• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Refugee from Alien Hub forum

Hi guys,

I was a member in Alien Hub forum, The forum has been shutdown without any notice or anything.

I came to know about this site in a thread in Alien Hub, it was posted by a member who the user name is "shadow rbt" I think. I'm not sure but is he a member or a admin here or have I mistaken for something else? Hope i could meet some familiar people from AH again.

To those who don't know me. Diva is my real name, I'm a Graphic Designer and a Property Agent from Malaysia. I like people and i like to chat. I had some experience as being an alien abductee & contactee in the year 2012 to 2013, I was advised to join this kinds of forum / community. So i've joined Alien Hub. Honesty, i wasn't interested in aliens but liked the people there, that's why I stayed there for almost a year before the site got shutdown.

Regards,
Diva
I was a member at Alien Hub too but not a regular. The Paracast has been my choice for forums for several years now and I hope it continues for many more. What is your main area of interest?

It is my belief that the cost of maintaining the site was overwealming the Admin

Sadly there is less and less free space on the net these days. My photo hosting service which has been free for years suddenly decided to hold all my pics to ransom and wont let me link them unless i pay them lots of money. Cant even download them back to my PC to rehost elsewhere.
Seems to be the way things are headed.

Sadly there is less and less free space on the net these days. My photo hosting service which has been free for years suddenly decided to hold all my pics to ransom and wont let me link them unless i pay them lots of money. Cant even download them back to my PC to rehost elsewhere.
Oooh that's nasty. I do website design and hosting and built and hosted USI myself. I can run the whole thing from a flash drive if I have to. Hosting and ISP costs are minimal too. So long as they don't go down ( which seems unlikely ), I can keep USI online for as long as I'm around ( hopefully ). After that I have no idea what's going to happen to it. Maybe some other member will mirror it someplace and carry on the quest.

which one is that?

I was a member at Alien Hub too but not a regular. The Paracast has been my choice for forums for several years now and I hope it continues for many more. What is your main area of interest?

Oh were you that member with the same name as "Usual Suspect"?

I'm interested in Property Investing, interior design, advertising and programming.

Oh were you that member with the same name as "Usual Suspect"?
I'm not entirely sure if I went by the name and avatar I originally had here which was "ufology" and the USI logo, or this one you see now. The USI logo looks like this:

USI_100px.PNG

I'm interested in Property Investing, interior design, advertising and programming.

Interesting combination and probably more lucrative than ufology too. How did the alien thing get into the mix?

Holy crap! $400 to get your own images back?

That's crazy! No backups, huh?

There seem to be varying degrees of success getting photos downloaded from the site. I got mine, but it wasn't many and I had to do them one at a time. I've read of people with hundreds or thousands of images on there being able to get through a bunch of hoops to download zip files or something, one album at a time. Others tried everything they could think of or find out about, with no success.

Having backups at other locations is always a good idea of course, but the big problem for some is the images that have been used in how-to threads and such. Some generous souls have provided excellent "build threads" detailing all sorts of projects. These can be very valuable to others. Photobucket made it easy to post multiple images, but now they are locked up behind a pay wall. Editing thousands of posts, even when it's possible, is monstrously time consuming and errors are inevitable. Four hundred dollars a year to have your images load properly in a hobby thread? Jerks. I won't miss them when they finally fold. All I had there were old avatars, funny pictures, and other useful bits for playing around on forums. I'd pay them $4 a year. Not $20. Certainly not $400. The really stupid thing is that there are people who had "premium" memberships, $100 a year or something, the most you could pay Photobucket, and they are just as screwed as everyone else. I hope they get sued.

Holy crap! $400 to get your own images back?

That's crazy! No backups, huh?
No i have backups, Got a safe full of external HDD's. It's just a hassle to dig them out and go back and rehost everything.
My wife has rebuilt one of our Fire brigade websites by hosting them on facebook and relinking them, but i suspect FB will one day do the very same thing.

No i have backups, Got a safe full of external HDD's. It's just a hassle to dig them out and go back and rehost everything.
My wife has rebuilt one of our Fire brigade websites by hosting them on facebook and relinking them, but i suspect FB will one day do the very same thing.

This would explain why I encountered problems tracing this image: and thread:
The Rainbow Serpents, page 1

Edit: found image in this article:
The Mysterious Aboriginal Rock Art of the Wandjinas

That's a relief.

FWIW, I recommend having both a local and remote backup strategy. Have time machine disks plugged in for local, for remote use a cloud service.

That way the house can burn down and I can still recover the data.

The local backup is for "oops, I shouldn't have deleted that" or disk failures, so I can recover quickly.

This would explain why I encountered problems tracing this image: and thread:
The Rainbow Serpents, page 1

Edit: found image in this article:
The Mysterious Aboriginal Rock Art of the Wandjinas
Skyfloating isn't me, but clearly uses the same hosting service.
Its extortion imo, if you take peoples images on a free hosting basis then you should honour that, by all means charge going forward if that's what you need to do.
You will see that broken link image all over the net these days.

But I'm reminded of that no free lunch pic that predates the internet (worm on a hook with the fish looking at it)

I guess it was inevitable that "free" services on line would only be a transitory phase.

Web hosting is no different, you start off with a free sample, then as the page gets more hits the provider ups the cost.
Drug dealers use the same formula.

I guess at some point the owner of Alien Hub just couldn't afford to run it out of his own pocket.

And that's why i encourage anyone who can afford to subscribe here to do so. I'm sure plenty of people from Alien hub who were heavily invested socially and intellectually would be happy to chip in now to bring it back. But that boat has sunk. You never miss your water till the well runs dry.

I'm not entirely sure if I went by the name and avatar I originally had here which was "ufology" and the USI logo, or this one you see now. The USI logo looks like this:

Oh I don't remember that logo.

Interesting combination and probably more lucrative than ufology too. How did the alien thing get into the mix?

It didn't, only one alien did help me alot in the past to escape some corruption problem. My mother is a Property Investor, I got the interest from her.

Back