• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mysterious Universe

D

daiello

Mysterious Universe in my opinion is the best podcast on the web. David and Gene could learn a lot from Ben (the host). Don't get me wrong i love the paracast, it is just sometimes they act like they are on this pedestal of knowledge that no one else is privy to know. David acts like he is the almighty God of paranormal activity. Mysterious Universe is just all around better done, more variety, not just UFO and alien activity. Please don't think that i hate the show, because i don't. Just look at this as a little friendly advise from a concerned fan, thats all.

Uh... paracast covers all sorts of topics, not just UFO/alien fare. And you'way off base about David. Don't mistake resolution for arrogance.

daiello said:
Mysterious Universe in my opinion is the best podcast on the web. David and Gene could learn a lot from Ben (the host). Don't get me wrong i love the paracast, it is just sometimes they act like they are on this pedestal of knowledge that no one else is privy to know. David acts like he is the almighty God of paranormal activity. Mysterious Universe is just all around better done, more variety, not just UFO and alien activity. Please don't think that i hate the show, because i don't. Just look at this as a little friendly advise from a concerned fan, thats all.

I kind of agree with this, not the comments about the hosts, but rather the almost complete focus on ufo's. When I first started listening to the podcast there was definetly more of a mixture of topics but for the last 3-4 months it has pretty much been all ufo's all the time. Some more variety would be cool.
jc

dipdog21 said:
I kind of agree with this, not the comments about the hosts, but rather the almost complete focus on ufo's. When I first started listening to the podcast there was definetly more of a mixture of topics but for the last 3-4 months it has pretty much been all ufo's all the time. Some more variety would be cool.
jc

Then people will ask for more ufo shows :)

A.LeClair said:
Then people will ask for more ufo shows :)

It's a bit of a juggling match with one show a week, but we have a variety of topics we want to explore, and I assure you it won't just be UFOs.

I think the reason we have a lot of UFO coverage is that the guests involved with UFO stuff seem to seek us out. It's not easy getting folks to come on a show where they know they're gonna get asked tough questions, especially psychics - they can foretell that we're not going to give them an easy ride, and decline to come on and speak with us.:p

We're working hard to bring other types of material into the Paracast, in fact, next week we're interviewing Rob Fitzgerald, the host of the Dead Science podcast. Fascinating guy and his podcast is excellent, covering any and all aspects of death and dying. Not a UFO to be seen!

I really like Mysterious Universe, but I think it's a completely different show than ours. Ben is very positive and upbeat, but he's not exactly asking anyone tough questions. That's fine, his coverage of topics is excellent and his show is well produced. They also charge $$$ now, so it's a fulltime, profit-driven gig for him. If Gene & I ever get to that point, watch out! Both of us do this as a labor of love right now, we're both trying to earn a living and feed ourselves, Gene with a family and a son in college. He's got to work, as do I - over the next week and a half, I've been hired to create a bunch of animation for Elton John's 60th birthday party at Madison Square Garden, lots of late nights and burning the candle at both ends to actually get it done - we fit The Paracast into already busy schedules. We'd be happy to work with any of you that would like to help us line up good guests, if there's someone you think we should interview and you'll willing to reach out to that person and make the initial contact, let's talk. There are only so many hours in the day for us to find people, produce the show, get work done and have a life.

And as far as me being the end all and be all of paranormality, I respectfully disagree. I have strong opinions about things but I'm the first to admit that I am a student of this material, I've never claimed to be an expert of any of this stuff. If my personality comes across as strong, perhaps overbearing at times, welcome to my world. ;)

dB

David Biedny said:
I think the reason we have a lot of UFO coverage is that the guests involved with UFO stuff seem to seek us out. It's not easy getting folks to come on a show where they know they're gonna get asked tough questions, especially psychics - they can foretell that we're not going to give them an easy ride, and decline to come on and speak with us.:p

We're working hard to bring other types of material into the Paracast, in fact, next week we're interviewing Rob Fitzgerald, the host of the Dead Science podcast. Fascinating guy and his podcast is excellent, covering any and all aspects of death and dying. Not a UFO to be seen!

