• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

November 20th Show

Free episodes:

We did discuss the DNA study on the program. Chris is also aware of this study to the fact that it has more than a hundred samples involved on a global scale. It really is going to be a big story when the study is published. Google Dr. Melba Ketchum DNA Study.

If anyone would like a private link to our documentary Navajo Skin Walkers & Legends- e-mail me at [email protected]
Here is a review of the documentary by my good friend Nick Redfern. http://monsterusa.blogspot.com/2009/02/navajo-skin-walkers.html

Some tall stories indeed. So many sighting, so few images. I was wondering whether I had accidently downloaded audiobook versions of Edgar Rice Burroughs' stories. More than a little skeptical over the skunk in the pipe. Is it a coincidence that the so -called "punch" holes are in sequence with the perforations all along the pipe and in the same place as the perforations? The material appears to be folded back as if someone had levered the pipe open through the perforations with a crowbar -- the holes are almost identical in shape and does not lend itself with a left and right hand punch -- which would not speak to shoulder width as mentioned above as it could be the same fist used twice (if they were indeed punch holes). My best guess is that someone found a dead skunk in the irrigation pipe that was blocking it and was trying to remove it using a leverage tool, got the wrong spot the first time and tried one notch over. As far as a dead skunk (as well as other mutilated animals and people) in the irrigation area; if they're anything like the irrigation systems in my part of the Badlands, the siphoning systems that go under roads tend to do that to living things that get caught in them. As far as its location -- it's a cultivated field; any piece of machinery could lift it to there or be dropped from a vehicle's flatbed etc. and you wouldn't be able to tell its tire tracks from anything else that drives through the field.

The biggest issue I had with this episode, was JC's almost blasé report from someone concerning two guys being dragged off (apparently on two separations nights) by something cryptid (?). That's it? Then Gene wondering with "...with all these people getting killed...why isn't the science community [figuring it out]. Really? How about law enforcement? If I was a family member one of those men, I would really want to know what happened to my father, brother, son, husband etc. Was a police report made? JC says he follows-up on the reports he hears. Wouldn't the ex-drinker have gone back to a major centre after the 'first' occurrence and report the missing person to the authorities -- rather than waiting yet another night for something to happen to someone else? (It all sounds very irresponsible). If there were police reports it would have made the story far more credible -- especially if we could have been told what the result of their investigation was. Maybe it was a cover story for (dah, dah, dah!) ...Murder!

As an aside, and as we seem to be referring to a lot of "fictional" stuff on this episode -- I understand they have a pretty good CSI Unit somewhere in Nevada.

And after hearing JC's description of a low flying pterodactyl outside of Wal-Mart and he and his son's red rock pincer movement, I'm scratching my head, where's the camera? (There was a binocular mentioned). JC's an investigator, has all of these sighting from his kayak, his hiking, camping and trips to Wal-Mart -- but not a decent or partial picture is mentioned. Even a shaky video cam would have audio.

Sorry JC, you sound like a very nice guy -- but the bounds of your credibility was stretched to gossamer throughout the interview.

... I nearly fell off my chair laughing when Gene mentioned the similarities between True Blood and the world of the various creatures JC was mentioning...

You know; I had a really solid, additional story-line for True Blood come to me the other week. Picture this: there's a family just moved into Bon Temps. Everyone thinks they are all burn victims because they are always wrapped in bandages. It turns out...they're all mummies. Hey? What d'ya think? Should be good for half an episode.

This episode reminded me of being 8 years old and listening to a barber captivate a room full of guys with a story of a Centaur encounter in rural North Carolina. I can enjoy this kind of thing, when told well enough, without having to accept it at face value. While I enjoyed the episode I did find myself saying, "Take a picture!" more than once.

I found and watched a video of J.C. interviewing someone about Skinwalkers that was pretty enjoyable as well.

@jerry Brett I have to say I was wondering about the lack of concern for missing campers as well. Also to echo what you said, why wasn't the police involved? I think the take away from this episode is JC spins a good yarn and for that I thank him for his time.

Some tall stories indeed. So many sighting, so few images. I was wondering whether I had accidently downloaded audiobook versions of Edgar Rice Burroughs' stories. More than a little skeptical over the skunk in the pipe. Is it a coincidence that the so -called "punch" holes are in sequence with the perforations all along the pipe and in the same place as the perforations? The material appears to be folded back as if someone had levered the pipe open through the perforations with a crowbar -- the holes are almost identical in shape and does not lend itself with a left and right hand punch -- which would not speak to shoulder width as mentioned above as it could be the same fist used twice (if they were indeed punch holes). My best guess is that someone found a dead skunk in the irrigation pipe that was blocking it and was trying to remove it using a leverage tool, got the wrong spot the first time and tried one notch over. As far as a dead skunk (as well as other mutilated animals and people) in the irrigation area; if they're anything like the irrigation systems in my part of the Badlands, the siphoning systems that go under roads tend to do that to living things that get caught in them. As far as its location -- it's a cultivated field; any piece of machinery could lift it to there or be dropped from a vehicle's flatbed etc. and you wouldn't be able to tell its tire tracks from anything else that drives through the field.

The biggest issue I had with this episode, was JC's almost blasé report from someone concerning two guys being dragged off (apparently on two separations nights) by something cryptid (?). That's it? Then Gene wondering with "...with all these people getting killed...why isn't the science community [figuring it out]. Really? How about law enforcement? If I was a family member one of those men, I would really want to know what happened to my father, brother, son, husband etc. Was a police report made? JC says he follows-up on the reports he hears. Wouldn't the ex-drinker have gone back to a major centre after the 'first' occurrence and report the missing person to the authorities -- rather than waiting yet another night for something to happen to someone else? (It all sounds very irresponsible). If there were police reports it would have made the story far more credible -- especially if we could have been told what the result of their investigation was. Maybe it was a cover story for (dah, dah, dah!) ...Murder!

