• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Official funny stuff — Part 2

China mall introduces 'husband storage' pods for shopping wives - BBC News
China mall introduces 'husband storage' pods for shopping wives

_96933308_92238fe4-0147-4955-a996-3b83aff93701.jpg

What you think of latest Dr Who series with Capaldi and the girl Bill?
Must say ive enjoyed who lately more than I have for years.

No Dis. To Tennant and Smith but Capaldi is more my type. Baker was 'my first Dr.

I love Capaldi in the role, though i would have been happy for Matt to have racked up a few more seasons.

I finally succumbed to the My Family car sticker craze today.

20024126_10159197306185037_5821797645174541740_o.jpg

My wife who already has a large collection of throwing knives just needs to start wearing that Leela costume i bought her and my life will be complete......

Funny Dr Who related story, well if i didnt laugh i would cry.
I had a coat as seen in DW and the seeds of doom,Horror of fang rock and Invisible enemy Custom made to measure. (its a wonderful coat that i can only wear in winter thanks to the local climate but i digress.).

seeds_of_doom_1621.jpg

It came with brown velvet cuffs and collar which wasn't quite screen accurate the prop having a wide wale brown corduroy cuffs and collar.
I finally sourced some wide wale corduroy and while not quite perfect was a vast improvement on the velvet.

Enter the bespoke tailor.......

"With the cuffs make sure the single seam is on the reverse of the sleeve" I say when i take it in. The seam will be covered with 3 brown buttons that i will add to make it screen accurate.

No problems they reply.

It comes back with one seam forward and one backwards. I email them pictures and say the left is wrong the right cuff is correct.
I Take it back and they see the problem, and cant believe they made such an obvious mistake.
"Now make sure you fix the left sleeve, the right one is fine don't touch it"

"No problems they say"..............

Yeah..... i return and they did the right one not the left, now both are wrong.

Third time was the charm .

20045619_10159156969630037_4314841137512622273_o.jpg

May their jelly babies always taste like brussel sprouts.....

So....the new Dr Who incarnation is a woman! After 12 or so men I don't have a problem in principle with a female Dr - it'll make a refreshing change and open up some unexplored plot avenues I'd imagine.

I do have one issue though, and that is whilst I'm fine with a female Dr for a change, it's just that I think the reason behind it is all down to being seen to be ultra-PC and modern and LGBT-friendly etc, and trying too hard to do so.

Will there now be calls for classic fictional female characters to be played by men now? Pride and Prejudice with 4 brothers fretting about getting married? I don't personally want a female James Bond - and I'm sure that is just round the corner too. I'd rather see a fellow MI6 officer double up with a male Bond. Bond was written with a character who is ruthless, womanising, cold as steel when required etc and even though either sex can display any combination of characteristics, I don't particularly want to see a woman with the exact same behaviour as Bond because frankly, part of Bonds' appeal is his roguish nature - I may be old fashioned but I like woman to be more readily compassionate and not sexually callous.

Continuing this line of thought, should we have a male Carrie Mathieson?

So....the new Dr Who incarnation is a woman! After 12 or so men I don't have a problem in principle with a female Dr - it'll make a refreshing change and open up some unexplored plot avenues I'd imagine.

I do have one issue though, and that is whilst I'm fine with a female Dr for a change, it's just that I think the reason behind it is all down to being seen to be ultra-PC and modern and LGBT-friendly etc, and trying too hard to do so.

Will there now be calls for classic fictional female characters to be played by men now? Pride and Prejudice with 4 brothers fretting about getting married? I don't personally want a female James Bond - and I'm sure that is just round the corner too. I'd rather see a fellow MI6 officer double up with a male Bond. Bond was written with a character who is ruthless, womanising, cold as steel when required etc and even though either sex can display any combination of characteristics, I don't particularly want to see a woman with the exact same behaviour as Bond because frankly, part of Bonds' appeal is his roguish nature - I may be old fashioned but I like woman to be more readily compassionate and not sexually callous.

Continuing this line of thought, should we have a male Carrie Mathieson?

I'm of the same mind. I think it started when Russel T Davies started writing. The show became a vehicle for social commentary in particular the LGBTI discussion.
I wasn't impressed to be honest. Now don't get me wrong, ive always been a supporter of the LGBTI community with many friends in it. Ive always held the view that "Who" we are inside is more important then the skin we wear, be it the colour or the configuration of that skin.
But the show should have just been about the Sci Fi, not social evolution. (Mileage will vary.)

Some of the arguments for a female doctor are the show is about change.
Well yes but change is best measured against some constants. Just because you can change a thing doesn't mean you should.
Then there is the "Its in the lore and there is precedent" aspect since the Master changed sex.
But the Masters Tardis can also change its external appearance. Should we start having the Doctors Tardis start materializing as a grandfather clock or stone column now ?

Too much change and it becomes something new, something its not.

The Tardis should always be a blue Police box, and the Doctor should always be a man. That's my view.

Capt Jacks character is a pan sexual, River Songs one is too. Do we now see River Song come back and pash the new female doctor ?.

Its not up to me, but personally i would have preferred DW as a show to just be about the scifi, An adventure in space and time, and not the bedroom.

Drama is not reality, it is an art.
The arts should be free from outside interference.

The most skilled actor or the one most suited to the role should be given it.

Gender should not be an issue, or race etc, it should be about merit.