I really like Mysterious Universe, but I think it's a completely different show than ours. Ben is very positive and upbeat, but he's not exactly asking anyone tough questions. That's fine, his coverage of topics is excellent and his show is well produced. They also charge $$$ now, so it's a fulltime, profit-driven gig for him. If Gene & I ever get to that point, watch out! Both of us do this as a labor of love right now, we're both trying to earn a living and feed ourselves, Gene with a family and a son in college. He's got to work, as do I - over the next week and a half, I've been hired to create a bunch of animation for Elton John's 60th birthday party at Madison Square Garden, lots of late nights and burning the candle at both ends to actually get it done - we fit The Paracast into already busy schedules. We'd be happy to work with any of you that would like to help us line up good guests, if there's someone you think we should interview and you'll willing to reach out to that person and make the initial contact, let's talk. There are only so many hours in the day for us to find people, produce the show, get work done and have a life.

And as far as me being the end all and be all of paranormality, I respectfully disagree. I have strong opinions about things but I'm the first to admit that I am a student of this material, I've never claimed to be an expert of any of this stuff. If my personality comes across as strong, perhaps overbearing at times, welcome to my world. ;)

dB

David, you mispelled the word "it" in your signature file :eek:

That said, here's a couple Carlin quotes that I like:

"There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past."

"One can never know for sure what a deserted area looks like"

"Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live"

And I can personally vouch for this one:

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist"

...okay maybe one more:

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

Cheers! t :rolleyes:

While I do like MU, I can appreciate both shows for different reasons.

Paracast: I appreciate how GS and DB analyze the issues and don't blindly accept their guests' stories without question and analysis. For that matter, I like the fact that they have guests. The fact that any old paranormal topic isn't just haphazardly reported on boosts their credibility in my eyes. That doesn't mean that I like an all UFO program; I would love to see more variety in the topics as well with the same attention to detail paid towards them.

Mysterious Universe: I do like the variety of topics on this show. There seems to be no focus on any one paranormal topic. My two problems with it are:

1. It seems more like a one-stop shop for all things out of the ordinary, whether they are credible or not. For me that make the difference as to whether a show can be appreciated more for its newsworthiness or for its entertainment value. My understanding is that the host puts out 3 podcasts per week for subscribers and I wonder if that pace means that he's sacrificing quality for quantity (refer to the show that reports on the drug Havidol)
  2. Much of the show is read verbatim from the sources the host is reporting on (I haven't heard the subscriber content, just the free content). When I first heard the host I was really impressed. I thought that he was well organized and had a great audio presence the way he spoke but when I clicked on the sources one day while listening to it and found that this was due to his reading the news source, word for word, that he was reporting on. I'm not talking about one or two sentences, I'm talking about paragraph after paragraph.

David, you mispelled the word "it" in your signature file.

OMG, that is truly bad, I hang my head in shame. Thanks for pointing it out... it's been a long, long week.

dB

David Biedny said:

OMG, that is truly bad, I hang my head in shame. Thanks for pointing it out... it's been a long, long week.

dB

I didn't even notice it even though I read it twice. I have the same quote on another profile of mine at another site, so my brain probably recognized it and filled in the gap.

Funny, the person who pointed out the typo, made one in the word "mispelled".

daiello said:

So, you're asking them to dumb it down?

I find Mysterious Universe entertaining, however, Ben could learn a lot from David and Gene (grammar among other things). Right now, Mysterious Universe comes off as a young, hip (the first two adjectives being pejorative), slightly move inquisitive Coast to Coast and that leaves room for major improvement.

