• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

My Mackie Woes ...

Decker

Administrator
Staff member
Howdy all. Hope you are having a better weekend than I am, been in the middle of technical woes.

Back when I was doing a 5 nite a week show on the old "Liberty Works Network" they sent me a brand new Mackie 1202 VLZ board that I have used off and on for years. The thing appeared "bullet-proof" and if you know anything about this stuff, if your board ain't working ... well your broadcast goes to hell quickly.

For some time I have been dealing with a really bad and irritating "BUZZ" on the show and on Friday it evolved into loosing audio (from our end) that came and went during the show. It was a good thing that Rich Sarradet was in studio with me, while I fiddled with the equip. he kept the show on track with Greg Bishop. All in all it was a major pain in the ass. I got to take the Mackie to a repair shop which means it could be out of service for up to two weeks. What that means is, with out the board no show .. at least no live show. However one of my long time listeners, Ward, offered to come to the rescue with a "loaner" Mackie. Plus I put a call for help out to CyberstationUSA so as it looks right now, I should be ... note that ... should be up and running Tuesday.

Just wanted to let you all know.

Don

Gargh! I can't believe I missed the Rich Saradet and Greg Bishop show! I had a staff party the night before and slept through until about 1 in the afternoon with a horrendous hangover so I missed it :(

p.s. Ward Rulez!!

Howdy all. Hope you are having a better weekend than I am, been in the middle of technical woes.

Back when I was doing a 5 nite a week show on the old "Liberty Works Network" they sent me a brand new Mackie 1202 VLZ board that I have used off and on for years. The thing appeared "bullet-proof" and if you know anything about this stuff, if your board ain't working ... well your broadcast goes to hell quickly.

For some time I have been dealing with a really bad and irritating "BUZZ" on the show and on Friday it evolved into loosing audio (from our end) that came and went during the show. It was a good thing that Rich Sarradet was in studio with me, while I fiddled with the equip. he kept the show on track with Greg Bishop. All in all it was a major pain in the ass. I got to take the Mackie to a repair shop which means it could be out of service for up to two weeks. What that means is, with out the board no show .. at least no live show. However one of my long time listeners, Ward, offered to come to the rescue with a "loaner" Mackie. Plus I put a call for help out to CyberstationUSA so as it looks right now, I should be ... note that ... should be up and running Tuesday.

Don

Don, I feel your pain. I've had defective audio equipment in the past, but not recently. In saying that, however, the Mackie mixer I use for The Paracast and The Tech Night Owl LIVE, a DFX-6, has been working great all along. I do have a backup Yamaha mixer in case it fails, and several backup mics. Paranoia is my middle name. :D

Hey Gene, REDUNDANCY! rulez. Yeah, would love to have a "spare" lying around but no such luck. I always figured that the Mackie was as solid as the ol' boat anchor but ... time does wear on. If it is not too expensive perhaps I can get the 1202 VLZ back to spec. I was looking around at what was available today and if my wallet could only keep up with what is out there. That 1604 VLZ3 is just BEAUTIFUL, so if anybody wants to ... put it on my Xmas list! :)

Don

Hey Gene, REDUNDANCY! rulez. Yeah, would love to have a "spare" lying around but no such luck. I always figured that the Mackie was as solid as the ol' boat anchor but ... time does wear on. If it is not too expensive perhaps I can get the 1202 VLZ back to spec. I was looking around at what was available today and if my wallet could only keep up with what is out there. That 1604 VLZ3 is just BEAUTIFUL, so if anybody wants to ... put it on my Xmas list! :)

Don

There's loads of great stuff at Guitar Center. Indeed, you can buy something for $50-60 for use as a spare. Even if they don't hold up quite as well as a Mackie or another maker of quality gear, on the short term they'd probably sound just as good.

Then again, if you don't have the spare $50-60 at hand, it doesn't matter. :)

Gene,

Out of curiosity I took a peek at the Mackie Dfx-6 board on the web and Mackie no longers offers it. However they now suggest the ProFX-8 in lieu of the Dfx-6. It looks like a really nice set-up for around $230 dollars. There is a real ton of stuff just waiting ... course that is if you are in shape to ... indulge. My budget is currently on leave ... waiting for better days.

Don

Gene,

Out of curiosity I took a peek at the Mackie Dfx-6 board on the web and Mackie no longers offers it. However they now suggest the ProFX-8 in lieu of the Dfx-6. It looks like a really nice set-up for around $230 dollars. There is a real ton of stuff just waiting ... course that is if you are in shape to ... indulge. My budget is currently on leave ... waiting for better days.

Don

Very very similar with more channels. I feel your pain when it comes to having a budget, though. :)

I have 3 mixing consoles. Getting ready (in the somewhat near future) to buy a 48 input as my main studio board. Plus a couple of inline mixers for effects mixing. And preamps and channel strips. I am a gear slut. You can never have enough.

Don

Is that a 300 Bod

Hey Gene, REDUNDANCY! rulez. Yeah, would love to have a "spare" lying around but no such luck. I always figured that the Mackie was as solid as the ol' boat anchor but ... time does wear on. :)
Since the late 90's I've been using a Behringer MX 8702A as my keyboard mixer, live and in the studio. It is a six input (w/4 xlr inputs), 3 band EQ, FX send/return, phantom power, tape/line in&outs w/ trim, good meters, RCA+1/4 " inputs, etc. I got it new for $99. Its a little workhorse, quiet as a mouse... Worth checking out!

We use small Behringers and several Mackie VLZ series mixers where I work. They are all rock solid. I agree with Chris; if you need maximum value for price and don't need a whole lot of channels or features the Behringers are a very good deal.

We use small Behringers and several Mackie VLZ series mixers where I work. They are all rock solid. I agree with Chris; if you need maximum value for price and don't need a whole lot of channels or features the Behringers are a very good deal.

We use a Behringer MDX2600 as an outboard processor when we stream the show, mostly to boost "talk power" as they say on the radio stations.

So how's the reliability of Behinger versus Mackie these days?

1233357552-old_computer.jpg

Hey Don check out this system

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

_Radio_Data_System_Circuit_on_old_radio.jpg

We use a Behringer MDX2600 as an outboard processor when we stream the show, mostly to boost "talk power" as they say on the radio stations.

So how's the reliability of Behinger versus Mackie these days?

Mackie is probably a little better but the Behringer is still pretty reliable. I wouldn't advise against it based on reliability, for what we use it for, which is light PA and sound reinforcement.

Back