• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

May "17th listener roundtable"

I love this type of show. I've said it before but I always learn more hearing somebody completely new describe personal experiences as opposed to the usual suspects rehashing decades old cases. I think I'm better able to absorb the outline of someone's story through a first person oral account whereas when somebody writes it out on a forum it is often dependent upon their written communication skills as to whether or not it is effectively conveyed.

I'd very much encourage Gene and David to make this type of show a regular feature and not even necessarily restrict it to the Paracast forums but just to try and collect anybody who isn't part of the ufo/paranormal media scene.

A few comments on points that raised on the show:

-Schuyler's "active disinterest" term describes it perfectly. I've run into this so often that I can recognize it immediately now which is good because I know when not to waste my time.

-I'm probably starting to sound tedious but if you haven't read Paul Hill's book, please please please do so before there is any more speculation on objects not being solid, turning into light, etc. This is core ufo curriculum. It sits beside Vallee, Clark, Ruppelt, Hastings etc and Hill easily has the most impressive CV of any of the aforementioned. If you are deep enough into this topic to be reading this post then if you haven't already read Unconventional Flying Objects it needs to be the next book you read.

It bothers me tremendously that in the three years of The Paracast to my knowledge his name has not been mentioned once by any guest or by the hosts.

I'm not without criticism of Hill as his presentation is clearly looking at the issue through the lens of rationalist engineer and I certainly don't think he has "solved" the mystery but many of his ideas and observations are the most carefully considered and best informed that have yet been presented in ufo research. During Skunkape's description of the orange triangle that became a light ball at high speed I was thinking to myself, "Well, that pretty much matches Hill's predictions exactly." Ok, I'm done. Last time I'm going to mention Hill.

-Secondly, while I'm not by any means a hardcore ETH proponent it does somewhat bother me that ETH is sort of viewed as invalid because of frequency of sightings/contacts and because of the general weirdness surrounding the phenomena. I can't say that either of these strike me as logical. There seems to be a great difficulty in shaking the notion that ETH=expensive travel by beings more or less like us. Anything too common or too weird that does not fit that preconception is pushed into the non-ETH box. This makes sense if it is enormously expensive to travel here from there. If it is not expensive then I don't see how we could put any upper boundary on number of visits. Since we have not yet had any contact with ET on our terms, ie discovering them and not vice versa, I think it's premature to put limits on ET abilities, motivations or general weirdness.

I say all this simply because I think the view is generally underrepresented on the show. Personally, I am every bit as intrigued by all the other theories and think there are very good arguments for them.

I don't usually have alot of time to comment on the forums but I had to say something about this show. This was an outstanding show, it's great to hear some stories from normal people who don't have anything to gain from their discussion. I like to hear David in these round table discussions just as last week, he shows a bit of a different side of himself, a little more relaxed. While I generally like the Paracast I found the end of the show arrived way too early this time, could've gone on for another couple of hours. Very engaging discussion. Please do more like this. This show was an excellent example of seperating signal from noise.

Of course, being a Texan, it was great to hear from two non stereotypical Texans on the show. Props to you guys for showing that not everyone from Texans is a bible thumpin' neocon who wants to secede from the US. But all the guests were great, I enjoyed listening to each of your takes on what this phenomena may be about.

I dont necessarily disagree completely with SarkozyAide, but I do agree with Ally. I HATE those multi-minute kiss ass intros that other shows do. I dont give a shit what the person has done for last 10mins.

Just give me a name, a brief description of why they are relevant and go from there.

The listener panel was an okay experiment, but I think the strongest programs are those where Gene and Dave interview a guest who has a level of expertise and a ready grasp of a great deal of information on particular mysterious cases, or when they take turns cross-examining individuals who have made eyebrow-raising claims of a paranormal nature.

Regardless, I'm just so hooked on the Paracast, I could listen to it all day, every day and never want to change the channel! :shy:

Gene and Dave are a talk show dream team!

Good Cop
genesteinberg.jpg
Very Bad Cop!
biedny.bmp

The listener panel was an okay experiment, but I think the strongest programs are those where Gene and Dave interview a guest who has a level of expertise and a ready grasp of a great deal of information on particular mysterious cases, or when they take turns cross-examining individuals who have made eyebrow-raising claims of a paranormal nature.

Regardless, I'm just so hooked on the Paracast, I could listen to it all day, every day and never want to change the channel! :shy:

Gene and Dave are a talk show dream team!

Good Cop
genesteinberg.jpg
Very Bad Cop!
biedny.bmp

Unfortunately, level of expertise in this field usually equates to some measure of bs, thats why i liked this program, a breath of fresh air from those who simply want answers to the bizarre things they have experienced instead of an agenda to sell books or conferences.

Since we have not yet had any contact with ET on our terms, ie discovering them and not vice versa, I think it's premature to put limits on ET abilities, motivations or general weirdness.

I concur and add that it's premature to put limits on ETs sense of humor. They'll require plenty of laughs when dealing with humanity.

Finished the show. Very enjoyable. I have to give big thanks to everyone who shared their very personal experiences. It's nice to hear that not everyone sounds like we do in Texas! And, in spite of some guests' misgivings, everyone sounded incredibly poised, articulate, and credible. It was good to put voices to names and great to hear such humility and honesty.

Gotta keep pickin' on ol' Skunkape, who sounds like the perfect good old boy (I'm gonna slap your face!) and then tosses off something like "faceted tetrahedral!" :)

I dont necessarily disagree completely with SarkozyAide, but I do agree with Ally. I HATE those multi-minute kiss ass intros that other shows do. I dont give a shit what the person has done for last 10mins.

Just give me a name, a brief description of why they are relevant and go from there.

Is that a condition of having heard those boring intros over and over ad nauseum on other shows, or biographies, or documentaries? I did appreciate them when I first got into this realm.

Is that a condition of having heard those boring intros over and over ad nauseum on other shows, or biographies, or documentaries? I did appreciate them when I first got into this realm.
We at The Paracast make it a habit of linking to a guest's site -- and most have one fortunately. That way if you want more information beyond the basics we present, you can check it out on your own time. Not ours.

I just think it comes off a little ass-kissy, and doesnt really suit the more conversational style that the Paracast has. Other shows have a format where theres a clear distinction between guest and host, and the guest is absolutely being interviewed by the host.

Paracast (and shows like Eerie) are more of a conversation.

Back