• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

NASA News Conference

I found out it's to admit that the "face on Mars" is actually a perfect likeness of Richard Hoagland and that Global Warming is actually caused by the Reptillians in preperation of Terraforming the planet! This is Big! Real Big! :cool:

NASA announcement about extraterrestrial life Thurs Dec. 2nd

I think it will be about the Cassini spaceprobe registering a thin atmosphere of oxygen on a moon orbiting Saturn, will be interesting.

Looking forward to this but don't forget the Martian meteorite.

Ah, forget about that. That was then and this is now. I'm excited as hell. :)

Well, even if it isn't earthshaking, two years ago people would have laughed at the idea of water/ice on the moon. Step by step more information is coming from NASA it seems.

I like that. ;)

NASA is in panic mode, funding cuts galore. These press conferences are a last ditch effort to drum up awareness of their activities and maybe help in getting additional money for the next fiscal year ;)
... Last press conference was about a very small black hole in a nearby galaxy (discovered 20 years ago)

NASA is in panic mode, funding cuts galore. These press conferences are a last ditch effort to drum up awareness of their activities and maybe help in getting additional money for the next fiscal year ;)
... Last press conference was about a very small black hole in a nearby galaxy (discovered 20 years ago)

Agreed but the last one featured scientists with specialties in that sort of thing. Here is a list of the participants for this conference.

Participants are:
Mary Voytek -- Director of the Astrobiology Program at NASA

Felisa Wolfe-Simon a NASA astrobiology research fellow

Pamela Conrad -- Astrobiologist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center

Steven Benner -- a Distinguished Fellow at the Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution

James Elser -- an Arizona State University Professor for Evolutionary Ecology

That cast sounds like a cast of folks that could be announcing the discovery of microscopic life someplace.

Yep, maybe another announcement about a meteorite from Mars, and fossils of organisms. Ames has had much to do with Mars research.

I bet they announce—for the 3rd time—the discovery of water & ice on Mars. They'll say they've triple checked everything, etc.

edit: Could be something related to that recent interception with a Comet ( was it with Japan ?). Anyway, maybe they've detemined it contains the building blocks of life, Amino Acids etc. Panspermic Evolution related stuff...

NASA???? I didnt know they were still around. Why has it been so long since they have been to the moon? Did they accomplish what they needed to? Was it just to prove the good ole USA could do it? Are they doing stuff on the moon now that we dont know about? hmmmmmm

I bet they announce—for the 3rd time—the discovery of water & ice on Mars. They'll say they've triple checked everything, etc.

It's got to be something else--you don't need experts on molecular evolution and evolutionary ecology just for that. :)

edit: Could be something related to that recent interception with a Comet ( was it with Japan ?). Anyway, maybe they've detemined it contains the building blocks of life, Amino Acids etc. Panspermic Evolution related stuff...

Maybe. But I bet it's something to do with Mars again.

If Nasa announces life elsewhere, it will not be the life we love to hear about, that conference if ever happens will be a global-event involving lot of talking heads and politicians and military brass.

Fascinating !

NASA is saying that this is "life as we do not know it". The reason is that all life on Earth is made of six components: Carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.
That was true until today. In a surprising revelation, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon and her team have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today, working differently than the rest of the organisms in the planet. Instead of using phosphorus, the newly discovered microorganism-called GFAJ-1 and found in Mono Lake, California-uses the poisonous arsenic for its building blocks. Arsenic is an element poisonous to every other living creature in the planet except for a few specialized microscopic creatures.

Alien DNA !

Wow, now we have to start thinking about other permutations with other components potentially enabling other functional life forms in wildly different environments that we have tagged impossible for life as we used to know it ::)

This throws a huge wrench in our search for life program lol.... our definition is no longer valid.

Well, i hope the scientific community jumps on to this, after all, all we knew from biological 'life' was tied to H2O and O2 and as in the article stated ' Carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus and sulfur'. This is far more interesting than many people realize.

Back