• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Scientist Explains Why UFO's Are Not Investigated

Free versions of recent episodes:

exo_doc

Foolish Earthling
I've heard some ridiculous explainations for not looking into UFO's, but this one has become my all time favorite;

.......... "The fact that [unknown] craft are flying around Earth is not a subject for science -- it's a subject for intelligence-gathering, collection and analysis. That's because UFOs are not a natural phenomenon, and that's what science studies."

UFO's are not explored because they are not a "natural phenomena?" W....T....F?
What magnificent BS.:rolleyes:

Full article: Eric Davis, Physicist, Explains Why Scientists Won't Discuss Their UFO Interests

I didn't listen to the videos but from what I read - and on first blush - I can see the point. It makes sense. Science is about natural phenomena and the replication of that phenomena - and if UFOs are artificial why would one 'study' them.

The closest I have come to someone approaching an aerial/space phenomenon scientifically has been Martyn Stubbs. I started a thread on the guy but there were no takers: Martyn Stubbs and the NASA Transmissions | The Paracast Community Forums

Sadly, the video has been taken down: " 'Secret UFO NASA...' This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by UFOTV: The Disclosure Network".

I am wondering if my posting a link here caused it to be flagged and so challenged - because that video had been up on YouTube for a long time. If so, I've learned my lesson - because that video documents an example of science (or at least serious observation) being applied to a space phenomenon. By taking the video down - the chance for a wider audience to see the work of Martyn Stubbs is diminished substantially - and so further research in the area is stymied. An example of UFO people stopping possible research.

However, you can find Martyn Stubbs/NASA if you look - I won't supply the link, though.

Last edited:
Rockets aren't "natural" either ... so then, how did we get "rocket scientists" ?

Developed technology is based on observable, replicable natural events. There are scientists/engineers that are interested in propulsion and applied science.

Let's take an example: the Phoenix Lights episode. Assumption that it is an alien spacecraft does not make it an alien spacecraft. Is it a phenomenon that occurs with predictable regularity? If so, it can be studied. If not, like for most of us, there is no rationale for sitting night after night waiting for the phenomenon to emerge.

Last edited:
Developed technology is based on observable, replicable natural events. There are scientists/engineers that are interested in propulsion and applied science ...
My response was a rhetorical question that addressed the rationale of the OP ( UFO's are not explored by scientists because they are not a "natural phenomena" ).

Last edited:
My thinking is that science in all it's combined efforts and resources may be the only way to get to the bottom of UFO/UAP's. If nothing else, it would be an interesting data base.

The "natural phenomena" explanation is an excuse, a lame, very lame, one at that.

Classic case of science missing the forest for the trees. Let's send a probe millions of miles away to look for petrified microbes, when we could have a developed intelligent race in our own atmosphere.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but I am a fair bit. Sounds like a worse answer that just saying 'because it's all made up' or something . Bizarre reasoning I think , what if it's not aliens but some strange psychological or geological phenomenon , that would be quite important anyway and often research might not answer the ufo question but it might reveal something important in a totally different area.
Sounds to me like the saying from investment /money managers that nobody ever got sacked for buying IBM , safe science stifling innovation at the altar of peer pressure and competition for funding from corporation and govt agency .

There was a brief period of time in the late 1940's, when the green fireballs phenomenon (mostly over New Mexico and often near highly classified installations)

Green fireballs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

became so frequent and intrusive that it prompted the government to set up a short lived data capture program known as Project Twinkle. Twinkle consisted of special cameras and electromagnetic sensors stationed at one or two locations in New Mexico.

By most accounts, Twinkle was inadequate from the get-go and very understaffed. Offical conclusions are that it produced no viable data. As far as I know, this is the only "nuts and bolts" investigatory effort to which the U.S. government admits.

duh! I realised I totally misread his point , as he's actually talking about FTL travel and saying science does have some irrefutable evidence but fear stops the people from going on record . The guy's got my respect anyway . Unless he starts tinkering with engines at S4 and writes a book .. :/
Out of interest , anyone know of research papers on ufos that have passed science peer review? That was a good refresher on Twinkle boomerang put up so thanks.

IMHO the real reason that members of the scientific community will not speak about the UFO topic in public is several fold. Most scientists are funded by government grants. In many cases that money is their life. Government has made it perfectly clear that UFOs are persona-non-grata, period. Most scientists are timid. They fear that if they rock the boat, in a manner of speaking, they will be tossed out of the boat. In other words they will reap the whirlwind by their peers, they will be ostracised from their peer group. Look at how James MacDonald suffered, how Hynek acted while in the employ of the Air Force. Only a very few exceptions to this rule can be traced back in UFO history. Peter Sturrock is one, Bruce Maccabee is an even stranger exception but normally UFOs and science simply do not co-exist. IMHO.