This comment reminds me of a review I saw on iTunes. It was for a terrible podcast but the silly little reviewer was lauding it for not being "pretentious" (no one seems to know how to use that word properly these days) and not "thinking it's better than anyone else." It seems like a little of that is going on here. David and Gene are using too many "big words" and it's making me feel bad - like, totally stop it you guys!

sheesh

I've only listened to a few of the MU shows but the one that stands out in my mind the most is the latest one with Stanton Friedman. Ben just lets Stanton talk and talk and talk without asking any questions. Several times Stan pauses to see if Ben is going to ask a question and there is nothing but dead air. Then Stan continues on. One gets the feeling that the host is not even there at all. Perhaps he was up getting coffee or taking a nap. Ben just didn't seem very engaged with the stuff that Stan was talking about. Maybe he was listening intently and nodding his head and just letting Stan run with it but I felt that he was sort of bored and uninterested. I feel that Gene and David are more serious and attentive with their guests and I appreciate that. Sometimes when a guest is talking about something that you know David wants to question or comment on you can feel the tension build as the guest finishes and David injects the question. That's an interested and excited host.

As far as Gene and David doing more shows on UFO's than on other paranormal topics... Well I guess one could call me prejudiced. The UFO subject is my favorite. Although I am fascinated with Ouija boards and if Gene and David would do a show on that subject then that would be sweet. Maybe they can try using a Ouija board and then can discuss their experiences on the air. They could be our Ouija board guinea pigs. :D

David Biedny said:

dB

Hey, that's what I'm here for...To point out petty, linguistic errors, as a means of attracting attention to myself, clearly at the expense of others. :rolleyes:

A.LeClair said:
I didn't even notice it even though I read it twice. I have the same quote on another profile of mine at another site, so my brain probably recognized it and filled in the gap.

Funny, the person who pointed out the typo, made one in the word "mispelled".

OMG! How funny. Read my prior post, you petty, spiteful bloke! :p

Well it seems if i have started quite the battle. now in no way was that my intent, i am not a troll. (Pinkey Swear) i think i was a bit harsh last night, but i stand for by what i said. now i do think mysterious universe and the paracast are very different shows, but sometimes David and gene lean to much on the skeptic side. on the other hand Ben believes everything. easy fix..... Love both shows for what they are. plus i was mad that when i posted an email about getting help for a college project, no one from the paracast's forum gave me any emails. all 217 came from mysterious universe's!!! now that i think about it though, the fans are probably a lot like the hosts, a little skeptic about things right!!!

Oh yeah David, Mysterious Universe is still free, but now you can subscribe for i think 8$ a month and get extended episodes, and 3 short episodes a week called mind shots. i think having ben on the paracast might make for an interesting interview for the second half of a program.

Question:

There's a forum poster on here by the name of 'The Hawk' who has a signature file that points to Mysterious Universe.

I was just curious of what his relationship is to that website.

I often wonder if I'm the only one that enjoys MU, Coast to Coast, AND the paracast for what they are . . . without having to swear a rabid allegience to any of them.

I like C2C for the high profile guests (and Ian Punnetts humor).

I like MU for the diversity of topics and the hosts personality/presentation.

I like the Paracast because Dave and Gene are almost as skeptical as I am regarding paranormal subjects and claims. They ask their guests many of the questions I'm often wondering myself as I listen to the interviews.

As the great Rodney King once said . . . "Can't we all just get along?"

Heh.

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
I often wonder if I'm the only one that enjoys MU, Coast to Coast, AND the paracast for what they are . . . without having to swear a rabid allegience to any of them.

I like C2C for the high profile guests (and Ian Punnetts humor).

I like MU for the diversity of topics and the hosts personality/presentation.

I like the Paracast because Dave and Gene are almost as skeptical as I am regarding paranormal subjects and claims. They ask their guests many of the questions I'm often wondering myself as I listen to the interviews.

As the great Rodney King once said . . . "Can't we all just get along?"

Heh.

-DBTrek

No. You're not alone. I've confessed before to being a C2CAM junkie! MU I've never listened to before. Should I?

I like it all. I even watch a local cable show called "The UFO Connection, with host Cynthia Siegel" out of Sacramento, Ca. It's pretty campy, and looks like it was filmed out of someones' garage, but what the heck...

Back