• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mac Tonnies passes away

Only 34, but wise beyond his years.

I am REALLY bummed! Mac's abrupt passing is a major blow for the future of "theoretical ufology" for he was the brightest of a small, select group of a younger generation thinkers that we desperately need in this geriatric field of ETH'ers. His brilliant light has been extinguished far too soon and my condolences go out to his family, his friends and to all of us who have lost the many years we should have been graced with this wonderful man.

I met Mac back in late 2003 at Peter Gersten's house during a visit Mac made to Sedona. My first impression was that he was uncommonly poised and eloquently thoughtful for a young man in his 20s. We spent a relaxed but lively afternoon discussing his soon to be released book After the Martian Apocalypse and I was impressed that he was up-to-speed about my work in the SLV. I remember thanking Peter for introducing us and feeling so energized meeting Mac. I remember saying "…there is hope for the future of this field!"

I sincerely hope that his passing will not, in any way, impinge upon the release of his new book he was so excited and proud to share with all of us. I especially would like to convey my condolences to Paul, Nick, Greg and other dear friends who were close to Mac. After talking with Greg, I know this is going to be hard for you guys, but hang in there: you have plenty of folks who are pulling for you and his family in this difficult time.

I am REALLY bummed! Mac's abrupt passing is a major blow for the future of "theoretical ufology" for he was the brightest of a small, select group of a younger generation thinkers that we desperately need in this geriatric field of ETH'ers. His brilliant light has been extinguished far too soon and my condolences go out to his family, his friends and to all of us who have lost the many years we should have been graced with this wonderful man.

I met Mac back in late 2003 at Peter Gersten's house during a visit Mac made to Sedona. My first impression was that he was uncommonly poised and eloquently thoughtful for a young man in his 20s. We spent a relaxed but lively afternoon discussing his soon to be released book After the Martian Apocalypse and I was impressed that he was up-to-speed about my work in the SLV. I remember thanking Peter for introducing us and feeling so energized meeting Mac. I remember saying "…there is hope for the future of this field!"

I sincerely hope that his passing will not, in any way, impinge upon the release of his new book he was so excited and proud to share with all of us. I especially would like to convey my condolences to Paul, Nick, Greg and other dear friends who were close to Mac. After talking with Greg, I know this is going to be hard for you guys, but hang in there: you have plenty of folks who are pulling for you and his family in this difficult time.
What is SLV?

What is SLV?

America's best-kept paranormal secret, the San Luis Valley (south central CO/north central NM)—location of the top per capita region for UFO sightings in North America (4 out of the top 10 US counties, including #1, Saguache County) where I lived and field-investigated all through the '90s. For more info read: The Mysterious Valley books…

America's best-kept paranormal secret, the San Luis Valley (south central CO/north central NM)—location of the top per capita region for UFO sightings in North America (4 out of the top 10 US counties, including #1, Saguache County) where I lived and field-investigated all through the '90s. For more info read: The Mysterious Valley books…
This is as good a place as any. Paul and Greg are regulars here, and they will certainly convey the appropriate wishes to Mac's family. I know he was single, but I don't know about parents, brothers, sisters, etc.

I'm just some bloke from the uk who didn't know him, but I've heard his interviews he did on paracast, misterioso and his sharp intellect and ideas couldn't fail to leave a lasting positive impression.

may he truly rest in peace.

:frown:

Just depressing to read this info. As a human being, 34-years is not a fair shake IMO. Inparticular someone who was bright as Mac and had a lot to offer.

Here is something I took from Mac. I have not every really been comfortable with the transhumanism thinking. While I am still not, I am however more open to some of what is talked about because of Mac Tonnies. He took me from being close-minded on the topic to open my mind and at least listen.

He was one of the most lucid and interesting gusts on the Paracast. It's a damn shame to read this. I did not know him or anything, but a few of you guys were actual friends with him and I can only imagine how difficult this is for you guys. I am truly sorry for his friends and family as well.

RIP, Mac

Is there any central place where we can all leave tributes, and messages of condolence to Mac's nearest and dearest?

I think Gene meant to respond to your query, Siani... here is as good a place as any other, though I would hope that a memorial site might appear at some point.

dB

Thanks David, and Gene, of course. I hope Mac's family and friends will find some comfort in the fact that he was so well liked and respected.

Keep an eye on the blog Siani. posthumanblues.blogspot.com

Macs final post there is attracting a lot or comments. Maybe a member of Macs family will post a message there in the days to come.

