• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

March 1, 2015 — John Burroughs, Nick Pope and J. Patrick Fascogna

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
So Burroughs' is finally being treated by the VA for the injuries he says he sustained in connection with the 1980 Rendlesham Forest UFO incident. Is that decision by the U.S. government a "de facto acknowledgment of the existence of UFOs"?

Logically it is, spin-wise probably not sadly but it will be interesting to see who runs with the story. At the very least, with his media work these days, Nick should have multiple platforms from which to promote this development.

Thanks for stepping up filling in for me Gordon. I've had a really tough week (one of the worst I can remember) w/ an unbelievably difficult time dealing w/ my brothers's potentially catastrophic cancer diagnosis, a house guest from manic depressive hell, two magazine article deadlines and a nasty bronchial infection. All while having a busy week w/ GC tours coupled w/ the entire northern half of the state's cell phone and internet service going down AND a flat tire! When it rains, it pours and I'll be glad when this week is finally history...

Thanks for stepping up filling in for me Gordon. I've had a really tough week (one of the worst I can remember) w/ an unbelievably difficult time dealing w/ my brothers's potentially catastrophic cancer diagnosis, a house guest from manic depressive hell, two magazine article deadlines and a nasty bronchial infection. All while having a busy week w/ GC tours coupled w/ the entire northern half of the state's cell phone and internet service going down AND a flat tire! When it rains, it pours and I'll be glad when this week is finally history...
I'm sorry to hear about your brother, Chris. Barbara and I send our hopes for a miracle.

I don't think the diagnosis of Burrough's illness proves anything about UFOs. There was radioactive materials on the base to begin with.

Damn, sounds like one awful week. I'm sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis, I'll send some positive thoughts your way. I'm dealing with a similar situation with one of my family members, but things are looking up according to her last check up. She's already beaten the odds, lasting beyond the 6 months they gave her, hopefully it will be the same for your brother.

I wish you and your family the best during these stressful times.

I don't think the diagnosis of Burrough's illness proves anything about UFOs. There was radioactive materials on the base to begin with.

I see your point but the relevant thing is that the admission relates to the fact John was exposed to radiation from a UAP. Even if it could be argued John was damaged from radiation elsewhere, that doesn't matter as regards the fact the UK MOD accepted there was a UAP at close quarters.

Having said that, the levels of radiation even at such a base are still pretty minuscule for airmen going about their business. You would have to be very close to any nuclear materials, without shielding and for a duration, to be injured from any man-made radiation on base.
The levels of radiation for workers at nuclear power sites isn't even that great. It's all shielding and inverse square law for exposure. There is no chance Burroughs could have been significantly damaged by radiation from sources normally on the base, certainly because his job did not take him up close and personal all the time. Anyone at such a base who ever did would be properly protected and monitored with badges, geiger sweeps etc.

I visited a nuclear power plant as part of my degree and in addition to our radiation badges, our guide was showing us the levels as we went about the place and they were nothing to be concerned about. Don't quote me but aren't airline pilots in one of the riskier jobs in terms of radiation? Being high in sky, cosmic rays are stronger.

Not a problem Chris, was a great show to be in on. Sorry to hear of your brother's medical situation, and your generally shitty week - let's hope it improves soon.

Can someone explain how this radiation from the UFO only caused heart problems for him and no other witness?

I did ask John if Jim Penniston had suffered any ill effects and he answered fairly that that would be a matter for Jim to answer himself, but I got the impression there certainly were some medical issues but nothing more detailed than that. The exact same thought occurred to me; if proximity to this UAP was enough to cause serious heart damage to John, you would have to think everyone else was also at risk, at least everyone else who got as close or closer.

Of course, John hinted that there were parts of the experience that surfaced under hypnosis that he maybe did not consciously remember and while he is quick to point out that he has always been crystal clear with what he does consciously remember, one could speculate that perhaps John either got much closer/interacted with the object(s) or even perhaps the object targeted him somehow?

I am reminded that personnel witnessed a craft sending a narrow beam of light down to the weapons storage area - so what if a similar beam had struck John in the chest? This could have been deliberate or accidental/incidental and as such, there are parallels with Travis Walton, who now thinks being struck by some kind of electrical discharge may not have been a deliberate act on the part of the UFO occupant(s).

Of course the likelihood is that we will never get definite answers to many such questions.