Decker

"The problem", to quote a very sassy acquaintance, "is that science in the 'Enlightenment' abandoned it's philosophical underpinnings and instead adopted a 'first past the post' system: if it sounds good, if it looks good, we'll believe it. And because we, as Scientists, are Enlightened Paragons of Logic and Truth, if it looks and sounds and smells good, then as far as we're concerned, it's The Truth."

I've read a post here somewhere that expressed concerns that rigorous discussion can get waylaid by all manner of irrelevancies, like alchemy (among other things). I wish I could find that post again because the alchemists understood something that modern science has forgotten. The result is a divergence that makes nuts-and-bolts science (akin to engineering) acceptable, and anything else is in woo-woo-land. I think the discussion of the paranormal reveals the essence of this problem and the ancient alchemists have something to offer.

Current science, in it's failure to understand the human being, is endlessly stymied by such phenomenon as the paranormal and UFOs. In order to truly grapple with these events - as the alchemists understood - the researcher must be in an advanced state of 'humanness' (in a sense - I'm being indirect). Command of self - command of emotions, clarity of thought, informed by a personal knowledge of the nature of the human being (these are weighty and exalted topics) must be in place with the researcher before any true science (knowing) can occur (according to the alchemists). Significantly, pride must be mastered according to the alchemists, in order for true knowledge to be accessed, which it rarely is in current science of course, as my world-weary friend opines: "It turns out that what passes for 'science' is merely the fad of the moment. Someone's ego got his name in the history books. Someone else's ego replaces it. That's the real game."

Current (paid) science is not a pure realm of unselfish research for the sake of knowledge. That's the ideal - the hope, the sublime illusion. Science has a more grubby reality and a more banal day-in-day-out angst. IMO real science continues to take place with the enthusiast, the 'amateur'. Professional (Paid) Science and Religion are very similar. We want the imprimatur of the scientist before we believe/accept. Like the Pope, the Scientist informs us regarding what avenues of thinking are acceptable.

It's really a complicated subject - but then not so complicated: the Cartesian split did science in, and we are temporarily in a blind because 'facts' are run amok causing chaos, but as always, the alternative streams do proceed. This site is an example of that imo.

Bring some evidence and science will look at.

If there is no evidence, what do people want a scientist to look at, unless he is otherwise personally interested in the topic? A scientist is not someone who can divvy truth from air (or isolated witness testimony), the scientist can only do what a scientist does.

Thus, Vallée may be a scientist but he doesn't look at UFOs in a scientific way, he looks them at them in a cultural way, he ask questions and people respond.

If evidence is being withheld by 3rd parties, those parties should be dealt with first. Whether they be Ray Stanford or the N(A)SA. Until then, scientists are more or less innocent imo.

In the case of Hessdalen, Norway, people are gathering evidence for science to look at. But when Eric Davis says:
"there are scientists who are aware of evidence and observational data that is not refutable. It is absolutely corroborated, using forensic techniques and methodology."
I'm thinking: what evidence is he talking about?

I personally do think that some cases are quite convincing, but I'd not be able to argue that I had a lot of evidence to back it up.

Last edited:
I'm thinking: what evidence is he talking about?

If I had to guess, it would probably be the so called landing trace cases, which are frequently cited by believers as smoking gun proof of UFO's. While some are very interesting, there are problems that become apparent when these cases are reviewed by scientists who aren't UFO believers. Frequently the evidence is sufficiently ambiguous as to be subject to any number of interpretations, and often the evidence chain itself is hard to document, IE it can't be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that these effects on soil or grass or whatever are the result of UFO landings and not the product of natural processes or hoaxes. Science frequently does look at UFO evidence, you can find examples of it all over the literature, that is, when there is actual evidence and not just implied evidence that ends up stolen by the Men In Black or something similar.

Personally, I am of the opinion that, as Jimi said, some of the cases are convincing and that UFO's are a subject that is worthy of study and contemplation. However, we are talking about what would be the greatest scientific discovery in the history of mankind, in order for many to jump on the UFO bandwagon, they're going to require more than witness testimony and vague evidence. We need something irrefutable, the problem is figuring out just what that is and how we go about getting it.

Bring some evidence and science will look at.

Yes, as it has evolved, it is evidentiary and materialist based. Confined to that realm it is/can be par excellence. Our science seen as engineering as in applied science is breathtaking. It is when fair Psyche enters the picture that it starts to falter and even now is wobbling a bit trying to grasp the incongruities, from Physics to Astronomy. (If one just drops the Doppler effect, the universe becomes far more static and as a consequence far more interesting and understandable - a lot gets cleared up).

