• SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will be able to download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! FLASH! For a limited time, you can save up to 40% on your subscription. Long-term susbcribers will receive a free coupon code for the James Fox UFO documentary "The Phenomenon," which includes 3 hours of extras, while supplies last. It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Random Thoughts

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
I woke at 4:00 AM. The ceiling was dimly lit by the aqua colored LED readout of the stereo amplifier. It had been left on because it had no remote and I had been binge watching the Babylon 5 saga until I couldn't stay awake any longer. As I floated in the pale blue glow of the background radiation, I began to wonder why there was such division in the world.

There are people who are obviously much smarter than I am, as well as people who are far more intuitive. Together they should be able to solve pretty much all the problems. Instead, they often seem to have no idea what the other is talking about. Why? It was then that it became clear that intelligence doesn't illuminate that which the intuitive senses, and intuition offers no explanation for what the intellect grasps.

Consequently, the more a person is shifted toward one side or the other, the farther away they are from seeing the whole picture. The intuitive knows something is wrong, but complex formulas are beyond their grasp. The intellectual can readily solve complex formulas, but doesn't see that they may have little or nothing to do with the real world.

Somewhere between the two is a picture with optimal brightness and contrast that gives the experiencer the dynamic range to see more clearly than those at either end of the spectrum. At first we might be tempted to think that this is a good thing. However, because each end of the spectrum are each other's experts, the ones in the middle aren't seen by either side as having any credibility.

In this situation are two polarized factions, plus a third the middle that is getting attacked from both sides. So next time you feel like you're being attacked from all sides, don't despair. Chances are good that it means you are actually the one with the clearest view of all, and it really is the rest of the world that's crazy.

Last edited:

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
Q: If it's possible that you are the only real person in this realm, and the rest are avatars or AIs, how do you know your not in that situation right now?

Clues:
  1. Does the rest of the world sometimes seem animatronic?
  2. Do you sometimes feel like you're living in a dystopian sc-fi hologram?
  3. Does what should seem to be the simplest of logic somehow escape certain people?
  4. Have you experienced paranormal phenomena?
  5. Does your pet sometimes seem to be able to read your mind?
If you answered "Yes" to three or more out of five, you could be the only thing that's real in your universe. This may or may not help you get a date. If you do get a date, and you are having trouble communicating, make sure to double check clue number three.

Last edited:

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
One Timeless Summer's Day

I had a dream in which I was part of a group of children who all grew-up together over the course of a sunny summer's day in a grassy field near the sea. I woke-up from this extraordinary experience and looked at the clock. It was 6:30 AM. I lay there contemplating how this dream could be made into a low-budget film festival movie.

I ran the scenes in my mind and imagined how it could all come together in an avante garde manner to expose a range of social behaviors we commonly think of as normal, but are in-fact due the socialization of the system that was absent in the dream. I thought that if only I won the lottery, perhaps I could actually make such a film, I glanced again at the clock. It was still 6:30 AM.

Was the clock broken? I thought to myself. I decided to watch it until the led turned from zero to one. It seemed to take forever. The "watched pot" effect, I told myself. Finally I had to blink, and in that moment the clock changed to 6:31. And so began my day. Perhaps there is more truth to the idea that the universe really is constructed in such a way that it only exists when we look at it.

Then I got-up, put on my overcoat, furry Russian hat, and went outside to confront the reality of the freshly fallen snow on my sidewalk. Do our dreams get weirder as we get older? The other day I had one about being a construction worker on a crew that was building a massive hydroelectric project in Latin America. Why I would dream that I have no clue.

Protests against Latin America’s pursuit of hydropower are increasing as the environmental costs mount up. Is the end of the region’s mega dams in sight?

Last edited: