• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sleep Paralysis Last Night

Chuckleberryfinn

Paranormal Maven
I awoke last night in sleep paralysis with about 8 grays in my room, one of them hovering over me, saying "reces pieces." Pretty strange. I know it's just sleep paralysis, but it's still scary when that happens.

I awoke last night in sleep paralysis with about 8 grays in my room, one of them hovering over me, saying "reces pieces." Pretty strange. I know it's just sleep paralysis, but it's still scary when that happens.
It's even scarier when it's hairy, clawed dwarves with feces-pieces.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Hey Chuckleberryfinn,

What exactly did you eat for dinner last night?? Did you by chance fall asleep watching E.T.?? ;)

All joking aside, it's very scary not being able to move or breathe well!

It's even scarier when it's hairy, clawed dwarves with feces-pieces.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Nice.

So you actually saw aliens? Creepy. I haven't had sleep paralysis for a few months, but the last time was the first time I was completely aware that it was happening. It was less fear, and more annoyance, in that I was wondering when it would be over so that I could get back to sleep.

I'm wondering how many people on that ABC show tonight will be describing an experience that is clearly sleep paralysis?

So you actually saw aliens?

Well, no. They weren't real aliens. Hallucinations often accompany sleep paralysis. It's not the first time it's happened, nor the second. Did the hallucinations look like grays? Yes, certainly. And they were floating in the air.

Pami, I ate chili for dinner. Yummy, very good, my own recipe. I did fall asleep listening to Vaeni and Ritzmann's interview with Dolan, not watching ET. That probably had everything to do with it.

The last time it happened, before this time, it was only two grays, as I recall, one of them standing in the background, throwing punches in the air, while the other tinkered with my head. I am not claiming that either of these incidents was actual alien abduction. It wasn't, I am not an abductee.

Well, no. They weren't real aliens. Hallucinations often accompany sleep paralysis. It's not the first time it's happened, nor the second. Did the hallucinations look like grays? Yes, certainly. And they were floating in the air.

Pami, I ate chili for dinner. Yummy, very good, my own recipe. I did fall asleep listening to Vaeni and Ritzmann's interview with Dolan, not watching ET. That probably had everything to do with it.

The last time it happened, before this time, it was only two grays, as I recall, one of them standing in the background, throwing punches in the air, while the other tinkered with my head. I am not claiming that either of these incidents was actual alien abduction. It wasn't, I am not an abductee.

Did it have insano peppers in it?

20070410043347the_simpsons_3f24.png

That's what I meant. I didn't think that there were actual aliens in your room. I'm highly skeptical of anybody that claims to have been abducted by aliens. I'm not calling them liars, because I don't think abductees/experiencers are lying, I just don't think that beings from another planet/dimension are doing this. I'm more inclined to think it's psychological, but that's just my opinion.

The last time I experienced sleep-paralysis, about a year ago, I saw an apparition at the foot of my bed that looked like Doc from "Back To The Future," and there was a dwarfish, dark, blobby critter on the bed. It kinda sucks while it's happening, but after I get reoriented in the waking world it seems kinda cool.

When I've experienced sleep paralysis, I've never seen anything like Aliens or ghosts or people at all.

I DO see spiders and roaches when it happens to me, tho.

(Mostly it will usually be one spider, and it will crawl right across the bed and I end up waking my poor hubby telling him there's a spider crawling towards him, lol)

When I've experienced sleep paralysis, I've never seen anything like Aliens or ghosts or people at all.

I DO see spiders and roaches when it happens to me, tho.

(Mostly it will usually be one spider, and it will crawl right across the bed and I end up waking my poor hubby telling him there's a spider crawling towards him, lol)

Are you bothered by spiders and roaches?
The assumption is that most people that claim to be abducted by aliens are those that are interested/afraid of the subject, which is why everyone sees more or less the same thing. Anytime someone says they were abducted from their bedroom in the middle of the night, I blame sleep paralysis or some other type of sleep disorder.

Are you bothered by spiders and roaches?
The assumption is that most people that claim to be abducted by aliens are those that are interested/afraid of the subject, which is why everyone sees more or less the same thing. Anytime someone says they were abducted from their bedroom in the middle of the night, I blame sleep paralysis or some other type of sleep disorder.

No. We have never had an actual spider or roach in our bed..if you meant do they bother as in frighten me? Yes! Lived in Fla where huge Palmetto bugs (really big roaches with wings) that would fly at me from time to time! :eek: So yeah, those are one of my fears. Where I live now, there are no (or very small ones if so) roaches.

And who likes creepy spiders?!

But it's just what I happen to always see when I am just waking up into the paralysis state. It used to happen a lot more often to me when I was suffering from severe sleep-onset insomnia, (DSPS a sleep disorder that runs in my family) but now don't suffer from that quite so much.

I once woke up to a triangular face with big black eyes, right in front of me, and it was putting pressure on my chest. Then it bit me and started to purr.

So, if I may ask question?

How does one reconcile the sometimes projected absolutism of sleep paralysis as an explanation for the phenomena with cases in which multiple witness are present, are 'non-bedroom' events, no hypnosis required, etc? Do those fall under some other catch-all explanation as well? I don't see how these views are reconciled. To go a step further, how can one believe or strongly suspect that intelligently controlled, technologically advanced aerial phenomena exist without extending it logically to that intelligence and it's likely interaction with us on a more discreet covert levels, which would logically include all venues and times of day, preferably when the taret might be in a more controllable state. It's seems like an all or nothing position.

