• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Mac Tonnies passes away

P

Paul Kimball

All,

I hate to be the bearer of horrible news like this - especially this news - but Nick Redfern has just informed me that my dear friend Mac Tonnies has passed away. I don't have any further details at this point, but will provide them as they become available. He hadn't been posting for several days, and people got concerned. Now we now why.

I actually feel sick. Physically sick.

Rest in peace, Mac. To say you will be missed doesn't even begin to cover it.

Paul

So sorry to hear such news, my condolences to his family and friends. He was a person i admired and respected, his passing is a loss to this subject in my opinion .:(

This is terrible news. I'm greatly saddened to hear this. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Such a major loss with his passing. :frown:

OMG, I'm stunned. What happened? That is incredibly sad. Paul, please provide details as you get them, Mac was one of the most decent folks I've ever had the pleasure and honor of speaking with, and this is totally devastating.

dB

OMG, I'm stunned. What happened? That is incredibly sad. Paul, please provide details as you get them, Mac was one of the most decent folks I've ever had the pleasure and honor of speaking with, and this is totally devastating.

dB

Hi David,

From what I hear from Nick, it was natural causes, yesterday. That's all that's known at the moment.

Like you I'm stunned. He was the best of us, and will be missed more than he could have known.

Paul

Paul,

I'm sitting here in tears. Mac passed on my birthday.

So perhaps it's not the right moment to ask, but obviously, we need to do a Mac tribute show. You, Nick and Greg. No commercials, just two hours of Mac stories. We'll do right by Mac, he deserves it. Say when, and it will be so.

dB

Paul,

I'm sitting here in tears. Mac passed on my birthday.

So perhaps it's not the right moment to ask, but obviously, we need to do a Mac tribute show. You, Nick and Greg. No commercials, just two hours of Mac stories. We'll do right by Mac, he deserves it. Say when, and it will be so.

dB

David,

Anytime, anywhere... just check with Nick and Greg to see when they're available, and I'll be there. Yes, we will definitely do right by Mac.

As with you, I've actually cried today, which is pretty rare for me (stiff upper lip and all). But I've been flooded with so many good memories of Mac that it's all coming into perspective a bit better after the initial shock. But wow, will I miss him.

Paul

What a total drag. I noticed that he hadn't posted on his blog for several days. He was very young to die of natural causes. What a loss.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

<center>"The Appointment in Samarra"
(as retold by W. Somerset Maugham [1933])

The speaker is Death

</center> "There was a merchant in Bagdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, Master, just now when I was in the marketplace I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me. She looked at me and made a threatening gesture, now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me. The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the marketplace and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, Why did you make a threatening getsture to my servant when you saw him this morning? That was not a threatening gesture, I said, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Bagdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

An appointment we all have to keep. I knew Mac only through his words but he seemed the type of man who would , rather than flee from Death, have rather sat down and interviewed her prior to keeping his own appointment.

My deepest condolences to Mac's family and to those of you here and elsewhere who truly called him "friend". I wish to extend that to those who wished they could have, a group of which I find myself a dedicated member of. Maybe someday...

I pray the Universe blesses the spirit of Mac Tonnies, who is gone too soon....may he rest in deepest peace.

~Jonah

This is just the saddest, most unexpected thing.

I look forward to that show with the rest of the gang to swap stories, memories.

Life is so damned short. :(

I am absolutely stunned and speechless. I had to read the thread subject line twice to make sure I got it.
My sincerest condolences to Mac's friends and family.

I am absolutely stunned and speechless. I had to read the thread subject line twice to make sure I got it.
My sincerest condolences to Mac's friends and family.
For some odd reason, the Billy Joel song, "Only the Good Die Young" came to mind. He must have been early 30s or thereabouts. This is just so sad!

I can't add anything to the words already spoken. What a tremendous loss to this field and to his friends. Anyone who ever heard him speak considered him a friend. I hope there's some way to get his crypto book published.

I can't add anything to the words already spoken. What a tremendous loss to this field and to his friends. Anyone who ever heard him speak considered him a friend. I hope there's some way to get his crypto book published.

Apparently he had just finished his manuscript, so fingers crossed.

The last time I spoke to Mac was about two hours before his big C2C appearance - he called me because he was nervous, and he knew I had done three hours with George before. We chatted for about an hour, and then he had an incoming call - "Sorry Paul, gotta go - it's a girl!" I just smiled and said "break a leg" on C2C, which he did (he hit the proverbial home run).

I encourage everyone to go to his website at www.mactonnies.com and check out some of his short stories. Along with being a great guy, he was a very talented author.

Paul

I'm shocked gutted and my stomach just went through the floor.
This is terrible news I'm so sorry to hear this, I'm really shocked. Only the other day I was listening to an old show with Mac talking about Mars, I just cant believe this.

RIP Mac you are sorely missed.

Mark

What really bums me out about this is that through his blog I learned about trans-humanism and the futurist movement so for him of all people to be gone is very much a shock.

Mac definitely had one foot forward in the promise and hope of what the future might hold. Very sad that someone who thought and wrote so much about it won't be around to see it unfold.

Back