• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mysterious Universe

tomlevine1 said:
MU I've never listened to before. Should I?

I guess that depends on whether you feel like having more exposure to the paranormal fare or not. I prefer to have an abundance of information/views to the alternative . . . but it sounds like you already have a pretty full plate.

MU will hit you with a wider variety of topics per show than the paracast or C2C , but each will be explored in much less detail. I'd compare it to browsing the Google News headlines of the paranormal without being able to click on the links.

-DBTrek

I listened to Coast to Coast for a long while because it was, until I discovered pods, the only game in town. Thank heaven I discovered pods!

Anyway, I used to listen to absurd show after absurd show, through so many ridiculous claims, but said enough is enough when, one night, some trucker called George Noory and went on and on about how "The Rosetta Stone was stolen by England from the Scottish royals and now sits under the coronation throne at Westminster Abby and has mystical powers, etc., etc." George just listened (as he's wont to do) and said "Wow, that's really fascinating, I didn't know that - thanks for calling!" and then went on to the next thing.

Anyone who sees the problem with what I've just described will understand why Coast to Coast isn't worth listening to. Those who don't, enjoy the show.

Mysterious Universe isn't that bad but it skirts that level from time to time. Ben, the host, seems affable and he does question things now and then but the show is a very breezy, cursory look at the paranormal. That can be entertaining to have on one's iPod while walking in the park or to play on the computer while writing emails to friends, etc. but that's as far as its value goes.

If one wants an in-depth discussion of the paranormal with intelligent hosts, who bear a healthy skepticism toward the subjects at hand, then The Paracast is really one's best bet.

I hope Gene and David won't be influenced by the clamor and dumb down the show so some can like, totally, like, get, like, totally into it.
:)

interestedINitall said:
Oh, it's a college kid.

Mystery solved.

:mad: What the hell does that mean? If the topic was why am i like to go to parties and be in frats, maybe being a college kid would explain that topic. but the topic was an opinion i had about the comparison of 2 excellent shows. apparently you feel my judgment is clouded because of my status as a student, well that my friend is just plain ignorant.:mad:

Sometimes it feels like David and gene don't want to believe in the paranormal. now i know that isn't true, but it just seems that way sometimes. i love the show i wouldn't have it any other way, i just wanted to share an observation i had ****!!!

I like Ben's approach I don't want him to be more skeptical it would ruin the fun of the show.. He just reads random paranormal stuff nomatter how weird or unbelievable. He's a good story teller. There's no need for everyone to try and be a skeptical investigator. Unless it's someone who claims to be an investigator or talks with authority on the subjects.

mjw said:
I am fascinated with Ouija boards

You may have heard of warnings that Ouija boards pose psychological risks. These are rather obvious, in terms of possible dependency.

However, lesser known or realised are the very real physical risks, since one intends to permit ethereal entities control over parts of one's physical body.

Myterious Universe is different than The Paracast. One just reports paranormal stories and the other tries to uncover the credibility of the report. They are both very different, but both very good. You can't compare two different formats like that.

I agree with that, It just would be nice for the paracast to get off the ufo kick for a change, especially with all of the trash talking the two do about the state of Ufology.

The Hawk said:
I like Ben's approach I don't want him to be more skeptical it would ruin the fun of the show.. He just reads random paranormal stuff nomatter how weird or unbelievable. He's a good story teller. There's no need for everyone to try and be a skeptical investigator. Unless it's someone who claims to be an investigator or talks with authority on the subjects.

Okay, Hawk...reveal the mystery...End the Conspiracy...Enlighten us...Who the heck are you? If you aren't the host of the show, how come you have MU listed in your sig-file?

Here's one mystery we can solve directly..... ? ;)

daiello said:
:mad: What the hell does that mean? If the topic was why am i like to go to parties and be in frats, maybe being a college kid would explain that topic. but the topic was an opinion i had about the comparison of 2 excellent shows. apparently you feel my judgment is clouded because of my status as a student, well that my friend is just plain ignorant.:mad:

It tells me that The Paracast is too far over your head for you to be able to like it as it is - or to even follow it for that matter.

You actually wrote that the people on the Mysterious Universe message boards helped you with your little homework assignment while the people here didn't and you used that as part of your assessment of the quality of the show. It's that sort of juvenile nonsense for which I have no patience whatsoever.

If you need help with your homework, (if your grammar is any indication you really do) get a tutor. Maybe one day you'll be articulate enough to critique something with any real effect - but not today.

Good-bye
:)

Who am I?
I am Horus the Hawk, god of the eclipse and the all seeing Eye of Providence.. or perhaps I'm just some guy sitting in front of a PC chugging down a Dr. Pepper.

I'm not someone who works for MU.
I have it in my sig because I like the show..

eeeuuuwww.... a peecee and dr pepper. doesnt get much worse than that.

a mac and some kool aid is where its at.

You guys understand that Bill Gates owns a big chunk of Apple and this whole PC vs Mac thing is just an illusiary construct designed to make both compaines richer, right?

CapnG said:
You guys understand that Bill Gates owns a big chunk of Apple and this whole PC vs Mac thing is just an illusiary construct designed to make both compaines richer, right?

Actually, Microsoft invested $150 million in Apple once. But even that was part of the legendary Steve Jobs "Reality Distortion Field."

interestedINitall - I have to admit I'm a bit bothered by the slightly snarky and disrespectful stance you took upon discovering that daiello is a college student. Maybe members of the community like you are the reason that the youth of today aren't more interested in joining in the conversation on paranormal topics. I mean, why take part in a discussion where you ask innocent questions (in admittedly substandard grammar :p ) only to be smacked down by an elder member? It's discouraging. I understand you've lost all patience for the ignorance and excesses of youth but please try to stay positive in your interactions with your fellow posters.

So says Yakuzablitz, the still-feels-like-he's-in-college grad student.
:cool:

Yakuzablitz said:
interestedINitall - I have to admit I'm a bit bothered by the slightly snarky and disrespectful stance you took upon discovering that daiello is a college student. Maybe members of the community like you are the reason that the youth of today aren't more interested in joining in the conversation on paranormal topics. I mean, why take part in a discussion where you ask innocent questions (in admittedly substandard grammar :p ) only to be smacked down by an elder member? It's discouraging. I understand you've lost all patience for the ignorance and excesses of youth but please try to stay positive in your interactions with your fellow posters.

So says Yakuzablitz, the still-feels-like-he's-in-college grad student.
:cool:

Well, it is a shame you're "bothered" but c'est la vie.

It's odd that you list a catalog of reasons why he is a nuisance and then admonish me for not grinning and bearing it. Does your call to put up with idiotic children stem from the fact you're getting your degree in education? If so, then I applaud your pursuit and the patience it has afforded you. However, I don't share it and don't appreciate being told I must.

As for that stupid kid who whines that no one on here will help him with his homework, he's safely tucked away in my ignore box (where there is always room for at least one more).

Problem solved.

Back