If there is no evidence, what do people want a scientist to look at, unless he is otherwise personally interested in the topic? A scientist is not someone who can divvy truth from air (or isolated witness testimony), the scientist can only do what a scientist does.

Yes and no. I agree in general. Evidence, however, can be of several kinds. However, science currently only measures and quantifies the physical, material world. It's instruments of detection are physically based and that being so nothing outside the physical universe will be 'seen'. The 'aperture' for 'seeing' is extremely limited.

The 'aperture' - or instrument - to see beyond the physical is the human being itself.

It is when the evidence being presented, as in regards UFOs or the paranormal, is not materially based that science cannot cope. Evidence in scientific terms must have very particular attributes, all limited by the material universe. Money/work/labor is tied to this. We have no (official) mechanism to allow research into anything other than the material.

Thus, Vallée may be a scientist but he doesn't look at UFOs in a scientific way, he looks them at them in a cultural way, he ask questions and people respond.

Jimi H, you remain a source of interesting sources. LINK: Jacques Vallée - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and LINK: Jacques Vallée - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WIKI: "Vallée proposes that there is a genuine UFO phenomenon, partly associated with a form of non-human consciousness that manipulates space and time. The phenomenon has been active throughout human history, and seems to masquerade in various forms to different cultures. In his opinion, the intelligence behind the phenomenon attempts social manipulation by using deception on the humans with whom they interact."

Hmmm......deception.....methinks we create the kind of gods we can understand.

I am really not well-read in the UFO field - I was only a marginal reader in the very early days of UFOs. Vallee is very interesting - however, he brings up the core problem with all the ETH ideas, that postulate backwards. It's as though science - in divesting itself from notions of God/Spirit - is creating an overlay of extraterrestrials to explain the past statements of humanity. It's as though the term extraterrestrial has more cache than spiritual beings (like Angels - Devas in the East - or Archangels and Archai) - probably because the bias of science is definitely material-based. Physical aircraft zipping around 'makes sense' (That is: of the 5 material senses that perceive the physical universe) than do spiritual beings a la religious belief or spiritual experience.

Vallee is interesting. This fascinating bit from Wiki: "Vallée also proposes that a secondary aspect of the UFO phenomenon involves human manipulation by humans. Witnesses of UFO phenomena undergo a manipulative and staged spectacle, meant to alter their belief system, and eventually, influence human society by suggesting alien intervention from outer space."

I see he has studied the Marion Apparitions (I just initiated a series of threads and posts in the Seer Section relating to these) and the exact same thing could be said of the 'Lady' and the 'Angelic' presence - though less cynically couched in terms that suggest aliens are Public Relations advance teams. It's as though - with the tossing out of the spiritual paradigm - 'science' (alternative ufo science) is backing itself into the same ideas but clothed in different terms.

Wiki: "The ultimate motivation for this deception is probably a projected major change of human society, the breaking down of old belief systems and the implementation of new ones. Vallée states that the evidence, if carefully analyzed, suggests an underlying plan for the deception of mankind by means of unknown, highly advanced methods."

I know this is a Wiki article and I am not reading Vallee himself but from this I am again struck by the term 'deception'. However, from a spiritual perspective, Vallee is very close to stating the esoteric perspective, albeit he is coming at it from a different direction. Instead of from esoteric or 'inner research' Vallee is coming from exoteric or outer analysis of what he receives in the outer world. (It's the old Platonic and Aristotelian dialog repeated yet again).

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the Urantia Book. :cool: LINK: The Urantia Book - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If ever there was a clear-cut exposition - in very technic language - of other-worldly intervention, it is that book. In fact, I wonder if L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology's founder, wasn't inspired by Urantia.

Wiki: "Vallée expresses concern about the often authoritarian political and religious views expressed by many contactees. Amongst the groups profiled are the nascent Raëlian movement and an early form of the Heaven's Gate suicide cult, against which Vallée prophetically warned potential converts, "you only risk your life!" He also argues that Scientology is another example of a UFO cultwhich has organized itself as a religious organization."

I certainly have to agree about the authoritarian aspect of ufology with my (very brief) experience of the LA MUFON group (which has since morphed into the UFO and Paranormal Research Society of LA). The 'religious views' - or 'religious-like' views of many I met was also in evidence.

Wiki: "Vallée feels the entire subject of UFOs is mystified by charlatans and science fiction."

