• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Please Settle Down!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
As the forum becomes more and more popular, it is also harder for our forum moderators to read each and every word in each and every message, so things sometimes get a little lax.

But we do have a clear Terms of Service, even though it's not always fully enforced:

Terms and Rules

Here are some important things to consider:

1. Insulting other members: This is getting out of hand and it must stop now! Please try to be more agreeable when you disagree. You don't need to call someone a "dummy" or a "twit" to get your point across. Our moderators will warn people who get out of hand -- and bans will be handed out to serial offenders.

2. Profanity: We've been lax about this. The Paracast is broadcast on traditional radio, which means the seven dirty words are verboten. We've allowed the free use of language here, but try to restrain yourself a little please.

3. The power to edit: Our moderators have the authority to edit a post that contains objectionable content, or remove it entirely. They have not always used this authority, especially the first. But they will.

Many of you agree: The Paracast Community Forum is the best online watering hole for people interested in the strange and unknown. But we don't want to scare away members because unacceptable behavior is getting out of hand. If you see a post that's especially offensive, please feel free to use the Report button in that post, and express your concerns.

I agree,humbly so, gene. I will post no more on the Jesus thread, or on the mike experience thread. I just literal moments ago posted to the mike experience thread (I don't know what else to use to refer to it, nothing meant there), before I noticed this post from you. I'm not trying to defend my post, quite the contrary, because I think it was entirely appropriate. I appreciate this post of yours. Kim

Yes, Gene, for you, I will. :) I reordered the words to reflect English word order, not that the Romans didn't throw word order pell mell away anyway sometimes. I've always been fond of the saying/motto of Her Majesty's Ship Rodney. The second quote everyone will recognize. Thanks, Gene. I actually feel a sense of relief! Kim

I've seen this on sports forums. Some jerk tries to spam a site and maybe get lucky and cause somebody to click on a link. Oh well, brave new world. Hopefully, it gets cleaned up soon.

I for my part humbly appogize fot the thread thoughts on religion. I shall not post any thread on god again.or try to state my compex veiws on faith again.I also try to keep my post to a low roar an if I offened anyone I am truly sorry.
Bob

I'm also off the religion thread on the paracast. It's disappointing that such a big part of some peoples lives can't be discussed without bitterness and anger and propaganda being slung all around. However, this isn't church and shouldn't be. So, maybe we are better off. I also have a complex relationship with religion. I've seen the good and the bad. It did bring out some stuff that caused me to go :eek:. But, Vesvehighfolk please don't withhold your post. This forum, like anything else needs more voices not less. I got slimed myself because I dared to say I do have an inner life and don't hate religion. But, I was trying to talk about historical data and certainly wasn't trying to convert anyone. I mean what would I convert them to? Christian/Agnostic? Because I still do have relationship with spirit but as for Christianity? I'm agnostic. I have not turned my back on my faith but I can't embrace the religious dogma anymore either. I think we are more than brain chemistry but I don't think there's an angry old man in the sky. I think everybody deserves a modicum of respect. I think an atheist should be able to talk about their worldview without somebody hitting them over the head with a bible. But, I also think a Catholic should be able to express their worldview without somebody hitting them over the head with a high school science book. :p Anyway, Vesvehighfolk you don't owe anybody an apology. Nobody here owes me one. I know that. Although, there were some nasty things slung my way that I didn't deserve. But, hey it didn't hurt much. ;) It's just werd on a internet machine. :cool:

Hi, bob. I don't think you have anything to apologize for at all. I enjoyed your posts. Granted, it got a bit hot on the threads on religion, though I think I'd term them more accurately the threads on Judaism and Christianity, and the subject of religion still occurs on threads. An example is the thread on, as it is named, "substrate-Independent minds." Actually, it's turned into an interesting thread. But to remain on topic in this thread, I don't think you did anything wrong. I've learned to now sort of allude to the subject as it's brought up, and, above all, to try to use the manner of discourse so well exemplified by good ol' Jonathan Swift when he wrote "A Modest Proposal". By the way, his essay is a hoot to read, a hard slog here and there, but perseverance will reward you as his satire becomes more and more apparent. Now, I don't even remotely presume to be able to do as well as Swift when it comes to tongue in cheek, but I try to post in that vein now when that subject comes up, or anything controversial. I notice that global warming and vaccinations are intriguing subjects that bring out the best in people, and advertises their subtle wit and ability to bite their tongues! Kim

I mean what would I convert them to? Christian/Agnostic? Because I still do have relationship with spirit but as for Christianity? I'm agnostic. I have not turned my back on my faith but I can't embrace the religious dogma anymore either. I think we are more than brain chemistry but I don't think there's an angry old man in the sky.

That is an interesting position to be in.. maybe a PM chat would be cool as that is just the position I found myself in years ago.

Now as for the religion on the forum.. yeah people I think we have beaten in to death for now so I will refrain as much as possible from posting on this subject.

The Dawkins video was interesting that was all and I thought I should share it ...... sort of a mistake maybe.

Peace all and don't panic :)

Nothing wrong with the thread at all. Some us just need to learn to play and converse civilly with others. ;) Present company excluded of course. :cool:

Yeah it was fine. As long as no-one gets needlessly called names, I see this forum as a bit of a free-for-all and you should only come in if you are able to take a few knocks while you are here. A few knocks are fine.
There are a few generic phrases I really don't like: 'you are wrong' and 'I am right' or 'you are a *****'.
Keep those 3 out and anything else goes as far as I'm concerned. Many guys know where I stand on things and I know where they stand - and I like it and I like the debate. Keeps you on your toes, intellectually speaking. :)

Back