• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

March 9th - Jacques Vallee!!

ArizonaWill said:
valiens said:
Real like Jesus, Will?

Huh? Oh, I get it (I think). I forgot I was playing to a Jewish crowd. As I believe I said earlier a few times, the abductions stopped when I brought up the name Jesus Christ. Sorry if that conflicts with your heritage, buddy. I suppose with enough faith, it would work better for you if you appeal to Bathsheba, Moses or some other Old Testament Prophet, whatever fires up your pilot light.

Shalom.
Will

i beleive will that you asked them to STOP, (in jesus's name)
it may well have been the mental intent, not the deity invoked that did the trick.

and you make a good point, for some people jesus is a fake, and the worship of his graven image is the sin of idolitry.

ive always wondered how an ET would interpret our adoration of an image of a poor sod whos been nailed to timber.
crucifiction is a wicked torture, and i personally find the christ image a sad and pathetic one
if the ET know there is no such thing as god, then the christ story is simply one of mans cruelty.
from that perspectve nailing another bio form to a plank till he slowley dies is just disgusting
and i would have little hope of any natives who fnd this event "positive" ever having the mental maturity to be let loose in the galaxy and beyond

loved the show, an excellent guest with well researched insight and clinical approach

lets hope hes a boomerang

(they come back)

Loved the almost audible shift in brain-gears between the Vallee-Lite Coast to Coast appearance and today's Vallee-Full Bodied . He even managed to break my ipod (pesky device claims the show ran for two hours. No freakin' way!)

Also loved it when he started to talk about a Swiss farmer...! Could it be? Was he going to? No, he didn't. Phew.

Congratulations Gene and David on getting this special interview! I'm listening now and it sounds like its gonna be a terrific session. You guys are awesome.:)

Yup, great show. I think the hosts had a lot of questions they wanted to ask but didn't get to, but I think they took the high road and didn't rush the interview, letting it serve as an excellent all-round introduction to the man and where he's coming from. I do hope he comes back.

Interesting interview, and this is just an aside, but when the slag-dropping incident was mentioned by Dr. Vallee, the idea occurred to me that perhaps at least some technologies might utilize an ingot/heatsink solution if an emergency overheat condition develops.

A block of metal could be made to absorb a tremendous amount of energy quickly, then simply jettison it from the craft.

Great show Gene & David.
It was awesome to hear the separation of the actual "nuts and bolts" of what we know from the castles people build in the air.
I think it is really valuable when we clearly identify castle building (otherwise known as interpretation, speculation or hypothesis forming) from the actual observations. Good observations don't change. Our interpretation of them can and will. I believe the fear and inability to accurately record and account for all observations has always and continues to cripple the progression of science. It is why paradigm changes in physics require generational change.

Would love to hear more of Jacques view on the UFO origin hypothesis and the evidence that has led him there, and about what is similar and different in UFO sightings across the centuries, if he is able to dig deeper.

The last two shows have been particularly interesting. Looking forward to deepening my understanding of weird stuff.

I thought this was really good.

It was nice to hear someone to say unequivaocally in a media appearance "I studied this for years, and ETH doesn't work. Period. Stop." As D. Biedny notes, Vallee is diplomatic, but I think with some authors in the various spooky fields, there is that desire not to publically discard the most commonly known explanation (UFO = ET, Bigfoot = surviving homind, ghost = dead soul, etc.) for fear of losing attention and sales, even when your data or less well-known writings suggest that you should discard those ideas.

My favorite parts of the interview were when he discussed, in a careful manner, patterns from data, and made it clear that he and others actually work with data, rather than just presenting collections of anecdotes with mysterious framing. And I appreciated more insight into Hynek.

I have only two criticisms, one of a general meme that Vallee brought up, and one of the interview that I think was unavoidable.

The first is of the meme that quantum physics explains or approaches paranormal experiences and ideas. I'm no expert in quantum. I remember some from chemistry and physics classes, and I read the same stuff in the media others do. But it seems to me that because it isn't entirely well understood, because it allows people to do endless navel-gazing cosmology, because it acts in non-common sense ways, and because Heisenberg used the word "uncertainty" to talk about electron jumping, it is all too tempting to point at it and say "There, that's the answer!" To me, that is very similar to the late 1940s, and early 1950s, when space science was just getting off the ground and was all the rage pointing and saying "There, that's the answer!" resulting in the ETH. I don't fault the people in either age for applying the new scientific awesomeness of their time to mysterious things, because that's really all we can do, so long as we're cool with discarding that answer down the road.

The other criticism, of the interview is that I think Vallee's reputation sort of star-struck the interview, which is why it centered around the most basic issues rather than some of the more detailed stuff that Vallee has specifically done, such as the deception stuff and South America. But I think almost any competent people would have had the same problem (vs. say the incompetency of Norry and his angels, which I've only heard about, even Vallee can't make me listen to that show anymore), and as suggested at the end, in order to really get into that level of discussion, one would need to do a longer multi-session series, ala Bill Moyers' conversations with Joseph Campbell in The Power of Myth.

And thank you for not mentioning the movie, other than getting it out of your system before the interview began. Every article I see on him notes that "he is the real-life inspiration ..." So what? That's what interests you most?

Again, good interview, and I hope you are successful in getting him back to talk about the specifics of his research.

spookyparadigm said:
The other criticism, of the interview is that I think Vallee's reputation sort of star-struck the interview, which is why it centered around the most basic issues rather than some of the more detailed stuff

I was a bit disappointed honestly. He is long-winded, which wouldn't be a bad thing if he wasn't talking about basics as mentioned above.

I do think the good questions were left out. I didn't even get clear indication of how exactly he was re-entering the field of research, if he planned to form a group of scientists as he described.

Over all though, it had some interesting points. The good news is that he is likely coming on again.

I thought about the word disappointed when I wrote that. But I decided against it, because I did want to hear the stuff that we heard, too. Was it as rapid-fire like the Dolan interview? No, but that seems to not be compatible with with Vallee's style (and lets not forget he's being careful and thoughtful outside of his primary language, which will impact things).

spookyparadigm said:
one would need to do a longer multi-session series, ala Bill Moyers' conversations with Joseph Campbell in The Power of Myth.

Now there is a great idea. When considering the topic I have found it more and more useful to refer back to the ufo continuum.
continum.jpg

Even the few good ufo documentaries end up either narrowly focusing on one case or condensing 60+ years of data into a couple hours. What I wouldn't give to see something like The Power of Myth done that competently addresses each section of the continuum.

March 9th - Jacques Vallee!! - Very good

Gene and David,

I'll echo the "thank you!" that others have sent your way. I really enjoyed the episode and Jacques seems completely earnest in his ideas and very metered in his approach. I have to admit that I've not read a single thing he has written - shame on me, but I will buy Confrontations and Revelations
ASAP and give him a whirl.

As far as the content of the interview goes, my only slight criticism was that Jacques sort of bogged down in sections toward the end. A few of the anecdotes got me a bit confused as to motive for saying them and context to the rest of the conversation...just ended up a bit addled, I guess - just a wee bit at the end. Then again, just try to have a rational conversation that long with me and I 'm pretty sure I'd do a lot worse toward the end...eek.

As always, I am amazed that you guys can hold an interview together for that long, period. I bet I'd be down to the Adam Curry "Fold or Scrunch" level of quality within 20 minutes - if that.

Great job!

I've only read Passport to Magonia and an article he did for Journal of Scientific Exploration, though I've browsed one of the trilogy books. I'll pick them up eventually now that they're back in print.

Hit another home run guys.I dont agree with everything he says but then he has a briiliant mind and a connection from then to now.I hope he will be on again.Just awsome guys,great job!!:D

I'll have to have another listen, to be honest. I'm fairly new to a real interest in the UFO phenomenon and don't know much about it. I've heard of Mr. Vallee, tho, and am so glad he was on the show. I sometimes had a hard time understanding what he said, meaning both his accent and some of his ideas. I'll need to re-listen.
But it was a fascinating show and I do hope he'll be on again sometime.

I really hoped that the topic of deception would come up but there was no time. Maybe that can be addressed another time.

Thanks for another great show Gene and David!

Jacques Vallee!!

Of course Jacques is one of the great minds in the field, and the show was fascinating and Gene and David did a great job.

Now that we've covered his biography and basic history, I wonder if we can go into specific cases and more detail about his theories next time. He has moved into an almost Jungian take on the UFO phenomena, but has several other theories too. I would like to hear him discuss the various nuts and bolts UFO cases that do exist in the literature in the framework of his subtle intra-world theories.

I liked this show too. It's nice to have a humble, more sober guest on the program. I realize they're hard to come by in ufology so it's not possible to get one like Vallee every week. I haven't read anything by him but I'd be interested in looking into some of his stuff now.
There were a few things he said that made me wonder about him though. He said that typical Western mantra when talking about the pervasiveness of the supernatural that begins with "all cultures..." I wasn't really sure what he was even talking about, "all cultures" report strange aerial phenomena or the supernatural in general? Whatever it was, I wonder if he can really say give a blanket statement like that.

And that story about the Swiss man who disappeared...did I hear right that it was from the 1500s? I would hate to think we're supposed to be impressed with a 400-year-old tale about a rural mountain man who disappeared after going off to "repay a debt". With the debt element present it wouldn't even be that impressive if it happened last week in New York.

But anyway, I realize he was talking on the phone and that these things might be clearer in his books. Hopefully, we'll get to hear more of him! Has he agreed to come back?

Back