• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

show on bud hopkins

Greg M

Skilled Investigator
Last night show, though very enjoyable , and I am sure there are many things that could be followed up on at a later time, but it was disappointing that it really wasnt about Bud Hopkins - and that was a shame. I enjoyed it, but it was a let down. Chris, I hope your cold gets better soon!

I love the Paracast but I couldn't stand the condescending timber of the guest's voice. I listened for about 10 minutes and then went elsewhere.He really didn't have much info to share beyond being a cheerleader for mr. Hopkins.He said he was a general go-for.

As you might expect i really enjoyed the show, i'm looking forward to hearing him back again soon.
His own encounter was fascinating, the comments on Travis Walton mirror my own take on that case.

All and all, another gold standard podcast in the UFO genre.

Top shelf stuff

Robbins' sharp mind and great sense of humor make him a consistently good interview. I didn't read the title info on the show all that closely, and so expected him to focus primarily on Rendlesham. (my lapse) He left me with the impression that he is backing away from Rendlesham to focus on abductions. Perhaps no one could blame him. Rendlesham has become a bit of a circus. He was more polite about being blindsided by Penniston's "revelation" than most would be.

And he will do a stellar job in whatever area he chooses. Still, I hope he continues efforts to disentangle Rendlesham. "Left At East Gate" seems the most comprehensive work we have. IMO, Rendlesham is not fatally flawed. It is stranger than ever. Robbins offered what I thought were plausible explanations for increasing witness eccentricity. Penniston, Burroughs and others were indeed "meddled with" by someone or something. This is as much a part of the story as little men from Zeta R.

Overall--a great show. :)

Interesting show, I didn't know Mack got scammed by Time journalists. Just goes to show how you can't be certain about anything.

And thanks for the questions Chris. I also wasn't aware about you having a sighting of your own. Would you mind describing it a bit here?

I love the Paracast but I couldn't stand the condescending timber of the guest's voice. I listened for about 10 minutes and then went elsewhere.He really didn't have much info to share beyond being a cheerleader for mr. Hopkins.He said he was a general go-for.

not to be a hoser, but how do you know what he said if you only listened for 10 mins?

I thought it was a good show, I would have like to hear a bit more about Bud. I have read all his books and have followed him for quite some time and wished I could have gleaned a little more about such a Prolific abduction researcher.

Chris. I also wasn't aware about you having a sighting of your own. Would you mind describing it a bit here?
Which one? I've had dozens. I think you are referring to my first sighting in New Paltz, NY during the fall of 1979.

(excerpt from Secrets of the Mysterious Valley Adventures Unlimited Press 2007 pages 16-17)

In 1979, I lived in a basement apartment in the Bronx, a few blocks away from Lehman College [where I was attending school], with a roommate, a philosophy major named Gustavo. Gus and I (and the gang of students we hung-out with) were ‘70s seekers interested in all kinds of esoteric subject matter and pursuits. My fascination with the paranormal and the occult found me devouring countless books on many hidden subjects and checking out various schools of so-called secret knowledge.... [SNIP]

September 21, 1979, New Paltz, New York. College town, Upstate. My brother Brendon, a couple of friends and our girlfriends had headed north from the Big Apple to visit several friends attending SUNY New Paltz where we attended a Gentle Giant concert...[SNIP]

The show ended with a rousing finale, and our group of six friends, ranging in age between eighteen through twenty-two, headed rambunctiously down the hill to sky-watch in the center of the New Paltz athletic field, before car-pooling to a party outside of town.

I've always been a country boy at heart and it was nice to get out of the city, with its gross light pollution, breathe the fresh air and really see the glorious night sky. I laid down on my back with my hands behind my head and basked in the starlight, picking out constellations and planets. I was the one who noticed the group of objects first. Five orange points of light, high up, straight overhead, seemed to drift in the sky pretending to be stars. They were definitely 1+ magnitude in brightness and about the size of Mars. I watched for several seconds to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Sure enough, they were moving. As soon as I realized this, they stopped, then dimmed slightly. They were hiding. I felt sure for some reason, they had responded to my awareness of them.

Without taking my eyes off them, I casually mentioned the objects to the group, who initially paid no attention. They were too busy horsing around. Finally, my brother Brendon looked up long enough to confirm what I was describing, and the rest of the group began to watch.

The lights just milled around for several minutes with no discernible pattern to their movement. Brendon suggested we attempt to communicate with them. At first, everyone laughed, but we were able to convince the group to lay on the field while Brendon traced out geometric shapes out of our line of sight behind us. We watched the objects closely. First, he traced out a square. I stood in the middle to verify. Sure enough, the lights quickly arranged themselves into a square. I gave a running monologue. "Yep, now the one on the right is moving closer to the one on the left, while Mr. Lower left is heading toward Mrs. Lower right—we have a square:" You get the picture.

Next, Brendon traced out a circle. The objects obliged him and formed a circle high in the sky. I was watching, when someone asked rhetorically, "I wonder why they don't come closer." Someone else exclaimed "LOOK!" The objects appeared to rush downward towards us as they became larger and brighter. Someone else said "No, not that close," and they slowly appeared to stop and then slowly regain altitude. This brought out oohs and aahhs from the group. Brendon quickly traced out a triangle. Again, the lights responded in kind. It seemed we were communicating with these unidentified lights in the sky. I suggested that Brendon try tracing out three wavy lines, a play on the parapsychology test-card. A sixth light approached and joined the original five and we stayed on the field for a while longer watching the objects drift around and, like typical kids, I'm embarrassed to say, we got bored and went to the party! I quizzed everyone the following day about our shared experience, and no one thought it had been a big deal. "Yeah, that was kinda cool man, playing with the UFOs…" Years later, [1989] I found out that it was during that same Fall 1979 time period that Whitley Strieber claimed he had amazing alien visitation experiences at his nearby New Paltz cabin – just a few miles from the college where we had our group experience.

Back