• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Paranormal Activity

Yeah that rings a bell for me too.

The scariest movies for me used to be the Japanese films. Theyre losing some of their power now, but they were fairly potent for a while.

Japanese films? A bunch of weirdos doing weird things. "Fiend without a face", that's a good spook. Anyone else watched "Manos:the Hands of Fate", that's pure unadultered horror:eek:

The problem with japanese movies is they tend to drag scenes on with no real purpose behind it. One Japanese movie I found really freaky was The Audition.

One move that was low budget but was surprisingly spooky was a movie from the 90's. I thing it was called The Haunted. A family that move into a house and there's some kind of demon that attaches itself to them. They even go camping and it follows them. They eventually leave the house only to have it all start again. It was pretty cool but I've never been able to find it again.

I remember that movie. I think there was a book too I saw once. I actually remember seeing it on tv when I was a kid.

As for Audition.. I have seen that too. It's messed up, but I like messed up so... uh.. yeah.

I like some of the Asian stuff. I thought that scene from The Eye was creepy in the elivator. I'm talking about the Thai version, I boycotted the Jessica Alba version.

I couldn't find any horror movie named 'Glitter'. (the only one I saw was one about Mariah Carey, and I'm guessing you were being sarcastic meanin' it, then?).

Anyway: I've not seen The Audition, will check that one out, thanks:)

I couldn't find any horror movie named 'Glitter'. (the only one I saw was one about Mariah Carey, and I'm guessing you were being sarcastic meanin' it, then?).

Yeah, we were being silly and talking about the Mariah one. The thought of sitting through that truly is scary to me. If you do deciede to watch Audition, it is not supernatural or anything, just kind of painful to watch and messed up... you might want to watch a trailer or read a couple reviews first before you decide. It is deffinately not for everyone.

Thanks for all the opinions on Paranormal Activity. I hadn't planned on seeing it (I don't see many movies at all) and now I certainly won't go. But I am open to watching it on DVD some time in the future.

Jose, is the movie you're talking about this one? I haven't seen it but I find it interesting it has characters named Ed and Lorraine Warren. I suppose that's probably not coincidence.

As for Japanese movies, they have an eerie feel you don't see very often in Hollywood stuff. I was particularly disturbed by "Dark Water". I never saw the Hollywood version, but the original created a mood and atmosphere that the word "bleak" just doesn't do justice to. And they probably only had one scene with special effects (it was just make up even). I wonder if the Hollywood version could say that.

I believe I read earlier that you don't like gore. This movie has some pretty intense gore in a few scenes.
I just saw 'Drag Me To Hell' and thought it was pretty awesome.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I believe I read earlier that you don't like gore. This movie has some pretty intense gore in a few scenes.
<!--Session data-->

I wanted to see Drag Me To Hell but never got around to it. I'll have to check it out. I always loved all that Evil Dead stuff.

Wow I thought DMTH was utter crap aside from the sound design.
It was very tongue-in-cheek at times, but still relatively well crafted. It in no way compares to the first 2 'Evil Dead' films.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Yeah, not too fond of gore. Thanks for the heads-up! It does depend, tho.

So Drag Me To Hell has little to no gore, then?

So Drag Me To Hell has little to no gore, then?
It has its fair share of goofy, cartoonish gore, nothing to compare to the grueling, realistic torture scenes in 'Audition.'

Thanks for all the opinions on Paranormal Activity. I hadn't planned on seeing it (I don't see many movies at all) and now I certainly won't go. But I am open to watching it on DVD some time in the future.

Jose, is the movie you're talking about this one? I haven't seen it but I find it interesting it has characters named Ed and Lorraine Warren. I suppose that's probably not coincidence.

As for Japanese movies, they have an eerie feel you don't see very often in Hollywood stuff. I was particularly disturbed by "Dark Water". I never saw the Hollywood version, but the original created a mood and atmosphere that the word "bleak" just doesn't do justice to. And they probably only had one scene with special effects (it was just make up even). I wonder if the Hollywood version could say that.

I'm pretty sure that's the one. It's low budget but it's really good. Very spooky. The part where they go camping and return to the house as it's going crazy inside was spooky. That kept me up at night thinking about it.

I have done further research on the couple in the film. They were filmed in the directors house at a price of £15,000. Paranormal Activity is a good film-it is a shame that it isn't authentic based on the original version-as these things really do happen in the presence of strong paranormal activity. It is a shame that it is not an actual documented event of the paranormal, bar the murders in the film.

The Haunted (1991 TV Movie). Not on DVD or anything yet. I'd love to see that one!

It IS here tho: (Also see someone offering it for sale on DVD in vid description).

(the other parts of it are in the related vids section).

Back