To embrace sleep paralysis as a total explanation for the phenomena, as McNally and Clancy once again did tonight on the ABC Primetime and aptly named "Outsiders" special, isn't truly reconciled with the various scenarios outlined above. I was -not- surprised by the fact that their segment starts out with the misleading assumption that all abduction events occur while the claimant is sleeping, ergo - the sole answer is SP. All I'm saying is I feel that vibe here, understanding that this is a personal experiences post and so the OP is welcome to create any vibe they like....:)

Sorry for mine. Exposure to Clancy and McNally - and their smarmyness- make me very sensitive to even the faintest whiff of absolutism and the rest. However, I -am- interested in how these positions can be reconciled by some.

I'm highly skeptical of anybody that claims to have been abducted by aliens. I'm not calling them liars, because I don't think abductees/experiencers are lying, I just don't think that beings from another planet/dimension are doing this. I'm more inclined to think it's psychological, but that's just my opinion.

I understand your skepticism. If it hadn't happened to me over the years I would think those that claim to have been abducted have psychological disorders as well.

My hubby has experienced sleep paralysis. He saw a shadow being standing by one of the windows in our bedroom during the episode. When he finally as able to wake up he started shuffling through a drawer in his nightstand trying to get a gun. Thank goodness it wasn't there, because there would have been some holes in our wall where he saw that thing. You know, this happened in early spring when it was still cold at night. We may have eaten chili that evening! :)

So, if I may ask question?

How does one reconcile the sometimes projected absolutism of sleep paralysis as an explanation for the phenomena with cases in which multiple witness are present, are 'non-bedroom' events, no hypnosis required, etc? Do those fall under some other catch-all explanation as well? I don't see how these views are reconciled. To go a step further, how can one believe or strongly suspect that intelligently controlled, technologically advanced aerial phenomena exist without extending it logically to that intelligence and it's likely interaction with us on a more discreet covert levels, which would logically include all venues and times of day, preferably when the taret might be in a more controllable state. It's seems like an all or nothing position.

To embrace sleep paralysis as a total explanation for the phenomena, as McNally and Clancy once again did tonight on the ABC Primetime and aptly named "Outsiders" special, isn't truly reconciled with the various scenarios outlined above. I was -not- surprised by the fact that their segment starts out with the misleading assumption that all abduction events occur while the claimant is sleeping, ergo - the sole answer is SP. All I'm saying is I feel that vibe here, understanding that this is a personal experiences post and so the OP is welcome to create any vibe they like....:)

Sorry for mine. Exposure to Clancy and McNally - and their smarmyness- make me very sensitive to even the faintest whiff of absolutism and the rest. However, I -am- interested in how these positions can be reconciled by some.

In the cases where one is in his/her own room, at night, and woken from sleep to feel some sort of evil pressence or whatever the case may be, I am inclined to say that it is sleep paralysis or some other type of physiological and scientifically proven phenomenon. That's all I know though because I have had experiences with sleep paralysis, so I feel as though I can have an opinion on the matter. For those situations, that's the most logical explanation, and I'll stick to that.
As for experiences where people are fully awake and have other witnesses, well I don't/ can't have an informed opinion because I wouldn't know what I'm talking about. In those cases people can be liars, it can be an environmental phenomena because multiple parties are involved, or it can be something that we can not explain. The fact is, I don't know. All I can do is listen to what people say and separate the bullshiters from the sincere and take it from there. Unfortunately there is no physical proof of anything, and I think that aspect is probably more frustrating for the experiencer than for someone in my shoes.

I certainly didn't mean to perpetuate such an attitude. Multiple witness abduction cases, not in the bedroom, where the witnesses remember the event without hypnosis clearly does not fall under sleep paralysis. I never said otherwise. Perhaps you've got an example of such a case to help clear up the confusion for others? What is a good abduction case involving several witnesses and no regressive hypnosis?

I certainly didn't mean to perpetuate such an attitude. Multiple witness abduction cases, not in the bedroom, where the witnesses remember the event without hypnosis clearly does not fall under sleep paralysis. I never said otherwise. Perhaps you've got an example of such a case to help clear up the confusion for others? What is a good abduction case involving several witnesses and no regressive hypnosis?

I'd say the stuff that Jeff Ritzmann has experienced and spoken openly about falls into that category. He says he can not explain what has happened to him. He doesn't believe in hypnosis as a good tool for retrieving memories, so what he talks about is stuff he actually remembers. If it's true (and I doubt he's lying), his case is really interesting and terrifying.

I'd say the stuff that Jeff Ritzmann has experienced and spoken openly about falls into that category. He says he can not explain what has happened to him. He doesn't believe in hypnosis as a good tool for retrieving memories, so what he talks about is stuff he actually remembers. If it's true (and I doubt he's lying), his case is really interesting and terrifying.

Do his experiences qualify as multiple witness cases? I've never heard anyone other than Jeff Ritzmann verify that his experiences actually happened. Realize, I'm not saying that he is a liar; until his co-witnesses go on the public record, however, his experiences do not meet the established criteria.

Thanks for the answers. The post was written while I was still suffering the effects of exposure to a certain Harvard professor and his protege. Ugh.

They're rare but I think Pascagoula would count, the Salter event, even Betty and Barney (noting that they recalled a good deal prior to hypnosis). Travis Walton states he didn't recall anything under hypnosis that he didn't recall prior to going under.

Interesting to note upon rereading the thread how many SP sufferers there are posting here. I do understand that it must be strongly considered with regards to certain specific scenarios when described. However, it's been adopted by skeptics, which we saw last night, as a catchall explanation and reminds me too much of a Swamp gas/Venus type dismissal of the phenomena. Then again, it was ABC....8)

I wish J. Mack was still around to provide some balance to the McNallys and the Clancys.

*sighs*

My condolences to those here who suffer from SP.

Back