• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Reverse speech phenomena

I edited a short sample of Gene today to demonstrate, got some interesting stuff :) no slowing down required, if Gene says it's ok I'll send it to whoever wants it ;-) it turned out fairly successful, some really clear speech, even some swearing!

Just post them to this thread!

When I read Oate's name I couldn't help but think of the incredible Oates, Bell, Stephens feud of the late 90's and the whole Hale Bopp photograph nonsense. Now that would be a great topic for a show.

After looking into this briefly I find there's something a bit creepy about finding messages in our own or others people's reversed speech. As if there's some hidden meanings revealed. No matter how obvious the translations seem it is still very subjective. I still think reverse recordings have there place. Ex. Jimi's reverse solo in the song Are you experienced :)

In the days of the sci-fi movie serials of the 1930s, they made a couple where aliens spoke backwards, a cheap way to make them, well, alien. :)

David Lynch one-uped this method in "Twin Peaks" for scenes with the creepy characters in the red room in the show he had them talk backwards, and then he reversed the recording of their speech, making what they said both intelligible and creepy.

I am glad you aren't mentioning posting my recordings backwards. I understand that playing those recordings at a normal listening level can melt bricks and shatter glass. It's a weapon of mass destruction. :D

Well you should think that it's compelling and want to do a show about it! Ha ha

You didn't find it creepy? You swore gene! You swore!!!! I thought it was a crazy good example of RSP...it Let us really know that you think the forum participants are "silly kids" that your listening in on :-p

Back