My understanding is that this will be a new series of Dr who, not a remake of an old one, so I trust that the writers had written Who's player as being female.
We are talking about a very seasoned, experienced and successful production, at least give them a chance to show that it can work.
It is also probably worth noting that it is made for the BBC:

BBC - Embracing diversity in everything we do - Diversity & Inclusion

Anyway invariably the 'commissioner' (the person who orders/pays for a new work of art) will have certain stipulations or specifications for the artist.
For example if I ask an artist to paint me a donkey, and he paints me a horse, I am not going to pay.
The BBC has a very clear policy and the result is a female Dr, because that is what they want. It is up to the production to make it work.
We have to pay for a TV license here so in a way I have payed for Dr Who, even though I never watch it.

The BBC is such an important and influential organisation that I think it is imperative that it lights the way, of course this will mean errors and mistakes are made.
But I really do believe that it is the thought that counts, and I don't begrudge the BBC for trying to be progressive.

I think in time things will level out, and the cream will rise to the top, like it always does, but that can't happen until everyone is given an equal shot.

I trust Auntie. I suppose you can choose your friends but not your family :)

Also maybe I am not so bothered about who plays the Dr because I am not a fan. I wish they had given the funding to red dwarf instead, but that is another story, and this is supposed to be an 'officially funny thread' and not a place for soapbox rants. so here is my attempt at reworking an old joke:

Knock, knock.

Who is there?

A female Doctor:

A female Doctor Who?

Yep!

:)

Drama is not reality, it is an art.
The arts should be free from outside interference.

The most skilled actor or the one most suited to the role should be given it.

Gender should not be an issue, or race etc, it should be about merit.

My understanding is that this will be a new series of Dr who, not a remake of an old one, so I trust that the writers had written Who's player as being female.
We are talking about a very seasoned, experienced and successful production, at least give them a chance to show that it can work.
It is also probably worth noting that it is made for the BBC:

BBC - Embracing diversity in everything we do - Diversity & Inclusion

Anyway invariably the 'commissioner' (the person who orders/pays for a new work of art) will have certain stipulations or specifications for the artist.
For example if I ask an artist to paint me a donkey, and he paints me a horse, I am not going to pay.
The BBC has a very clear policy and the result is a female Dr, because that is what they want. It is up to the production to make it work.
We have to pay for a TV license here so in a way I have payed for Dr Who, even though I never watch it.

The BBC is such an important and influential organisation that I think it is imperative that it lights the way, of course this will mean errors and mistakes are made.
But I really do believe that it is the thought that counts, and I don't begrudge the BBC for trying to be progressive.

I think in time things will level out, and the cream will rise to the top, like it always does, but that can't happen until everyone is given an equal shot.

I trust Auntie. I suppose you can choose your friends but not your family :)

Also maybe I am not so bothered about who plays the Dr because I am not a fan. I wish they had given the funding to red dwarf instead, but that is another story, and this is supposed to be an 'officially funny thread' and not a place for soapbox rants. so here is my attempt at reworking an old joke:

Knock, knock.

Who is there?

A female Doctor:

A female Doctor Who?

Yep!

:)

I'm with you all the way about Red Dwarf.Not watched Dr Who since I was about 8 years old.I do understand the sentiments of Mike but as you say the BBC are on a path of equality on all fronts.The Time Lord is now the Time Lady so let's go with it.I remember thinking I wouldn't like a female vampire hunter but I loved Buffy and watch reruns whenever it's on.

I think it's high time the Doctor was a woman. There's no in-universe reason why he shouldn't regenerate as one; and it does open up all kinds of interesting story lines.

And as a Red Dwarf fan it harkens to the parallel universe episode where the boys from the Dwarf go into a parallel universe where their characters are women, and promptly try to shag themselves.

Last edited:
I've been watching Doctor Who off and on since the Baker years. I don't see a problem with the Doctor being a woman given that regeneration gives the Doctor a new body and new personality every single time, anyway. It's a clever device and one that has been used to pretty good effect. As someone who grew up in the 70s and 80s, its somewhat refreshing to see women portrayed as something more than a prop to man's manifest destiny.

If the master can be awesome as missy then why not a woman doctor!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

No reason why not.

The masters Tardis can also have any external appearance it likes.

Exterior
During his rivalry with the Doctor, the Master changed his TARDIS into several different forms, including: an Adjudication flyer, an out-of-date space locker, a horsebox, a white cube, a spaceship, a black Rolls-Royce limousine with darkened windows, a bulkhead door aboard the HMS Redoubt, the Stone of Sacrifice in the cavern of the church at Devil's End, a computer bank, a filing cabinet, a control panel, a wardrobe, a grandfather clock, a tank,a red pillar box, the Melkur, a police box, a laurel bush, a Doric column, a marble fireplace, Speedbird Concorde 192, an iron maiden,a three-sided column, a wooden beach hut, a statue of Queen Victoria, a red telephone box, a transport crate , a palm tree, and a white pillar.

My question is would fans be happy to see the Doctors Tardis change from a blue Police box and start appearing as other things ?

Personally i think such a radical change would be a bad thing, like knocking down a lovely heritage building to build a concrete and glass tower.

I see a poll in the Mirror still has a large No vote for the change 63/37.

BBC sparks furious backlash after Jodie Whittaker female Doctor Who announcement

Personally i think the Doctors Tardis should stay a Blue Police box even though there is no reason why not it could change
And for the same reason i would prefer the Doctor remain a man. But i'm old and have been watching the show since the 60's.

What I'd really rather see the Beeb do is more shows along the adventure in space and time show. Cast excellent look alike's and do new stories about older regenerations.

Back