As an aside, and as we seem to be referring to a lot of "fictional" stuff on this episode -- I understand they have a pretty good CSI Unit somewhere in Nevada.

And after hearing JC's description of a low flying pterodactyl outside of Wal-Mart and he and his son's red rock pincer movement, I'm scratching my head, where's the camera? (There was a binocular mentioned). JC's an investigator, has all of these sighting from his kayak, his hiking, camping and trips to Wal-Mart -- but not a decent or partial picture is mentioned. Even a shaky video cam would have audio.

Sorry JC, you sound like a very nice guy -- but the bounds of your credibility was stretched to gossamer throughout the interview.

You know; I had a really solid, additional story-line for True Blood come to me the other week. Picture this: there's a family just moved into Bon Temps. Everyone thinks they are all burn victims because they are always wrapped in bandages. It turns out...they're all mummies. Hey? What d'ya think? Should be good for half an episode.

These are the night before photos of the irrigation pipe and skunk. Brenda was first on scene, and took the photos. Myself and Darin got out there the next day to video with Brenda. Someone must have been very careless with the crowbar, they bled all over the outside of the pipe?

This was one of the best shows I've heard to date. Just the idea of seeing living dinosaurs hopping about stirs the imagination. That being said, J.C.'s reference to screaming tarantulas freaked me out a little. I don't want to encounter one of those things. Ever.

It was a fascinating episode. When I heard some accounts were coming out of the Moab area, I immediately thought of a good friend on Facebook I have out there. I hit up my friend, literally just a few seconds ago, and he said he's never seen any such things that JC was describing in the Moab area. He's never even heard of such accounts, and this guy is also a serious outdoorsman. With the extreme level of unbelievability in JC's accounts and word from a reliable source (in my eyes only, of course), I find a lot of the accounts beyond the scope of truth. Still, stories are stories and it was an intriguing episode. On top of that, there may have been one or two snippets of truth to some of the tales.

Overall the episode was engaging, and it was one I listened to straight through with rapt attention. It was fun, like visiting Roswell NM is fun; it's pop culture at it's best, but I don't believe it opened any doors to what could really be going on.....if anything......in that area.

These are the night before photos of the irrigation pipe and skunk. Brenda was first on scene, and took the photos. Myself and Darin got out there the next day to video with Brenda. Someone must have been very careless with the crowbar, they bled all over the outside of the pipe?

Then I'll await your double-blind DNA taste-test results with eagerness; and apologize later.

I do like the animal marks (scratches around the hole) looks like something small -- maybe a 'skunk'. With the new information you have provided in the second video, I would change my assumptions slightly and guess that it was a previously damaged pipe that some poor, misguided skunk found and started crawling into (maybe juicy bugs were in there); he got stuck snagged himself several times trying to get out; or (now I'm really on a flight of fancy) another 'mundane' creature was trying to extricate another one out of the holes that were already there. Which is similar to your story =-- but doesn't include the hairy-man version of eastern medicine (killing the skunk for just its scent glands).

JJ: "We had gathered some blood from this cage and we sent it off for analysis, and it came back with what we were looking for, and we confirmed that."

Chris: "Wait a minute, what were you looking for? What were the results?"

JJ: "Sasquatch."

Translation: "We found a dead skunk."

JJ: "We had gathered some blood from this cage and we sent it off for analysis, and it came back with what we were looking for, and we confirmed that."

Chris: "Wait a minute, what were you looking for? What were the results?"

JJ: "Sasquatch."

Translation: "We found a dead skunk."

This is the video we gathered blood from the cage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqPtz7I9TBY

This is the video we gathered blood from the cage.

Thanks JC, but in no way does that video constitute confirmation of Sasquatch.

And by the way, when interrogating a witness, don't describe what he saw to him. That's called "leading the witness." Let him describe it.

I found the show very interesting, but I have grown very suspicious of Mr. Johnson's stories. How can one person experience so much extraordinary sightings and come away with ZERO evidence?

His citing of Anthony Sanchez's book was also greatly disappointing. When Chris challenged him on that, Mr. Johnson backed off and essentially changed the subject.

When Chris challenged Mr. Johnson on his conclusion that a particular piece of evidence indicated Sasquatch, Mr. Johnson's explanation was lackluster and he subsequently trailed off onto another subject.

Mr. Johnson, we do appreciate you coming on the forums to defend yourself and I was very interested in the subject matter. You sound like a good guy but I am deeply suspicious of the myriad of stories you tell and the lack of evidence to corroborate your experiences.

Our latest investigation. Of course the nay sayers would tell us these people did this to their sheep just to get on you tube? Blessings.
BTW- Snakes are kinda slimy when they are wet.

slippery yes, slimy no. you must be thinking of a worm.

Bloodless? wtf is that all over the sand at 4:17?

J.C. Johnson seems to be one lucky investigator. If he is to be believed, then he has had a slew of encounters with and observations of cryptids. If he is not on the up and up, he is at least a good yarn spinner. All and all, it was an entertaining and absorbing episode.
I agree. I didn't believe a word of it,,,, but what a great storyteller!!

Question for J.C.- Have you ever investigated cryptid sightings in Wisconsin? We have many American Indian reservations in our state (Menominee County is itself sovereign land of the Menominee Tribe), and I'm wondering if you've ever connected with folks out this way and/or heard/seen stories of mysterious creatures in my neck of the woods. Thanks!

Back