• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Questions for Our All-Star Cast

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
To observe the life and accomplishments of the late UFO researcher, Lucius Farish, we're going to record a special tribute show on February 14th, for broadcast February 19th.

You'll want to check up on Lou's background here:

Lou Farish Passes

The guest list (subject to update) includes:

Jerome Clark
Rick R. Hilberg
Curt Sutherly
Nancy Talbott

The life of Lou Farish will only be a starting point for a wide-ranging discussion. Feel free to post your questions here.

on my part id like to hear about this guys work, somewhat emberrased i have to admit ive never heard of this guy even tho the kind words written about him on the page you link to portrait him as a big and respected force ine the ufo field.

maybe one question would be why i havent heard of him ?

...why i havent heard of him ?
Because Lou was not a self-promoter. He was a hard-working, dedicated documantarian. His "UFO News clipping" service was our Internet before the 'net--from the 1970s until the modern day--when the internet rendered it obsolete. Lou also started the Eureka Springs UFO conference held every year when the flowers would bloom in April. The legendary "Lone Star Bar" (and hospitality suite) evolved into an intense four-day sojourn into the most esoteric realms of ufological fact and fancy. I had to stop going in 1999, I hope I graduated (?). Izzy and I spent my last night in rapture "figuring out the mysteries of the universe," you know, cattle mutilations, ufos and the role of the media plays as it educates the masses about the paranormal aspects of the paranormal under abnormal circumstances, and then some! We agreed to agree and I rolled over to catch my first "power nap" in two days (at 7 AM), mulling over how I was going to ever present to the conference a freakin year's worth of data in a scant 20 minute update. Of course, as usual, I was slated to open up the Sunday mini-presentations at 8 AM...
And the Lone Star at the conference went on for another 10 years... the stories I missed and the musical jams, etc... Thanks Lou! :)

I would like to know what the guests think of all the division amongst the various researchers of paranormal topics. Is there any way that researchers can come to certain agreements about anything so that they can convince people like me (I'm what could be considered an asshole skeptic, Chris I trust you to edit that for radio :)) that there really is something more going on that just people's perceptions?

I would like to know what the guests think of all the division amongst the various researchers of paranormal topics. Is there any way that researchers can come to certain agreements about anything so that they can convince people like me (I'm what could be considered an asshole skeptic, Chris I trust you to edit that for radio :)) that there really is something more going on that just people's perceptions?

The problem there is "perceptions" are like A-holes (pun intended) :p (But, I for one don't think you are an asshole). ;) Everybody has one. ;) When you start from the perception "it's all bunk and the planet Venus and sleep paralysis" then that's what you will most likely come up with. When you start from "It's a conspiracy and we are not being told the truth" then that's more than likely what you will come up with. If you start with actual skepticism such as "Maybe, we don't have the correct tools to measure this stuff yet or maybe we should open up the doors of perception by studying the psychological effects of sightings and abductions on witnesses. Or maybe even experimenting with DMT and other drugs and comparing hypnotic states and information with actual events. I think we get stuck sometimes with trying to use a test tube or a blacked out government document We throw away good research by people like Strassman and Sheldrake and Swartz and call it pseudo science because some smirking "science historian" says it's not possible. I think that as long as we have people with a "vested" interest in debunking instead of real science and a vested interest in nuts and bolts aliens instead of just following the data where it leads we will always have this argument. Maybe someday we will have indisputable contact with a "other" intelligence. Until then I don't think anybody will ever be totally convinced of anything. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

... If you start with actual skepticism such as "Maybe, we don't have the correct tools to measure this stuff yet or maybe we should open up the doors of perception by studying the psychological effects of sightings and abductions on witnesses. Or maybe even experimenting with DMT and other drugs and comparing hypnotic states and information with actual events.

What!? That is your example of actual skepticism? Wow.

I obviously need some more Trimethylxanthine this morning.

:p I need something myself. I was "thinking" of what I consider skepticism. But, then I started writing other stuff which I also think. :D Then I didn't come back to the skepicism part and now I'm on to something else. I'm not as smart as I was when I was in my twenties and thirties and I get distracted easier. I pretty much had it all figured out back then. Religion, truth, the universe and everything. :eek: Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

Trimethylxanthine is essentially caffeine, an amazing discovery, that something that tastes so good is actually good for you. Coffeine, if taken regularly, helps in the reduction of type 2 diabetes. A recent health study took a number of caffeinated beverages and studied their effects on diabetes and found coffee to be the most effective.

Wow, I had to look that up. Now, I understand We are on the same drug. ;) I haven't had my maximum dosage either this morning. :cool:

Since Lou was best known for his news clipping service, here's a couple of news questions.

What are some examples of the best and worst media coverage of UFOs?

Is the media's treatment of UFOs any less accurate or biased than their coverage of other topics?

For Rick:
How many paper UFO zines are around these days, and what do they offer that you can't find online?

Back