Great Show and some contentious points "stonewalling" I do think so. However, we can't blame Nick for this as anyone who been in classified area would have sign their life away. This is a major step in right direction one also must remember reports can be manipulated through history and as show in the past in this crazy field such as MJ12 crap. Hope more comes out and not rely on one report. What s the bet the classified material is tip of the iceberg and all ready been destroyed prior to being released. Lets hope Larry Warren gets the same help from Veteran Affairs and to genuine civilians who encountered these events on bases and off. Is it human technology and can't rule it out and if not their must be a threat for all the "coverup"

I enjoyed the show. It was nice to hear Burroughs reaffirm that his account has not changed since the incident happened, a nice contrast to Penniston’s expanding account.

On the other hand, it would have been nice if Burroughs had not danced around Psychedelic_Alchemist’s question on Larry Warren’s claim that Wing Commander Gordon Williams met and communicated with alien beings.

The question was addressed at 1:20:37 in Paracast+. Burroughs said:

“…the person that has been accused of saying that, Larry Warren, says he didn’t say it like that. What he claims he said was, the only way he could describe it, was possibly beings. And that was put out on the CNN piece. “ (Burroughs then continues on by addressing the more general question of whether there was a non-human intelligence behind the events at Rendlesham.)

Possibly Burroughs is uniformed, or trying cover for Warren. Possibly today Warren is saying he “didn’t say it like that”. But in Left At East Gate, the 1997 first-hand account authored by Larry Warren and Peter Robbins, Warren makes a detailed claim of having witnessed Gordon Williams meeting and apparently communicating with beings who were non-human.

Here are a few excerpts from the first chapter of Left At East Gate:

“Suddenly, a staff car arrived at the end of the trail. Colonel Gordon Williams and other staff officers got out…

…The one light then broke into three separate glowing cylinders, each containing what appeared to be a living creature.

They were small, about three to four feet tall and somewhat ghostlike in appearance. They had large heads with catlike black eyes. I could not see other facial features. They were not human at all, but I was not frightened. Each wore very bright, almost silvery clothing. I could not see any life-support devices attached to the entities.

After a short duration, Colonel Williams approached them slowly. Standing about five feet apart, they seemed to stare at each other. Williams, well over six feet tall, looked down at them. The entities appeared to cock their heads back slowly so they could see his face. It was amazing. It was then I knew they were really alive. I could not hear any conversation. I don’t think there was any communication in the traditional sense, but I believe they were communicating.

Suddenly, behind me, I heard a loud noise, as if a tree had fallen in the woods. The beings’ arms immediately moved up close to their chests, as if in defense. They floated backward to a point almost under the craft. Now, I could see a white membrane cover their eyes.

After a tense moment, they slowly moved back towards Williams… Williams turned and faced the beings again. Their eyes were black again, arms at their sides. They glided to within five feet of the commander. Just then a master sergeant walked over…

Our group was told to return to the trucks and wait.”

None of the other primary witnesses corroborate anything close to Warren’s account.

@Sand - it seems pretty evident, if your quotes are accurate (I'm not questioning that of course!) that it is very strange to have what seems an account that cannot be mistaken for ET life (or non-human anyway) and have quibbling about how it was said.

Having reports of 'beings' isn't really something you would imagine gets reported-in a book-so incorrectly that anyone could later try and brush it off.

This struck me as weird too. Of course it is up to John only to account for himself and anyone who was with him the whole time. But I would think that anyone seeing ET up close on any night of encounter, would become common knowledge for all participants, even if they did not seem them themselves.

I'm not sure if it's irony or what but Nick Pope's prediction, as cited by Burroughs at the close of this show will be, if the case presented holds true, the single most important episode of The Paracast to date.

While I'm sure Chris would have championed just how truly significant this case just became, i found Goggs' military background to be critical in helping to make this one of the top episodes of all time. His measured & informed comments and questions brought the events into focus. The After the Paracast episode was also exceptional with even more strong commentary on a variety of topics.

Either you feel that psi-ops and military experimentation is still a possibility for this case as an explanation, or this, folks, is as close as it gets to being UFO proof, 25 years in the making. Point of origin is still to be determined, but this is landmark stuff and highlights some interesting technical features.

So Sorry to hear about Chris's horrible week, sending positive thoughts and energy his way...

Newbie question - how can I post a review?

Discussion comment - I can't believe, (well, I do believe) (damn government:mad:), that a person does not have access to their own medical files, and worse, that doctors cannot access patients medical history to help that person get important life saving medical treatment. If I heard right, none of the doctors can figure out why his particular exposure to radiation gave him heart issues, but seems like the answers would be in his classified files. For the files to be hidden from the person that experienced the classified event is just ridiculous. I will be following his case and sure hope Mr. Burroughs gets ALL of his file information

Back