest IFO I'd ever seen.

Many aerial phenomenon usually lights moving in unconventional ways eg not satellite, not aircraft. Every summer I try to get out the city and go camping in Wiltshire, southern England. Whilst there you're usually garanteed to see at least one bizarre thing. The area is surrounded by MOD testing ranges so some sightings could be flares or military drones? In 2007 Two Amber coloured oblong lights dancing above the hedge a hundred yards in front of the tent. No sound... And in a field nowhere near a road or country lane so it wasn't street lights. I didn't feel like investigating much, watched it for ten minutes, closed the tent, hoped it would go away.
Found some radial burn marks at the edges of another field last year. The indentations had been formed by something heavy spinning causing the grass to burn from friction. This was at the edges of a field with a big crop formation in it. The burnt circular patches may have been caused by farm machinery of course and unconnected, and the crop art man made. However me and others have witnessed strange moving lights more than once there.

Many aerial phenomenon usually lights moving in unconventional ways eg not satellite, not aircraft. Every summer I try to get out the city and go camping in Wiltshire, southern England. Whilst there you're usually garanteed to see at least one bizarre thing. The area is surrounded by MOD testing ranges so some sightings could be flares or military drones? In 2007 Two Amber coloured oblong lights dancing above the hedge a hundred yards in front of the tent. No sound... And in a field nowhere near a road or country lane so it wasn't street lights. I didn't feel like investigating much, watched it for ten minutes, closed the tent, hoped it would go away.
Found some radial burn marks at the edges of another field last year. The indentations had been formed by something heavy spinning causing the grass to burn from friction. This was at the edges of a field with a big crop formation in it. The burnt circular patches may have been caused by farm machinery of course and unconnected, and the crop art man made. However me and others have witnessed strange moving lights more than once there.

Have you brought a good camera to take some pictures or video? Since you're assured to usually see something weird, it would be a good opportunity to have the equipment to document it.
I usually have my camera ready just in case something interesting comes up - there was a Great Blue Heron on a roof near my house two weeks ago. No one would have believed me without pictures - Now I just wish that I had a better lens.

I've had a few sightings, but this one was the icing on the cake for me. I cannot explain this one off rationally. It occurred just as my daughter's softball practice was ending. Six adults and about 12 children saw a triangular-shaped object fly in quickly (as in blink-of-an-eye quckly) directly overhead and shoot off in a 45 degree angle, without slowing down or turning. It was absolutely silent. It had a soft white glow, with four blue lights, one small one at each corner and a larger one in the middle. It was not far over the treetops when it approached, and if it landed, it would probably be about the size of an average house. Total time elapsed, probably 15 seconds tops. I was in such awe it seemed like time slowed down just so I could take it all in. Nobody wanted to discuss it at all after it happened. It's amazing the effect something like this can have on us.

Nobody wanted to discuss it at all after it happened. It's amazing the effect something like this can have on us.

It's amazing what happens to us when we encounter something out of our normal paradigm. I think children have it easier, not having been subject to years of socialization and the mores and folkways that accompany the "becoming adult" stages of life.

I saw the Hudson Valley UFO in Ridgefield, CT in 1983. So unimaginably huge, scared me to the bone. Couldn't fathom how something that gigantic could float in the air. It was hovering at a standstill when I saw it from fairly close range.

I saw the Hudson Valley UFO in Ridgefield, CT in 1983. So unimaginably huge, scared me to the bone. Couldn't fathom how something that gigantic could float in the air. It was hovering at a standstill when I saw it from fairly close range.

Camp, would be awesome if you could elaborate a bit, shape and all. And thanks. :)

Have you brought a good camera to take some pictures or video? Since you're assured to usually see something weird, it would be a good opportunity to have the equipment to document it.
I usually have my camera ready just in case something interesting comes up - there was a Great Blue Heron on a roof near my house two weeks ago. No one would have believed me without pictures - Now I just wish that I had a better lens.

A shaky spec of light in the dark on youtube isn't really proof of anything. I took a picture of the burn mark at the edge of the field next day. Here it is:
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/113/l_f6b4e301019d4c91aed2c6d877e773f6.jpg
I'm not really trying to convince any one. I'm interested in this stuff. I keep an open mind. I enjoy listening to the Paracast. That's it. I can give you the map co-ordinates, you could go there with your own camera.

A shaky spec of light in the dark on youtube isn't really proof of anything. I took a picture of the burn mark at the edge of the field next day. Here it is:
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/113/l_f6b4e301019d4c91aed2c6d877e773f6.jpg
I'm not really trying to convince any one. I'm interested in this stuff. I keep an open mind. I enjoy listening to the Paracast. That's it. I can give you the map co-ordinates, you could go there with your own camera.

How large would you say that burn mark is?

Honestly, I'd say that there are ways to explain that without moving into the world of the paranormal. To me, it looks like someone had a fire going there.

Honestly, I'd say that there are ways to explain that without moving into the world of the paranormal. To me, it looks like someone had a fire going there.

I thought that at first, but I don't recall ever seeing a fire that creates a counterclockwise swirling pattern from a simple campfire. Further, if it had been a campfire, the tufts of grass in the middle would have been consumed in the flames. Regardless, the photo does back up the witness observation.

I thought that at first, but I don't recall ever seeing a fire that creates a counterclockwise swirling pattern from a simple campfire. Further, if it had been a campfire, the tufts of grass in the middle would have been consumed in the flames. Regardless, the photo does back up the witness observation.

Oh yes, it does back up what he says, but again, that doesn't prove that anything paranormal happened, right?

Hi Xylo,
The radial burnt patches were about a metre in diameter. Possibly caused by farm machinery that spun fast enough to bake the soil hard. However with the crop in the field so mature it was not a season for ploughing or sowing. In answer to you Angel of Ioren no one would light a fire in a farmers field of super dry corn and get away with it round there especially after half his crop has been flattened by a massive formation.

Often the edges of the fields reveal details that either confirm a hoax such as poles and flags, or add to the mystery such as this one:
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/149/l_4b54d0b4440341c29eb893d44c8230dd.jpg
At first an insignificant circle and yet how is it possible to create that without wading through the corn or reaching it through the tramlines?

Camp, would be awesome if you could elaborate a bit, shape and all. And thanks. :)

I was working the night desk at the Ridgefield YMCA. It was around 9:30 pm or so, and a member came in to workout and said, "Did you see that outside?" I said no, and went outside with him to see it.

There was a huge craft hovering above and behind the flat, former elementary school building that was then the YMCA. It looked like it might have been situated somewhere around the Ridgefield/Danbury line, called the Ridgebury area. Close by to I-84, the Danbury Mall and the world headquarters of Union Carbide (at that time). Hard to judge distance, but if I held my arm out, it would've taken a duffle bag, like a ski or hockey bag to cover it up.

Its shape reminded me of a fat manta ray with stubby wings. It was definitely a structured craft. We were viewing it from the side, but could also see some of the underside of the craft. Dull black in color, there were many lights, some white and some more of a warmer, yellowish tone - the color of normal lights. On the underside, the lights illuminated some tube-like girder structures.

It emitted a faint hum, but so quiet for the size it was really disturbing. But what really freaked me out was when I realized what I thought were lights on the side of the craft (the yellowish tone ones) were really windows - that's how huge the thing was.

We never saw anything moving inside, and the thing just sat there, still in the air. We must have watched it for ten minutes or so. It didn't do anything and we finally went inside, both shaken.

When I got off work about 45 minutes later, it was gone.

Back