Aw, low blow. :cool: Concerning Science Fiction. If anything, not enough people are writing science fiction and are consequently taking their story-lines a tad too seriously. :rolleyes:

However, there is truth in images - everything we see around us (man-made) was imagined once and would have been viewed as insane ramblings. In fact, numerous spiritual streams see the entire created universe as the result of Thought - God's one great thought or the god-head's underlings (hierarchies of being) manifesting into existence the universe. Rather than conflate the spiritual/extraterrestrial - it's more likely (imho) two separate events. Some of these 'folks' on the spiritual spectrum have been around for quite some time, like 'Our Lady'. The Archangel Michael in one long lived dude, as well - because he not only showed up at Garabandal, but in the first verses of Genesis, and we recognize his persona in the ancient Persian Marduk, and so it goes.

If evidence is being withheld by 3rd parties, those parties should be dealt with first. Whether they be Ray Stanford or the N(A)SA. Until then, scientists are more or less innocent imo.

Which I don't understand btw. And I base that on human nature. It seems unlikely to me that this kind of stuff would be withheld. Why? What earthly reason could prompt such a worldwide withholding - because it would have to be that to be effective - when we are fighting each other and starving and busy scrambling Wall Street. There's not enough hours in the day to be maintaining silence on such an important fact. Somebody somewhere - and lots of somewheres - would be spilling the beans. Don't you think?

In the case of Hessdalen, Norway, people are gathering evidence for science to look at. But when Eric Davis says: "there are scientists who are aware of evidence and observational data that is not refutable. It is absolutely corroborated, using forensic techniques and methodology." I'm thinking: what evidence is he talking about?

I personally do think that some cases are quite convincing, but I'd not be able to argue that I had a lot of evidence to back it up.

His statement is too nebulous. It's inserted to tantalize and 'convince' through mystery imo. How we all love a mystery - and it plays to some people's already extant paranoia about government. So it's a win-win. More is achieved by the suggestion of secrecy than any evidence. So if one wants to gull the easily gulled - those who want very much to have it be true will latch onto that: 'if only' we had the hidden evidence. So it goes.

Last edited:
While I greatly favour the alchemical sentiment, the truth is most mysteries are solved when serious science in the form of research, observation and study are employed. It is a shame that these studies are often corrupted by power and not open, public explorations. The phenomenon is also so unpredictable, diverse and odd that it does not lend itself well to study. What both The Green Fireballs and Hessdalen had in common was location frequency. And still there was not enough sustained interest & resources to actually determine much from either.

The whole problem is like some sort of 1,000,000 piece quantum puzzle. The more you study, the more maddening and impossible it seems. The closer you get to the phenomenon the more it seems to destabilize you. Still, perhaps it will be a highly imaginative thinker, who for reasons of personal passion, and if allowed to work in an unfettered manner, that will finally make some headway in this area. Until that time...the history of the curtain of laughter precludes anyone scientifically engaging it in an open public study.

Anyone who has new, real knowledge on UFO's has to be either a powerful control body or merely someone harboring unsubstantiated speculations.

... The more you study, the more maddening and impossible it seems. The closer you get to the phenomenon the more it seems to destabilize you. Still, perhaps it will be a highly imaginative thinker, who for reasons of personal passion, and if allowed to work in an unfettered manner, that will finally make some headway in this area. Until that time...the history of the curtain of laughter precludes anyone scientifically engaging it in an open public study.
If we're dealing strictly in scientific terms, then the above is true in some sense. However science isn't the only measure by which we determine what is reasonable to believe, and those who are stuck in that mode are arbitrarily dismissing the reality of many things that are essential for a meaningful human existence. For example science doesn't explain our sense of appreciation or satisfaction. For that matter science hasn't yet figured out exactly how our perceptions give rise to intelligence, consciousness and self-awareness, without which, this discussion would be devoid of purpose. There is no question that science is a powerful tool, but it's also highly specialized, so when it doesn't fit the problem, sometimes it's helpful to have another equally legitimate tool available to get the job done. I've mentioned critical thinking many times. It's the multi-tool of rational analysis. Here's the link again: http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/learn-the-elements-and-standards/861

So if it's ridicule by deniers or misinformed scientists that we want to suppress, then the best way to deal with them is to get our own house in order so that they don't have any legitimate ammunition to throw at us. That's why establishing a sound foundation is so important. If we stop giving them ammunition then we'll cut the flak we're taking by a huge margin. I've tried to explain this so many times now that I'm sure it's getting tiresome, but it's still as true now as it ever was.
Anyone who has new, real knowledge on UFO's has to be either a powerful control body or merely someone harboring unsubstantiated speculations.
Or they may have unverifiable knowledge from firsthand experience.

Last edited:
Back