• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Musical Interests

I don't know if I should practice more or give up after watching this.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

NO, NO, NO,

You must never give up skunkape. Remember every guitar player that ever impressed you has been exactly where your at, at some time. I really believe most people could do what these guitar gods do given enough time, practice, lessons or better still just by getting out there to make a noise. Trouble is for most of us that's not always possible, having said that though I'm convinced we all have something of value to contribute to the world of music.

It's one of those things that is very important to me and even after all the shattered dreams and disillusionment I am still very grateful that I found an alternative language to express myself and I know you and many of us here feel the same way.

Funnily enough when music was brought up on this weeks show it reminded me of thoughts I've had about the possible usefullness of music in relation to communicating
with an alien intelligence. That probably sounds a bit wacky but what I'm driving at is because music has such a strong relationship to math, and the fact that along with that we are actually capable of creating such incredible sound sculptures that can evoke such strong emotions and impressions. That in some way I wonder if a more accurate picture of who we are might be seen through simply listening, and what I wonder might we hear in them.

Anyway,

"Surfing with the Alien", screw that I'de much rather jam. :)

Mark

NO, NO, NO,

You must never give up skunkape. Remember every guitar player that ever impressed you has been exactly where your at, at some time. I really believe most people could do what these guitar gods do given enough time, practice, lessons or better still just by getting out there to make a noise. Trouble is for most of us that's not always possible, having said that though I'm convinced we all have something of value to contribute to the world of music.
I wasn't being serious. I don't think I could kick if I tried. If I were stuck alone on an island with only two rocks, I would probably find a way to entertain myself making music with them.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Well as a 50 plus year old I'm the sterotypical 70's classic rock fanatic. I like the Eagles, Foghat and Fleetwood Mac. Queen especally "News of the World" album. STYX, espcially the Grand Illusion. I can remember riding around the mall back in the day. I felt bad (youthful angst.) ;) Ran into the record store and bought The Eagles "One Of These Nights" and popped it in the ole eight track. Felt better and rode around just listening to my new "album." Can't remember why I felt bad in the first place but never forgot the music. I also like the "California" cross over sound of Poco and of course I was into Willie Nelson and Linda Ronstadt. Hot Alabama nights with a "whiff" of uhh.."smoke" and Foghat blaring Slow Ride! :)

I wasn't being serious. I don't think I could kick if I tried. If I were stuck alone on an island with only two rocks, I would probably find a way to entertain myself making music with them.
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

I know you weren't being serious skunkape, and re sitting on a beach with a couple of rocks, I dated a jamaican nurse for a while and she told me that her brother and his friends used to hit the beach for the "Nyabinghi"
and if they had no drums they would use sticks and rocks.

Mark

Fleet Foxes are the real thing!

<object width="400" height="300" id="ce_89517863"><param name="movie" value="http://current.com/e/89517863/en_US"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://current.com/e/89517863/en_US" width="400" height="300" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" ></embed></object>

squarepusher is my shit... bass is my main instrument so he's a constant inspiration.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

his style is so diverse and inventive and out there, always have respect for thinking differently

Squarepusher is awesome. Check out his collaboration with Richard James Called "We Are Reasonable People. Good Stuff.
I am digging Fleet Foxes at the moment though. They remind me of America or The Band.

Cool stuff man, I can hear some of the DC hardcore influence. Do you guys gig in NoVA?

thanks man!

Yeah we've played a bunch of gigs in VA, mostly Fairfax for some reason -Jammin Java, Firehouse Grill, Fat Tuesdays, and some other places. My wife and I are expecting next month, so probably wont' be gigging again until the spring (I hear the first 3 months of a baby are totally insane!) Hopefully get some more recordings done though. If you want to join my meager email list with gig announcements, just drop me your email at [email protected].

Probably old news to lots of you, but I've just discovered these guys and I'm very impressed.

Mark

Wow that's a pretty cool video. I didn't know record companies still spent lots o money on those things anymore. Dudes voice reminds me of the singer in 3rd eye blind.

You can make music with just about anything if you use a little imagination.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Ahh, DC in the mid 80's, minor threat, Crippled Pilgrims, Scream, Nuclear Crayons, Static Disruptors, Bad Brains, the Real 9:30 club.....

As for you can make music with anything, Einstürzende Neubauten, Tom Waits...the blues musicians from the delta,

Unknown Hinson for President!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thanks for that skunkape, it made me smile,

Now check this one, and Gene if your reading this please, please, please can you lift the line "Keep up the good work men" from the movie and use it like you do "I guess this isn't Kansas anymore". You deserve it :D

<TABLE style="MARGIN: auto" class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 summary=table cellPadding=6 width=1 align=center><THEAD><TR><TD class=tcat colSpan=2></TD></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1><OBJECT width="425" height="350"><EMBED height=350 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=
wmode="transparent"></EMBED></OBJECT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

Soddin Relativity,

Mark

Back