As the song lyrics say, he trusted in his calling, and made sure it was true. He changed the fault lines, and he changed me, as he changed so many others.

Paul

Beautifully said. You put into words what I have been feeling since hearing the awful news.

Gene --

Thank you for letting us know in the Paracast newsletter. Otherwise I might not have picked up on this for ... who knows how long.

I didn't know and correspond with Mac for very long, but I always found him to be thoughtful, considerate, and simply a nice guy. (Frankly, one of the few people in the UFO community that I would consider inviting to my home for dinner.)

He will be missed, truly.

Having just turned 34 myself recently this is doubly upsetting news. I'm actually kind of angry he's died. It's not fair, not fair at all...

For me, that's one of Life's most bitter pills to swallow: the seemingly random, unpredictable way fates are dealt out.

I choked on that one again this year when a colleague of mine found that uterine cancer had come back after surgery and a few months of being seemingly in the clear; and when it came back, it was only a matter of a few weeks and she was gone at the age of 47.

This during the same period in which we were looking forward to celebrating my grandmother's 103rd birthday. It just boggles my mind when I think of all the things that could have taken her down over all those years. She was born in a rough little farm house with no electricity or running water, and no doctor. She grew up without the help of penicillin or any other modern medicines. She remembers childhood friends and neighbors who died during the mother of all flu pandemics in 1918. So just her making it to the age of 12 was almost a miracle in itself! Yet here she is today after countless others have fallen.

The news of this loss is inexpressibly sad. Perhaps we can also pay tribute to Mac by looking at our own lives and at those around us with renewed feelings of appreciation, and by remembering to show those we love--in ways large and small--just how much we love them, every day.

No one can predict what tomorrow will bring ...

glee_01.jpg

Sigh...

So I create an obit post for Mac on MetaFilter, a favorite website of mine. One of their moderators deleted it because I included links to a few of Mac's Paracast interviews, and self-linking in primary posts is considered taboo on MF. I just put up a post on their section discussing site policies.

Frustration ain't fun.

dB

Sigh...

So I create an obit post for Mac on MetaFilter, a favorite website of mine. One of their moderators deleted it because I included links to a few of Mac's Paracast interviews, and self-linking in primary posts is considered taboo on MF. I just put up a post on their section discussing site policies.

Frustration ain't fun.

dB

What the hell? Does the mod have the ability to read?

Why couldnt they just edit the post rather than delete the whole thing. If it was a thinly veiled attempt to self-promote then fine, delete it, but when the content of the post is clearly a tribute to a person who left us unexpectedly and too young then it just boggles my mind how someone could delete that.

Hmmm

Well after reading the threads in question I get the impression the golks over there take that place a little too seriously. Whats the deal... is it hard to get accepted as a member or something?

Thanks Paul for your tribute.

From my knowledge of Mac from listening to the shows on the Paracast and viewing Posthuman Blues I respected his intellect and temperance.

He always made me think about the possibilities and I am grateful to him for that.

I'm sad to hear of his passing and send my condolences to his family and friends.

Looking forward to a tribute show.

Mark

Ordinarily nothing would induce me to join a forum and post a message but Mac's passing has changed all that.
I recently listened to Mac on 'Coast' and nothing would induce me to do that normally, but it was Mac, so I waited with bated breath for him to respond to the inevitable angel question - which he royally sidestepped. I found his patience with some of the nonsense thrown at him admirable, and it showed us the measure of the man. He was great.
It's easy to take a back seat sometimes, in the knowledge that the future of the paranormal subject was in great shape with a rising star like Mac, commenting with real imagination, skepticism and intelligence.This subject cannot afford such a loss.
I'm going to post again.

R.I.P Mac Tonnies.

Condolences. What a tragic loss.

Heard him last on Coast. He set the bar high with intellect and a way of expressing a point of view matched by few.

Welcome, Thunderbird4. This is a good place, where you can say whatever you want. That's pretty rare.

Mac was one of a relatively few people who make the paranormal a tolerable subject for a sensible person to explore. There are a lot of them, when you get to counting, but the teeming masses of nutjobs, frauds, and idiots generating huge amounts of worthless noise can be overwhelming. Mac calmly pointed out that we may have all been asking the wrong questions for generations, and people with brains listened. He will be sorely missed. The fact that he was also just a great guy, who died way too soon only makes it harder to take.

Back